My Hyung

Suho / Kyungsoo Drabbles

 

We were always the best of friends, Joonmyun and I. For as long as I could remember.

When I was 5, my family moved into our new house and was greeted by our new neighbors. That’s when I met a 7 year old boy by the name of Kim Joonmyun. His parents invited my parents over for tea and they left us to play with each other.

He sat in front of me, eyeing me up and down. I tilted my head to the side, wondering what he was thinking, and then he spoke.

“I’m Kim Joonmyun!” He spoke loudly. “What’s your name?” He said leaning close to me.

“D-Do Kyungsoo.” I had said softly. I was always a timid child.

He flashed a pearly white smile. “I like your eyes, they’re big.”

“Thanks.” I said softly.

He put his arm around me. “From now on, I’m going to be your hyung you got that?”

I give a light nod.

“Good, now repeat after me! ‘Joonmyun hyung is my hyung.’” He said happily.

“Joonmyun hyung is my hyung.” I repeated, but quietly.

“Louder Kyungsoo-ah!”

“Joonmyun hyung is my hyung!” I almost yell.

“And don’t you forget it!” He said ruffling my hair a bit. “Now let’s go and play!”

----

I was 10 and in the 5th grade. Joonmyun hyung had gone off to middle school already and so I felt alone in elementary school because Joonmyun was always there to protect me and help me.

But without him, I was lost.

Soon enough, the bullies started to pick on me because I always looked like I was scared or in shock and basically I was an easy target.

I tried to ignore them the best I could, but they always got under my skin.

Joonmyun saw me crying after school one day and he asked me what was wrong. I told him it was nothing, but he didn’t believe me.

The next day when I was leaving school, the bullies had come up to me again and started pushing me around. I had fallen to the ground, afraid of what would happen next so I closed my eyes and covered my face.

The next thing I knew, I heard the bullies screaming in pain. I looked up to see Joonmyun holding out his hand and the bullies laying on the ground, groaning in pain.

“Next time, pick on someone your own size!” He yells at them, pulling me away. “You should’ve told me bullies were picking on you.” He held my hand as we walked home.

“I’m sorry.” I say quietly. “And thank you.”

“Of course! I’m your hyung! I’d do anything for you.” He smiles at me with that shining smile.

The bullies stopped picking on me and were even somewhat afraid of me.

----

I was 16 years old, and I had gotten rejected for the first time from a girl. I thought she was really cute and the school dance was coming up, so I decided to ask her.

Unfortunately, she was already going with someone.

I sat in my bed, sulking when there was a knock at my window. I was confused because it was late at night, and my room was on the second floor. I open it to find Joonmyun hanging onto a branch.

“Yah! Hurry up and pull me in!” He says holding out his hand. I take it and pull him in, causing us to come crashing down with him on top of me.

“Sorry little Kyungie.” He says smiling while getting up. He sits down on my bed and pats the spot next to him. “I heard you got rejected. Is that why you’re not at the dance right now?”

I sit down and slowly nod. He puts his arm around me and pulls me closer so I was leaning on his shoulder. “It’s okay. I’m sure you could’ve done better anyways.”

I look up at him and he smiles down at me. As if it was an instinct, I lean up to kiss him, giving him my first kiss. It was soft, sweet, and quick. I pulled away, realizing what I have done.

I stand up wanting to get out of there as soon as possible, even though it was my room. He stops me as he takes a hold of my wrist. He stands up to meet my gaze.

He cups my face in both of his hands. “I’m still your hyung.” He leans in and places another kiss on my lips.

It was better than the first.

----

I am 19 years old, waiting for him to come back home from his enlistment. He wanted to go in early so he could get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I stand there, fiddling with my thumbs, nervous about not seeing him for such a long time, even though I visited him as often as I could, it had been 6 months since I’ve last seen him.

I look up to see a familiar face walking towards me, dressed in a uniform and bag in hand. I notice his million watt smile as he starts to run towards me.

I can’t contain my excitement as I run towards him also. I basically jump into his arms, wrapping my arms around his neck as he spins me around.

He finally sets me down and stares into my eyes. “I’ve missed you Kyungsoo.”

I smile at him. “I’ve missed you too.”

He wraps his arms around me and gives me a tight hug. I bury my face as I smile into the crook of his neck.

Joonmyun hyung is my hyung. And I’m glad that will never change.