Photo Albums

Paper Mâché

9.

Reading people is something that Kyungsoo likes to take pride in. After moving here and there, he began to realize patterns in the people around him and started to categorize them. Upon meeting someone, he would usually figure out a category for them and predict their words and actions accordingly. A recent example of this would be the type-two ‘popular’ leader and his response after Kyungsoo greeted him with his fist…multiple times.  

Kyungsoo would like to believe that he had Kai all figured out. He had more than enough time and interaction with Kai in order to create an accurate reading. However, after lying down on his bed at night and thinking really hard, Kyungsoo realizes he actually knows nothing about Kai. They never really talked much about themselves or their past. However, Kyungsoo is pretty sure that Kai somehow knows more about him than he knows about Kai. And Kyungsoo hasn’t figured out if that’s a good or bad thing yet.

Kyungsoo's desire to figure Kai out was starting to consume him, despite the fact that his usual anti-social routines made the very idea so scary. He then came to the conclusion that he couldn't read Kai because he had never met someone like Kai before. Kai was a mystery, and Kyungsoo loved mysteries. 

One evening, Kai invited Kyungsoo out. Kyungsoo was not told that they were going to a swanky art exhibit. So, he was left standing next to Kai, who was wearing black slacks and button down shirt (a few of the top buttons left open, giving Kyungsoo a good eyeful of Kai’s caramel skin), with just a regular jacket and jeans. Kai reassured him that he looked fine. Kyungsoo just glared back. He also ignored Kai telling him his pouting face was cute. Kyungsoo was not cute. He was…He just wasn’t cute.

They sat down at a cushioned bench which was situated in front of a landscape painting. It depicted a beautiful countryside view with clear skies, luscious green fields, and assortments of country flowers. They both sat there and stared at the painting. Though when a server came by with hors d'œuvres, they always snatched a handful (ignoring any type of glare given by the servers when they emptied the trays). They were quiet. The taste of a salty cream mixture lingered on Kyungsoo’s tongue after he swallowed some sort of cracker delicacy.

Kyungsoo felt his heart race a little. It was the perfect time. Move lips, form words, make sounds, enunciate.

“You know, my father disapproves of the arts.”

Kyungsoo turned to Kai, processing the words left hanging in the air between them. “Why?” he found himself asking.

Kai shrugged his shoulders and leaned back, eyes glued to the painting in front of them. “He thinks it’s a waste of time and that it won’t amount to anything.”

Kyungsoo stares at Kai and attempts to read him but Kai is wearing his guarded expression. He’s guarding well, Kyungsoo admits, but it’s too guarded to be considered natural. “Does he know you draw?”

Kai lazily glances over Kyungsoo’s way before he returns his sights on the artwork. “No,” He sighs. “He thinks I want to go into something respectable, like business or law.”

“Art’s respectable,” Kyungsoo mumbled, looking down to his lap. He thinks back to Kai sketching, Kai painting, Kai using his hands to make something wonderful. How could that not be considered respectable? What Kai did with his imagination everyday was way better than someone receiving good marks through simple memorization. 

A hand laced through Kyungsoo’s and squeezed. “Thanks,” Kai whispers and Kyungsoo can feel his sincere gratefulness through the statement. It makes him a little happy. He tries to fight back a smile and somehow succeeds with minimum facial spasms. He fondly looks to the countryside in front of them and a spark of an idea hits Kyungsoo.

“Why don’t you—” He starts but soon stops. Maybe it wouldn't be the best to bring up the idea. He wasn't fond of potentially ruining the calmness that had just settled back into the air.

“What is it?” Kai nudges Kyungsoo, turning his way a little, “Continue what you were saying.” Kyungsoo especially wanted to keep his mouth shut after witnessing Kai’s small grin. He had no desire to be the one to take that smile away. “Stop looking at me like that. It’s okay, just tell me.” Kai says and rubs his thumb over the top of Kyungsoo’s hand.

“It’s just…” Kyungsoo paused, collecting his wording, “I thought, maybe, you could show him what you’ve done and maybe he would rethink what his thoughts are on the arts. I mean, your work… it’s great, Jongin.”

The smile doesn’t go away; however, it’s replaced by something a little more strained and bitter. “I could, but I’m, I guess I might be a little scared. My father and I don’t have a great relationship to begin with. I’m afraid our relationship would suffer even more if I did show him my passion for art.”

Kai’s façade was starting to break a little. His smile faltered and his eyes shone slight distress. Kyungsoo was a little shocked by the turn of events. He'd thought he wouldn’t dislike anything more than Kai’s blank stare, but Kyungsoo quickly found out that he much preferred blank Kai to upset Kai. He needed to do something, anything to get Kai back to his regular self.

“You know, I didn’t care much for art before I met you.” Kyungsoo murmured, looking down at their interlocked hands, “When you first drew on my box, I was upset. It didn’t feel like my box anymore. But ...after that, I realized that it didn’t feel the same because it felt better than before. It felt more like a home. They may be simple drawings to anyone else but to me, my box was given a bit of life.” Kyungsoo sighed, “What I’m trying to say is your art, it can do things. Whether it's being able to turn a box into a house or to form a connection between two people like us, I think it can do some incredible things.”

There was a tense silence in the air. The mumbles of the people around them faded as Kyungsoo got lost in Kai’s eyes.  Kyungsoo manages to find himself again and glances away, “Sorry, that was cheesy. I just wanted to make you feel bet—“

Kai kissed Kyungsoo right there, in the middle of the exhibit, with people all around.  The kiss wasn’t the typical soft and warm one that the two usually exchanged. It was deep, urgent, and it nearly had Kyungsoo choking on his surprise. He smacked his free hand against Kai’s chest and pushed him away. Kai had his teeth latched onto Kyungsoo's bottom lip and it pulled lightly as he leaned back. The bottom lip popped back when it was released.

Before Kyungsoo could speak, Kai’s dragged Kyungsoo outside the exhibit. Kyungsoo wasn’t sure what to think until his back was pushed against the wall of a dimly lit alleyway. Kai’s hands pressed themselves against Kyungsoo’s shoulders and he swooped down. Their lips connected again, with the same depth and urgency as moments before. Kai demanded entrance within the first few seconds and Kyungsoo obliged. His mind was misting over in a familiar fashion. However, something was a little different. He was taken to a different place than all the times before. This place was hot and it made his skin crawl. Kissing Kai usually brought a sort of calmness to Kyungsoo. This certain kiss had Kyungsoo’s body and mind reeling like never before. He couldn’t handle it. His breaths were running short and his heart beating too fast.

“J-Jongin!” he gasped when he was finally able to separate their lips. Kai, however, didn’t plan on stopping. He pecked across Kyungsoo’s jaw before tracing his way down Kyungsoo’s neck. Kyungsoo gasped and gripped onto Kai’s shirt as Kai on an area Kyungsoo didn't realize was so sensitive. Kyungsoo could feel the smirk forming on his neck before Kai began harder. Kyungsoo nearly squeaked at the slight pain. Although they weren’t kissing anymore and Kyungsoo was technically free to breathe in as much air as he needed, he still found it very difficult to do so. He tried to think of ways to calm his heart. The first thing that popped in his mind was the countryside painting... and the conversation that came along with it.

“Jongin.” Kyungsoo gripped Kai’s shoulders and lightly pushed him back. Cool air rushed in between their bodies and Kyungsoo’s neck was throbbing. Kai’s plump lips looked red and abused and his eyes hazy. Kai tried to take Kyungsoo’s lips again but Kyungsoo turned his head away.

“What is it?” Kai whispers, “Is this too much?”

Kyungsoo wondered if his flushed face could grow any hotter. “N-no. Not really.” Kai smiled and quickly latched their lips together. Kyungsoo pushed him back once more. “Show your dad your art!” Kyungsoo blurted out, maybe a little more loudly and quickly than he would have wanted.

Kai’s all-telling eyes gradually became blocked off again. His grip on Kyungsoo weakened and the leg that had moved its way between Kyungsoo’s thighs was removed. Kai wasn’t touching Kyungsoo anymore and he felt cold despite being equipped with suitable clothing.  

Kai sighed deeply, “What time is it?” Kyungsoo stares at him for a few moments before checking his watch and telling him. Kai nodded and reached forward to grab Kyungsoo’s hand. “I’ll take you home.”

Kyungsoo didn’t fight as Kai led him out of the alleyway and down the sidewalk. The walk was quiet with no words ever being exchanged. The only thing Kyungsoo could really focus on was how tight Kai was gripping his hand and the stale air that surrounded both of them.

They arrived at Kyungsoo’s front gate in a matter of time. Kai went to let go of Kyungsoo’s hand but Kyungsoo held on.

“You told me to try.” Kyungsoo found himself saying, staring straight into Kai’s eyes. “Now I’m telling you to try. Try for your happiness. If anything, try for your art.”

A sad smile bent itself on Kai’s lips. He leaned close to Kyungsoo and kissed his forehead. “Good night.” He says before he walks off.

Usually Kai’s smile created a warmth that could rival the sun’s. On this night, Kyungsoo only felt the cold.


(Chapter revised 9/16)
Hey guys! Another short chapter but hey! That’s just the way it ended up. Trust me when I say I wish I could write them longer. However, the flow works itself out and sometimes the chapters are longer and sometimes their shorter. It’s just when a good ending spot shows up, I go with it.
Anyways, story discussing: We learn a little more about Kai. Bout time, isn’t it? By the way, I have a small but vague spoiler for you: Something big is going to happen! (And no, it’s not the ). Speaking of , hopefully this chapter’s main kiss wasn’t too intense for anyone. Anyways. Moving on.
I nearly died yesterday. So much awesome stuff happened. Happy Camp OT12 and the L’Official Homme photos. Gah, do yourselves a favour and check them out.

That done, onto comment replies! Oh my god, you guys write paragraphs everytime! YOU ARE AWESOME! I am unworthy *bows down*
Thank you to my-flaming-charisma(thank you!), Tika_Pyro(lol stripping!), myloveisinfinitex3(*high fives*), be_radical(thanks for understanding ;A;), pearl092091(jfkjdhs love you!), doublemagnaes(thank you :’) Sorry for short reply), Slowly(it’s terrible D:!), lovefaith (can’t wait for that video!), eexiee(teehee thank you!), summerdrag(lol Kai can’t resist D.O!), DBSKforever5(No spoilers for you!), SHINeeLuv1 (you funny!), Chanmyeon(Hey! It’s my twitter bud! Thanks! *waves*), 2pandavoice (*gives tissues* sorry), ilovekoreanboysmost(Don’t even worry about it! Thanks!), woobabylove0904 (Gah *runs away* Machine gun down pls!), ExoticVIP (Wow! Four times! Thanks! OO!), cocoalakin (Thank you! I hope your feels come back ^^), lori_senpai (thank you!!), ayade_e (No spoilers for you! And wahh, long comment, thank you!) and  toshiba19 (Teehee, I ain't agreeing or disagreeing with what you said :) Thanks for comment!). 

@chippawabrike – Yayy, another comment from your comrade! Lmfao, maybe they will, maybe they won’t. I ain’t giving out anything! Muwaha. And that’s almost too much German for me to understand. I applaud your language skills!
@missEe502 – Nope, no . Ahaha, it’s coming though. I did give a little spice to this chapter though. Angst might be coming, who knows (I know). I don’t want to give out teasers! It’s so fun to see what people predict! Anyways, luvvvs you Zhee <3
@darkrose123 – Funny, your comments bring a smile to my face :) Woow, to say that this should be made into a motion/book/manga and to say that about my characters ;A; That’s so nice! Omg, thank you. I’m just really happy you seem to be liking this that much. I hope you like this update <3
@shieshiesae – You caught me. I cyberized Chanyeol’s crack and sprinkled it into chapter. Looks like you fell into my trap mwahahaha. Some terrible side effects you’re having though. I hope this update brought some amount of happiness to you, not that much angst :) Ahahaha, lemme huggle you back sae~~!
@PrincessLulu – Naww, glad you like the replies. I also want to say thanks for commenting on my other stories! You’re so nice! <3
@Myakyuji07 – Myaaaaa! Lol, I’m sure Kyungsoo doesn’t hold any hard feelings for you :)  Is Kyungsoo legit moving? Would you believe me if I said yes? What about if I said no? What if I said I don’t know? Okay, enough with trolling you lol. I’m not tellllling you anything teeehee <3 And, odhfidsoh, I was so in love with your first sketch, I can’t wait for the next one. My heart can barely contain itself! MUCH LOVE, kisses, hugs, hair ruffling and other affectionate actions.
@Lullycream – lol, sorry for the disappointment. I want to give you more reason behind it, but I don’t want to ruin anything. :$ As for placing, all I can tell you is it’s coming. That’s all! What happens before it and after is a secret (until the chapters are out at least). Lol, how could I resist replying to your comments. They’re so well thought out and it’s a treasure I don’t want to live without *hugs laptop* Gah, I’m so cheesy sometimes. But goodness, your second comment. Are you trying to get me to cry? I’m about to cry. Tears are coming. You’re welcome, but please allow me to say thank you to you too. You’ve been a continuous support and you’ve really helped motivate me to continue writing! Thank you!! This relationship has been and is still being so great! Thanks for sticking around and being such an amazing person! Mwahhh ma amie! <3 ps: Tomorrow will be our anniversary. I’ll imagine opening a cyberized champagne bottle with you and toasting to it!
@Drawingfishies – HI! I’m actually chatting on twitter with you as I write this! Ahaha. Elite page? LOL. I’ll take that compliment <3 Thank you. Short comment, long comment, no comment, I heart you all the same. No pressure, okay? Much love <3 Oh, and *catches your gift* I will use them well!
@Gaenari – My feels=everywhere. THANK YOU, ahhh to say this is your favourite is a HUGE compliment! I’ll let you love me if you let me love you back!!
@PurpleSwils – I felt bad last update. I wanted to reply your comment and and, gah. T.T So, I’m replying this time around. It’s such a privilege to have a reader/subscribers/commenter like you! Thanks for your continuous compliments to the story and support! *HUGS*
@JuliaYes – Have you seen the comments? PEOPLE LIKE IT! And with a damn good reason too. Your fanarts are wonderful! Thank you so much! Your compliments get me all flustered. Keep staying awesome! >
@Frayjadour – oihfdoifhsoifhjidso!!!!! DID YOU ACTUALLY!? Omg, that’s amazing! I wish I could have seen it! Omg, I’m so happy and giddy and and other inexplicable feels. Thank you! I’m happy reading this fic does that for you! Much love <3 I hope your days don’t become so crappy anymore!
@emo_bear – The power of tumblr! I should thank JuliaYes more! And trust me when I say I feel the love. I can barely contain myself. I love them back ten folds!
@IshidaMichaelis – I suppose you are right, sigh. XP Lol, saving the tears for later. Or am I? Don’t want to ruin anything ^^’ Your comments are always nice, I mean, you give me EXO MEMBERS! Best gift ever! Who’s your bias? I’ll throw him back! *prepares catapult*
@MrsKkamJong – Somehow D.O became a potential psycho with a machine gun in your mind (and you’ve influenced other readers too XP). Hmm, another prompt maybe XP Bahaha, glad to see you think Kai is lovely…cause he is. He’s adorkable….you know putting all that iness aside. Ahaha, I’m sorry. I was just joking around with Kris’ line. XP I couldn’t resist! And you made me giggle once more! I love your long comments *huggles*
@krazi_Muzique - :D:D:D:D Your comment=love. Me to you=love. I love you chapter breakdowns :) Thanks for getting D.O and his parents. Omg, you’re so amazing. Like motha fluffa amazing. TEEHEE! Lmfao, I’m glad you noticed that in the author’s note. Was certainly hoping you would! Kissez hugz and other lovely things coming your way!
@paradoxicy – lol! IKR! D.O’s parents are crazy! Ahaha! Baekyeol sweet shop, omg that would be perfect! And it seems you’ve read Candy Hearts…me gusta >>:D And that sounds like the best scavenger hunt game ever. The prizes are so amazing. XP  
@deadrev - Hello new subscriber :D Yay, glad you like it! YESH. Thanks for liking the concept, I know it's a little weird and out of the box (hohoho, okay, enough laughing at my own lame jokes). I really like how you understand that side of Kyungsoo. A lot of people are saying "try harder!" (more so to cheer him on than anything else), but I think you really hit the nail on the head for understanding Kyungsoo! Thank you ! And you understand Kai! Gosh, I'm happy you seem so intune with the characters I made. :D! As for the sketchbook, pinwheel and stuff...well only the future chapters will tell! NOT ME! muahahah. Thank you for such a refreshing comment. Your point of view on the story really make me pleased and happy :) 

Replies done! Whooot. Now, I don't want to hold you guys up anymore than I have! Here's a Kaisoo gif (which I'm sure a lot of you have already seen.) But meh! STILL ENJOY IT!

Buhbye noww <3