Air Conditioning

Paper Mâché

8.

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t leave his room the entire weekend. He tells his parents he’s sick and they in return leave his meals outside his door. He likes to think he isn’t exactly lying to them. The pools of regret that swim around Kyungsoo’s stomach makes him nauseous. His body feels tired and his brain is aching from thinking too much.

The images of Kai’s blank expression and departing back were permanently stitched to the insides of his eyelids. Every time he blinked, the pictures would haunt him over and over again. Kyungsoo then tried very hard not to blink entirely.

The weekend ended and Kyungsoo went to school. The day felt different,  like it was cooler and dimmer than usual. He didn’t see one speck of Kai during homeroom.  When class started, he found himself having a very hard time focusing on anything besides the classroom's clock for the first two periods. When the lunch bell rang, he grabbed his usual arsenal of items and bolted to the roof. Kai wasn’t in sight. So, he waited. He sat outside his box and waited for Kai. He nibbled on different portions of his lunch while his eyes remained glued to the ladder.

A head of hair eventually emerged and Kyungsoo nearly dropped his apple. His body went numb as he watched Kai climb up the ladder and get up onto the roof. Kyungsoo was so relieved he actually came, perhaps Kai wasn't so mad at him after all. However, when Kai casually walked over to his own box and gave Kyungsoo the blank stare he hated so much before entering it, Kyungsoo knew he was painfully wrong. 

Kai’s mad at him. And Kyungsoo’s mad at himself. He understood why Kai was mad but he didn’t understand why he himself was mad. In retrospect, what Kai was asking of Kyungsoo was hard. He thought Kai understood his situation. He thought they’d somehow reached an understanding. Then again, why was he getting all upset about Kai? Wasn’t it better to get all this drama done and over with? Yes, he liked Kai but the leaving factor was never forgotten. Wouldn’t it be better to just get over the heartbreak sooner than later?

It sounded nice. But put in action, it . He didn’t want to leave like this. He didn’t want to leave the only friend (or whatever Kai was to him) he had made in years with a small misunderstanding that would forever be unresolved between them. He wanted to be able to say goodbye and leave on a decent note. He felt he owed Kai that much.

“Try, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo wrapped his arms around his legs and pulled them close, staring off into the distance. Could it actually work? Kyungsoo really didn’t think so. Kai didn’t know his parents like he did. Like Kyungsoo and his boxes, his parents usually got off on some sort of high when it came to moving around. His mother was usually the driving force behind it, but his father never hesitated against his mother’s wishes. And Kyungsoo never did either. He would see his mother’s excitement and shut his mouth. He really didn’t think he could try and talk to them.

“Try, Kyungsoo.”

Like a melodic and raspy mantra, those words repeated in Kyungsoo’s head. The lunch bell's ringing woke Kyungsoo out of his stupor just long enough to see Kai getting out from underneath his box and leaving the rooftop without once looking at Kyungsoo. It hurt. It hurt a lot. He didn’t want this. He didn’t want to leave without speaking with Kai one last time, he didn’t want to leave without smiling with Kai one last time, he didn’t want to leave without feeling, touching, and kissing Kai one last time.

He had to try. He had to at least try for Jongin.

So, when the daily family dinner came around a few hours later, Kyungsoo tried.  His mother brought up how the apples were browning and Kyungsoo retaliated that the other grocery store near their house had better apples and cheaper prices.  His father bitterly wondered if the neighbours ever saw the light of day and Kyungsoo told him it wasn’t like he ever saw it much either. They both complained about the squeaky floorboards in the entry way and Kyungsoo shot back that they barely even heard the squeaking aside from when someone left or entered the house.

Every complaint was met with a rebuttal from Kyungsoo. However, it didn’t seem to leave any positive effects. Actually, it seemed to have the opposite. Every time Kyungsoo would argue a point, his parents would subconsciously take what Kyungsoo said as a challenge and battle back with new complaints. They had even gone so far as to say the weather was too nice. And who the heck complains about that?

After cleaning his dishes and finishing his homework, Kyungsoo went to bed with a heavy heart and head. He tried. He really did. He just failed. He failed himself and he failed Kai.

He went to school the next day feeling worse than the day before. The words spoken by the teacher sounded like gibberish to him. His clouded mind was not cooperating with anything that didn’t relate to his Kai and moving problem. So, he decided to skip second period. It wasn't like his current mental state was going to absorb any school information. School was just too irrelevant right then.  

He grabbed his lunch and headed to the roof of the old storage building on the period break. He was in desperate need of something. Something familiar and neverchanging. The new feelings Kyungsoo were dealing with were different, much too different for Kyungsoo to handle at that moment. He just needed that something he could always rely on.

Like a balloon, small amounts of the pressure released from inside Kyungsoo as cardboard walls surrounded him. He quickly pushed the sunroof open and basked in the sunrays. His mind was clear for the first time in 3 days and his anxiety finally subdued. Kyungsoo busied himself by focusing on slowly counting the lines of the box’s interior. He drew images on the walls using his pointer finger and took small bites of his sandwich. The lunch bell rang and an ounce of uneasiness ran through him

He glanced over to where his peephole was located and stared for a bit before he fumbled to close his sunroof and peeked through the small hole. He waited, his eyes locked outside, until he saw Kai arrive. Kai effortlessly straightened and stood himself up as soon as he got up on the roof. He froze, however, when his gaze landed on Kyungsoo’s box. The original blank stare he had sported before vanished instantly. He looked to the left, the right, and then behind him before setting his sight back on Kyungsoo’s box. Biting his lip, Kai slowly made his way over to it.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened and he backed away from the peephole, clasping a hand over his mouth so he could make himself as quiet as possible. Kai knocked on the box after a few seconds of purely examining it. Kyungsoo’s bug eyes dropped to his side window. Would Kai try to open it? Should Kyungsoo even open it? Did Kai want something?

Kyungsoo’s thoughts paused when he heard Kai letting out a loud sigh and then the sound of his feet shuffling away. Kyungsoo quickly but quietly inched closer to his peephole and saw that Kai was leaning against his box just as Kyungsoo had done the day before. Kai pulled out the white sketchbook Kyungsoo had picked out for him and began sketching.

Kyungsoo stayed in the same position inside his box for the entire lunch period. When the bell rang and signaled the end of lunch, Kyungsoo's heart skipped painfully. He saw Kai starting to get up and Kyungsoo knew he had enough of his stupid cowardice.

“W-wait!” Kyungsoo yelled from inside his box. Kai stopped immediately and looked to the box, surprised. Kyungsoo slowly lifted his box and moved it next to him. He stood up and let his fist clench and unclench by his sides.

Kai stood there, dead eyes trained on Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo couldn’t bring himself to look at them. “You’ve were under there this entire time?” Kai dryly stated with an angered tone near the end. Kyungsoo’s mouth bobbed up and down, eyes glued to the roof. He wasn’t sure how to respond or how to start beginning to say what he wanted to say. “You know,” Kai faced him completely, “I thought you were different.”

It felt like an arrow pierced through his heart. The disappointment rang clear in Kai’s words. Kyungsoo took in a deep breath and tried to calm himself. Anxiety was building.

“I thought you were a person who wasn’t afraid to think and do things for themselves.”

When Kai turned around, Kyungsoo felt his body leap into action. He took a few long strides and latched onto the bottom of Kai’s shirt, successfully stopping him. His hands quivered but kept a strong grip on the fabric. He didn’t want this. Not from Jongin.

“You’re wrong,” Kyungsoo croaked out, his core tightening, “You, you have to let me explain. You can’t leave me.”

“How do you expect me to stay when you’re not willing to try?” Kai whispered and tried to remove Kyungsoo’s hand.

“I did!” Kyungsoo yelled, now using both hands to clutch onto Kai’s shirt. “B-But it didn’t work. And you said that we should make the most of our time together. But, you’re just… You’re walking away and that’s not what we agreed on!” Kyungsoo lightly shook Kai, still not able to make eye contact with him.

Warm hands enveloped his, forcing Kyungsoo to stop moving his hands. Kyungsoo slowly looked up and relief washed over them when he saw the Jongin he knew. Not the Kai who walked around the school with no sign of life to him; no, it was the real Jongin who was looking down at him, the one with feelings. “What happened?” he whispered to Kyungsoo.

“I tried talking to them.” Kyungsoo’s straightened his back and his hands loosened their grips. “My parents. They didn’t listen to me. I kept trying to make them see that I didn’t want to leave and that there was more to this place but they didn’t get—”

Warmth blanketed around Kyungsoo as Kai embraced him. Kai’s face found its way to Kyungsoo’s neck, the hot air from his mouth sending shivers through Kyungsoo’s spine. Kyungsoo let his hands roam across Kai’s sides before he hugged him back. The feeling of Kai’s arms around him was wonderful, soothing, calming, warming, and just plain nice.

Kai pecked Kyungsoo’s neck before pulling back. He then tenderly kissed both of Kyungsoo’s cheeks and his forehead. “Thank you,” he said, “for trying.” Kyungsoo slowly nodded, overwhelmed by how relieved he was to have Kai back. To have Kai talking, touching, and smiling at him one more time.

“I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo whispered. “I’m sorry it didn’t work.”

“So am I,” Kai sighed, running his hand through Kyungsoo’s hair. “But, you're right, I did say we would make the most of our time together.”

Kyungsoo nodded along when a thought struck him. He cursed, “We are so late for third!” Kyungsoo hissed and was about to go to the ladder if Kai hadn’t held him back.

“Hey, didn’t I just say that we were going to make the most of our time together?” Kai smirked and brought Kyungsoo closer to him.

“But, I already skipped second,” Kyungsoo protested while frowning.

Kai tilted his head. “Why did you skip second?”

Kyungsoo’s head went blank for a moment and then he quickly tried to formulate a lie. “Um, I was…tired. So, I napped. You know, in the box.”

One look to Kai’s face and Kyungsoo knew very well that his lie was not taken seriously, “Well, might as well continue on your roll then.” Kai smirked and leaned his face closer to Kyungsoo’s

“But—"

A kiss to the lips was enough to both silence Kyungsoo and change his mind about ever leaving Kai.


You know what's terrible? When you hit the wrong two keys on your keyboard and your page goes back....in the middle of writing your comment replies. Sigh. MOVING ON.
Oh MY GOOODNESS, guys. How can I- This isn't real. From the last update to now, there has been so much support and love. I want to thank you all. All being subscribers, commenter, readers who are have an AFF and those who don't, you're all so kind. Thank you >< I mean, I somehow got onto the first page of the Kaisoo tag. That's more than I could ever ask for-OKAY, I'm getting too sappy here. I'll move on :')
Story time: Kyungsoo tried a little for Kai. (Maybe not as hard as some of you may have liked, but calm your , just wait a few more chapters), I hope people liked this update and understand Kyungsoo a little better. <3
Okay, comment replies:
Thank you to vanndee13, sunshining, dororo, aimee2304, woobabylove0904, Tika_Pyro, SmilingAngel16, Xandra, Frayjadour, angex99, stepiee, JuliaYes, Slowly, shellfish, myloveisinfinitex3, dramakween000, PurpleSwils, emo_bear, wookiekyuie, SkeeOnMars, ChanYeong and be_radical. I read all of your comments and each one brought a smile to my face, like legit. I kid you not. I'd check them on my phone and people kept asking me what I was so happy about. THANK YOU!!! I didn't want to bore you guys with my small and repetitive replies. I don't think words can describe how thankful I am. 

@chippawabrike - Gahh, glad you liked Kai's part. I was worried I was way too corny or something D: Well, Kyungsoo talked to his parents a little, sure maybe he failed but maybe-*zip lips* Nope! Not going to give any spoilers! *Saluting* Hope you like this update as well Comrade :)
@Kyumin198Eunhae - Welcome new reader! I'm glad you like the story so far and I hope you continue to like it ~~
@supergirl94lily - GAHH, chainsaw DOWN! I need his parents for later! *runs away*. Lol, Kaisoo OTP is in desperate need of fluffiness and I am willing to serve. A little cheesy what I wrote, but W/E XP LOL, my mothering worked? I feel like I accomplised something. Okay, hope my chapter won't let you down! So, I will welcome you whenever you comment... and maybe your chainsaw if you keep it under control ;)
@SHINeeLuv1 - Why.must.you.keep.dying? Not my intention :( Please revive or something, cause I love your comments <3 Anyways, lol, I love how you picked that out in the entire chapter. I dunno, for me, a friend told me they immediately brushe their teeth and makes sure their boyfriend does too before they cuddle and whatnot in the morning. Ever since then, the fact morning breath exist just stuck. Anyways, I hope you like this update now that Kaisoo made up ;)
@citylightsskylines -  GAHHH, Kyungsoo's box ;A;! Spare the box, it had nothing to do with it! *whimpers* lol, whoa, virtual dolphins? Penguins? A PRETTY BOX? That's just too much to accept, I can't...where's my tissue box already? LOL, thank you so much, your somewhat gibberish comment warms my heart. YOU STAY COOL. And may virtual animals flock to you foreva. ;)
@doublemagnaes - LOL, twist bitter ending just thrown at you. Thanks for understanding though ;) I hope the chapter meets your expectation! Keep staying awesome for me!
@Myakyuji07 - Omo, hellllllo there! Ahaha, I'm not sure about S&D but I think they read your comment nonetheless. Praying for your safety ^^' Ahaha, I'm making Kai a bit of a lovesick sap ain't I? Oh well, people seem to like him anyways /leshrugs. So, I'm glad you liked the last update and and and and I hope you like this one too! mwah mwah kisses to you ~~<3 
@MrsKkamJong - Your comments always make me giggle, you know that? LMFAO! If only Kais were for sale! The world would be a brighter place for sure! Omg, dying. I'm sorry there was no pillow fight. Maybe next time *cue the Kris smile >:D*. OMG, do it, write them prompts. I'd totally check them out! Save them fairies!
@Drawingfishies -  Lol, I feel you. I was in the middle of writing comments when I hit some wrong keys and...gone. Yup, Kyungsoo went without a fight. But you're right, who can resist Kai? XP Anyways, thank you :') Your comments are so lovely! And and and you're so nice.  I like chatting w/you on twitter too. :) Sending loves and cuddles your way ~~<3
@shieshiesae - lol, I think if Kyungsoo knew that earlier he would have jumped into action sooner! Anyways, I'm glad the last update was your happy pill :') I hope this one makes you feel happy too since Kaisoo made up XP Muchhh love!! xoxo Hwaiting! I hope you're less stressed now!
@Lullycream - Gahh, what a wonderful relationship this is (: Yeahh, this story isn't going to be hugely long, I got a few more things up my sleeve and then yeah. Omo, your interpretion makes me giddy :) It's so wonderful. I'm glad you feel the way you do! I feel accomplished as an author >< Anyways, thanks so much! You're so wonderful! Ma amie, je t'aime<3
@lovefaith - LOL, glad you like cheesy Kai ;) And omg, I lolled at "that look", It's so true. Any one, parents included, would fall for it easily! Kyungsoo, use what you got!  ...And could you video tape that dance? I WOULLD REALLY LIKE TO SEE IT. And then I would join in with dragon wings attached to my back and a blacktop hat, and those weird ninja sandal shoes that Kai wears. :)
@monshie09_aff - Don't apologize silly! You don't need to comment on every one, do whatchu like!!  Lol, I'm glad you liked the last chapter and the way things progressed. Wahh, I love how you can see things from Kyungsoo's parents perspective! They've been getting a lot of hate when in my head they aren't, like, completely terrible people persay. So, to conclude, hope this update was to your liking ;) Keep staying cool, though I know that won't be hard for you XP 
@IshidaMichaelis - lol, but but, I gave you that cheesy morning scene in the bed and stuff? Oh well, Kaisoo made up in this chapter XP  Omg, you are too much! How can you compliment me like that? i feel so undeserving! All I can say is thankyou ;A;. HERE ARE TISSUES! Don't use them all up, cause I need to wipe away some tears you caused with your too nice comment. 
@messedupmissy - HI! Welcome! I hope school gets better for you. I'm glad you like this fic so far and I hope I can help fulfill your Kaisoo dose quota ;)
@pearl092091 - Naww, thanks for getting Kyungsoo a little. And LOL, if only his parents would do that! I'm sure homo- novels based off Kaisoo would sell like hotcakes!!
@ayade_e -  Lol, I think Kaisoo stans are raising. Sure they're no Baekyeol or Taoris, BUT THEIR CONNECTION IS UNDENIABLE! We shippers must unite and then they'll be more fanservice ...gahhh, I can't wait for what the future holds.  Thanks for understanding Kyungsoo's side a little! A lot of people are raging at Kyungsoo, which I'm okay with, I mean the boy should at least try (and he did XP). OMG, you read Wild Rock! High five! *raises hand* Yesyesyes, I love her works she's such an amazing mangaka ;') Okayy, much love and stuff coming your way. You ready? Here it comes...BOOM ~~~~<33333!!!
@missEe502 - Anneyong!! Thanks for commenting :) I see you're liking Kai ;) Not that I blame you, he's one y motha fluffer. Ahaha, I hope I can meet 90% of the readers expectations then when it comes out /leblushes. LOVE YOU LONG TIME <33
@krazi_Muzique - Lol, I'm sneaky like that. Make you think they're going to sleep apart and then BAM. Muahaha. Enjoy the feels. And thank you for liking the signs and such. I thought it would be a little weird to just aburtly do the whole "Hey son, we're moving lol". It just wouldn't work for what I have planned. Lol, I can't help but reply to yours. So long and full of wonderfulness. But thanks for understanding!!
@daiikon - Ohh, new reader! I wanted to say welcome and thanks for reading :) I'm happy you seem to like it so far :) 
@blake_maclaren - Newww reader=my feels increased. I really need to find a way to thank people on tumblr. People are too nice :') Thanks for reading and I hope you like the update :P
@PrincessLuLu - OO' Omg, how. WOW, that's a HUGE compliment! THANK YOU. I'm, my feels, I'm so thankful. I'm glad you like it :')
@eexiee - Lol, it's true. The box concept is kind of weird. I like to think I worked it out somehow. I dunno, anyways, I'm glad you seem to like it so far :)

*panting* Okay, those are done. Now, usually before I go, I add a little Kaisoo gif. Well, I have a treat for you guys today! Actually, it might be a treat for myself because my feels overflow when I saw these. 
A special reader, JuliaYes, has made fanart for Paper Mâché and I can't help but show them off. They're so wonderful and I'm so grateful and unworthy! She's so talented! I highly recommend you guys check out her tumblr and deviantart. Without further ado, here are the two wonderful pieces!

They are just so beautiful! Click on the images to be directed to her tumblr posts, okay? GOO GOO GOOOOOO!!
Also, HUGE thanks to my beta siahna! Her eyes are like snippers, picking up on anything and everything. She gives such wonderful suggestions too!  Love her long timeee <3 Okay, I'm out!