Ventilation

Paper Mâché

5.

 

Kyungsoo was sitting down on an infirmary bed, cursing his luck. Ache resonated throughout his cheekbone when Kyungsoo lightly brushed his fingers across the swollen area. How could he let him get by like that? God, I must have gotten rusty, Kyungsoo thought. Kyungsoo sighed discontently and let his body fall back onto the bed.

Kyungsoo has two rules:

Rule #1: Be nice. No matter what.
Rule #2: Never socialize with classmates outside of school. Ever.

Kyungsoo hadn’t broken the second rule since he established it years ago (putting recent events aside). However, Kyungsoo did experiment and bend the first rule in the recent past. A year or so back, faking nice was taking a toll on Kyungsoo. He was growing real tired of it actually. Being an incredibly curious person, Kyungsoo imagined what his life would be like if he decided to set the first rule aside. His fatigued mentality at the time was pleased enough with his made-up scenarios and so, Kyungsoo decided to give it a shot. 

The school he experimented with was legendary for housing delinquents. You could probably guess that the new, short and bug-eyed kid would become something like a walking target in an instant. When Kyungsoo thinks back, he figured that he would have taken whatever came his way with a broken and pained smile. However, in reality, he did indeed exchange his fake grin for sharp glares. With rule #1 out of the way, Kyungsoo let himself fight back. Well, 'fight back' may not be the accurate teminology when he started out; it was quite difficult and painful, but Kyungsoo was a quick learner. How to throw a proper punch and how to get out of a choke hold were a few of the many lessons he taught himself. 

Time passed and he was content with the results of his experiment. After all, regular people left him alone more than ever. Some even avoided trying to be in the same room as him. However, Kyungsoo was apparently too good at defending himself and his meat-head classmates considered his skills a challenge to be conquered. Much to his dismay, word got around about “Spitfire D.O.” (no, the nickname was not of his making) and other gangsters from different schools came to pay him not-so-kind visits.

It went downhill from there. Sure, faking a pleasant attitude was exhausting on his mind, but getting forced into so many trivial fights was mentally and physically exhausting. All Kyungsoo wanted was for people to leave him alone. Instead, he had to always be on high alert because more and more people would provoke and/or attack him. When it was finally time for Kyungsoo move away, he concluded it was better to fake some smiles than to nurse some bruises. 

Kyungsoo should have learned not to mess with his rules after that. But here he was, experimenting with his second rule and the results he got weren’t to his liking. At all.

 “I-is something wrong?” Kyungsoo asked, as the girl in front of him turned and stared him down between first and second period. He smiled hesitantly, fiddling with the pinwheel in his desk.

The girl ran her curious gaze across his features, “You know Kai?”

“Uh, kind of," Kyungsoo silently thought about how it was impossible to not know Kai while attending that school. 

“How?” she immediately shot back, “are you friends?”

Kyungsoo felt his temper flare at her obnoxiously prying tone and fought the urge to tell the girl to mind her own business. Grin in place, Kyungsoo, remember to keep that grin in place and play nice.

“Saying we’re friends is a bit much. We just see each other at lunch sometimes.”

“But what’s with the pinwheel he gave you?”

Well, damn it. She had to go test him like that. 

“Why does it matter to you?” Kyungsoo snapped, unable to hide his annoyance any longer. The girl reeled back with surprise but he didn’t care. The girl should know when to shut her trap.

“Hey Kyungsoo, didn’t see you yesterday,” a familiar arrogant voice came from beside him. Kyungsoo looked up from his desk and met with the dark eyes of the type-two leader.

“Sorry, I was really busy,” Kyungsoo mumbled out, directing his attention back to his notebook. A hand smacked down onto his desk with a loud bang. Surprised classmates turned towards the source of the noise and stared at the two of them.

The leader smiled down at Kyungsoo with a vicious look to his eyes, “that’s too bad, how about chilling with us at lunch to make up for it?” the leader spoke with an underlining hiss. Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes, obviously not pleased with the hostility.

“I’ve already got plans,” he replied, making sure his gaze was as sharp, if not sharper, than the boy's towering over him.

“Oh really?” the leader smirked, “would those plans happen to be with your new friend, Kai?”

Kyungsoo smirked right on back, “who knows?”

The leader did not appear fond of the mockery. Before the leader could mouth off his anger, the second period teacher entered the classroom. With one last exchange of glares, the leader marched back to his seat.

The lunch bell rang eventually and Kyungsoo had more than the usual amount of stares watching him as he exited the classroom. He took a longer route, fearing someone might try following him. Heck, he didn’t know what lengths people would go to in order to cure their curiosity.

After his detour, he climbed up onto the roof and found Kai painting on his box. Kai noticed him right away and smiled, “you’re later than usual.”

“Took a small detour,” Kyungsoo grumbled and crouched down next to his box. He analyzed the sides before taking a roll of tape out of his pocket. With the pinwheel in hand, he taped it to one of the corners. Once upright, the pinwheel caught wind easily and started to spin. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile at the sight.

“You like it that much?” Kai breathed across Kyungsoo’s ear. Kyungsoo flinched away at the alarming proximity and Kai apologized through his chuckles.

“G-got a problem with that?” Kyungsoo stuttered out, trying to hide his embarrassment while rubbing the ear Kai spoke into.

“No, of course not. It makes me glad I went back and got it,” Kai bent down next to him and tried to sneak a peek at Kyungsoo's face. Kyungsoo completely turned away as a result. Kai sighed and directed his attention back to Kyungsoo’s box, “It suits the box well,” he whispered before flicking the pinwheel’s stationary blades.

Kyungsoo looked up and watched as it spun around. “Yeah,” he whispered back, “I think so too.”  Kai and Kyungsoo sat there for a few moments before Kai reached out and ruffled Kyungsoo’s hair. Kyungsoo slapped his hand away lightly and glared up at the grinning Kai.

Kai silently stood up and walked over to his own box. He took a palette he had left on the ground and started painting again. Kyungsoo brought his knees up and tightly wrapped his arms around them. He rested his head down and simply observed Kai.

Kai was completely at ease. The original blankness that Kyungsoo had felt when he first saw Kai in the school’s hallway had completely vanished. With steady brush and a concentrated expression, Kai transformed from a closed-off mystery to a passionate artist. Kai had ambition while Kyungsoo had nothing but a box.

Not liking the conclusions he was drawing up, Kyungsoo got under his box in a matter of seconds. A familiar wave overcame and calmed him. It was just the box and him. The smell of the cardboard, the sun beaming on his scalp from the sunroof and the smoothness of walls grazing his knees. Kyungsoo was at peace. Kyungsoo was at home.

When the bell rang, Kyungsoo reluctantly left his box. Once he got out, he was greeted with the sight of the most handsomely painted flower he’d ever seen. It was simple but original at best. With its harsh edges and bizarre blue and green colouring, it held character. 

“Like it?”

Kyungsoo's eyes found Kai, who sprung up from the other side of the box. “It’s…nice,” Kyungsoo replied.

“Nice? I spent all lunch hour on it!” Kai put a hand over his heart in mock hurt, “I used the colours you specifically picked out too!”

Kyungsoo pulled his lips back, a little unsure of what to say, “It’s…really nice, Kai. You have talent.”

“Call me Jongin,” Kai softly told him after a few seconds, “My name is Jongin. Not Kai.”

The tone and the added flicker beneath Kai’s stare took Kyungsoo by surprise, “But, isn’t that wha—"

“It’s my artist penname. I made it up in an art class a while back and it stuck...but, I thought between friends, you could, you know.” Kai shifts his gaze away and aggressively scratches the back of his head, “sorry, forget it. You can call me whatever you want.”

Kai turned around and climbed down from the roof. Kyungsoo watched him as he went, feeling tinges of guilt course through him. His eyes found their way back to Kai’s flower and continued to admire it. Why couldn’t he come up with a better compliment? Before Kyungsoo could mull over the what-could-have-been-saids, he remembered he had class. And he was going to be very late if he didn’t run for it. So, he ran.

Kyungsoo and Kai met at the gates after school (actually, it was more like Kai was waiting for Kyungsoo by the gates). Without a word being said, they walked together. They reached Kyungsoo’s house before long but when Kai turned to leave, Kyungsoo called out to him.

“See you tomorrow Jongin.” And he bolted into his house, unfortunately missing the ridiculously goofy smile that planted itself across Kai's lips.

The next day, Kyungsoo woke up with a soreness sloshing around his gut. Something was wrong. He wasn’t sure what exactly, but something was off. He tried his best to ignore the ache as he got ready as he usually did and left for school.

He entered homeroom casually and sat down in his seat. He past some time by reviewing some homework he finished the night before. The bell soon rang, signaling the end of homeroom. A door at the front of the classroom opened quickly and the type-two leader dashed in.

“Man, where've you been?” A follower asked from the back as the two greeted each other with a bizarre handshake of sorts.

“Just had to renovate something,” the leader replied, and leaned back lazily in his seat. Kyungsoo's and his eyes connected then. The most ugly of smirks spread onto the leader's face, as if he was mocking Kyungsoo. Putting his confusion aside, Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and faced the class when the teacher started to lecture.

Lunch couldn’t have arrived faster. The leader was shooting Kyungsoo strange looks since the morning began and he had no idea why.

“Dude, is that paint on your sleeve?” A follower called out to the leader.

“Damn it!” the leader cursed out. Kyungsoo's curiosity got the best of him and he saw the leader vigorously rubbing at what appeared to be a black paint stain.  Kyungsoo figured karma was making its due and he shrugged his shoulders as he walked on.

Kyungsoo made his way down the usual beaten path. He paused in step when he realized the air around him was different. Kyungsoo smelt something unfamiliar, something like heavy paint. Maybe Kai had gotten there before him and was in the middle of yet another art project for his box.

Kyungsoo climbed up the ladder and froze as soon as he got a peek of the roof. He slowly eased his way up the ladder, eyes locked on the boxes. He stood up straight and just stared.

Complete and utter sabotage.

Black spray paint was sprayed across both of the boxes, mixtures of immature drawings and words marring both of the surfaces. The added attachments were ripped off and cut to pieces. Kyungsoo’s pinwheel had been torn off and snapped in half along with its blades cut, doomed to never catch wind again. Kai's flower was completely destroyed. 

“Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo whipped around and watched as Kai’s expression turned from confusion to shock. He stepped closer to the wreckage and turned back around to a Kyungsoo biting his bottom lip especially hard.

“Kyungsoo, are…you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Kyungsoo managed to choke out the mangled reply. His legs zoomed their way over to his box. He lifted it up and examined the inside. “The inside’s fine. That’s what matters. I’m fine,” Kyungsoo looked to Kai, who was not an ounce convinced, “really, I’m fine. It’s fine. The box is fine. I don’t usually bother with the outside anyways,” Kyungsoo mumbled quickly and firmly, almost as if he was convincing himself, “Are… you okay?”

Kyungsoo watched as Kai stood stiff with his fists clenching, “No. I’m not okay. I’m angry. Why would someone do this?”

“…I’m not sure,” Kyungsoo whispered out, unsure of how to deal with the new Kai. The angered boy's stiffened form stormed over to Kyungsoo and gripped Kyungsoo's upper arms tightly.

“I’m not sure how or why this happened, Kyungsoo, but I’ll fix it. Okay?”

Kyungsoo didn’t quite know what to say at that point. How did Kai think he was going to fix it? “It’s okay, Kai. There’s nothing to fix. I’ll be okay. I think you should worry more about yourself,” Kyungsoo lightly removed Kai’s hands from him and walked over to his box. He lifted it up and let the four walls surround him. It was okay, all Kyungsoo had to do was ignore the overbearing smell of paint and it’ll be okay. It was still the same.

School ended. Kyungsoo was feeling more like crap than ever before. When Kyungsoo came back from lunch, the looks from the type-two leader became worse and even more mocking.

Before Kyungsoo decided to leave for home, he stopped for a washroom break. He flushed the toilet and was about to exit the stall when he heard a familiar voice enter the washroom.

“Yeah, baby doll. I’ll see you soon.”
“You know I’m sorry about last night, baby. I had to teach someone a lesson.”
“Just putting a kid in his place. Get this, him and his gay friend play in these boxes during lunch, right?”
“I know, they draw or whatever on their stupid cardboard boxes. So, I just—”

Kyungsoo kicked the stall door open in his blind fury. With a blank look in his eyes, he marched over to the type-two leader and snatched his phone out of his hand.

“Hey, listen. Your boyfriend's going to have to call you back,” Kyungsoo then threw the phone to the ground and his heel harshly down onto the electronic.

“What the fu—”

Kyungsoo gripped onto the front of the leader’s school shirt and shoved him against the ceramic wall of the bathroom.

“You wanna run by me what you did to that kid?” Kyungsoo hissed.

“Dude, dude! Let me go! I’m sorry!” the leader pushed both his arms up in surrender. It was a pathetic sight.

Kyungsoo scoffed and let him go, “Don’t mess with me again.”

The leader slumped his shoulders down. He straightened out his clothing before he suddenly landed a punch square in Kyungsoo’s upper cheek.  

“Don’t mess with me!” the leader spat. Kyungsoo lightly touched his cheek, anger increasing exponentially. Kyungsoo was stupid to fall for such a trick.

Before the leader could blink, Kyungsoo had him against the wall again, “I gave you a chance. Now, let me show you how much you'll regret letting that go.”

The leader fought against Kyungsoo but it was useless. Kyungsoo had him in the perfect hold and due to his little stunt, Kyungsoo felt no need to go easy on him.

This was for the boxes, Kyungsoo thought as he kneed the pathetic excuse of a human in the gut.  

This was for Jongin.

So, after dozens of minutes flying by, Kyungsoo decided he'd taught the leader enough lessons for one day and brought him to the infirmary. The nurse looked as if she was about to leave when they entered the room. She rushed over to the leader who limply hung over Kyungsoo’s shoulder. Kyungsoo fed her a story about finding him in that state. She eyed him suspiciously when she noticed the bruise forming on Kyungsoo's cheek. She pointed to a free bed and told him to wait so she could attend to him after she dealt with the leader.

So, there he was. Staring at the ceiling tiles, all 14 of them, as he waited for his turn with the nurse to apply some bruise cream. Honestly, couldn't he just go home?

The sound of shoes slapping against tiled floor echoed louder from outside the room and the door of the infirmary slid opened not long after. There stood a breathless Kai. His eyes frantically scanned the room until they found Kyungsoo. He rushed over to the bed and visibly relaxed.

“The other guy looks worse, right?” Kai asked.

“Much worse,” Kyungsoo replied and nodded to the whining boy across the room. 

Kai reached out and lightly touched the bruise under Kyungsoo’s eye. Kyungsoo flinched and smacked the hand away.

Kai promptly laughed and ruffled Kyungsoo hair, “Good.” 

 


(Revised chapter 09/08)
Ahahahahahaha, I made Kyungsoo a bad . Who expected that? I know alot of you were all "Noooo, Kyungsoo's gonna get bullied." Bahhhh, nooo. Not the Kyungsoo in here. After being a new kid for a while, you think he would learn to defend himself. Anways. Moving on. 
Popular kids= Not EXO members or any other celebrity. Just random faceless OCS. They aren't that important, just some poop disturbers. Besides Kai and D.O, EXO members probably won't show up in this fic. Maybe a random cameo, but besides that, don't expect 'em. 
Also, some of you might have noticed, but there's another name under the author area: siahna!!! She's my wonderful beta. She's awesome. This is a first time thing for both of us, sooo yeah (not sure where I was going with that >>). Anyways, much thanks to her! BTW, I totally wrote this to Verbal Jint's song You Deserve Better. Go check it out, it's amazing. Do ittt. 

Now, I'm tired. So, let's do these comment replies! (Like a boss, you)

@MrsKkamJong - LOL, you make me want write a slumber party drabble or something. y pillow fight, anyone? Ahahah, dosey fool. And nope, no bullying for Kyungsoo...well kind of. Errr. He fights back :D?
@myloveisinfinitex3 - Glad you like their friendship so far :D LOL, I know right! I couldn't resist. And yes, Chanyeol's a giver like that XP
@aime2304 - Thank you <3 This chapter may not seem as sweet, but I hope you like it all the same 
@eletricblinger - Ahaha, you're kind of right. But Kyungsoo kicks some ? And we'll see what Kyungsoo and Kai have in store for them ;)
@chippawabrike - yesh, I'm glad someone does. I'm fond of windmills :D
@darkrose123 - Thank you, glad you liked it :) And Kyungsoo didn't exactly get bullied, ahaha. Hope that wasn't too much of a surprise for people. Ohhh, yay! Hello fellow canadian!
@Drawingfishies - Trouble happeneddd. Teehee. AHAHA, I know right. I had the perfect image of Kai strutting his stuff in a classroom. I couldn't help it. Ahhh, it's okay! I like replying :D It may take up some time, but I know I get happy when authors reply to me soooo yeah :)
@taesteful - Ahaha, they kind of do, but Kyungsoo shows em who's boss :)
@PurpleSwils - OCs! Sorry, I didn't want to bother giving them names, cause...yeah. They're not really important characters, just there to stir some trouble up. True enough! July is usually a nice month, isn't it!  Anyways, I'm glad you're liking the progression :)
@DBSKforever5 - Ohh, thank you. I'm glad you found it creative ^^ Lol, I was thinking of sending them off a cliff to their deaths actually (But not actually cause I'm pulling your leg here). Hope you like this chapter as well <33
@SHINeeLuv1 - Naww, glad it made you giggle. I know this chapter is a little more...serious? Sad? Anger inducing? Lol. Thanks for liking the story ^^'
@IshidaMichaelis - D: YOU DID? Omo, thank youuu. That means a lot. :D jfdhofhsdoi, thank youuu. Lol, I can't wait til I get to it. I'm exciteddd. <3
@shieshiesae - Ahaha, we'll see what Kaisoo has in store for them <3 I'm glad your liking the progression though :)
@sunshining - Naww, such a nice comment. Ahaha, I thought the windmill was a nice touch. Thank youu <3
@lovefaith - Kaisoo rules. Thats the end of the story. You just look at the way they interact and you just...melt. Like all gooey and stuff. Shipping like crazyyy. lol psssssstttt, time need not matter. Loves to you *throws hearts*
@Lynn_Star - Ahaha, sorry if this was a long wait! Hope you liked it.
@stubbornyouth - :D Yayy, thank you. Hope you spent it well, And thanks! Glad you like the story so far ^^
@doitlikethis123 - I'm glad someone noticed that part. I thought it was a of genius that many people won't notice, so I thank you (for me becoming even more egotistical sigh>>)
@supergirl94ily - OMG, comment spam! lemme lovee youuu <3 Chainsaw? No need, Kyungsoo can kick some ! Now...put that away *hesitantly backs away* Yayy, I'm glad you like this story :D Ahaha, I wanted to write something a little different for the same reasons. Like those storys can be amazing, but...you know :) Lol, I liked your essay it was great. Feel free to write me more, I welcome them with open arms *arms hugging laptop*. Thanksss again <3
@wookiekyuie - Yayy, hopefully you find this update interesting as well :)
@stepiee - Thank you, I'm happy you like it :) Annnd, nope, just some faceless OCS whose only purpose is to cause some trouble. 
@SHINEELUVA - LOL, thankkk you. Kaisoo feels are so lovely, I getchu. 
@tami-- - Sobs, thank you. Such a compliment. I hope you like this update *cries tears of joy*
@panjang45 - Sorry for the wait! Hope you like the new update, duhduhduh story takes a different turn!
@you_life_ruiner - Naww, thank you <3 I hope you like the newupdate :D
@woobabylove0904 - Lol, I liked that question mark. I made their 'friendship' weird, hence the quotations, oh well. Hope you liked the new update. 
@missEe502 - Lol, I decided I'll end a chapter with a different Kaisoo pic/gif. You know, leave you guys with a little eye candy before you leave <3 And we shall see what the future holds in store for them. And yes, maybe some angst in the future. But apparently, my mind doesn't compute angst very well, it makes it fluffy. WHY BRAIN? Anyways. Lol, okie dokie. I'll love the comments either way <3 Loves to you xoxox
@Lullycream - D: Oh goodness, thanks for going so far to comment. Lol, it could have waited. Gahh, you're almost done. I shall continue to wish you luck *throw fairy dust or something like that* Lol, I live off tiny details like that. I just I dunno, I feel like I'm terrible at describing things, soooo I add stuff like that to set the setting better? I guess? Ohh well. DON'T APOLOGIZE. I liked it all the same. <3 Loveeeee xoxoxo
@Exolove -  ...ouch. Should I apologize? Sounds like you went through something painful. I hope you survive you exo/kaisoo feels enough to make it to this update lol. But all that aside, your comment made me lol. *thumbs up* I approve. :)

Donnne, now. I shall leave you guys with this. Nigggghhhtt. Now.