Flower Beds

Paper Mâché

closed-box-crop.JPG



3.

 

It was sometime in middle school when Kyungsoo decided to stop trying. It was inevitable. His mother liked moving too much and there was no sign that she ever planned on stopping. So, Kyungsoo faced the music and just.stopped.trying. The effort he’d exert time and time again to find someone he could call a friend was so tiring. It was one regular day where he began to wonder, was all that work worth it? Was it really worth it to work so hard for friends that would just be gone in three months’ time (if he was lucky)?

No, Kyungsoo concluded, it wasn’t. No more could he stand for the hope he would give himself every time. The hope that one day, he would stay in one place and remain friends with his classmates until they graduated. Every time that hope resurfaced, the more realistic side of Kyungsoo would kick in and say that it was an aspiration that would never see the light.

So, in his best interest, Kyungsoo organized himself and made some rules.

Rule #1: Be nice. No matter what.

Kyungsoo was nice to everyone, always speaking in pleasant tones and was sure to laugh accordingly to jokes being told in class. That usually fended off any troublesome bullies or isolation issues that would in turn have the teachers on his back.

Rule #2: Never socialize with classmates outside of school. Ever.  

Throw the classmates an excuse revolving around controlling parents and it would usually slide. Some grew suspicious after a while, but it wasn't like Kyungsoo stuck around long enough for that to be a problem.

Kyungsoo’s relations with people became routine. He had a routine with teachers. He had a routine with classmates. Heck, he even had a routine with his parents. Unfortunately, when Kyungsoo tries to make a routine with Kai, he runs into some troubles. It wasn't like Kai threw himself into Kyungsoo’s business like you may have thought. Quite the opposite actually. They usually left each other to their own devices on the rooftop they shared. Kyungsoo sat in his box and Kai sketched in his book. That was all. And Kyungsoo thought that would be the routine.

Nope. Because one lunch Kai decides to ask if he could trade his apple slices for Kyungsoo’s kiwi. How Kai knew Kyungsoo had a kiwi in his lunch, he wasn’t sure, but he agreed to the trade. He liked apples better than kiwis anyways, so he didn’t see the harm.

But one incident turned into a few, which turned into half the time, and then more often than not. It had gotten to the point where Kyungsoo got tired of lifting his box in order to exchange their goods. His solution? Take a trusty X-Acto knife and cut a window. The window is very similar to his sun roof except for it being on the side of the box. It’s a lot like a drive thru window in Kyungsoo’s mind.

A new routine began. Kai knocks on the window. Kyungsoo pushes it down. They examine each other’s offerings and decide whether or not to trade. After that, no other word is spoken between them and that’s it. Kyungsoo closes the window and Kai doesn’t knock again. Kyungsoo sits in his box and Kai sketches in his book. Finally, Kyungsoo thought, this would be the routine.

Not so.

Kyungsoo climbed up the rustic storage room ladder one Monday lunch break and becomes surprised. Kai arrived on the roof before him. That had never happened before. So, obviously, Kyungsoo’s curiosity is pricked. 

Past Kai’s bent figure, a familiar object catches Kyungsoo's eye. Cardboard. Kai was doing something with cardboard. No, it wasn’t Kyungsoo’s box. It was lying a few feet away unharmed.  Kai was—god, Kyungsoo wasn’t sure what Kai was doing with the flattened cardboard box. Wrestling? Folding? Dancing if you tilt your head a certain way?

Every impulse in Kyungsoo tells him to ignore Kai and to go to his box, but one thing held him back. It may sound crazy to others but he swore the cardboard in Kai’s hands was calling out to him. Calling out for help.

“What are you doing?” Kyungsoo asks, clenching his fists by his sides from behind Kai’s crouched form.

Kai directed his attention from the cardboard to Kyungsoo and then back again, “I wanted to see what the big deal was.” Kai finally replied after a few tense seconds, “but, it’s a lot harder than it looks.”

Kyungsoo became confused, “But… what are you trying to do?” He notices Kai’s hesitancy to respond but Kyungsoo still got his answer when he saw how Kai glanced over to his box. “You’re, you must be kidding,” Kyungsoo mumbled under his breath. 

Kai finally turned to face Kyungsoo with a frown planted on his lips. “Don’t laugh,” Kai murmured back in an almost unimaginably pathetic manner.  

“I—” Kyungsoo starts before his lips sewed themselves shut and he exhaled through his nose. His eyes ran over the abused cardboard in front of Kai.

Kyungsoo, it cried, help me Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo sighed, “Move over,” he said gruffly and crouched down next to Kai while snatching the cardboard out of his hands, “I can’t believe you don’t know how to make a box,” he grumbled, “Tape?” Kai hurriedly handed him the tape.

Kyungsoo was ready to tape down two flaps together as he usually did when Kai stopped him, “No, I wanted the four corners to interlock with each other.”

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, “Why?” he slowly pronounced out, clearly thinking Kai was crazy for telling Kyungsoo or ‘Mr. Box Man’ what to do with a box.

“Can show me how to do it?” Kai asks, completely dismissing Kyungsoo’s previous statement.

“Why?” Kyungsoo tries again but a little louder and sterner.

“I’ll show you why if you just do it,” Kai replied. Kyungsoo didn’t want to follow Kai’s orders but, he does so anyways because he's really curious to know why Kai wants to interlock the flaps. Besides, he can’t cut a sunroof easily with the flaps interlocked. 

“Wait, slow down,” Kai latches onto Kyungsoo’s busy hands. This causes Kyungsoo to immediately freeze up. When Kai lets go, Kyungsoo continues on his task but with admittedly slower and slightly shakier hands. Kyungsoo finishes and rests his hands on top his knees, staring at Kai for further instruction.

Kai’s hand reached out again and pulled on the center of the folded flaps. Kyungsoo thought Kai was going to completely undo the folded flaps and have him fold it again. Instead, Kai just stops short of the interlock coming undone. It looked like the box was ready to burst. It looked ridiculous.

Kyungsoo finds himself asking again, “What are you trying to do?” and nervously gripped his knees harder.

A familiar smirk cracked through Kai’s lips, “Patience, Kyungsoo, patience.” Kai reached over Kyungsoo in a painfully slow manner and took the tape that laid beside him. With a scorching screech, the tape was pulled and torn off the roll by Kai’s teeth. Kai then began doing…something.

When Kai was done, Kyungsoo thought it looked ridiculous and hideous. It looked like a shiny cone roof with an awkward shaped hole in the middle.

“What…is that?” Kyungsoo asked dryly.

“I call it an open roof concept,” Kai leaned back and admired his work. 

“It’s ugly.”

“You’re just close minded. I’m not done with it yet.”

“You ruined it.”

“You’re close minded,” Kai smiled, still enraptured by his creation, “Just wait, you’ll be jealous.”

Kyungsoo bets all his cardboard at home that Kai’s prediction would never come true. 

And good thing Kyungsoo didn’t voice that bet out loud, because he would have lost.

After a collection of lunch periods, Kai added various accesories to his cardboard creation and it was starting to actually look nice. Kyungsoo never minded how his box looked on the outside before because, well, it was the only box around. Who would have cared beside himself?

So, when Kai's fancy looking box is standing just a few feet away with nice drawings and skillfully craved cardboard attachments, Kyungsoo starts to get jealous in a my-neighbour’s-Christmas-decorations-are-nicer-than-mine kind of way. He hates it. He was the one with the box complex. Kai had no right to just beat Kyungsoo at his own game.

“Pass that,” Kyungsoo pointed to a marker resting next to Kai, who was busy cutting out flowers to stick along the bottom of his box. Kai looked up and blinked to Kyungsoo.

“The marker?” He asked, tilting his head. Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip hard and crawled over to snatch the marker away. He scurried back over to his box once he finished his mission. After crossing his legs, Kyungsoo started drawing over top of Kai’s previous designs.

To say that Kyungsoo was a good artist would be a lie. He . Bad. Kyungsoo realizes this when he compares his drawn windows to Kai’s. “How does he do that?” he murmured under his breath, envy filling his every fiber.

“What?”

Kyungsoo froze and remained silent. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough to keep Kai away.

The sun beaming on Kyungsoo’s back was blocked by Kai’s shadow as Kai stood over him. “Are those windows?” Kai asked, his tone not really meant to be condescending but Kyungsoo still felt pathetic.

“Yes,” he mumbled and slumped his shoulders, “I just…my hands aren’t steady enough.”

Kai smiles softly at Kyungsoo and sits down next to him, “Do you want me to help you?”

Kyungsoo takes in a deep breath and his pride tells him that he better decline the offer. Kyungsoo, in reality, doesn’t move. He just stares at Kai with uncertainty. Kai’s smile continued to shine through as he faced the box. Kai turned Kyungsoo’s box around to a new side, “It’s okay. You can do it and I’ll direct you.”  

Kyungsoo looks to the box and hesitantly brings his shaky hand up. Having Kai analyze him was making him nervous. It was like an apprentice being scrutinized by the master; you want to impress them but you know you don’t have enough skills to do so.

When the marker touched down on the cardboard, Kai directs him to stop. The hand that held onto the marker was overlapped by another. His hand is then forced into a different position that is admittedly more comfortable. “For more control,” Kai whispers and then he forces Kyungsoo's hand to move. Kyungsoo, still feeling in control of what he was drawing, finds himself drawing a clean and even line with Kai's aid.

“Try again,” Kai says as he removes his hand from Kyungsoo’s. Kyungsoo obeys. Another clean and even line. He makes a few more and he finds an image of a simple window in front of him. It wasn’t anything special but it looked nice and, most importantly, like a window.

“Not bad for a beginner,” Kai nods appreciatively and ruffles Kyungsoo’s hair. Kyungsoo in return pulls his head away and tries to fix the mess. He stares at Kai again.

“Thanks,” He says, not really liking the feeling that he owed Kai something.

“You’re welcome,” Kai modestly replies, “Thanks for making my box.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t think he needed to be thanked, considering it was quite a few days ago and making a box doesn’t really require much effort. Still, Kyungsoo can't help but feel a little happy despite all that and replies, “you’re welcome.”

“Do you maybe…want to help make some flowers? You can use the cardboard I brought and make some of your own.”

Kyungsoo is completely taken aback from the proposition. Warning sirens ring in his head. This was too friendly. This was too much. Abort mission, abort mission. However, one look at Kai’s box creation fueled another spark of envy. That spark was enough to convince Kyungsoo to agree.

“Sure.” 

 


(Chapter revised 09/05)

Updatee *does a dance*
I actually had a little trouble with this one and I'm not completely satisfied. Oh well, I think it might be because their bond is forming and with Kyungsoo anti-sociable character, it's a little difficult to write something I deemed believeable enough. I hope this is okay. Also, describing the whole folding flaps thing was difficult. I hope everyone got what I was saying with that. 
Also, should I get a beta/proofreader? I'm honestly one of the worst persons when it comes to grammar and formating. I'm a reader that skims really badly with regular fiction, so me proof reading usually isn't the greatest. If anyone is interested in helping me out (/getting to read the chapter before everyone else in return for editing it), message me?
That done, thank you too all my subscribers and commenters! Like, I get a scare everytime I see the amount I have. It's almost too good to be true, am I dreaming? *pinches self* I hope I can keep you all as this progresses. <3

Onto COMMENT REPLIES (I'll try to keep it short so I can post this chapter quicker):

@MrsKkamJong - 50 chapters of silence D: The tortureee. :D Bahah, I didn't realize the shaking comment was that funny. YAYY <3 Thanks for commenting mah dear <3

@wooyochie - :D Thank you! I'm so happy ^^ I hope this chapter makes you feel a little warm as well. Lol, scene. That time will come...in a while. like, a while while while. 
@Drawingfishies - *slapping my knees laughing* Your fumble was cute <3 I get chuu. Oh OH! Good luck on your exams!! 
@PurpleSwils - D: Really? Neat! I don't remember ever reading that short story in my English class, so I can honestly say I'm not planning on copying it. Lol, Kyungsoo? Alone? PFT, not if Kai can help it teehee. And thank you soo much <3
@taesteful - Yayy, glad you liked it :)
@missEe502 - Ellllo Zheee dongsang!  Lol, naww. I hope this chapter better explains why Kyungsoo isn't really one to make introductions first (unless he wants/needs something).  Thankies for swinging byyy <3 
@DBSKforever5 - Lol, I feel like no matter what I do with OTP pairings, I write bits of fluff. I think my feels desire it. Yayy, thanks for loving it :D!
@lovefaith - Lol, really? Thanks! It's nice to know someone believes in me :D I swear I can make it work *determination*. Yup, oneshot for candy hearts. I got it allllll mapped out in my head. It's still on the cute side, but alot of smexiness in there as well. Lol, and I made Kyungsoo's character kind of an angsty teen. Maybe that's why. Either way, let's continue to love Kaisoo together :)
@wookiekyuie - KAISOOOOOOO! LET'S SAIL THIS SHIP TO PARADISE! Lol, thank youuu <3
@aimee2304 - Thanks! ^^
@lover88 - :D Welcome, welcome! Thanks for subbing! And I'm happy you like it so farr <3 Thankyou x 84574507354850940985 *throws hearts*
@tami-- - I hope you like this chapter even though it might not be as cute :)
@doitlikethis123 - Lol, didn't realize that part was liked that much. Thank youu~~ <3
@stepiee - Thanks! I hope you like this chapter even though it isn't as cute...at least I don't think it is. My cute-dar screws with me sometimes. 
@monshie09_aff - Oh hi there amazing person. Thank you sooo much, I'm glad you like the way I write. I'm so hypercritical of it.  Annnd I do not have twitter, sworry. I'm thinking about it though, I'm slowly getting convinced to join the dark side that is twitter (and possibly tumblr).  Much lovvveee <3
@woobabylove0904 - Lol, THANK YOU <3 I'm glad you liked those scene. I was like is it too much? A little too exaggerated? Yayyy, thank you. LOL, Kaisoo feels are hard to calm down. My fix is writing, I'm not sure what non-writers do. KEEP STRONG! 
@kyunghochae - Yayy, I'm glad :)
@SHINeeluv1 - :D Really? Scoree~~ I'm glad you like it so far :)
@isiss1994 - D: REALLY? I'm honoured. I hope I can continue to convert you (I swear us Kaisoo shippers are friendly). And thank you, it's nice you have so much confidence in me and my writing. LOL, ego boooost. 
@myloveisinfinitex3 - No.Way. You are one cool person *props* I think I might have done the same with my laundry basket, I don't know my memory is terrible and your comment reminded me. BUT that does not matter. I'm glad you like it so far, thank yooouuu <3
@IshidaMichaelis - :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D YESHH, I'm happy *throws confhetti* Especially when you say the flow is natural. That's really important for me :) Sometimes, I feel like I'm rushing, other times, not going fast enough. Thankkk you. LOL, thank you for trusting me, I will try my hardest not to let you down !! Hmm, I hope this chapter better reflects Kyungsoo's character in terms of how he deals with people. Lol, it's true to say Kyungsoo's being a little childish eh? Thanks forrr zee support <3
@Serene - D: PRESSURE. I hope I meet your expectations *bows down*
@Neesanessa - :D Thank you! I'm glad you like them ^^
@Lullycream - D: So many exams! Lullycream hwaiting! YESH, I'm glad you like Kyungsoo ^^ He's a little bit on the depressing side, but yeah. More and more characterization will develop and I hope you continue to like him. LOL, I haven't develope Kai's character well enough yet, so I won't much about him :P And, I'm not sure. I got onto the thought of moving and then it just kind of happened....Awesome, our reader/author relationship shall continue on forever and ever. At least, I hope so, I like it very much <# Really? I'm glad you're open to . LOL, I totally wrote that last chapter to prepare everyone. People were saying it's too cute and I was like "OH YEAH? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED" :P

Oh my god. So manny comments. Thank you. If I get more than this, I don't know what I'm going to do. Thank you for all your support! I really appreciate it! Imma gonna leave you now. Here's a gif I'm going to leave you that I found especially funny before I go.


Much love everyone <3