Grandfather Clock

Paper Mâché

12.
 

Ambitions. Kyungsoo wondered what having those felt like. It seemed obvious to him that Kai had ambitions.  The kind of ambitions that mapped out his entire future. He knew what art school he wanted to study in, he knew where to promote his art, and he also knew influential people who could in turn connect him with other influential people.

In comparison to that, what did Kyungsoo have planned? Nothing. Kyungsoo didn’t even like to think of the future in the general. It just never appealed to him due to the fact it always brought his mood down. Avoidance was something Kyungsoo easily learned to excel at. But, after meeting Kai, Kyungsoo finally admitted that avoiding troubles doesn't actually them go away. And was he ever in trouble. Kyungsoo didn’t have any idea what to do with his life. He had a one way ticket to nowhere if he didn’t think of a direction quickly.

Kyungsoo had just half a year before he would graduate high school and needless to say, the time waits for no one. Time crunched and Kyungsoo crunched out possible interests to pursue. Maybe he could further his studies in a subject he was good at? He did have the highest math scores in his class, perhaps a mathematician was a possibility?

No way. Definitely not. How did that even cross his mind? Where was the amusement in that? Kyungsoo didn't find any joy in solving math problems and he wanted to amount to something. If he was going to do something with his life, he wanted it to have more meaning, more impact. 

His thoughts ventured to his parents' profession. Good novels always a hidden meaning or message behind their plots. Writing could very well run in the family, right?

Wrong. Kyungsoo was doing poorly in his creative writing course. His teacher's string of words stated his plots were flat, repetitive and lacked creativity. Like he needed a teacher to tell him that he wasn't creative enough. Kyungsoo adored the arts, but he sure as heck wasn't good at any of them. Which speaked another matter for Kyungsoo. He wanted to do something he would enjoy. A dependent nine to five job wasn't an option for him if he was numbly slaving away in a cubicle. Then again... what did Kyungsoo even enjoy doing in his free time? Relaxing in a cardboard box most likely didn't have any related professions. Other than that, Kyungsoo mostly read his mystery novels. But, he already ruled out writing. No, Kyungsoo wasn't giving up yet. This was his future he was thinking about. There just has to be something just right for him. It was just a mystery for him to solve, and he knew could do it if he just put his thinking cap on. A spark, a of genius, just anything.

“You know, I think you’d be a good investigator,” Kai said after taking a bite of Kyungsoo’s sandwich held idly in the air as Kyungsoo pondered.  “Like all those guys in your books.”

Well, damn, Kyungsoo thought. There it was. Kai just had to open up his lips and out pours the answer Kyungsoo was busting brain cells over. It was a considerably good answer at that.  It definitely sounded appealing to Kyungsoo. Being an investigator made Kyungsoo think of a never-ending mystery novel with him as the main character. Of course, Kyungsoo wasn't the most positive of people, he seriously questioned his ability to become a decent investigator. After all, he couldn’t even figure out what the next major step in his life just a few moments before.

“I mean, you like figuring out things, right? And I believe if you like what you do, you’ll be happy. That's why I applied to the top art school in the country. I don’t think I’ll get accepted, but if I do, I’ll see it as a sign to run away and follow my dreams,” Kai sighed, staring up to the sky mindlessly. “Because being happy is more important than fame and riches.”

Kyungsoo slid his hand across the ground and gripped one of Kai’s hands that lay by his side. “Thanks, Jongin. I think so too.”  Yes, above all he wanted Kai to be happy. Kai deserved it. And Kyungsoo was determined to help him in any way he could.

So, the day after he planted the sketchbook in Kai’s father’s office, he was feeling good but awkwardly anxious. There was always the chance that the negative would happen. That Kai’s father would throw a fit and Kai would be angry at him for intervening. Kyungsoo prayed it wouldn’t end that way. His plan had to work. He needed his plan to work.

It was the beginning of first period and Kyungsoo had just opened his textbook when Kai slammed the classroom door opened. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as he caught the yellow and green forming around one of Kai’s eyes. A black eye. Kyungsoo’s heart plummeted into his stomach.  

Kyungsoo wasn’t given much time to recover from his heart sickness because Kai wasted no time making his way to Kyungsoo’s desk and grabbing onto Kyungsoo’s arm hard. Kyungsoo was forcibly dragged out of the classroom with the shocked eyes of his classmates and the shouts of his teacher following after him.

His plan didn’t work. Kai was really angry. Kai was going to rip him a new one. He was going to tear his heart from his chest and step all over it. Prepare yourself, Kyungsoo. Prepare yourself.

Kyungsoo wrestled with Kai’s grip and begged him to stop. He asked Kai to slow down, to look at him or to speak with him. Slowly, Kyungsoo was getting scared. How angry was Kai? Was Kai…going to hurt him? No. No. Kai wouldn’t do that.

Kai continued to haul Kyungsoo through the school and out of its doors. They went through the school grounds and Kyungsoo recognized exactly where they were going. Kai was taking him to the rooftop and Kyungsoo simply concluded he was dead meat. He wanted to believe that Kai was too nice of a person to raise a hand against anything. He really really wanted too, but with the secluded location of the rooftop, anything could happen and there would be no one to hear his cries.

Kai made Kyungsoo go up the ladder first, or more so hinted at Kyungsoo to go up first. Either way, Kyungsoo was glad to have the jaws of life off his forearm and climbed the ladder with Kai following closely behind.

They both were on the roof. Air breathed through their hair for a tense moment. Kyungsoo analyzed Kai’s expression and was becoming a nervous wreck when he found it indistinguishable. Kyungsoo didn’t know what to do at that point. So, he said the first thing that came to mind.

“I’m sorr—"

Kai grabbed the back of his neck harshly and slammed their lips together. Kyungsoo’s surprised yelp was successfully muffled as Kai’s mouth ate up all his noise. Need. That’s what rang clear in Kyungsoo’s mind. He understood what it meant, but didn’t understand how it applied to the situation. Kai should not be kissing him like that if he was angry. Unless…he wasn’t angry?

Kai pulled back and pecked Kyungsoo multiple times, “You are an idiot.”

So, Kai was angry then?

“An idiot I am so lucky to have.”

Wait, does that mean he’s not mad?

“I can’t believe you would even do that with my father, after everything that you knew.”

Kyungsoo didn’t know what to think, if his thought processing was even functioning. Never mind the yellow and green staring at him accusingly. God, he hoped that wasn’t there for the reason he thought of.

“But you know what he said, Kyungsoo? You know what he told me?”

No, he didn’t know, and quite frankly, he wasn’t sure he wanted to know.

Kai smiled brightly and Kyungsoo's heart instantly loosened. “He was fine with it. H-he accepted it. He even gave me the letter from that art school I told you about. I was accepted into that too, the best damn art school in the country. I’m going and my father’s fine with it. He…even told me he liked my stuff. Kyungsoo, god… I can’t,” Kai’s eyes were searching his, tears staining the corners of them. “I’m so happy. Thank you, Kyungsoo. Thank you for taking the chance I never took.”

Kai kissed him once more and Kyungsoo promptly melted. A small thought interrupted his bliss and he pulled back, “Wait, your eye—what happened?” Kyungsoo managed to say in between pecks.  

Kai blinked at him before realization dawned on him, “Oh, I ran into a pillar in my home while I was rereading my acceptance letter. I had a hard time taking my eyes off it.”

Kyungsoo smiled, “I’m happy for you.”

“Happy I have a black eye?”

“No, idiot, that your father accepted you.” Kyungsoo snickered and poked at Kai’s bruise. Kai frowned before his lips formed back into his brightening smile.

“Abuse me all you want, because I don’t think I’m coming down from this high anytime soon.” Kai beamed and continued pecking Kyungsoo, hands persuading him to move forward.

“Good, I’ve been itching for a reason to punch your handsome face.”

Kai only smirked as he wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo’s waist and took him closer to their box. He deepened their kiss and forced Kyungsoo to bend down. They both got under the box and Kai straddled Kyungsoo’s thighs.

“Haven’t you heard that a kiss with a fist is better than none?” Kai said as they separated their lips momentarily.

“Nope but it sounds like a painful love.” Kyungsoo said, staring at Kai’s own lips.

“Then we can love without fists.” Kai rubbed his thumbs against Kyungsoo’s jaw lovingly.

Kyungsoo smiled back, “Sounds like a good plan.”


(Chapter revised 18/11)

WooHoo Hoooo HOOOOO. Fluffy Fluffy mcfluff fluff. BAHAHA, why did everyone think his father wouldn't accept Kai? God, I blame all the angst-y kaisoo fics. We're always thinking negatively now! Anyways. NEXT CHAPTER IS THE AWAITED ! There's legit nothing in there besides what happens at Kai's house and what further happens under their box. You have been warned~~.

Also, comment replies for last update were done via wallposting because I didn't reply to any last update. I hope I didn't bug anyone by doing that OO'

ps: Listen to Phantom's mini album. Do.it. Burning=Gah! Sanchez=GAH!!! Fangirling
Pic spam:


THEY FUDGING HUGGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bye. Dead now.