Foundation

Paper Mâché

1.

 

It was kind of like show and tell, except you were the object being showcased. Kyungsoo had grown used to it at that point; the whole situation of standing in front of new faces and having them analyze every inch of you. He knew during those few crucial seconds, they would assume how good looking he was, how smart he was, which group he would fit into and etc. It was just the usual matters that came with every first impression.

“All right, students! As you may have heard, we have a new student joining us today. Even though it is outside of the regular time bracket for new students, I hope you will welcome him with open arms. Now, would you like to introduce yourself to the class?”

Kyungsoo nodded to the teacher with a practiced smile before facing the class of onlookers, “Hello, my name’s Do Kyungsoo. I hope we can all get along well,” and he bowed his head to a small nod. The usual pitter-patter of an applause was awkwardly given.

“Great, thank you Mr. Do. You can take a seat by that window over there,” the teacher motioned with his hand to an empty seat near the back of the classroom. Kyungsoo nodded in affirmation and made his way over to his assigned seat. He could feel the eyes following him as he moved but he didn't bother paying them any heed. He plopped down onto the seat and met eyes with the girl sitting in front of him. He gave her a small smile and she smiled back before she turned to the front.

“Now with that out of the way, it's time to start what I know is everyone’s favourite subject, History! Out with your books, everyone!“ The teacher clapped his hands together and turned to the chalkboard that stood behind him. Kyungsoo felt a weight lift off his chest as his classmates focused their attention onto the teacher instead of him.

The hardest part was over, he thought.

He breezed past the next two periods pretty effortlessly. He spoke when spoken to and smiled accordingly. Things were easier that way. Be friendly but never make friends.

“Man, did you do that dare last night?”

“Of course I did! But good god, I swear the roof of that old storage room is haunted.”

Those words perked Kyungsoo’s attention. He set his sights on the girl sitting in front of him and tapped her on the shoulder. He could see her quickly stuffing with rice before turning to Kyungsoo quite abruptly.

“Sorry to…interrupt," he cracked a cute smile and tilted his head, "but I heard something about an old storage room?” The girl stared at him for a bit before quickly chewing and swallowing her food.

“Yeah, what about it?” the girl asked, raising an eyebrow. Kyungsoo tried to keep his polite facade in check.

“Is it true it’s haunted?”

“If you believe in that sort of thing, yeah. Most people just avoid it because it’s not in-use and it’s kind of out of the way. For the most part, everything recreational is on the west side of the school while the storage room is on the east.”

Kyungsoo almost felt the strain on his lips relax as a true smile came through, “Oh, cool. I’ve never been to school with a haunted place. I guess I know where to avoid now, thanks.” Kyungsoo nodded and then got up from his seat before the girl could try to strike up further conversation.  

It was almost too perfect. He just needed to scope the place out and he’d be set.  

He ventured outside the classroom and into the school's yard, trying to figure exactly which side of the school was west and which was east. Eventually he found the school's soccer field and thought that walking in the opposite direction would be a good start. So, he kept walking for a bit until he hit a patch of trees far off from the school. Frowning, he looked around until he found a small beaten path leading into the tiny forest. He followed the path while watching his step and eventually came across a building that had definitely seen better days.

He made his way over to the visible twin doors but saw that it was chained and locked shut. So, he headed around the building and saw a built-in metal ladder attached to the building's side. He looked around and wiped his sweaty hands on his black school pants before he gripped onto the rustic bars of the ladder. After he climbed and was fully on top of the roof, he was very pleased to see that it appeared like no one did spend any time there. There were no cigarette buds or graffiti scattered on the roof. That was always a good sign. However, there was one more test.

Kyungsoo tilted his head up and smiled. Perfect, he could see the sky clearly. The trees surrounding the old storage building were far enough back not to obscure the view of the sky, yet they blocked the school from viewing the building. Kyungsoo couldn't believe he found such a perfect location so effortlessly

Kyungsoo climbed down the ladder and practically skipped his way back to class. When he got to second floor where his classroom was located, he expected curious stares to hit him but strangely enough he didn’t feel them. He paused for a moment when he felt something across his back. It wasn’t something literal but rather a light brush of air. Kyungsoo peered over his shoulder and saw a male student a few meters behind him. Said student walked in a way that flowed and he had a certain grace that not many people could pull off. His uniform was put together a little messier than others, though it wasn't the messiest Kyungsoo had seen. There was one thing that caught his attention the most and it was the boy’s eyes. Goodness, did they ever look blank. They were the epitome of unreadable. Kyungsoo forced himself to get over the dead stare only to have his sights locked onto the tattered book within the student’s grasp. A large book with many worn pages were clutched within blackened and smudged hands. Kyungsoo made a guess that maybe the student was an artist.

“Ohh, I wonder where Kai went off to today,” a girl said from next to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo glanced over to the girl before seeing the boy or "Kai" vanish into the classroom next to his.

“Who knows? I think if you knew, he’d have to kill you. He would lose his mysterious appeal otherwise,” her friend snickered in reply. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at the common gossip and entered his classroom. It wouldn’t be the first time a school had a loner bad boy like Kai. It was actually quite typical to Kyungsoo; the school, the classmates and Kai. He’s seen it all before, it was just different places and faces.

When Kyungsoo got home after school, he prepared his supplies. He grabbed the largest box he could find from the recent move and flattened it. Once that was done, he left it by the front door along with his school bag. Inside the bag, past all his school notebooks, were his usual tools of tape, scissors, an X-Acto knife and glue. Later that night, he ate a quiet dinner with his bubbly parents before retiring to bed. He eagerly set his alarm an hour early and found himself falling asleep in no time.

One alarm beep was enough to wake Kyungsoo. He hurriedly got ready for school and whipped up a quick breakfast for himself. He grabbed his school bag and the large flattened box before he set off.

It was early enough not to have any normal students around the school but late enough to have the school’s gates open. Kyungsoo was aware how strange it would be to see a student carrying around a large flattened cardboard box. So, the early morning preparation was a necessary security precaution. After all, he didn’t want anyone to get curious and follow him. That would complicate matters. It wasn't like anyone could or would understand the reason behind his actions.

Soon, Kyungsoo made his way across the school’s grounds and followed the tiny beaten path he’d traveled on the day before. He easily found the old storage building and walked around back. He painstakingly climbed the ladder using the sole arm that was accessible. When he made it to the top, he checked his watch. He had an hour and an hour was more than plenty.

He picked up the flattened box and he folded it into what he usually called the frame. He bend all the flaps quickly and taped it in the right places. He flipped it upside down and cut off the opening flaps (those weren’t really needed). He then cut out three sides of a rectangle on the top of box and pushed down. That was what he called the sun roof.

Kyungsoo could barely contain his excitement when he grabbed the box and lifted it over his head. He let go and cardboard walls surrounded him. A familiar wave of calmness washed through his mind. After riding out his bliss, he cut a small hole in one of the top corners of the box. A peephole, just in case someone did decide to pay a visit to the old storage room's roof. In said event, all he had to do was to remain inside the box and observe them through the hole until they left. Sure, a box may seem out of the ordinary because it was the only object on the entire roof, but, that was it. It was just a regular box. Who really cared about a box? (Kyungsoo was, of course, not included within this statement) However, during that day’s lunch break, poor Kyungsoo had to rethink that very conclusion.  

When it was time for lunch, Kyungsoo quickly leapt out of his desk and politely smiled goodbye to his classmates. With his lunchbox and a good book in hand, he headed to his little hideout. He climbed up the ladder and made his way over to his box. He lifted it over his head and soon Kyungsoo was encased in darkness. Kyungsoo popped the flap of the sunroof down and basked in the sunlight that hit his face. He sighed contently and began eating his lunch in peace.

His ears suddenly picked up on an unusual noise. Kyungsoo immediately stopped eating and locked up his lunchbox. He quickly pushed the sunroof back up and directed his sights to the peephole. A hand appeared from the edge of the building, then a head, along with a neck and eventually a full body. It was the loner bad boy, Kai. Kyungsoo cursed his luck. Of course a guy like him would hang out at a place like the roof.

Kai caught sight of the box expectantly and eyed it with curiosity. He slowly made his way over and Kyungsoo felt the sweat building along his forehead. Kai observed the box for a quick second and gave it a light kick. Kyungsoo mentally cursed the boy to kingdom come if he had so much as scratched his brand new baby. Luckily, Kai shrugged his shoulders before he walked a distance away and sat down. He pulled out the tattered large book that Kyungsoo saw from the day before and flipped through a few pages. He pulled out what looked to be a charcoal pencil and started sketching or some activity similar to it. 

So, Kyungsoo was officially a sitting duck until Kai decided that the scenery was too uninspiring for his artistic self…or until the school bell rang. Which it  promptly did. Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip as he eyed Kai lazily getting up and making his way to the ladder. Kyungsoo knew he had to give enough time between the two of them before he could get going. Sadly, at the rate Kai was going, Kyungsoo knew he would have to run in order to make it to class on time. And you can bet that he did indeed run.

Kyungsoo's fingernails took some abuse from his teeth once he was nervously sitting in class. It was a one time thing, he told himself. An artist’s interest is fleeting. Kai would not come back to his haven.  

Too bad Kyungsoo never did have a good track record with his wishful thinking.


(Chapter Revised 29/08/12)
Yikes! Sorry guys if you got a notification! I accidently hit the wrong button. Derp. My bad! I clicked update chapter before I finished proof reading. GAHH. Okay that done. Onward we gooo!

So, wordy chapter I know. It's intro. It's gotta get done!  So the chapters after this will be more and more focused on Kaisoo interaction so hold out a little longer folks! Also, this story is NOT going to be completely fluffy, I'm aiming for a more "Slice of Life" kind of feel. Hopefully that's all right with you guys. Also this will definitely going to be longer than my Baekyeol fic. At least, that's how my timeline is playing out. And my feels, ohmegosh, I'm so excited to type it all out. 
And can I just say WOW? That many subscribers with just the foreword? You guys nuts or what? It's okay, I like nuts. I hope I meet all of your expectations! *bows head* 
Ohh kay. I realized with my past stories replying to comments in the comment box was a little difficult so I thought I could try writing them in here instead. Hopefully that's all right with everyone! If not, do tell me and I will change it accordingly. (There's also wall post replies, but yeah. I favor this method over that). 

COMMENT REPLIES:

@Ancient_Moon - Thankies! I hope I meet your expectation with this fic ^^ Thanks for following me with my other fics as well, so nice of you :')

@Kaisoon - Thank you :D I hope you'll continue to like it ^^
@lovefaith - Omo, thank you! I'm all better now :) LOL, Kyungsoo+glitter comparison = the shiz. I approve ;)
@woobabylove0904 - Thank youuu, I'm looking forward to writing it myself ;) I hope you'll continue to like it!
@PurpleSwils - Nice, formed a character/reader bond already. Author goal already accomplished! Lol, I hope you like the first chapter
@wookiekyuie - Kyungsoo is sooo adorable, he's moody in the update but he'll lighten up :)
@MissEe502 - I can't wait to really get this fic going either! Imma excited ^^ I hope I displayed Kyungsoo moving turmoil well enough in the future for you :) Lol, take as much space as you like! Thanks for the support, much love :P
@Lullycream - Bonjour! We meet encore! Lol, sorry for the frananglais. I didn't know about the "a" either until MS word was telling me I was spelling it wrong. Behold, I went to google and got papier mâché. I decided to just stick to the english word for paper instead. :P I hope you like this fic even if it's not as fluffy as my Baekyeol fic :P 
@monshie09_aff - I know...BUT MY FEELS FEEL TOO GOOD TO REGRET ANYTHING. Lol, I hope you like this one as much as the Baekyeol one. :P
@shadowdragon357 - D: Such high expectations! Yikes, I hope I can fulfill them! Thanks for the confidence though ^^
@MrsKkamJong - LOL, thank youuu. I hope it fills the void well enough <3
@DBSKforever5 - Yayy, I hoped you like the first chapter, though there wasn't much Kaisoo interaction yet. >> Oh well, expect more later...definitely >:)

Thanks to all the commenters! You rock my world! 
And now, I shall leave you all. Buh bye!!