Bound By Fate

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

The private room where Sunmi laid has a mix of dark emotions: gloomy, eerie, dull, stark. Everything was white, the walls, tiled floor, curtains, sheets, even the machines that monitor her. There’s plenty of space to move about but nowhere to get comfortable. A long black couch where Sungmin is fast asleep stood in a corner with a coffee table in front of it. EXO made sure to fill the room with a variety of fresh flowers everyday leaving an aromatic scent.

Another night just dropped and she’s still in a trance. Tubes were sticking out of her arm and chest. Her face was pale and stricken with bruises and cuts. She was finally breathing on her own but never spared a single twitch.

Teddy sat on a chair and placed an arm on the bed to sleep on it while holding her hand with the other. He managed to convince Kai and Kris to go home and get a decent sleep since both boys never left her side. They stayed up day and night just to see her wake up. They would talk to her, tell her stories or jokes, helps the nurse when her wounds are being cleaned, Kai even danced for her when he was left alone.

Teddy woke up in the middle of the night with only a light over her head to guide him. He went to fix Sungmin’s blanket and pillow and made sure he was sleeping at ease. He went back to Sunmi and held her left hand again. “Aigooo~ Sweetie… You’ve been sleeping far too long already. Please wake up…” he sighed.

While her hand, he noticed her ring with stains of dried blood. Teddy went to the washroom and came back with gauze soaked in alcohol. “Sunmi-ah, I’ll just clean this up, okay?”

Just as he was about to pull the glistening silver band, her finger twitched. “Ehhh?” he wondered. Teddy stared at her hand and waited for signs of movement but it didn’t. “Prolly just a reflex…” he jerked his head to the side and grasped the ring tighter as he tries to pull it off once again.

Sunmi however snapped her wrist and clenched her fingers into a ball. “Woah~ Okay… Okay… I won’t take it off, sweetie!” Teddy raised his hands in front of him and quickly stood to kiss her forehead. “Sunmi-ah, I know you can hear me… Can you try opening your eyes?”

It took her a while and a lot of burning pain to respond but Teddy patiently waited. Her eyes finally flickered and she squinted to adjust to the brightness of the room. A blurry figure was leaning in front of her who smiled brightly. “Hey sweetie…”

“O-oppaaa…” she mouthed.

“Holy mother of God! Thank you…” he leaned and kissed her forehead. “It’s great to have you back, Sunmi!” he pulled away and held her chin. “I’ll just go and get the doctor, okay? I’ll be back!” and she nodded.

After Teddy left, all Sunmi could do is look up at the ceiling blankly. The physical pain was bearable but her emotions were shattering her. It was horrible and unceasing. She was empty. Hurt was eating her bit by bit and soon, there won't be any of her left.

A team of doctors and nurses came in to check her vitals. They hovered her like a swarm of bees and she would flinch every time they come in to contact. After she was declared stable, some of the tubes were removed and her bed was inclined for comfort.

She could see her uncle on the phone and her brother on the couch. “Sungmin-ah…” she croaked and smiled at his sleeping figure while hugging Stitch.

Teddy went back to her side after the doctors left and sat on the bed. “They said that you just need to rest and take the medicines prescribed for pain.”

“Neh…” her voice was hoarse. “Oppa… can I have some water, please?”

“Sure! Wait a minute…” Teddy stood and went back with a glass of water. “Here you go…” he supported her head while she drank.

“Komawo…” her voice was audible this time.

After placing the glass on a table beside the bed, Teddy noticed her staring in nothingness. He placed her left hand in between his palms and clutched them altogether. “Tell me about it, sweetie. Oppa is here…”

“I'm tired of trying, sick of crying, my body is battered…” she grasped the sheets with her right hand. “…I know I've been smiling but inside I'm dying, oppa. Everytime I go back up, I still end up going down beaten and hurt... And just when I thought my life was coming together, I realized it was just starting to fall apart.” she was expressionless.

Teddy raised one hand and held her face. She blinked after feeling his warm touch. “Sweetie, look at me…” and she followed. “Pain is there to remind us that we are still alive to fight it. Yes, you’ve been battered but you’re not destroyed. You gotta fight it, Sunmi! Be patient and tough, one day this pain will be useful to you…” and she broked down.

“I don’t know *sobs* if I’ll get *sobs* better. I might just get used to it…” she wept.

Teddy then leaned closer and hugged her. He gently pressed her head on his shoulder and her hair. “Sunmi-ah, I don't necessarily want you to be happy, I just want you to stop feeling miserable. Let’s start from that okay? Do it for Sungmin! He pulls strength from his loving sister and you should too.”

“I will, oppa…” she bawled.

“If it will make you feel better, that’s okay, just cry…” he patted her back.

“O-oppaaa… I lost Sehun! *sobs* My bestfriend! My lunchdate! My soulmate!” she leaned her head on his shoulder and tears instantly soaked the blanket.

“Sshhh… Sehun is in a better place now. He’s watching over you and I’m pretty sure he’s not happy seeing you this way… Remember as well that things happen for a reason. It’s his destiny to leave early and you were both bound by fate. You may not have ended up together but having you completed him.”

“He’s an idiot!” she sniffed and chuckled.

“Everything’s gonna be okay… It always does, Sunmi! Just keep breathing…” Teddy patted her back.

“I will, oppa… For you, for Jiyong oppa, for EXO and especially for Sungmin!”

“That’s my girl…” he then kissed her forehead and gently laid her back against the inclined bed.

The door slid open and a panting Kai came in. His eyes widened at the sight of her clutching her chest while Teddy tucked a pillow under her neck. He staggered towards her with jaws agape.

“I’ll go out for a bit to buy you food…” Teddy stood and left. “Jongin, take care of her, okay?” he patted Kai’s shoulder on the way out.

Sunmi however scowled and glared at him. “Yah! Kim Jongin! Didn't I tell you I'm not happy seeing you that way? You lost a lot of weight! Aish!” but he ignored her.

He never left her gaze and immediately hugged her after sitting on the bed. “Oh God, Sunmi! I thought I lost you too…”

She raised her right arm and placed it around his back. “Miahnae…”

“Don’t you ever do that again, araseo? Aish!” he slightly pushed her and poked her forehead. “OW!” she hissed.

Kai then cupped her face. “Seriously Sunmi, don't get hurt again for sake! It's no fun at all. I swear, I’d go crazy if it happens again. If you’re an adrenalin junkie, let me know and I’d be more than happy to spare a punch on your face!”

“What the ?! What if I punch you first?!” she clenched her right hand and hit his arm.

“AAhhh!” he winced and fell back on the bed.

“Yeah right! As if it hurt! Pft!” she scoffed.

Kai went back up and cupped her face again. “I miss you sooooo so much…”

“I miss you too…” she smiled and he leaned closer within an inch away. “I love you…” he whispered.

“I love you too, babe!” she emphasized the word.

Kai pulled further away bug-eyed. “Babe? You’re talking to me?” he pointed a finger to his face.

“Of course! Who elese would I be talking to?” she rolled her eyes. “I’m pretty sure Sehun is around here somewhere but he already knows who you are to me.”

“This isn’t a joke right? Seriously?”

“Babo! Making fun of you is my choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control. But since you’re not interested, fine…” she looked away. “I can’t believe I just got dumped.” she sighed.

Kai suddenly lunged on her. “AHHHH!!!” she groaned. “Yah! Jongin!” she cried from the throbbing pain.

“Oh my God! ! I’m sorry!” Kai panicked and wiped her tears.

“Aish! Take it easy, will ya!” she sniffed.

Kai hugged her gently this time. “Oh Sunmi is mine. Definitely mine!” he pulled away again and held her chin. He was smiling from ear to ear as he tilt his head and aiming for her lips. He was just inches away when she pressed her lips together. “What the…” he looked up to her and she shook her head.

“What do you mean no?”

“It’s not hygienic. I was asleep for almost two weeks and I feel dirty. So no kissing!” she stuck her tongue out and pressed her lips once again.

“HELL NO! YAAHHH!!!” he protested and he shrugged with her right arm. “I’ll make you kiss me! HAH!” he held her head and pressed it towards him while he puckered his lips.

"MMMM!!!!" she pushed him with his right arm and struggled then Teddy came in. “OPPA!!! Jongin is harassing me!” she yelled.

“MWOH???” Teddy growled.

Kai straightened up and hysterically waved his hands towards her uncle. “A-Aniyo! Hyung, I would never do that to Sunmi!”

Teddy rushed to him and almost yanked him out of the bed by the collar. “Oppa, we were just playing. Hehehe!” she snickered.

“Ahhhh~ Why don’t you go to sleep then. It’s still early in the morning, have some rest!”

“Okay!” she beamed and tapped a vacant spot beside her. “Wanna stay for a while?” she asked Kai. “Of course!”

Kai laid on her right side and snuck an arm under her neck while the other was on her waist. He carefully pulled her closer and rested his cheek on her head. “Rest well, baby!”

“You too…” and they drifted to sleep.