Best Friends For Life

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

EXO were having dinner at DO’s house for a Thursday night get together. They ate and talked on a long table filled with a variety of dishes. Suho and DO sat on both ends, Sehun sat in between Kris and Luhan on one side, Kai is in between Chanyeol and Baekhyun on the other.

“Sehun-ah, I already have the rings from Cartier.” Chanyeol said. “Sweet! I’ll get it to you later before going home. Thanks!”

“Rings? For who?” Luhan wondered while eyeing Chanyeol across him.

“Maknae asked helped from my mom in getting a ring for him and Sunmi. She has good taste in jewelries, y’know!” he beamed.

“MWOH???” the rest of them chorused while Sehun just kept on eating. “Sehun-ah, what’s the meaning of this?” Baekhyun asked.

“What? I’m just giving her a present!” he mused and the room is now silent. Only clashing of utensils against the plates can be heard and occasional gulps.

Kris and Kai were tensed. The best friends are getting awkward by the day and their friendship is suddenly at stake when they fell in love with the same girl. They know either one of them will be hurt but neither one of them have plans of giving up.

Kris pretended to be calm while Kai bore a stare at Sehun’s forehead. “Got a problem with me, Jongin?” he stared back and the rest of EXO braced for a clash.

“As a matter of fact, I do! Can you like stop being with Sunmi all the time. It’s making me sick!” he gritted his teeth.

Sehun calmly placed his chopsticks on the side of his plate and forced a smile to him. “I’m sorry brotha but I can’t do that. Pigs will fly first before I lay an eye off her.”

Kai slammed his chopsticks on the plate leaving a crack and stood to spring at him. Kris however swiftly pushed him back down to his chair. “Stop it Jongin! You’re being unreasonable!”

“Uwaaaa~ Are you trying to be a hero so he can build you up to Sunmi. Bravo hyung!” Kai slowly clapped his hands.

“I’m not! I don’t need anybody’s help coz I can get her on my own!” Kris growled and the rest of them whimpered. DO who is just beside him tried to pull him down but he shoved his arm away. Suho watched them with his elbows on the table and clasped hands on his chin.

Kai stood back up. “Really? You have to do better coz I’m not going easy on you!” he hissed.

Sehun pushed his chair back and walked away. “Leave me out of this! Tch!”

“Sehun-ah…” Luhan stood as well and followed him. Baekyun and Chanyeol slumped in their seats and pinched their eyebrows.

Suho lowered his elbows and crossed his arms on the table.“Hyung! Jongin! Can’t you at least settle this? You guys have been friends for a long time now, even longer than any of us in here. Heck you can even pass as brothers!” he yelled and the rivals softened. “I know how much you like Sunmi and would even kill to have her but friendship is suppose to be stronger and it lasts longer! Think about it!”

Kai remembered what she once told him: “…I’ll make sure I won’t lose them. I will do everything I can to keep them…” His shoulders dropped and heaved a sigh. He and Kris has been friends for a lifetime and he can’t let it go to waste.

“Hyung, I’m sorry but I can’t give up on her. She’s the reason I breathe.” he muttered and stooped his head. “But I can’t lose you as well. You’re the reason why I’m here hyung!”

Kris walked towards Kai and held his shoulders. “Dude, same goes for me. I want her so bad and it’s killing me, but just do what you gotta do, okay? I’ll always be beside you until the very end.” he then reached a hand in front of him. “May the best man win?”

Kai took his hand and shook it. “Good luck to us both…” and they gave each a bro hug.

Chanyeol stood between them and placed his arms on each of their shoulders. “Aigooo~ I am more than happy to be part of EXO. So damn proud of you guys!” and they smiled.

“Well at least now you can both gang up on maknae… Kekeke~” DO snickered.

“What was that?” Sehun came back to the table and hurled a strawberry on DO’s head. “OW!!! ‘Twas nothing! Aish!” he hissed.

The maknae walked towards Kris and Kai, and pushed Chanyeol aside. He then placed his arms on their shoulders. “I see that you’re okay now and ready for battle…”

“Mhmmm! And you’re going down!” Kris warned while Kai snorted.

“HA! HA! Sorry to disappoint you bro but even if one of you ends up marrying my girl, I will still be there getting mushy and lovey dovey all over her.” he giggled.

“MWOH! WHAT THE ???” EXO became united in protest.

“Woah… Chill…” Sehun straightened up while his arms dangled in Kris and Kai’s shoulder. “Seriously, there's no one better than any of you who can have Sunmi… Please, I beg you! Take care of her more than yourself and love her more than you can… COZ I WILL ING GET HER BACK IF YOU DON’T!!!”

Then they tenderly hugged the maknae. “I will, bro!” Kris whispered. “I promise!” Kai added.

Sehun looked up to prevent his tears and blinked a couple of times. DO looked away to wipe a tear while Suho and Baekhyun pretended to rub their eyebrows to cover their faces. The three broke apart and Sehun slipped his hands in his pocket to grab his keys. “Oh! I forgot something in my car. I’ll be back!” he stuttered and strode out.

As soon as the door closed, Sehun fell on his knees. His shoulders and head dropped, one hand formed into a ball on his thigh while the other gripped his shirt in front of his chest. Tears came pouring down like a waterfall. It never stopped, it won’t stop. ‘You brought this to yourself! You ing knew this will happen! IDIOT!!!’

Sehun wept even more and couldn’t bring himself to stop. He stooped lower until his forehead reached the floor. His tears directly plunged into the cold cemented surface. His fist pounded the ground in hopes to relieve the weight off his chest.

Suho can no longer bear hearing his sobs from behind the door so he stepped out. He kneeled beside Sehun and clutched his shoulders. “Sehun-ah, I don’t have the words to make you feel better but I want you to know, I’m here.”

“Hyung, it hurts so much… I just gave her away like a Christmas present! I’m tormented, I’m crushed…” he wept as his chest burned.

“Aigooo Sehun-ah… If I can just make everything fall where it should be, I would. But please be strong! Do it for Sunmi!”

He cried a little less and kneeled back up upon hearing her name. “I know as long as she’s happy, I can get through this. It just hurts seeing one of them with her, not because he is perfect for her, or he makes her smile, or he is what she needs, but because she's my best friend.”

Suho felt his pain and he himself is being tortured. He couldn’t be more proud of their maknae seeing how he lives through the day by being with the girl he couldn’t even have for himself. “Sehun-ah, I want you to be with her right now. You need her as much as she needs you. GO!”

Sehun took a deep breath and heaved a huge air. Suho helped him up while gripping on his keys then watched him stagger to his car. “Keep breathing bro… Do it for her!” he whispered.