Serenity

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

It’s the day after the dreadful storm. And as they say it, after the dark and cold night comes a brighter dawn. GD accompanied you and Sungmin to Incheon, your birthplace and where your parents were buried. You stayed in your grandparent’s hanok (traditional house) which miraculously stood after all these years. They already passed as well but some distant relative took care of it.

You were awakened by the warm sunshine that seeped through the tiled roof. You stretched your arms out while your nostrils sniffed the cool and fresh air. Sungmin sprawled next to you having one leg over GD’s thigh on the other side. Even if you all cramped in a small room and slept on the floor, having the boys by your side is comforting enough.

“Oppa… Sungmin-ah… Wake up!” you then started shaking them.

GD’s eyes fluttered open while Sungmin moved to your side and scooted closer to you. You his hair and bent your head down to kiss his forehead.

“Good morning!” GD croaked.

“Morning oppa… I think dongsaeng is hibernating…” you chuckled.

GD rose as well and peeked at the little boy. “Just let him sleep. He probably got tired during the trip last night… How are you, by the way?”

“I’m okay…” but truthfully you’re not. The aftermath is still shaking your insides and you have no idea when it will disappear.

“Why don’t we make breakfast first then we’ll just wake little brother once it’s done.”

“Okay!”

You both tiptoed out of the room to prepare a simple meal. Minutes later, you woke Sungmin and ate altogether.

“Sungmin-ah, we’re gonna see umma and appa later. Are you excited?” you asked while feeding him.

“Jeungmal?” and you nodded. “YESSS!” he squealed.

Sungmin already knows about what happened to your parents. It took you a lot of explaining about a person’s death especially when it involves a loved one to a young boy . But however saddening it is, he later understood and accepted it.

The three of you left after breakfast and after driving for twenty minutes, GD stopped in front of a burial ground. God breathed a cold and melancholic atmosphere. The wind was eerie, flowers were frail, birds chirping a lonely music and trees drooped their leafy shades.

You held your brother’s hand as you walk the dirt path while clutching two bouquets of white roses on your chest.

“We’re here…” you then stopped in front of two tombstones.

The three of you bowed and placed the roses in each of them.

“Umma! Appa! Annyeong haseyo!” Sungmin bowed again and hugged each of the marbled markers while you and GD remained standing behind him.

He sat crossed leg in front of your mom and started complaining. “Umma, do you know that noona has been crying a lot lately? I told her to stop watching those sad movies but she’s not listening. She’s stubborn. Hmpft!” he then looked back to stick a tongue out on you and continued talking. “Oh! I got 7 hyungs as well. Noona doesn’t have to carry me home every time I fall asleep anymore. They walk me to school and help me with homework as well. They also brought us to Tali… Wait…Noona, what was that again?” he turned again.

“Bali!” you said. “Right! And I had so much fun! I love all of them, y’know. I just hope they won’t grow tired of me and noona.” and you suddenly cried. ‘Oh crap! When will these tears ever gonna stop? I’m such a loser!’ you thought and wiped your eyes. GD placed an arm around your shoulder and rubbed your arm after.

“Well, I don’t think I have to tell you everything about what’s happening since you’re watching us from heaven anyway.” Sungmin giggled while covering his mouth. “But I still want you to know that I love Teddy hyung, Jiyong hyung, EXO hyungs and most especially noona. I will take care of her until she grows old. Promise! Cross my heart! Hope my toenails die!” and you suddenly laughed while crying. ‘This boy is making me crazy…’

You then kneeled beside Sungmin in front of your dad and touched their tombstones. "Appa, umma, I'm not as strong and wise as you are but your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever. Give me strength and courage to continue living for Sungmin." you then stooped your head as you let the tears fall. "Be happy where ever you are and please watch over us. Saranghae..."

Sungmin and GD hugged you after. “Noona, stop crying… We will just have to stay together just like we always do.”

The three of you spent the entire morning playing around and having picnic with your parents. You suddenly forgot about everything that has happened. The pain and sorrow vanished making you feel light from the burden on your shoulders. Your mind finally got the peace that you’ve been dreaming and wished to remain that way until the end of time.

----------

Back in Seoul, the boys couldn’t sleep a wink from thinking about Sunmi’s sudden disappearance. Teddy avoided them since she asked him not to tell where she went or what happened.

They gathered in Baekhyun’s pad and talked over lunch. “What about Jiyong hyung? He might know where she is?” Suho blurted.

“I don’t know where to find him. We only met him once, right?” Sehun replied.

“This is driving me crazy! this!” Kai then dropped his chopsticks and slumped on his seat.

“Why don’t you tell that to your dad. Tch!” Sehun scoffed making Kai glare at him. “Maybe I should!”

“Woah… Guys, guys! Easy! It won’t help if you let your emotions run wild. Geez!” DO scolded and they both rolled their eyes away from each other.

They became silent once again trying to wrack their brains on how to find the girl they all grew attached to.

“Aish! Mollah!” DO gave up.

“Why don’t we just wait until Monday. I’m pretty sure she’ll be at school. She never skips classes right?” Chanyeol suggested.

“She did skip when she got injured, remember?” DO added.

“That was different. Sunmi isn’t the type of student who would skip class unless if it’s a matter of life and death.” Chanyeol retaliated.

“What if it’s indeed a life and death situation?” Baekhyun interrupted.

“Yah! Stop being paranoid!” Suho snarled.

Kris has his elbows on top of the table while resting his chin on it. “I guess we’ll just have to wait until Monday. If she still doesn’t show up, I will look for her myself and I don’t give a damn even if I have to go through the pits of hell!”

‘Dude, don’t be too obvious!’ Sehun thought and smirked.

“Sehun-ah, can you try calling her again?” Baekhyun said and he followed.

He took his phone and dialed Sunmi’s number.

Sungmin was sitting on the ground leaning against your dad’s tombstone when he felt your phone buzzing while GD chased you for a tickle war . “Woooo~” his eyes sparkled while watching it flicker as well. He accidentally tapped the screen and activated the loudspeaker. “Eh? What happened? Why did it stopped moving?” he said.

Sehun stood from his chair when he heard Sungmin’s voice. “Sungmin-ah!” he yelled and the boys were stunned. “Talk to him ppalli!” Kai nudged him.

“Sungmin-ah!” he yelled again. *N-Nugusaeyo?* he got scared upon hearing it talk.

“It’s Sehun hyung!” and he suddenly heard Sunmi laughing in the background. “Sungmin-ah, where are you? Let me talk to your noona!” *Ehhh?* the poor boy just scratched his nape and you suddenly saw him staring at your phone. “Yah! What are you doing over there!” you yelled.

Sehun suddenly came back to life after hearing you. “Sunmi!!!” while the rest of them looked at him anxiously.

“Sungmin-ah, listen to hyung, okay? Give noona’s phone to her so we can talk. Can you do that for me?” *Noona! Your phone wants to talk to you!*

Then the line went dead. “Yawbosehyo? Sungmin-ah! Hellooo??? YAH!!!” Sehun yelled but to no use.

He then gripped his phone almost breaking it to pieces. THIS !”

--------

“Are you really not gonna talk to them?” GD asked after you disconnected the call.

“Not now oppa. Just let me enjoy this moment without distractions. Please?” you pleaded.

“Fine!” he sighed.