First Day High

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

It’s Monday, first day of school and you were awakened by the alarm. Your hand crept out of the blanket to turn it off and heard cracking sounds after stretching out. ‘Ahhh~ That felt so good!’ Sungmin was still asleep so you tiptoed your way to the bathroom.

You changed into your school uniform which consists of a jacket, tie, a collared white shirt with sleeves, and pleated skirt pairing it with a white knee-high socks and black chucks. Before going out to prepare breakfast, you walked to the other side of the bed.

“Sungmin-ah, wake up and be ready for school.” and his eyes slowly opened. “Come right out once you’re done so we can eat. Okay?”

“N-Neh…” he croaked.

The apartment is not the most extravagant since it is a part of an old building where any average family can only afford. It includes a living room, kitchen with tables and chairs, and a bedroom with bathroom. A small space but still maintains a warm and cozy vibe.

Sungmin came out looking dapper in his own uniform. You handed him his plate and started to eat afterwards.

“By the way, I already placed a lunchbox in your backpack. Finish it all, araseo?” you told him.

“Neh! Komawo! What about you?”

“I have one as well. The food in the cafeteria is so expensive. I bet it doesn’t even taste good.” you chuckled.

“I think so too... Noona is still the best cook in the world!” Sungmin beamed and you ruffled his hair.

You both walked to school while holding your brother’s hand. He was all smiles as he was excited to take on another level while you started to pray that senior year will be a clean streak.

Although your school is one of the most prestigious in the whole country, bullying and social prejudice exists. You had your fair share of it but you chose to it all in since no one will defend you anyway or worse, expulsion.

You’re just happy that Sungmin does not experience it. Probably because they are kids and they don’t have restrictions when choosing friends.

Both of you stopped in front of his classroom being met by a small group of boys.

“Annyeong haseyo Sunmi noona!” they greeted.

“Hey guys. Have a fun day and stay out of trouble. Araseo?” you warned them and they all agreed. “Sungmin-ah, I’ll see you after school.”

“Neh!” you then pushed all of them into their classroom and walked to the other side of the campus.

SM High is a school for rich kids. Unlike any normal institutions, it has a state of the art facilities and very good level of teaching. Graduating under its name can land you a high paying job in a well known company. It was truly fortunate that your parents managed to secure your education before they passed away.

-----------

The door was kicked wide open when Kai failed, or more likely refused to hear his alarm. He spent the entire night partying with Kris and the rest of EXO even if it was a Sunday. His dad came and shook him viciously as he is already late for school.

“Yah! Kim Jongin! Wake up!” he yelled but Kai remained sprawling on top of his majestic bed. “Oh so you wanna play tough huh?” his dad smirked and grabbed a bowl full of cold icy water from a maid. He splashed the water on Kai’s face knocking him wide awake.

“APPA!!!” he hissed.

“I won’t play nice anymore. You’ve done far too much trouble already. This is your last chance to straighten up or I will send you to the army!” his dad then stormed out of his room.

Kai rubbed his forehead from a splitting headache after a killer hangover struck him. He forced himself out of bed to shower and change.

Aside from puffy eyes hidden under a pair of Rayban Wayfarers, Kai still looked dashing and heavenly in his uniform. He and Kris might just turn the entire school into a fashion show.

They walked alongside the principal as he was about to introduce them to their new class. All the students they passed moved out of their classrooms to watch them glide along the corridor. They were like gods who descended from the heavens with a strong charismatic aura. Every girl drooled while every boy was left dumbfounded.

------------

You are busy taking down notes from your book when the principal came in followed by two boys. He whispered something to the teacher and the room is suddenly filled with murmurs. “Guys listen up! Please welcome Kim Jongin and Wu Fan. They transferred here and will be joining your class starting today. Be nice to them araseo?”

“NEH!!!” the girls happily obliged. ‘They look familiar. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them before…’ you wracked your brain but eventually ignored the thought. ‘Prolly not!’

“Just call me Kai!” he waved and flashed a smile. “I’m Kris!” his lips after making the girls giggle.

‘Soooo typical…’ You rolled your eyes and went back scribbling on your notebook.

Amazingly, both of them ended up sitting on each side of you hardly noticing your presence. They slumped on their chair and fell asleep right away after the teacher continued with the lecture.

The bell rang for lunch and you hurriedly walked out of the room to your secret spot.

‘She looks familiar. I swear I’ve seen her somewhere…' Kai thought as you passed him. ‘Naahhh! I was drunk anyway…’

Kai and Kris met with the rest of EXO in a cafeteria filled with squealing girls after rumors spread about the new hot boys.

“Can we go someplace else? These girls are annoying!” Kai scoffed.

“Let’s go to the lounge then!” Suho blurted and they all left.

You’ve been eating lunch all alone since freshmen when you accidentally found this quiet and peaceful place, an indoor pool with tables and chairs on the side for anyone who wants to go on a few laps. No one in SMH is a varsity swimmer and neither can you swim as well but the tranquility it offers is a giveaway. If time permitted, you would sometimes scan through your books or even dip your feet in the water and play around.

The bell rang once again marking your return to the classroom. You sat on your usual spot and got ready for the teacher to start talking. Kai and Kris suddenly came in and sat as well.

The entire afternoon was about Literature taking on Iliad and Odyssey. Kris was getting bored in his seat while Kai kept on glancing at you. He couldn’t stop thinking about where he had met you and it never left his mind.

You started to get bothered by the way he stared so you faced him. “Excuse me? Do you need anything?” you asked with a soft voice.

“NO! Do I look like I need anything from someone like you?” he smirked and your jaw dropped at his spiteful words.

‘!’ Despite the urge to fight back, you closed your eyes, took a deep breath and letting all the air out puffing your checks. Then focusing your attention to the teacher instead until the class finished.

You placed your stuff back to your backpack and started to leave when Kai, swiftly placed a foot in front of you before making another step. You fell flat on the floor but was able to support yourself with one hand avoiding a major faceplant. Kris shook his head at the childish act but Kai snorted.

Everyone in the room bursted out laughing as you quickly got up to fix yourself and picked up your backpack. He looked at you with a grin on his face that infuriated you even more. "Oopps!" he teased.

Your fist turned white as you clenched it while your body started to heat up. ‘Keep it together Sunmi. Calm down...’ and after heaving a sigh, you bowed to him 90-degrees and left.

But Kai is not happy at all with the way you reacted. He wanted more. He knew how angry you were just by the look in your eyes.