Comfort

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

Days passed but school didn’t go smoothly as Hyuna never stopped bullying you. EXO started to worry and got frustrated since they can’t do anything about it after you told them not to interfere.

Even if you tried to detach yourself, you still end up getting closer to them especially with Kai and Kris, making the threats more serious. You sometimes end up with bruises on your arm, sticky and smelly hair after being egged, or cuts on the leg after falling on a rocky track from being pushed.

“Goddamnit Sunmi! When will you ever learn? She will not stop unless you fight back! Or at least let us do something about it!” Suho snarled during lunch when you came in the lounge with a bloody lip once again.

“She’ll grew tired anyway…” you sound defeated while Sehun treated your cut.

Chanyeol stood and paced. “And what? We’ll just sit and watch while you get battered?”

“I’ll be okay… It’s gonna be okay…” are the words you kept on saying to them and yourself.

 “No it’s not! What happened to the girl back in the club? Huh? Once in a while, try to have the guts to fight back. You’re not committing a crime for sake!” Kai suddenly growled and DO tried to calm him down but he kept on going.

“Dude, I just don’t get it. She snapped when that dissed Jiyong hyung but can’t even touch a single hair from her when she herself gets the worst!” and his words boiled your blood instantly.

You and Sehun met eyes. He knew how hurt you are not physically but from all the pain that you’ve been hiding. Your grip tightened as you held on to his jacket while fighting the tears to fall and remained silent.

You suddenly stood with clenched fist to leave and avoid the argument.

“Don’t get ing used to walking away, it makes you even weaker and an easy prey!” Kai added.

Your tears are about to give up so you looked up to the ceiling and blew out an air but you’re fuming mad already. It’s making you dizzy, weak in the knee, and worse, draining every bit of your energy. ‘They can call me anything they like but I’m doing this for Sungmin.’

You turned and faced them. “All I’m trying to do is survive and make good of what I have. Walking away as you call it, is the best way I know how…” and walked out.

Kai flipped the table full of plates and utensils while Kris ran after you.

You sat in a dim corner by the end of the hall with knees drawn to the chest. You then hugged your legs and sunk your face in it.

Kris came and sat beside you. “I know you’re not okay but I’ll ask it anyway… Gwenchana?” and you raised your head after hearing his voice.

“I’m fine… I’m always fine…” you forced a smile to him.

“I don’t think so. You’re just trying to convince yourself that you are.” he smirked and noticed you leaning your head against the wall while staring blankly up above.

“Here… This is better!” he then patted his shoulder.

Kris had his legs unbent and leaning against the wall while you scooted closer to him. You bent your knees on the side as it rested on his thigh and having your head on his chest.

He placed an arm around your shoulder, leaning his cheek at the top of your head. The comfort he provided you is enough but for him, it’s more. ‘Now I know why my life is worth living…’

Both of you just remained quiet. Silence gave you peace and serenity but you had to break it off once in a while. “Thanks!” you said.

“For what?”

You then looked up to meet his gaze. “For being here… For always carrying me every time I fall…”

“Don’t mention it!” ‘Besides, I can’t just let the only person who completes me get hurt, right?’

Kris suddenly cleared his throat. “Do you know Mushu, the dragon in Mulan?”

“You mean her pet lizard?” and he looked down on you. “Yah! He’s a dragon and he’s not her pet. Aish!”

“Whatever! So what about him?”

“He was super tiny for a dragon right?” Kris scribbled random letters on your hand while he tells the story.

“Mhmmm… And?”

“Mushu never hesitated to help Mulan despite his size. He endured explosions, being stomped on, and even an avalanche. He proved everyone wrong and fought for Mulan by making good of what he’s got!”

“So you’re telling me to be like him?”

“Why not? If a lizard can… I mean a tiny dragon, then so can you!” you smiled and Kris finished up with a kiss on the side of your head.

You thought hard of what Kris said. 'Maybe I should...'

“We should head back to the lounge, they might be worried already…” and helped you up.

On your way back though, Kai approached you.

“I think I should leave you two…” Kris whispered and walked ahead, patting Kai’s shoulder along the way.

He stood in front of you while stooping his head with hands inside his pockets.

You moved closer and tilted your head to see his eyes. “Are you okay?”

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking you that?” he asked.

“Of course I’m okay, dummy! Tch!”

“I’m sorry about that I said…”

You then lifted his face with both hands. “Yah! Are you that sinful to keep on apologizing for the things that you haven’t even done?”

He froze once again when he realized you just held his face plus you’re now inches away from each other. The butterflies in his stomach started to fly and a feeling of trance started to take over as well.

Kai slowly raised his arms and held you wrist. He removed your hand from his face, placing it around his back. He closed the gap between you and hugged tightly.

“A lot of times, I say the stupidest things but sometimes, it’s just hard to find words to make you feel better.”

“Just be here… Having you around is enough already…” you whispered while hugging him back.

‘I’ll be here for you, Sunmi! Until whenever…’