Fate Play

The Mute Queen

 

“Aaaarrrrrrrrrgh.........!!!!!!” he screamed out of loud at Sohonbu’s torture place (Sohonbu : Office of the inspector general) when two guards repeated to pull the wooden poles between his shins all over again. A general punishment which was  a technique that could break the bones if it lasted too long. Heechul hated screaming. He always said showing pain could cause more wrinkles on his face. But this time was unbearable since it’s been two hours already. He nearly bit his tongue but no.... He didn’t want to show his blood in front of the magistrate in front of him.

 

“I ask you again Kim Heechul. Did you admit for cheating by threatening a nobleman to make your team to be included on competition?” The magistrate asked.

 

“I already said NO, right? Are you a deaf?” Heechul still managed to glare at him. Sweat had never tired flowing all over his body.

 

The magistrate scoffed and felt humiliated for the nth time “How rude!! You really never change even with this condition. You supposed to get only level 1 with hit punishment but thanks to your cursed mouth you get level 3”

 

Heechul smirked “Should I be happy then?”

 

“Just admit it so I can go back enjoying my food again” he spoke curtly.

 

“Why I have to admit of commiting a crime that I didn’t?”

 

The magistrate quickly approached his punishment chair. He glared at Heechul “A crime you didn’t? Then is it a miracle for a disgusting Yeojang like you could pass this holy competition and reached Top five without breathing?”

 

Heechul chuckled again “Thanks for the compliment”

 

His body shook because of anger “Answer me seriously Kim Heechul!!!!” He shouted at him. Heechul closed his eyes for a second. He nearly said “Thanks for the local rain” but he knew if he stired the magistrate’s anger any longer, he would increased his torture to a higher level.

 

“Or should I call you Lady Heehee to make your vamping personality rise up? You must be seducing a royal family and threaten him to make your team won the competition then you will insert some spies in the palace and steal Jonseong’s informations for Jung Yunho The Rebel”

 

Heechul scoffed “Spy? You don’t have prove! Is this really Sohonbu?”

 

The magistrate couldn’t hold himself and hit Heechul’s face hard “I told you to watch your mouth, didn’t I? We do have report. From a trustful person. She wouldn’t lie” The magistrate got closer then carresed his bruised cheek “It really pain me to hurt this beautiful face honestly” he whispered with a different tone from before. He eyed Heechul “The last time we met, you shouldn’t have reject me Hee-ah...”

 

Heechul seemed unwilling to look at his eyes “She? Don’t tell me the one who report me is a gisaeng” he said already had a name in his mind.

 

The magistrade chuckled “That’s none of your business. It’s our task to protect a witness”

 

Heechul glanced back at him “What did she give you? Her body?”

 

The magistrate took a step backward and laughed “Hahahaha..... Do you think you’re tied here because I have a grudge toward you? No...no..no... dear Heehee. We have enough proves. Royal dance competition is not easy for an abomination like you to enter but you could pass it so easily. It’s only a person from royal family level who could do that and make all the judges approved your team who violated gisaeng rules. And the rumour of you become a part of rebel society make it PERFECT!!!” He grinned with satisfaction.

 

Heechul scoffed “That doesn’t make sense. You don’t have any physical prove!!”

 

He let out a sly smile “We don’t need it if you admit your crime.... I know how precious your legs are. You can’t be a gisaeng with a broken legs. Guards!!” he commanded his subordinates to continue the torture.

 

“Urg.....Ungggghhhhhh...hmmm...hhhh...h........” He tried his hard to not show the pain expression the magistrate wanted to see so he bit his lip until it nearly bleed.

 

The magistrate grabbed his cloth and pulled Heechul close “Why are you so persistent, Kim Heechul? Just give up and beg me.....khehehehe...”

 

Heechul opened his eyes and laughed with the little left energy he had “Hahahaha.... and have you get in my ?”

 

The magistrate shook his head and giggled “No...no...no... Heechul. I am not interested in you this time. Since you violated gisaeng rules, I heard there were a lot of gisaengs in your house. Just give me one. That Jiyeon girl is pretty cute, isn’t she?”

 

Flare soon raised up from Heechul’s eyes. He couldn’t stand it anymore as he spat on the magistrate’s face “In your ing dream, you Junjin BASTARD!!!!!!”

 

The magistrate slapped him hard “How dare you a lowly life call my name?!!! GUARDS!!! Start it again! Pull it HARDER !!!!!!!”

 

“Arrrgh......Arrrrrrrgggghhh....hhhhhggggggg!!!!!” he couldn’t help to not scream in pain. He didn’t want to pass out but his body couldn’t listen as his eyesight became fully black.

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

Back to the future time

 

“Aaaaaarrrrgh!!!!!” 

 

“Hyung!!! Calm down!! It’s me Donghae” a pair of hands hold his shoulder firmly. It needed some minutes for him to adapt his surrounding. His mind was still in Jonseong period, so the sight of a white room with people with modern clothes around him made Heechul feeling confused for a moment and felt a sudden headache.

 

“Where is this?” he held his temple, body was covered with cold sweat.

 

“You’re in a hospital” Jay explained. Heechul glanced at M & D members then stared at his own cloth. It’s a hospital dress.

 

“You’re unconcious for two weeks Hyung. Thanks God you’re awake...” Donghae sniffed and wiped some tears that came from his eyes.

 

“Two weeks? What happened?” Heechul looked more curious.

 

“People found you fainted at the skating arena” Jungmo said beside him.

 

Then a memory of him with Sungmin at the skating arena flashed in his mind “Sungmin? Where’s Sungmin? There was an earthquake. Earthquake!!!”

 

The other M & D members eyed him with confused look “What do you mean? There’s no earthquake in Seoul two weeks ago” Jay said.

 

“What? There was an earthquake, I am sure. The building was shaking. Where’s Sungmin? Is he okay? Is he hurted? Where is his room?” Heechul tried to get up from his bed but Donghae prevented him.

 

Donghae was silent for a moment but stared at Heechul “Let go of your hands, Donghae” His tone was plain but everyone knew Heechul was serious. Donghae glanced at Jay and the other nodded his head toward him. He sighed then glanced back at Heechul.

 

“He left Hyung. We can’t see him anymore....”

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

Meanwhile, the said man was searching something in a private library. He had been searching from more than a half from it’s book shelfs, but he still didn’t get what he wanted. He thought they would have some records about King Cho’s era since there were a lot of rare books in this place which any other libraries wouldn’t have and of course the one who owned this place was King Cho’s descendant after all. But he spent the whole day with no result.

 

“You should tell me what you’re looking for instead of searching it blindly in this huge library” He got startled as he heard an unwanted voice from the doorway. Sungmin glanced at him with stern expression. But the person just giggled at him “Look at the mess you did. Mrs. Kim exactly will cry again because of your doing”

 

“She doesn’t have right to complain. She is paid for work” Sungmin answered coldly.

 

Kyuhyun walked forward and pretended to be surprised “Wow! Seems like you have been adjusted well in this house. Three servant had quited in a week because of stress thanks to you, Minnie”

 

Sungmin slammed a book in his hands to the table before him then glared at Kyuhyun “I told you to stop call me that name, didn’t I?”

 

He knitted his eyebrows “Why? It suits your behavior after all. Being chicky. And don’t pretend you don’t like it. I know you do” He smirked as he finally stood a feet distance toward the shorter male.

 

“Or... don’t tell me there’s already a person who calls you that name” He added.

 

Sungmin’s expression became tensed all of a sudden “That...That’s none of your business. Mind to leave me alone? I— I am busy”

 

“I am telling you that you can’t find anything you’re looking for here. It’s not recorded even in Annals of The Jonseong Dinasty1

 

Sungmin scoffed in a mocking tone “As if you know what I am looking for” he commented as he turned his back and tried to continue his searching.

 

“A fake Gisaeng of Jonseong...” Sungmin frozed for a moment then turned around “How...how do you—“

 

“You won’t find about him in any book except of his poetries and gayageum which were in Jonseong Palace Museum” Kyuhyun continued.

 

He paused for a moment of eyeing at the shocking Sungmin in front of him “You wonder why I know Lady Heehee is a man and not a real gisaeng, don’t you? King Cho was too nice. He errased all of black records about him. Including the hidden truth about that fake gisaeng with Queen Min”

 

“How...How do you know?” Kyuhyun took a step forward made Sungmin took a step backward until his back touched a bookshelf.

 

“It’s because I remember more than what you have remembered. I asked you to not meet that vocalist for this reason too. That Kim Heechul will only bring a bad luck for you Sungmin. Just like how that gisaeng bringing a missfortune for Queen Min”

 

Sungmin gulped, trying to gather himself to cool down from the close distance “You...you’re lying. You maybe know Jonseong history better than me but you can’t predict what will happen in the future. I am the present Lee Sungmin. Not Queen Min. We’re different. I—I ...I don’t like you...”

 

Kyuhyun smirked again “Hmmm... Really?” Kyuhyun held Sungmin’s left hand and carressed his wrist “What—what are you doing? Let it go!!” Sungmin tried to pull his hand but Kyuhyun’s grip was too strong.

 

Soon the taller male chuckled “Don’t like me? But your heartbeats tell me otherwise” He said as he got closer until his mouth was near Sungmin’s ear.

 

He amusely whispered to him “I am sure there is still Queen Min deep inside you. You’re not different with her. You do like me” He moved their hand to Sungmin’s chest then continue to whisper “Dugeun....dugeun....duguen....dugeun....!!!!” he said it repeatly made Sungmin pushed him then raised his free hand to punch the taller male’s face.

 

But luckily, the taller male managed to repent his punch by grabbing Sungmin’s other hand “Okay, I am sorry. Seems like I am playing too much. You still remember our deal, right?” He said as he started to loosen up his grip from Sungmin then retreated and took a step backward.

 

He let out a long sigh then glanced at Sungmin with serious expression “I am warning you. Don’t ever try to meet Kim Heechul again”

 

“What do you know? You said you remembered Jonseong’s memories more than me”

 

Kyuhyun became silent for a moment then said “In history book, it said Queen Min died because of severe illness, right? But the truth is..... she got punished by drinking a poison and guess who the person who lead her to that tragic dead?”

 

Sungmin’s eyes became wide. Fear was drawed faintly on his face.

 

“It’s that gisaeng”

 

Sungmin shook his head “No. You’re lying. You are making up things”

 

“That’s your choice to believe or not. I just warn you” He said before he left the room.

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

(ring....ring....ring...)

 

 

His phone rang when he was walking down the stairs. He got a text from Seohyun and it made him smiled genuinely while reading the text.

 

From :

Seohyun

 

Hello Youngmaster!! How are you? (≧∇≦)/. We haven’t met for a while. It will be so embarassing if I tell you I miss you, right? (๑‵●‿●‵๑).   I’ve been learning cooking recently, mind to become the first tester? ヽ(^Д^)ノ’

 

His expression changed after reading the text. He started typing ‘I am sorry. I have been bus—“ but got stopped when his assistant appeared in front of him with a guy.

 

“Sir, I bring the new bodyguard” He said before both of them bowed to greet him.

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened for a second when he saw the new guy as he recognized him “Nice to meet you Sir, My name is Andrew Choi” the guy said with well manner.

 

Kyuhyun looked at his assistant “Are you sure he’s better than the guy before, hyung?”

 

Kangin nodded “Yes, he mastered black taekwondo well. His response is quick too. He passed our test easily”

 

Kyuhyun glanced at Andrew “Okay then. You have learned about the person you will guard, right?”

 

“Yes, Sir”

 

“Be careful, he maybe looked feminine but don’t let it trick you. He mastered martial arts. The previous guard was knocked down in seconds” Kyuhyun warned calmly. Andrew’s face expressed a mix between unbelieve and  confuse but he still nodded after all.

 

“Sir, I just get report from front gate security that a guy who claimed himself as Mr. Sungmin’s dormmate want to meet him”

 

“I told you if he’s in the black list, just shoo him”

 

“But.... he is not in the black list. Our security said he introduce his name as SM Upcoming Rising Star Jewel Guy Eunhyuk-nim?” Kangin bit his lower lip to prevent his laughter.

 

“Ah, Yes” Kyuhyun nodded “I do exclude him from the black list. I have my reason. But it’s not the right time to meet him now. Just shoo him immediately. But warn our security to not use violence on him if they want to live longer”

 

Kangin’s eyes widened “Is...is he that strong?”

 

Kyuhyun chukled and shook his head “No. If the person on library know they hurt that guy even a single strand of his hair, he will make sure even an insurance company could not save their life” he said before walked toward the front door.

 

“Sir, where are you going? We have meeting with your father” Kangin reminded him.

 

Kyuhyun raised his hand without turning back “I will be back in two hours!”

 

As he left, Andrew glanced at Kangin, looked nervous “Is... is my new master that scary?”

 

Kangin smiled and patted his back “As long as you don’t make him piss up. And don’t talk to him when he’s done talking with Youngmaster Cho. It  means he is in a bad mood. Looks like both of them just talked in library, so introduce yourself after three hours” he said as he looked at his watch.

 

“What happened when the last time he’s in a bad mood?”

 

Kangin sighed, for a second he stared at Andrew with a pity “Three maid were crying, two of them just handed their resignation yesterday. And one bodyguard has fractured hand”

 

Andrew just speechless.

 

“But don’t worry! For the upcoming interview for the new maids will have a psychological test. Lee’s family will also send their maids too. I have to meet our butler now. You know your room, right?”

 

“Ye...Yes”

 

“Hey, I said don’t worry, right?” kangin chuckled and patted his shoulder again then left him.

 

Andrew stared at upstairs, (not) very anticipating to meet his new master “Luc...lucky me?” he asked him self half praying.

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

“Do you think he will come, Taeyeon?” Seohyun asked her bestfriend to come to her house and help her to judge her cook before Kyuhyun tasted it.

 

“I am sure. One of the maid there is my friend and she just said the youngmaster just left the house without his assistant nor his bodyguards. It means he will meet you” Taeyeon tried to lessen her friend’s worry.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, try this!” Seohyun gave her the kimchi she just made. Taeyeon tasted it and she made a grimaced expression.

 

“Is it that bad? Taeyeon-ah.... what to do... the text has already sent to him!!!” Seohyun panicked.

 

Then Taeyeon’s expression changed as she bursted out with laughters “Hahaha.... No. It’s delicious, really!”

 

“Taeyeon!!!” she whined.

 

“Hahahaha... looks like you have fallen on him all over again” Taeyeon commented making the younger’s face became red in an instant.

 

“You must be so happy that the person we all thought will be Quixian...oh I mean Kyuhyun’s future wife is actually a man. There won’t be a royal wedding between the two family since Lee’s family doesn’t have a daughter”

 

Seohyun nodded shyly “Yes”

 

“But I still can’t believe the descendant of Queen Min’s clan is actually a bully from SMArt School. You know all students that graduated from SM elite class are studying royal protocols to serve royal family once this country become constitutional monarchy. He’s from general class. What is actually Lee’s family doing when their son who soon will become this country’s royal prince has skipped his class many times because of playing too much?”

 

Seohyun held her hand “Taeyeon, you can’t say those things when you’re in public” she said with concern.

 

“Why? It’s not that someone will kill me tonight. It’s modern days, Hyun-ah. Not Jonseong period” she said bluntly.

 

“But it will become one soon. We’re talking about Lee family now. Queen Min’s descendant” Seohyun warned. There’s a hint of fear from Seohyun’s eyes.

 

Taeyeon chuckled “Why become so serious? The present generation is different from Jonseong generation. There’s a lot of people with family’s name Lee in Korea now. You can’t say they are pure descendant of royal Lee clan”

 

“They are pure”

 

“How are you this sure?”

 

“My mother told me. You know she is Madam Inhyun’s secretary, right? She once told my mother that the Lee family we’re talking was Mawang Lee clan. A clan who bear a symbol of dragon. Beside royal family, only wedding between Mawang Lee clan is allowed”

 

Taeyeon nodded “Ah is that so? Fine then. He maybe deserved to become a prince of this country beside Kyuhyun but I still don’t see the point why you look scared like that. What I heard he is not that scary. Some students of elite class who have ever seen him once or two said he’s kinda cute. I am not sure though” she shrugged.

 

Seohyun sighed “I did meet him in SM building once. He’s not the one who we will be scared about but his family. Name Mawang literaly means dragon. But if you separate the syllable ‘Ma’ and ‘Wang’ then write it with Jonseong’s letter, it could be means king of darkness. Lucifer...”

 

Taeyeon frozed. Her expression became tensed as she heard the last sentence. She quickly regretted what she had said earlier in her mind and also felt thankful Seohyun told this before hand.

 

“You’re scared, aren't you?” Seohyun grinned all of a sudden. Taeyeon’s mouth hanged open then she hit her arms repeatly.

 

“Aww...aww! It’s hurt !!!” She complained.

 

“What the ?!!! I thought you tell me the truth. So it’s a joke, huh?”

 

“No!! It’s not a joke. I am serious”

 

“Hahaha I won’t fall on it twice” Taeyeon took a slice of Kimbab Seouhyun made for Kyuhyun.

 

Seohyun sighed and crossed her arms “I told you the truth. It’s when madam Inhyun met Mrs. Lee and my mother accidentally spilled her tea. Eventhough Mrs. Lee didn’t say anything but Madam Inhyun made my mother begged for forgiveness many times even sent her a bucket of flowers twice” she tried to convince her with excessive hand gesture.

 

Taeyeon chuckled “Okay...okay I get it. But if this family is that scary and get a lot of respect from Cho’s family, but why they serve Cho family instead? If I read Jonseong history again, they could be a ruler of Jonseong by betraying royal family if they wanted”

 

Seohyun shrugged “I don’t know. Kyuhyun said history in our school book was only less than 10 percent of the whole history”

 

(door bell ringing!!!)

 

Both girls had their eyes become bigger as they heard the bell rang “It may be him!!” taeyeon said excitedly. Seohyun smiled widely then rushed toward the front door.

 

“Kyu!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

“Hyung calm down!” Donghae tried to persuade Heechul but failed (Just like usual).

 

“What do you mean there’s no Lee Sungmin lives here? I am sure two weeks ago I just picked him up from here and I can show you his funny pink curtain!!” Heechul banged the recepsionist table in front of him with his fist.

 

The dorm manager seemed taken a back with Heechul’s loud voice. But he still insisted even showed the list of dorm residents “I told you. I have been working here for five years. There’s no resident with name Lee Sungmin here!”

 

Heechul glared at him then snatched the paper from the man’s hand.

 

“Hyung come on. Just let him go. Yuri shi said she will find another PA whom faaaar better than him (which is impossible since Sungmin is the cutest) for you. IMMEDIATELY!!!” Donghae said again but the older didn’t listen (like usual).

 

He wandered his fingers through the list and it’s true that there’s no Lee Sungmin’s name here. But he still didn’t give up and successfully found something suspicious “Why there’s a little type-ex at number 15?”

 

“Um...um... it’s just misstyping. It’s Lee Jungin” The man a bit stuttered.

 

Heechul lifted up the paper to get a clearer side and scanned it with his eagle eyes from the backside “Jungin is a bit strange for a boy name. It’s look like the name is overlayed with pen and change the letter ㅅ to becomeㅈ. And also letter— “The dorm manager quickly took the paper from Heechul before he finished.

 

“Yah!! I haven’t finished reading!!!!”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous. Should I bring the real Lee Jungin in front of you so you can believe me?”

 

Heechul scoffed “Huh? You can bring any people here and pretend to be Jungin boy I won’t even know. Just give me the paper back for seconds, I just wanna see the address. The address”

 

The man hid the paper behind his back “Why I must give you such information to strangers like you?”

 

Heechul sighed then flipped his hair and smirked “Ahjushi, You don’t know M & D? We’re the recent trend!! Trend!! You know the ‘Trend’ mean, right? T-R-E-N-D?” Heechul started to pose like a rocker with metal hand and sticked his tounge (followed with Donghae).

 

The manager dorm frowned “What is M & D? Is it a ’s brand or something?”

 

Both Heechul and Donghae gasped “You sure have a boring life Old Man!!”

 

“Yes! Yes! We need to teach him our brother soul, Hyung!!” Donghae added.

 

“What the heck are you two doing here?” A person who just arrived commented from behind.

 

“Ah! Myeolchi Guy!!!” Heechul shouted at him.

 

“Monkey!!!!” Donghae jumped.

 

“hyuk!!!” The dorm manager looked shocked.

 

“What the I always get weird nickname wherever I go?? My name is Eunhyuk FOR GOD SAKE!!!!!!”

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

“Um...  who are you?” A smile soon faded from Seohyun’s lip when she discovered the man in front of her wasn’t the one she wished to come.

 

The man bowed then gave her a bucket of red roses and blue tulips along with a letter Mr. Cho asked me to give you this. He can’t come here at the moment.

 

Seohyun stared at the flower first then inhaled the fragrance. She read the small letter.

 

To:

Seohyun

 

I want to come so bad to eat your first handmade meal for me. But I am sorry. I can’t make it because I am busy (You know why, right?). Hope you like the flowers. I promise I will come to your solo concert

 

From :

Kyuhyun

 

She smiled after reading the letter but disappoinment never left her eyes “Please tell him. The apologize is accepted”

 

The man nodded, bowed his head, then excused himself to leave. Taeyeon came later “Huh, where’s him?”

 

Seohyun’s shoulder dropped “He’s not coming” she mumbled then turned to walk to her room.

 

“Yah! What will you doing?”

 

“Sleeep!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

 

“How is he doing, Kyuhyun?”

 

“He’s doing fine” Kyuhyun said to his grandfather at reading room of Cho’s family house.

 

The old man smiled, eyes still reading a book on his hand without glancing at his grandson “That’s good then. We make you two live together in that house to make both of you become closer. Have you talk about it yet?”

 

“I haven’t. I think it still too soon to talk about it. The reformation of a republic to become a monarchy need a pretty long times. Coronation of the crown prince too”

 

The old man soon closed the book and put it down  a bit loud “Kyuhyun! You know  this ritual ceremony is an urgent matter between you two” then he spoke to his grandson eyes to eyes.

 

“But I don’t want to rush things. I want this will be held based on our understanding”

 

“Madam Sohee has warned us. The spirit of that Gisaeng might be reincarnated into someone!! It’s secret ceremony after all, since it’s an unusual ceremony, we can held it anytime. Soon is better”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head “No, Grandpa. Just this time let me handle this. I have closed all his old contacts except his family. I won’t let anyone interfere this plan”

 

The old man glanced at him for seconds “Fine! I let you do what you want. Sungjong also trusts his son to you fully. But if something happen that will make this ‘bonding’ fail, royal family and Lee clan will take over with our way

 

“Yes, I understand”

 

“This is for your own sake, Kyuhyun-ah. The secret royal wedding between you and Sungmin have to be held no matter what...”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC

 

1  Annals of The Jonseong Dinasty : a true record of Jonseong dinasty which was written by professional historiographers who collected documents and wrote daily accounts that included state affairs as well as diplomatic affairs, the economy, religion, meteorological phenomena, the arts, and daily life, among other things.