First Lie

The Mute Queen

 

He walked out from the dancer's dorm, which was already empty since all attendees had gathered in front of the competition hall, all thanks to the broken compass in his brain which made him pretty much late to give his gisaengs some lesson.

 

He kept walking but again, he forgot where the entrance he had passed before “Aish, now I am lost again. What should I do...” he muttered while slipping a hand through his cloth, then scratching his backside “Ah itchy... Itchy. Where did Hyoyeon take this from? Don’t tell me this hasn’t washed for a year...”

 

He didn’t aware at all for a moment that a group of court ladies run passed him until one of them bumped her shoulder at him. She stopped and said “I am sorry!” shortly before continuing to run again. Heechul was stunned there wondering what just happening that created such a commotion.

 

“Yah, what are you doing? We have to greet his majesty. Hurry!!” Another courtlady, who thought he was just like her other fellow courtlady, pulled his hand and dragged him to join another courtladies to line up.

 

He was busy scratching his back, not knowing any etiquette as being a court lady. He was only copying the court lady beside him to bend their body while the king and his followers passed across them “Haaah...., why are they walking so slowly? I don’t want to miss the dancing competition, ” he whispered a complain. The court ladies beside him quickly warned him by muttering ‘Shhhhh’ to shut him. But  Heechul being Heechul, he never heard anything he didn’t want.

 

“You! The court lady over there”

 

All the court ladies jerked up in shock, hearing such upset tone from their king’s voice.  They raised a bit their head finding the king pointed a finger toward a certain court lady which was no other than a gisaeng turned to be a fake court lady. He didn’t have any idea at all at first until someone tugged his arm “Yah, King Cho just called you” she whispered.

 

Heechul turned to face her and pointed a finger toward himself “Me?”

 

Then he could sense a pair of legs just stood in front of him “Lift up your head” the King said. Finally, despite its too late to realize he’s in a trouble that time, he lifted up his head to face the King and he had to admit he lost his ability to control his trembling hands. He gulped between the tensed stare the King sent to him. Something inside his brain started to scare him of a possibility the king noticed his as a fake court lady.

 

“You... You’re a court lady???” The King pointed a finger at him.

 

“Yea... Yes... Phea” Heechul answered in a stuttering voice. It’s the first time he saw The King’s face in his life and he had to admit the King was quite (very) good looking. The rumor about the King’s charm through Jonseong wasn’t exaggerating at all. He wondered why he only had one concubine while the former kings had tens even hundred special gungnyeo.

 

“What’s your name?”

 

He startled a bit after being spaced out earlier “Kim... Kim Heesun, Phea” he said without stuttering this time. The King was staring deeply again as if he’s observing him “Court lady Kim. From your outfit, you’re from Jinbang, aren't you?”

 

“Yes, Phea” Heechul answered with a relief sigh since the king was sounded like believed him as a real court lady. He fully thanked to his pretty face and disguised voice.

 

“We need to talk later, ” he said boldly much to make Heechul shocked with mouth hanged open. But the King didn’t give any attention to his reaction and chose to walk away with his followers.

 

After they left, a bunch of court ladies approached Heechul with an awed look “Waaa... Seems like his majesty has gotten interested in you. I thought he’s going to be mad with your impolite manner recently”.

 

Heechul couldn’t help to not show his bad habit of being a swell – headed after getting a compliment “Well, fufufu.... It’s not my fault I am born with this look, ” he said as he caressed his own face made some court ladies gave him annoyed looks and chose to leave him.

 

“It’s been years. His Majesty had never picked a special gungnyeo after Lady Seohyun” a court lady who was standing beside him said.

 

Heechul gave her an awkward smile, “But.... Unfortunately, he’s not my type”

 

All the remained court ladies gave him confused look “What? Are you crazy? Most of court ladies here are wanting his grace to be his woman”

 

One of them sighed weakly “But... I understand. I think there’s no court lady here who can stand the Queen Min’s hatred except Lady Seohyun anyway”

 

Heechul twitched his eyebrows as the topic became interesting “Queen Min’s hatred?”

 

All of them nodded “Yes. I rather choose to die than make her have me and my family as her new target to torture. I marvel Lady Seohyun who could stand her for more than ten years, ” she said with admiration.

 

“It’s because she never gets laid by his majesty until now” someone added in a whisper.

 

“Yah, you should not talk like that. How if Queen Min’s people are around here and heard our conversation? I don’t want to end up like Sulli who got her head almost cut yesterday” Another one hit her shoulder as a warning made Heechul’s curiosity grew even more. He just knew Sulli this day and he swore while he sent her to her room he heard how Sulli’s adoring Queen Min.

 

 

“I heard she did not only handle the internal court affair, but also had a big influence in politic too... With her own way of course”

“With her violence, Sulli”

“But violence is also a political method, Sunyoung ah. There’s no any treason happened under her service”

“But I heard she abandoned her duty and handed it to Lady Seohyun  while herself spent her time lazily in her own pavilion since three years ago. I also heard from our senior sisters last night, she became mute because of the King’s curse”

“Watch your mouth, Sunyoung!”

“You’re the one who keeps blabbering nonsense”

“Yah! Yah! Can you two just stop? And you! Your name is Sulli, right? I am in a hurry now and you become heavier if you talk more”

 

 

 

“What are you talking about??!!!” Someone voiced out behind them. A senior yet first rank court lady eyed them with a glare. All of them automatically turned around and bowed down to greet her “Madam!”

 

“Stop chit – chatting here and go back to your job!!” She said firmly.

 

“Yes, Madam” They said before they left one by one.

 

“And you too. What are you waiting? Back to your department” She glanced at Heechul suspiciously “Wait, I never see you before”

 

“I...I am new here, madam, ” Heechul answered.

 

She still gave him with the same look for a moment, then said “Fine. You can leave now”

 

“Yes, ” he let out a relief sigh before bowing his head, then leave as far as he could from the court lady.

 

He came back to be the lost fake court lady again as he still couldn’t find the exit way from the palace, " I hope I won't get any troublesome incidents again" he muttered. Fortunately, on his way he bumped into a familiar person.

 

“Heechul-shi????? You don’t suppose to be here” The person eyed him in disbelief.

 

Heechul jumped on him without warning “Siwon-shi!!! Such a relief, I nearly pray to God (which I never did) if I didn’t meet you”

 

Siwon quickly removed Heechul’s hug, afraid someone else watched them “What are you doing here with....with a court lady uniform?”

 

Heechul gave him a sullen look “Long story. I get lo... No, I mean I forget the shortcut to go to Myeongjeongjeon hall. This palace is damn so big. What are you doing here anyway?”

 

“I... I’ve just delivered something. Have... Have you met her?”

 

“Her? What do you mean?”

 

Siwon quickly shook his head, realizing Queen Min’s real identity had not yet uncovered by the older man “No. Never mind”

 

“Okay. Your task here is finished, right? Now hurry, you can’t miss the dance competition today. I am sure your sister will watch too” Heechul pulled his hand to walk to a certain direction.

 

“Wait?” Siwon stopped.

 

“What?”

 

“You take a wrong direction. Don’t you see a gate there?” he pointed at a gate not so far behind Heechul.

 

Didn’t want to be plunged into embarrassment, Heechul snapped at him “Then you lead the way, Silly head!!”

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

“Where is Seohyun, Taeyeon-shi?” Madam Ook came to the concubine pavilion to meet her daughter.

 

“She’s in her room, Madam” the court lady answered.

 

“Mother!!!” Lady Seohyun quickly dashed toward her mother once she heard her voice then hugged her.

 

“Bless for Heaven, my pregnant daughter is getting and getting prettier everyday” She praised her while patting her back.

 

“Mother. I will tell his Majesty to allow you to live with me here. I am sure he will agree with that”

 

Madam Ook released the hug and shook her head “No. I still want to serve Queen Mother Insoo”

 

“But you’re the king’s mother in law”

 

“No. Seohyun. I can’t. I have to do this to protect you”

 

Seohyun frowned “What do you mean?”

 

Madam Ook sighed. It would take a long time to explain and she knew her daughter wouldn’t agree with her secret intention. She needed a deeper access to the Internal Court to make sure Queen Min wouldn’t lay a hand toward her daughter, not in her watch.

 

“Here. Take this” Madam Ook gave Lady Seohyun a small squared thing which is wrapped in a black fabric.

 

She glanced at it with a questioning look, “What is this?”

 

“It’s a charm to make your baby’s gender to become a male. Take it and bring it where ever you go”

 

She looked at her mother with an incredulous look “Mother.... You don’t have to do this”

 

Madam Ook wrapped her hand tightly “A concubine need to deliver a prince to survive in this palace. His majesty’s love isn’t enough. It could either change or fleet anytime”

 

Seohyun shook her head “No.... He promises me forever”

 

“Don’t be stupid. You can trust King Cho’s favor for now, but you can’t trust it forever. I have watched three generations of Jonseong Kings since I was a kid. Whether the queen or a concubine, women of the palace should always prepare... For a time his majesty’s favor for them ends”

 

She caressed her stomach, couldn’t accept her mother’s judgement “No. I am the only concubine he has. We love each other for more than ten years. He will never cha—“ she stopped her own statement when a certain memory flashed in her mind about what she had watched yesterday. She had a bad hunch watching Kyuhyun treated Sungmin differently.

 

Then suddenly she felt a pang of pain in her temple “Ugh...”. Madam Ook quickly held her daughter’s shoulder to stay still “Seohyun-ah. What happen? Are you hurt?”

 

“I am okay. Just.... Dizzy”

 

She led her daughter to sit on her couch “Please forgive your mother, Seohyun-ah. I didn’t mean to make you panic. I think I became paranoid nowadays. You’re right. You two have been in love for more than ten years and not even once he pays any attention to another woman beside you. You’re his first love after all. I worry for nothing”

 

She eyed her mother. Insecurity started to gather in her mind ‘But I am actually not his real first love, Mother....’

 

 

“So the person who become my pen pal all this month is you Seohyun-shi?!”

“Ye.... Yes, prince Kyuhyun. I... I am sorry”

“Hahaha.... Why you’re sorry? I like it though. Let’s meet often in the future....”

 

 

“Seohyun-ah!” she jerked back as her mother called her name “Ye... Yes?”.

 

She caressed her daughter’s cheek gently “Now. You have to meet Queen Mother Insoo to get closer to her. Her favorite daughter in law is still Queen Min but I know she longs for a grandson so much and Queen Min has disappointed her a lot because of that. You have to steal her heart”

 

Seohyun nodded and smiled at her “Yes, mother. I heard she wanted to watch the dancing competition. I will go now. And.... I think I will bring the charm”

 

“So you don’t mind it, Seohyun-ah?”

 

“It doesn’t have any danger in it, right?”

 

She chuckled with her daughter's innocent “Of course... And Seohyun-ah...”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You still keep a distance with Captain Yonghwa, don’t you?”

 

Her expression became serious again as the earlier smile disappeared from her lip, “Yes. You don’t have to worry”

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

After meeting King Cho earlier, Hangeng meant to go back to the spectator area to meet Heechul, Donghae, and Hyoyeon there. After this competition ended, he planned to say something to Heechul this evening. The sounds of drums dominated the most than others musical instruments as the opening of competition was starting. Right when he started to hurry his paces, someone pulled him hard and had his back bumped into a wall.

 

“What the...”

 

“Shhhhhhh....” the person who just blocked his personal spaces was smirking triumphantly.

 

“Mi...Miyoung-shi?”

 

“I have something to talk to you, Hangeng shi” she said seductively while caressing the fabric in front of his chest and he’s sure where that smile lead to....

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

The first round of the dancing competition was started. All of the attendees danced together in the open field for the opening ceremony. The royal family members and some ministers in royal court board also attended to watch the show at the platform of Myeongjeongjeon Hall. Meanwhile, for the common folks, the organizer has provided a separated place for them to enjoy the show.

 

While the minister of art was giving his opening speech, Queen Min and Sunkyu, who dressed as a common folk, finally arrived in the spectator area. It didn’t take a long time for them to spot Donghae and Hyoyeon waving their hands excitedly toward them.

 

“Ah Sungmi—Umphhtt!!!” Sunkyu quickly closed Donghae’s mouth from screaming Queen Min’s name because even though they stood on a public place where common folks could watch the dancing competition from a close distance, still it’s a show with well security from palace guards.

 

“Don’t scream agashi’s name here, Asshead!” Sunkyu glared at the man.

 

“Hey, I am older than you” Donghae pouted a protest.

 

“So?” She talked back with crossed arms.

 

Donghae’s face puckered because of too much thinking “Ummmm..... Nothing. By the way, Sungmin shi. I thought you wouldn’t come, ” he said.

 

Hyoyeon who stood beside him also nodded in agreement “I thought so too Agashi. Heenim is almost stressed because he wants to watch together with you too”

 

Sungmin widened her eyes in disbelief. But Hyoyeon assured her, “Yes, Agashi. It really pissed me up to hear his continuous nagging ‘why she hasn’t come yet?’ repeatedly. Oh my God. He really needs someone to teach him how to be patient” She said as she rolled her eyes.

 

Sungmin got stunned at the thought of ‘really? He thought about me?’ in her mind and it made her face flushed to think about it.

 

“But where is he, anyway?” Sunkyu commented. She noticed her queen’s eyes also wandered around to search the said gisaeng.

 

“Ah... He has been going to the dancer dorm to fix something but.... (Sigh) now I am afraid he get lost again in the palace because it has been too long and the first attendee is performing”

 

Both Sungmin and Sunkyu’s eyes were wide in shock “What?!! Palace?! How?” Sunkyu asked in panic.

 

“He disguises himself as a court lady” Hyoyeon said with a frown because of Sunkyu’s excessive reaction. But after a moment she let out a relieve sigh “Ah, it’s good that we didn’t meet him there” she mumbled.

 

“What?” Hyoyeon slightly caught her words. Sunkyu quickly shook her head “No. Never mind hehehe...”

 

Sungmin then grabbed Sunkyu’s hand and asked her to translate her words. “Agashi asked what order the number your team will perform?” She asked with a loud voice since the music of the show was pretty loud too.

 

“Number eight” Hyoyeon answered. The 2nd attendee was preparing to perform. “Here, Sungmin-shi” Donghae offered a small binoculars to her “If you want to see the dancer clearly” he said with a wide smile.

 

“Where did you get it?” Sunkyu asked with curiosity since it’s the thing that only noble could have. Donghae hummed proudly “Well, you can say I actually live a humble life like this”

 

“Don’t believe him. He got it from Mr. Hangeng” Hyoyeon said. Once the mention of the Chinese man's name, she suddenly felt uneasy as she gave the binoculars to Sunkyu instead. Sunkyu stared at her, a bit confused why her queen seemed to dislike the Chinese man so much.

 

“She doesn’t like it?” Donghae asked.

 

“No. She.... She just preferred to watch with bare eyes” Sunkyu said stutteredly. The changing mood of Sungmin hadn’t gone past unnoticed as the awkward atmosphere slowly grew around them.

 

“Um...Um... I think I am going to find Heenim now before our team perform. He might be lost somewhere. Donghae you stay here...” Hyoyeon said while taking a bundle of Heechul’s clothes with her.

 

“Yes. You have to make sure to drag him here soon. And I am more worried for the court ladies in the palace rather than him being lost. They’re in danger since he’s a ert” Donghae commented blatantly.

 

“Who do you mean a ert?!!!!” Someone grumbled behind him and he could feel the chills of evil plan come after him soon.

 

“Heenim!!!”

 

“Hyung!!!”

 

Without further ado, Heechul ran his arm around Donghae’s neck to choke him out “Aww... Hyung!! Ugh!!!”

 

“What did you say? ert? Me? As if you’re any better”

 

 

“But... It’s still better than Hyoyeon called you’re dumber than a pigeon since you got lost for hours”

 

“What? When did I say that? I never said that, Heenim. I swear” Hyoyeon raised a hand in panic.

 

Heechul glared back at Donghae “You fishy Hae. I don’t think I can let you go this time” he said as he tightened his hold on Donghae’s neck.

 

“Sungmin-shi help me!!!!” Donghae struggled. The mention of Sungmin’s name made Heechul’s attention distracted. Heechul’s eyes moved to the female who was giggling watched those two threatened each other like kids.

 

“Sungmin-shi!!! I am glad you come” Heechul released Donghae who nearly choked to dead and rushed to hug Sungmin without warning. Sungmin’s face was flushed bright red immediately with the sudden contact. It’s the second time he hugged her after the night at lampion festival. Tingling sensation in her stomach couldn’t be ignored anymore. She started to feel a difficulty to breathe with these racing heartbeats. Luckily, Siwon and Sunkyu came in rescue. Sungmin silently thanked them for successfully separating her and Heechul.

 

“Yah!! Fake Ahjumma. How dare you hug Agashi like that” Sunkyu yelled at him, made one of organizers who’s patrolling warned them to be quiet.

 

“You’re going overboard” Siwon pulled him and sent a deadly glare toward the gisaeng. Heechul got startled for a moment. It’s the second time he saw Siwon’s dark orbs drew in anger just like when they meet for the first time. But Sungmin quickly held his hand and told him in silent that she’s okay, so he released his grab from Heechul.

 

“Hehe... Sorry. I got too excited I guess. But.... Thanks for coming and cheering our team” He smiled at her. Sungmin couldn’t help but smile back shyly.

 

‘You’re welcome. Heechul-shi’ she said with her lip movement.

 

“Oh Heenim. Here your clothes. Change quickly. We don’t want to get a problem because of you” Hyoyeon threw the clothes and it landed successfully onto Heechul’s face.

 

“You’re the one who caused me trouble because of this court lady clothes, Hyo” He nagged at her.

 

“Did you meet Jiyeon and others?”

 

“No. I mean Yes.”

 

“So you did get lost”

 

“Of course not. I am busy helping a court lady who got her leg injured” He silently thanks Sulli and Sunyoung to give him a silly excuse. But Hyoyeon and Donghae squinted their eyes, didn’t believe his statement at all “Hmmmm.... Really?”

 

“Aish... Why I have to lie? You believe me, right Sungmin-shi?” Heechul turned to her, but received a pity look from her and Sunkyu. Not to mention Siwon who whispered to them “Yes. He really did lose when I found him”

 

Shocked with the embarrassment, he chose to leave to change his clothes first because he knew they (especially Hyoyeon and Donghae) would laugh at him. And he promised himself he would place spikes in their shoes one day for revenge.

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

“How is your health, Lady Seohyun?” Queen Mother Insoo asked the concubine who sat beside her “I’ve been well Insoo Daebi Mama” Seohyun answered politely. She knew It’s still far for her to call Queen Mother Insoo as ‘Mother’ like Queen Min did.

 

“That’s good, then” she said while still enjoying the dance in front of them. “Even though you’re not from noble class. You did a good job as concubine”

 

“You’re complimenting me too much, Daebi Mama” Seohyun said as she poured a tea for her mother in law.

 

Queen Mother Insoo glanced at the concubine and let out a sigh. She’s still in Queen Min side after all but the queen seemed like to let her down a lot lately. She rarely visited her not as much as Lady Seohyun did. She also often rejected the offers for a spending royal night together with the King due to health issues. She hummed in irony how the situation got reversed like that. If she kept doing that, she couldn’t grant anymore whether she still could save the right for delivering a crown prince because Lady Seohyun had a back up power from Choi faction now.

 

“Please forgive my manner, but seem like you’re in deep thinking now Daebi Mama. If you don’t mind you can share your worries with me”

 

“I feel disappointed by the absence of Queen Min here. I know attending the first round is a voluntary task, but I put so much hope to her as the queen of Jonseong”

 

“I think she need times, Daebi Mama. I actually blame myself since I might be the one who cause her like that” The tones in Seohyun’s voice sounded sad. Queen mother Insoo smiled at her “All the rumor about your golden heart seems like true, Lady Seohyun”

 

Seohyun smiled happily and bowed at her “Mama, your grace is immeasurable”.

 

Then Queen Mother Insoo glanced at his son who sat not afar from her “My son. Do you have any best dancer's team in mind?”

 

Kyuhyun turned “I don’t have any of them yet in mind, Mother” he said. The judgement for first round only from official judges. The King would decide the winner in the final round. But royal families could vote in the first round and it would make the lucky team became a strong candidate for the next round “How about you, Mother?”

 

“I have an eye for Hwang group. As expected, their performance is the best. I will vote for them. What do you think?”

 

But the king didn’t answer, but landed his eyes toward an empty seat beside him ‘Why does she not come?’

 

“Son?” His mother’s voice woke him up from being spaced out. “Ye...yes, Mother. What did you just say?”

 

“I ask you, what do you think about Hwang group?”

 

“Hwang? I think they’re good” He smiled at her then focused back on the dance performance in front of him. His anxiety didn’t leave unnoticed by Lady Seohyun and she could see a black hairpin rested in Kyuhyun’s right hand. She wondered why he hadn’t given it yet to his mother.

 

“Phea, I think it’s the right time to give it to your mother now” Seohyun said toward the king.

 

The king looked dumbfounded with Seohyun’s comment “What do you mean, Hyun?”

 

“The hairpin you showed me yesterday”

 

“The hairpin? You bring me  a gift from Wonju?” Queen Mother Insoo got excited with the news.

 

The King started to become panic “Ye... Yes. I have something for you, Mother. But I...I don’t bring it with me now. I will give it to you later” he said stuttered.

 

The smile from Lady Seohyun's face quickly flew into the air as she felt disappointed with the King’s comment ‘Why are you lying Phea?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC

 

######################################################################################

 

So here the new chapter guys ^^. Hope you don’t find this chapter boring. It’s so difficult to overcome writer block TT__TT.  So as an apology, I give you the spoiler for next chapter ^^

 

 

 

3rd TEASER

 

“Queen Min is watching the dance competition with common folks”

“Son, where are you going?”

“I love you, Hangeng shi. Don’t you realize that?”

“Heechul, I can explain!!”

“Agashi, where do you want to go?”

"Where's Sungmin?"

"He left, Hyung"

 

Please give me feedback by commenting Guys ^^. You're all awesome XD.