Sign

The Mute Queen

 

Back to Jonseong Dinasty
 
 
She felt her body not standing on the ground anymore. A first time in a while for her to feel her eyelids to be this heavy and want to close them longer than they used to be. She felt so sleepy yet comfortable. She liked the fragrance around the fabric of a certain someone’s cloth. She realized her hands circled around the person’s neck, legs also being held by the latter’s hands and attached to it's waist.
 
 
“Yah, don’t look at me like that!” that person whispered to another person beside while walking.
 
 
“Don’t you dare taking advantage to Min Agashi, Understand!!” another person whose voice she recognized as Sunkyu, whispered with intimidating tone.
 
Another man (which was Donghae) chuckled “Seriously, what have you done with Heechul hyung? My Heechul hyung never did anywork that would make him sweaty. So who are you?”
 
“Ugh, just shut up. Mind you? I can let you hold her unless you throw away that big fishcake of yours” She finally recognized the voice of the person who piggyback her. It’s Heechul.
 
Donghae protected his fishcake “No, hyung. You don’t know how long I wait for this gift. Mind you?!!”
 
“And you Sunsun, are you sure your agashi got feed well? Surprisingly she’s light like a feather” 
 
There’s a pregnant silence for a while “She… she’s barely eat. The last I saw her ate well is when she ate with her brother three years ago” Sunkyu said.
 
Heechul’s eyebrows furrowed “Huh? You mean Siwon-shi?”
 
“No. The older one. Lor.. I mean Youngmaster Eunhyuk”
 
“What happened with him?” Donghae asked.
 
Sunkyu’s getting nervous “Um….um…. (ugh what to do....?)”
 
Sungmin couldn’t let Sunkyu to spill the truth so she lifted her head and opened her eyes “Oh, agashi. Are we make you awake?” Sunkyu asked.
 
Sungmin shook her head. She looked around but noticed there were only four of them. She looked at Sunkyu.
 
Where is Siwon?
 
Sunkyu spoke by moving her lip ‘I will tell you later’
 
Sungmin nodded then she glanced at the head of someone who piggybacked her. There’s something grew inside her face. Something strange that wouldn’t be confirmed unless she looked into a mirror to see what colour that drew on her face now. 
 
What’s this feeling?
 
 She’s sure it wouldn’t be love cause her heart just beated normally like usual. She only felt comfortable more than anything as she slowly attached her cheek on the said man(/woman)’s shoulder.
 
“Excuse me since you already awake, can you walk on your own Sung—“ Heechul turned to face her noticing the latter closed her eyes immediately and let out a soft murmur.
 
“She sleeps back again” Sunkyu said.
 
Heechul stopped “What the hell? Yah you cheater. Wake up! I know you aren’t sleeping”
 
“Yah! watch your mouth, could you? She does sleepy and you just said before that she’s light as a feather. So why do you complain?”
 
“I suddenly think that she gains weight because eating a cotton candy too much” Heechul retorted.
 
 
 
 
 
 
____________________________~*SJ*~_____________________________
 
 
 
Meanwhile, far from Hanyang capital, in a sacred mountain Naejangsan. There’s a hidden temple stood inside a forbidden forest. A sacred temple. A place where the beginning of a secret deal between two clan had been settled.
 
In a main hall, a bunch of women with white clothes lines in circle. At every line, they intertwined their hands to each other making ring-like formations. In the center, a woman knelt down with hands spreading wide to the air.  Her head upturned toward a big hole on the ceiling. Moonlight which came through it could be seen touching her beautiful face gracefully. 
 
was mumbling something that far from Jonseong language while her eyes shut tightly. Slowly, her mumbling became faster. Sweat on her face was increasing rapidly. It seemed like she saw something. Something as horrible as a nightmare. She shook her head. Then her eyes suddenly unfolded widely followed with a rapid gasping.
 
“Phoenix!!”
 
The bunch of women around her looked at her with puzzled expression. One of them took a step forward.
 
“Madam Sohee, what happen?”
 
The said woman glanced at her in horror “A phoenix. A phoenix will come to embrace a heart of Jonseong's shadow”
 
“When it will happen?”
 
She shook her head. ’s trembling “I don’t know Sunye. I still don’t know this is good or bad”
 
“We will know it is a good sign or bad sign if we know the gender of that firebird, Madam. There’s nothing to worry about”
 
Madam Sohee shook her head again “No. The problem is I don’t know what the phoenix’s gender. We have to prepare another ceremony”
 
 
 
 
 
____________________________~*SJ*~_____________________________
 
 
 
 
Siwon sent someone to inform me that royal guards were searching you. He couldn’t let them know about you’re in a gisaeng house. That’s why he didn’t come back with us tonight. He will come with a cart to take us this early morning
 
She recalled what Sunkyu said to her just after they came back to Gisaeng house. She’s laid in a mattress that had been prepared by Hyoyeon. She didn’t sleep alone tough. Sunkyu slept comfortably on her left side while Hyoyeon on another side.
 
She couldn’t sleep. Not because worrying about why her husband suddenly searched her but more about contemplating the life she went through. About what purpose her existence was. Why she became what she was now. Why she had to suffer this much just because loving someone who’s never been hers. And why she was still crazily in love with that man.
 
She lifted her left hand and glanced at her index finger especially focused to the long scratch on it. It’s a scar she got when she’s 7 years old.
 
 
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Flashback
***********
 
She barely remembered all what happened that time. She had been brought to an old temple by her father. There were too many people with white clothes there. 
 
She remembered she stood above a big round stone and a beautiful lady also stood in front of her, smiling. 
 
“Princess, do you love Prince Kyuhyun?” she asked.
 
Sungmin answered innocently “Yes. Very love him. But he seems doesn’t like me” she sighed in disappointment.
 
“Why?”
 
Sungmin looked up at her “he like that ugly girl. I hate her” Her expression fueled with anger when she remembered Seohyun’s face. But a recent incident reminded her about someone “Ah, yesterday I’ve met a boy. He helped me when I nearly fell to a muddy ground. He’s annoying but funny. And he’s pretty too. I think if Kyuhyun reject me I will find that boy and force him to marry me”
 
The woman cupped her cheek “No. You can’t. Just focus to love Prince Kyuhyun”
 
“Huh? Why?”
 
That woman only smiled to her then called another woman with a tray to come near them. She took something. A small knife with a dragon engraved on it’s handle. 
 
She turned to face Sungmin again, took Sungmin’s left hand, and caressed it.
 
Sungmin became scared “Ah…Aunty, what are you doing?” She glanced at her who stood far with another people with white clothes. She smiled then nodded to convince her that everything would be okay.
 
The woman who held the knife took Sungmin’s index finger. Mumbling about something which she couldn’t understand. Then she scratched it in a straight line with that knife.
 
Sungmin screamed. Tears streamed through her cheek as that woman squeezed the wound and made her blood run down to a small cup. She took a white fabric on the tray then wrapped the round with it.
 
She rubbed Sungmin’s tears with her free hand then stared at her fiercely “Now you have to keep loving Cho Kyuhyun until you die Lee Sungmin. You’re forbidden to become weak. Build your anger and become the ruler of Jonseong shadow for the sake of Cho and Lee clan”.
 
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
End of Flashback
***************
 
She let out a long sighed. She didn’t understand at that time what that woman meant. She had no idea  that she’s just through a sacred ceremony between royal family and Lee. She also wasn't sure whether she became a cruel person after that or it’s just her true nature from beginning. She’s never believed such a myth. 
 
She did agree that a country needed to be led with fear. There’s a time when she thought Lee’s ambition slowly becoming her own ambition too. But when all people she loved left her one by one, she’s starting to give up. Especially when there’s no sign of her husband gave his heart to her one day.
 
“Thinking about something Agashi?” Hyoyeon who laid beside her asked, made Sungmin startled.
 
“You should sleep. You have to leave on early morning, right? I heard from our master… well in this case I should call him Mistress kekeke…” she chuckled.
 
Sungmin widened her eyes ‘Master?
 
“Ah I mean Heenim. You seem really get along with him a lot, Agashi. I think he likes you”
 
Sungmin’s cheek suddenly coloured pink, Hyoyeon quickly fixed her words “No, I mean not about ‘like’ like that. Don’t be scared, Agashi. Maybe he’s a transgender but he’s a good person”
 
Sungmin shook her head as she didn’t mean like what Hyoyeon implied. She didn’t scared at the said man.
 
“Agashi, the day after tomorrow we have a practice for dance competition in Gyeongbok palace. Would you mind to watch us? I grant you that you won’t get disappointed”
 
Sungmin nodded in excitement. She really want to watch Heechul played Gayageum again.
 
Hyoyeon smiled “That’s good then. Now we should sleep Agashi”
 
 
Meanwhile, when they’re drifted to sleep, a pair of eyes kept observing the house of Gisaeng from outside. That person stood above a wall, eyes like a hawk searching for a prey.
 
He felt someone’s getting close to him. He took out his sword then drew it straight to the stranger’s nose.
 
“Wow!! Wow!! Easy Siwon shi. It’s me Donghae” The stranger who’s actually to be Donghae stepped back a bit. 
 
Siwon sighed in relief but far from that he’s curious how Donghae could get closed to him without him even notice it earlier “Donghae-shi. What are you doing here?”
 
“Well I don’t know a rich person like you also have a ert mind for peeking out Gisaeng house right Siwon shi?”
 
“That’s not like you’re thinking. I come here to protect Gongju--- wait, what do you mean ‘also’? Do you want to—“
 
Donghae’s getting nervous. He shook his head along with his hands “What? No. I don’t want to peek your sister. Have you heard about patrolling? I am patrolling”
 
Siwon rolled his eyes and put back his sword to it’s sheath “whatever” then choosed to sit above the stone wall.
 
“Here” an apple showed in front of his face. He faced the younger who grinned widely.
 
“I’ve stolen it from Heechul hyung’s tree. It’s delicious”
 
Siwon chuckled and took the apple. He took a bite but eyes still wandering around Gisaeng house to watch if there’s any strange movement or not.
 
Donghae sat beside him “Don’t worry. This place is safe. Even a robber can’t lay a finger in this house unless he comes here as a customer with big money”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because they’re scared to Lady Heehee here kekeke….”
 
Siwon chuckled again. He stared at the room where Sungmin and Sunkyu were sleeping. “You must really love your sister, huh?” Donghae asked.
 
Siwon huffed then smiled widely “A lot…”
 
 
 
 
 
____________________________~*SJ*~_____________________________
 
 
 
 
 
Sungmin along with Sunkyu were sitting in a cart that went straight to Gyeongbok Palace, leaving the Gisaeng house just before sunrise showed the light of the new day. The Queen kept caressed the jade ring on her finger while smiling non stop.
 
“I still don’t understand why he give back that jade ring to you, Min Mama. He must be scheming something” 
 
Sungmin sighed, slowly shook her head as she didn’t believe that the said man might scheming something bad to her.
 
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Flashback
***********
 
She knocked the transgender gisaeng’s room. A sound of someone said ‘Come in’ was heard behind the door. She opened it and saw him was busy cleaning his gayageum with a tiny brush.
 
He smiled at her “Ah, Sungmin-shi. So you will left soon?” Sungmin nodded. She handed a letter she wrote to the male.
 
 
Thanks for the great time.
I don’t want this is the last time we meet.
I heard tomorrow you all will practice for a dancing competition.
Would you mind if I come to visit for watching you practice?
It will be very good if you show me how you play a gayageum again
I like your music
 
Heechul chuckled. When he looked toward the female, he could see a faint blush drawn on her face while biting her lower lip. She looked nervous.
 
“Well, if you give  me a good paid…” Then he saw a trace of disappointment from the female’s face. He chuckled again “Just kidding, Min kekeke…. Cha! Have your cart arrived yet?”
 
Sungmin was stunned when she heard Heechul called her with a nickname. She thought her ears would be wrong. But she didn't have enough time to react as Heechul took her hand and accompanied her to the main gate. Sunkyu already sat inside the cart and waved a hand toward the Queen “Agashi, please come here quickly! We'll gonna be late”
 
Sungmin nodded. She bowed her head toward Heechul, a sleepy Donghae, and Hyoyeon as a goodbye sign then ready to get inside the cart but “Wait!!”
 
Sungmin turned back “I have to give this back” Heechul said after taking Sungmin’s hand and placing a jade ring on her palm made the female blinked in confusion.
 
But this is….
 
“I don’t take this much from my friend” he smiled at her.
 
“Just visit us sometime. But not at night okay? That’s our working hours”
 
"Hyung!!! How could you say you don't take money from your friend when all this time you keep taking money from me!! Am I not a friend to you? Do you not love me anymore?" Donghae suddenly lost his sleepy hearing Heechul's words.
 
The older male just rolled his eyes "Yes, you're not a friend but my dongseng. You babo!! Of course I love you"
 
"Really?" As usual, Donghae got tamed easily by Heechul. He then whispered to Sungmin "he's really an idiot, right?" earning a short giggle from the female
 
 
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
End of Flashback
***************
 
“Min Mama, we have reached Gyeongbok palace” Sunkyu’s words bought her out from her own thinking.
 
“What are you smiling about, Min Mama? Is it something good?” Sungmin smiled and nodded at her earning a more smile from her loyal servant.
 
“It’s really good to see you smile like that, Min Mama” She wanted to said that she didn’t see the Queen’s smile since Lord Eunhyuk left but she choosed to hold the urge to say that because she knew it would make the queen sad again. The way how the queen smiled back was so precious to her. She promised silently at heart that she would protect that smile no matter what.
 
 
 
 
____________________________~*SJ*~_____________________________
 
 
 
 
The sun was starting to rise. Sungmin got inside her chamber alone. Sunkyu left her to prepare a hot water for the Queen’s bath time. She kept brushed her jade ring. She had a lot of rings tough, but this one was felt special for her. A ring from a new precious friend.
 
“Where were you last night?” her eyes were wide in shock, couldn’t believe with a familiar voice was suddenly heard behind her. She turned around and saw King Cho stood before her.
 
 
Kyu….
 
 
He walked toward her and grabbed her shoulder. He stared at her which from Sungmin's view was different from his usual cold stare. Her face was only a mere inches with the male as she could feel his breath. She could tell that it’s smelled like an alcohol. 
 
But the banquet had been held last night, so was that mean the King hadn’t slept at all? That question annoyed Sungmin a lot. Why her husband all of a sudden acted like this. A flash of mind did occured insided her as if the King actually mistook her chamber as Seohyun’s chamber because of too much drunk.
 
He removed his hand to Sungmin’s cheek and made the latter looked straight into his eyes “Please tell me Sungmin. Is this the way you punish yourself by not talking to me or actually this is your new way to punish me from beginning?”
 
She couldn’t answer. She froze at her position as she couldn’t guess what the next move would the King do as he started to close their distance. She chose to close her eyes….
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
TBC
 
 
######################################################################################
 Here the new chapter ^^. Hope you didn’t get tired reading the story because I barely update regularly these days. Please support me by voting, subscribing, and commenting. Also please don’t forget to tell me what you think about the chapter ^^. As an apology for my lateness here I give you a teaser for future chapters
 
 
 
 
 
2nd TEASER
 
“What do you want from me, Lord Seunghyun”
“Help me to take down Lee Faction”
“that song is created specially for someone”
“Musician Association can’t let a transgender like him become an artist”
“I never see her smile like that” 
“Who’s that woman?”
 “Heenim is arrested”
 “There is a rumour about that Gisaeng becoming a part of rebel society”
“I have nothing to lose”
“Who are you?”