Epilogue

Behind The Screen

“So, what’s going on, hyung?” Seunggi asked. He was sitting on the passenger seat of his company’s car, with his manager in the driver’s seat. They were on the road, somewhere in the city of Seoul, heading back to their homes.

“Well,” his manager said. “Let’s just assume I helped you out with Hyojoo, okay?” His eyes did not budge from the road.

Seunggi tapped his fingers on his thigh slowly, evaluating his manager’s short explanation. “How do you even know about my feelings to Hyojoo?” he asked.

His manager turned the wheels to the right, turning on a sharp corner slowly. He remained quiet for a while, sorting out his words while he drove. “Let’s see, I hope I still remember it.”

Seunggi waited patiently for his answer, staring hopefully to his manager to relive his memories.

“Okay,” his manager breathed. “Do you remember that moment two years ago when we left early right after your last shooting of ‘Shining Inheritance’ ended?” Seunggi nodded. “Then, do you remember that you took a nap in the car back then?” Seunggi nodded again, hesitantly. He vaguely remembered what happened in the car. “Okay.”

His manager cleared his throat. “You were mumbling in your sleep. You called her in your sleep. “Hyojoo-ya, Hyojoo-ya” you whispered. At first, I thought you were just breathing heavily but after a while, I could make out clearly that you were calling her. You really sounded desperate, as if you were clinging onto your life just by calling her name. That was when I knew you had feelings for her.”

Seunggi did nothing but stare out of the window, at the cars that his manager overtook. The words took quite a while to process in his mind. Although he heard it clearly, something was missing. A question popped up in his mind. What was he dreaming back then? He remembered having a short breakdown after the shooting ended, but he never recalled a dream he had.

His manager continued, “Before I woke you up, you were sweating profusely and you were curled up in your seat. You looked so bad that I had to wake you up.”

“Actually, I don’t remember that,” Seunggi said. “Did that really happen?”

“Yup.” His manager chuckled. “I remember when we stopped in a rest area, a garbage truck stopped beside our car. The smell got into our car, and you were mumbling something about “director” and “smelly”. I couldn’t stop laughing when I heard you say that. I’ve been meaning to ask you what you dreamt, but that would be worthless now, would it?”

Seunggi searched for the memory of the dream in his mind. He could never recall any dream he had, except for one that he had as a child. Memories of his dreams vanished as soon as he woke up. He decided it would be worthless to try and remember, so he the radio.

“So, how did you manage to pair me up with Hyojoo?”

“Well, that’s easy,” his manager answered. “I simply discussed with the producer. He agreed to it.”

“What about the phone number part? How’d you know I exchanged phone numbers with Hyojoo just now?”

His manager eyed him strangely. “You just exchanged your phone number with her? I thought you had it with you all this while!”