(Emer) Entry 5

Silver Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

This guy has to be a complete idiot.

But he’s not a guy. He’s an Exon. Which just makes it a lot more complicated.

The fact that he can make me speechless for a short amount of time disconcerts me. I rack my brain for a response that will fit, except it shouldn’t be that difficult to reply since he’s an Exon, and I shouldn’t be concerned about his opinion of me.

So why do I feel self-conscious all of a sudden?

“If you’re so smart,” I answer, “then you should know that humans can’t love machines.”

“That’s a lie,” he says frankly. “The Institute told me that humans could love things besides other humans.”

“Like what?” I test him.

“Anything that has sentimental value.”

My breath catches. He’s right, and I don’t want to admit it. I remember the photograph that Lane ruined. That thing wasn’t alive. It was a piece of paper with ink etched on its surface. It was a tangible memory that didn’t breathe, didn’t live, and yet I loved it, because it was a precious reminder of my father.

“You’re a very opinionated Exon, aren’t you?” I ask him slowly.

“Is that bad?” He questions, a look of guilt and panic on his face.

Something about his expressions gives me reason to suspect his identity as an Exon. “Well, I guess it’s better than being dysfunctional,” I say.

He smiles at me.

It’s a sad smile. There’s regret in his lips, but twinkles of golden happiness spots his eye. Lane never smiled like that. His smile would reach his eyes, but I could tell it was manufactured. It wasn’t genuine.

I didn’t know Exons were capable of displaying a mixture of emotions. Perhaps this is a feature only associated with the 2nd Gen. It reminds me of the fact that the Institute shouldn’t be making such human-like machines. Angered by this reiterated information, I frown at him.

“Are you alright?” He asks me.

“What?”

“You’re frowning,” he points out.

I don’t know how to react. He says it so straight-forwardly that I’m not sure whether I should be impressed by his honesty, or laugh at his observation. “Humans can do things like that,” I explain. “We can frown. Oh, you know what else we can do? We can feel things.” To show that I’m finished with the conversation, I angle my body away, but he speaks up.

“What’s it like?”

“What’s what like?”

He clears his throat. “Being human.”

I pause. Why does he want to know? “It’s like … I don’t know, like anything else, really.” How am I supposed to explain to him what being human is like? It’s not as if I spend my days pondering my existence. I don’t have that problem.

“Is it nice to know that you’re real?” He asks me. He really wants to know. His eyes are beaming with curiosity. He looks cute, and since that just irritates me more, I frown yet again.

I hear the lock click. “Mom’s home,” I say and turn to see the front door being opened. My mom steps in, looking prim in her gray pants and fitted blazer. She closes the door behind her and locks it before she looks up and notices the Exon and me.

“Hello Luhan,” she greets, sticking her hand out and welcoming him with a sweet smile. I roll my eyes. What is she doing? She shouldn’t be treating Exons with that type of cordiality. Has she forgotten what the last Exon did to our home? To dad?

“Hello,” he does a little bow and shakes her hand. He smiles again.

I hate that smile. I hate it.

“Hey Emer,” she says, coming to me and wrapping me in a brief hug. “Door looks nice,” she chuckles.

“Your Exon ruined it,” I murmur.

“Don’t treat him that way,” she admonishes me. “He fixed it, didn’t he?”

“Oh, really?” I comment as I look at Luhan, who is blankly gazing at me. He’s a complete space cadet. If it weren’t for the constant flickering in his eyes, I’d assume that he hasn’t been absorbing any information. “You’re home sooner than I thought you would be.”

“I need to go back to work, actually,” she tells me, pulling me into the kitchen and away from Luhan. She drops her voice. “But I had to stop by and tell you something.”

“You came all the way here just to tell me something?”

“No, I needed to get some things for the door, remember? I bought tools for Luhan. And I need to give him a mandate, lest he be idle during his stay at the house.”

“And exactly how long do you intend to keep him?” I ask her.

She shakes her head. “I don’t know.”

I step away from her. “I’d like to know, mom.”

“You need to give him a chance,” she pleads, placing her hands on my shoulders.

“Why?”

“This is what I needed to tell you about,” she starts. Taking a breath, she continues, “It’s about your dad.”

I feel the tips of my fingers turn cold. I try to move, but her hands ke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter