xx

Chasing Summer

 

Mrs. Bae wanted Suzy to choose a cake for her birthday, much to the celebrant’s dismay. Suzy just got home from school when she was told to head out again.

“It’s fine, mom,” she said, while placing her bag on the sofa. “Nobody likes cake in our family, anyway.”

“It’s for the guests,” her mother pushed. “And what’s a birthday without a cake? Now, go to the shop with Sunggyu and choose what you want. Tell them to have it ready on the tenth.”

She paused, and her brain started to search for excuses. Finally, she muttered, “I can go alone. I know the place, anyway.”

“No,” Mrs. Bae replied. “It’s late, and it’s easier to go there by car. Sunggyu didn’t work today, so he’s fine with it.”

Suzy bit her lower lip, took her bag again and dragged herself upstairs. Sang Moon was still at school for soccer practice, leaving her with no choice but to knock on Sunggyu’s door. After a few seconds her foster brother was finally standing in front of her. He was wearing a plain white shirt paired with ripped jeans.

“You’re here,” he said.

“Yeah,” she replied.

“Mom told me I’d have to drive you to the cake shop.”

Suzy nodded.

“Are you ready?” he asked.

“Yeah.”

She made way, and he walked past her. His scent entered her senses, and she had to look away in order to distract herself.

“Let’s go,” he quietly said, and Suzy tagged after him, keeping a gap between them. Before, she wouldn’t do that. She used to stay close to Sunggyu, only to take in his warmth and fragrance no matter what. They used to be inseparable.

They told Mrs. Bae they were leaving, and she sent them off with a smile. The two walked to the garage, and Sunggyu opened the door for the passenger’s seat first, tossing his folder filled with manuscripts to the backseat.

“Those are important,” Suzy pointed out. “You should handle it with care.”

Sunggyu smiled a little at her remark. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

He made his way around the car, and occupied the driver’s seat. They both closed their doors at the same time and he ignited the engine. “Wear your seatbelt.”

She obliged, and after securing his, they headed for the shop. The ride was quiet. Suzy looked at the urban view outside, while Sunggyu focused on the road. Out of habit he would turn the radio on once he stops on a red light. That was what he exactly did, and a peaceful melody filled the vehicle. The intro was familiar, and Suzy’s eyes shifted towards the radio. She stared at it for a few more seconds, before looking away again in order to keep her tears from flowing.

The song was the very same one Summer sang to her back then.

<:>

“Hyung, you always play that song these days,” Daehyun remarked, when Myungsoo finally stopped strumming his guitar.

The older one flashed him a smile. “It’s the one I have to play for the celebrant’s birthday.”

The young boy smiled back. “You’ll go there at night, right?”

Myungsoo nodded. “That’s why you have to stay in your dad’s office for the time being. He knows already.”

“But he’s your dad, too,” Daehyun pointed out. “Shouldn’t you be saying ‘our dad’?”

He paused, and the honest spark in his younger brother’s eyes showed he didn’t mean any harm. Kids like him usually told the truth with no hidden motives. It was just an honest observation, and Myungsoo began to wonder if he was like Daehyun before.

He sighed, and tousled the younger one’s hair. He didn’t say anything.

“Hyung?”

“Hm?”

“Can you come with me to Sunday School next week? My parents can’t take me.”

Myungsoo grinned. “Of course.”

<:>

Suzy and Sunggyu stepped out of the car. He let her enter the shop first, and he followed. The two roamed around the room, looking at one cake after the other. The man behind the counter simply observed them.

Finally, she stopped, and pointed at a chocolate cake, sprinkled with white, tiny Kisses. “I’ll have this one.”

“Are you sure?”

Suzy nodded. Sunggyu then turned to the man. “Can you make it into three layers?”

“Of course!”

He smiled, while fishing his wallet out of his pocket. He took out his card, and said, “We need to have it ready by the tenth. We’ll pick it up at noon.”

The man took note of what Sunggyu had said, and after paying, the two bowed down before leaving the shop.

“Do you want to eat something before going home?” he asked. “You must be hungry.”

“No,” she muttered. “I’m fine.”

Sunggyu stared at her for a moment longer, and said, “Suit yourself.”

He took the long way home, and Suzy noticed it. Nevertheless, she didn’t say anything. All she wanted to do was to be as far away from Sunggyu as possible. If she could jump out of the car, she would have done that a long time ago. She felt restless.

“I’m sorry,” Sunggyu began. “I really am.”

She didn’t reply.

“I’ll try to make things okay,” he carried on. “I swear I will, Suzy. I’m sorry, all right?”

She bit her lower lip to stop herself from crying. Sunggyu saw her nod, and he knew all was well with them.

<:>

Sunggyu stared at his computer screen, with the blinking cursor staring back at him mockingly. He was back to editing a script, and yet, he couldn’t concentrate. Somehow, he kept on staring at his phone, and his thoughts were flying in all directions.

He still wanted to keep Suzy. He still wanted to see just how far they could go despite their difficult situation. His selfish side was coming out, he knew this full well. Nevertheless, he still wanted to delay things, even if he was aware everything would be over soon—that his feelings would be out in the open.

With a sigh, he reached for his phone, and scrolled down his contacts list until he found a certain name: Kim Myungsoo.

<:>

“Hyung!” Daehyun cried, as he ran into the living room, while holding his brother’s phone. “You have a call.”

Myungsoo stood up from the sofa and took it. He looked at the screen, and upon seeing the caller, he answered it without hesitating.

“Is this Myungsoo?” the familiar voice from the other end of the line asked.

“Yes,” he replied.

“Do you still remember me?”

“Sunggyu,” he pointed out.

“It’s good you still do,” he said. “Do you have time?”

Myungsoo looked at the clock, and then at Daehyun. It was already half past nine.

“Of course.”

“Then let’s meet up. Same place.”

“I might have to bring my younger brother with me.”

Sunggyu let out a short chuckle. “It’s fine with me.”

“Thank you.”

“Is that all?”

“No.”

A short pause. “Then what else?”

“Why…have you decided to meet up with me all of a sudden?” he asked, his voice shaking slightly.

“It’s inevitable,” he replied, before hanging up.

Daehyun stared at Myungsoo. “Are we going somewhere, hyung?”

He nodded. “Go get your coat. We have to hurry.”


 

"Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act."
- Proverbs 3:27