A Brother's Plea

The Bittersweet Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5GVZJ0_uIw

-----

The next day, Kris visited Jungah again. He rang her doorbell several times. When she didn’t answer, he banged his fist on the door. “JUNGAH, I KNOW YOU’RE IN THERE! OPEN THE GODDAMN DOOR! AT LEAST SHOW ME THAT YOU’RE OKAY!”

There was no reply. Kris rested his forehead against the cold door and shut his eyes. *Damn. . What if something bad happened? Or what if she blames me for everything, and she never wants to see me again?*

“What are you doing here?” A voice whispered.

His eyes shot wide open, and he spun around.

Jungah was standing there with bags of groceries in her hands. His eyes flitted from her body to her face. Everything seemed to be all right with her. Her eyes were a bit swollen, but that had been expected.

“Where did you go?” Kris asked, stunned.

“Market, as you can tell.” Her face revealed nothing.

There was no sadness. There was no resentment. There was no anger

. Jungah walked past him. Kris stepped back and winced as the cold air blew past him. There was something unsettling about Jungah. She was void of emotions. Either she was over Zico’s death, or she was so heartbroken that she was incapable of feeling anything. He highly doubted it was the first.

Jungah opened the door. She didn’t invite him in, but she left the door unlocked.

Kris caught the door before it could close. He stepped into her house and warily looked around. The house was unusually neat and organized. He didn’t know what he had been expecting, but he definitely hadn’t expected everything to be so calm and normal. Jungah disregarded him as she placed all the food in the refrigerator and cupboard.

“How…are you?” Kris carefully asked.

“Fine.” Jungah shut the refrigerator door and placed the plastic bags into the cupboard.

His eyebrows furrowed, “Are you sure?” She spun around with her poker-face on, “What do you want me to answer? Do you want me to tell you that I’m dying? That I’m ing miserable beyond words? That if I had a choice, I would follow Zico to heaven or hell?”

Kris deeply frowned. “Don’t say that.”

“Isn’t that what you were expecting me to say?” Jungah turned her back to him, “I’m not going to spontaneously combust, so don’t worry about me and go your way.”

“Go…my way?” Kris whispered in disbelief.

Jungah spun back around, “When are you going back to China?”

“Do you want me to go back to China?” Kris shot back. He couldn’t believe she was asking him such a question.

“Don’t you have to? It’s your home.” Jungah placed one hand on her hip and tilted her head, “Don’t tell me you thought we were still going to be together after all of this.”

His face paled, “W-what?”

Her eyes narrowed, “Zico is dead because of your gang. Your friends hurt mine. Now Zico is gone. How can you possibly expect me to still be with you after what your friends did to mine?”

“That has nothing to do with our love!” Kris shouted.

“As long as you are still friends with that atrocious gang of yours, we can never be. I can’t even look at you without thinking about Zico’s death.” Jungah hissed.

“I quit the gang!” Kris sneered. Her eyes rounded in surprise, “You what?”

“I quit the gang, all right? I’m not a drug dealer anymore! I’m just me!” Yet, he couldn’t help but think of what Liang had told him. “A leopard can’t change his spots.” For a second, he thought she would forgive him since her face went soft with blankness. *It’s good that you quit. That way, I won’t hurt you when I’m getting my revenge.* Jungah looked away, “I made up my mind. You should go.”

“JUNGAH!” Kris screamed in frustration. He grasped her arms and shook her madly, “How can you do this to me?! I’m not the one that killed Zico! I know I do have some responsibility towards his death, but I’m not the one that shot him! I thought you said you were in love with me! How can you let go of me so easily after this incident?!”

Jungah squeezed her eyes shut tightly and tried hard not to break into a sob or he would know of her plans. *There’s only one way I can break him away from me.* Her eyes shot wide open, and she glared at Kris with a false burning hatred. “I don’t love you anymore.”

“Lie!” He snarled.

Jungah shoved him, “I’m telling nothing but the truth. Do you know what Zico told me before he died? He said he was in love with me.” His face fell. She smirked, “Yeah, he was in love with me all along. I loved him, and he loved me. We were the perfect couple, but he just had to die before he could confess.”

“No…” Kris whispered.

“If he survived those bullet wounds, I would’ve left you. I would’ve left you and went to Zico.” Jungah sneered. Lie after lie spilled out of , and she became uncontrollable. She spat the most vile, heart-splitting words to him. She could see the pain etching across his face. It hurt her to see him like this, but there was no other way. She had to protect the last man she loved.

“ENOUGH!” Kris shouted. Jungah stopped talking. He released her and stepped back. “I got it. Zico is more important to you than I am. You love him more than me. You wish it was me that died instead of him.” Kris looked up and gazed at her with sorrow and pain. “I get it…so you don’t have to say those words anymore.” Then he turned around and left the house.

Jungah heard the door shut. Her legs gave out, and she collapsed onto the floor. Incoherent blubbers of grief escaped her lips. *I’m so sorry, Kris, but it’s better this way. You won’t be in the way when I go after Liang. And I’l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter