Kris, You Heart Stealer

The Bittersweet Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris pulled his car to a stop in front of Jungah’s apartment.

“Thanks for the ride. Bye.” She turned to go, but he caught her arm. She gave him an inquiring look, “Yes?” “Your present remember?” He reminded.

“Oh. Right.” Jungah glanced to the backseat. “It’s not there.” Kris stated.

She gave him a puzzled look. He glanced up at her building, “Do you mind if I come in for a while?”

Jungah paused then nodded. Kris smiled, “Go up first. I need to get your gift.” “O…kay.” Jungah tilted her head to the side once and got out of the car. She held her presents in her arms and glanced back. Kris was gazing at her with his intense eyes. *I wonder what the gift is.*

Jungah went inside the building, slightly enthralled. She rode the elevator up to her floor and unlocked the door to her residence. She came inside and the lights. Jungah placed her presents on her bed. She came back out to see if anything was out of order. She saw the bags of chips, cup ramen bows, and cushions on the floor. *. Why does he want to trouble me by coming up all of a sudden?*

As quickly as she could, Jungah tidied her place up. She threw the empty chip bags and finished cup ramens into the garbage bag. Jungah placed the cushions back on the couch and fluffed them up a bit. She grabbed air freshener from the bathroom and sprayed it all over. Jungah sniffed the air and cringed as she waved the strong scent away. *Is this too obvious? Damn, I don’t even know why I’m making all this fuss. He’s just going to give me my present and leave. Maybe I should call him and tell him to just give me the gift on Monday.*

Before she could act upon her idea, the doorbell rang.

“!” Jungah jumped high in the air. She pressed her hand over her pounding heart. *Calm the down, Han Jungah. He’s not Zico. He’s not Zico. He’s not Zico. SO WHY THE HELL AM I REACTING THIS WAY?! ARGH!*

Jungah wanted to bury herself into a hole or jump over the balcony to escape this crisis.

The doorbell rang before she could do either of those things.

With a deep breath, Jungah carefully approached the door. She opened the door and dreadfully looked up.

“What took you so long?” Kris asked as he shut the door behind him. He took off his shoes and stepped inside her place.

Suddenly, Kris froze. Jungah immobilized as well. The hair on her back bristled. *…*

Kris sniffed the air once, twice. Slowly, he turned around. She became as rigid as a stone statue. *. I knew I shouldn’t have sprayed that thing.* A wide, knowing smirk spread across his face. “Did you spray the room just for me?”

*Damn him and his sharp senses.* Jungah tried to remain as cool and casual as possible. Yet, she covered it up badly by an overreacting sneer, “Hell no. Why would I do that for someone like you? For your information, my house always smells this nice, got it?!”

Kris held his hands out with an innocent shrug, “I was just asking. No need to react excessively. Sheesh.”

Jungah scowled. “You know what? I don’t need your damn gift so just leave.”

“Rude. I bought it just for you. Will you really reject a man’s courtesy like that?” Kris feigned hurt.

Jungah pinched the bridge of her nose as her eyebrow twitched in irritation. He smirked at her reaction. Sighing in exasperation, she opened her eyes, “Fine. Give me the gift and go.”

“That’s almost as cruel as the first choice. Can’t you even offer me a drink? I’m pretty thirsty…” Kris eyed her.

Jungah narrowed her eyes, “Are you for real?”

“Something else besides water.” He sat down.

*Argh! This guy! I can’t even-* Jungah stormed off. She yanked open her refrigerator and peered inside. *Damn. Where did all the sodas go?* Jungah looked up to see hot chocolate. She straightened up with a sigh. *I guess there is no other choice.*

Minutes later, Jungah stirred two mugs of hot chocolate. She placed them on a tray and balanced it on her good arm. Jungah carried the tray back to the living room. Kris noticed she was having trouble and helped her out right away. “You couldn’ve called for me.”

“No, thanks. I’m trying not to see you as much as possible. So just drink, give me my birthday present, and go.” Jungah sipped her hot chocolate.

“So demanding.” Kris chuckled and sipped his hot chocolate.

It was silent for a while.

Jungah glanced at him. *He has a nice side profile. Wait, what the hell did I just think?* She shook her head.

“What?” He asked.

“Nothing.” Casually, Jungah picked on the lint on her shirt. “So…did you have a good time tonight?”

“Yeah, it was fun getting taunted by your so-called friends. The hot-headed redhead wouldn’t stop insulting me, and the one with the black hair insulted me and ignored me.” Kris sarcastically stated.

Her expression softened. “Were they really that rude to you…?”

He noticed how worried and sorry she looked. Gently, he shook his head, “No, I was just kidding. Your friends were pretty nice actually. They seem to care about you. And Zico was very…hospitable.”

Jungah played with the end of her shirt, “They seem really rude and bad, but they’re not. They put loyalty above all else. Those seven have endured a lot in the past, so they’re a bit messed up. Still, they’re decent people. I wouldn’t trade them for anyone else…” Her gaze shifted upwards, “And Zico…” She shook her head with a small, admiring smile playing on her lips, “He’s a selfless, cheerful bastard. He’s like a giant elf. He likes to make people happy.”

Kris studied her expression as she talked about Zico.

Jungah turned to him. With sincerity from the bottom of her heart, she spoke, “Thank you for coming today.” His gaze softened. “I know you probably had a lot to do today…and I appreciate you taking time off to celebrate my meaningless birthday with me. So yeah…thanks.” Embarrassed, Jungah looked away.

“It’s not meaningless.” Kris said. She looked at him in surprise, “What?” “Your birthday…” He looked straight into her eyes, “It’s not meaningless. I’m glad I came today. I was…happy.” Her heart flip-flopped in her chest. *I was, too.*

Instead of saying that, Jungah looked down in discomfort.

Kris shifted the topic to something else. “I still need to give you your present.”

*Oh, yeah. That’s why he’s here in the first place.* Jungah folded her hands in her lap and gave him a curious look.

This time, Kris was the one who felt nervous. For the first time in his life…he was scared. Scared that she wouldn’t accept his gift…and his heart.

“What is it? It better not be something erted like U-Kwon’s gift, which I will burn after you leave.” Jungah growled at the thought of the lacy lingerie sitting on her bed.

“I assure you that it’s not anything like that.” Kris chuckled.

“Then what is it? Why are you so hesitant?” Jungah demanded. Kris looked into her eyes. Her irritation dissolved when she saw the seriousness in his eyes. “What is it?” Her heart rate started to pick up speed. *Hurry up and spill! You’re making me anxious!*

“From now on, I need you to listen to me well because I mean every single word.” Kris searched her eyes.

Jungah nodded in promise. Kris took a deep breath. T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter