Letting Go

The Bittersweet Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cake was all gone. P.O. had finished the remaining three slices left.

Everyone bantered while cleaning up.

Jungah tied the garbage together and looked around. Someone was missing. *Zico.* Jungah went into the living room. Taeil was showing Kris a game on his phone while P.O. and U-Kwon instructed him how to play it.

*Where did Zico go?* Jungah spotted a figure on the veranda. She slid open the patio door and stepped outside.

Zico turned his head. “Oh, Jungie Jungie. You caught me cheating~ I was here while everyone else was cleaning~” He chuckled.

“What exactly are you doing out here?” Jungah asked.

Zico turned his gaze back to the sky full of shining stars, “Nothing really. Just enjoying the peace and quiet.” He leaned towards her and pointed beyond, “Do you see that star over there? It’s really big, isn’t it?”

Jungah turned her head and softly gazed at Zico. He directed his attention towards her and straightened up, “Wae? Is there something on my face?”

Jungah took a deep breath and touched her new lucky charm hanging from her neck, “I wanted to thank you again for your gift. I mean, I like everyone’s gifts…but I like yours the most.”

“Don’t let Kyung let you hear that. He’ll get upset.” Zico winked.

“But really…thank you.” Jungah softly murmured.

Zico softened. He reached out and tenderly curled a tendril of her hair behind her ear. Jungah lifted her chin up and gazed into his eyes. “You’ve grown up so much, Jungah.” Zico affectionately whispered. “You were just in middle school girl when your mom first brought you to my house. And now, look at you. You’re a beautiful young lady. Any man would be lucky to have you.” He ran the back of his fingers down her jaw.

Cheeks flushing warmly, she looked at the ground. *That man could never be you, can it, Woo Jiho?*

Zico searched her face. *I’m sorry that that man could never be me. I know. I’m a coward. But I’m happy just being able to watch you from afar. That’s how I will always love you, Jungah. From afar, yet my love for you will endure forever.*

--------

“Where’s the bathroom?” Kris asked.

“Down there.” U-Kwon pointed.

Kris got up and headed down the hallway. He opened a door and stopped. *This isn’t the bathroom.*

Kris turned to go but halted. He turned back around and stared at the photo frame on Zico’s nightstand. Kris knew he shouldn’t invade other people’s privacy, but there was someone in the picture who looked so familiar. He walked inside and slowly, carefully, dreadfully picked up the picture. His eyes rounded. Although the girl was younger, he recognized the flat, annoyed expression immediately.

*Jungah.*

His gaze shifted to the younger male. Obviously, it was Zico.

*Why does he have her picture by his bedside? It is jut because they are- or were, according to Jungah- stepsiblings?* Then an awful thought crossed his mind. *What is Zico was in love with Jungah the entire time but kept his feelings hidden all this time? If this is true and Jungah finds out, it is game over for me.* His face paled, and his knuckles sharpened in alarm.

A hand came out of nowhere and stole the picture from his grasp.

Kris turned around. Zico placed the photo back by his bedside. “Jungah was cute back then, too, huh? Even when she frowns she is adorable.” He chuckled.

Kris’s eyebrows slightly pinched together in the middle in worry. “You…”

Zico looked up at him. His eyes dared him to ask the impending question.

Kris swallowed hard. “Do you…by any chance…?”

Zico didn’t press him or switch the topic. He just patiently waited for Kris to say what was on his mind.

“Do you love Jungah?” Kris exhaled. *Please say no.* His insides churned uneasily.

Zico intrepidly looked into his eyes, “Yes, I do.”

Kris in his breath, and his fists tightened. *He loves Jungah?! Why didn’t he say anything all this time?! Does he know how much she is infatuated with him?!*

Then Zico finished, “Like I told you before, I am her brother. What kind of a brother doesn’t love his sister?”

Kris shot him a puzzled look. *Just as her brother? That’s it? But they’re really not related.*

Zico gazed at him, “I love her like family…but, you’re in love with Jungah, aren’t you?”

*How did he know?* Kris averted his gaze.

Zico softly smiled with a faraway look in his eyes, “Jungah means a lot to me. She’s the last family that I have left, and she is my best friend. If anything would happen to her, I wouldn’t be able to stand it.” He shifted his gaze back up to Kris, “So I should play the big brother act now, ri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter