CHAPTER 7 - In which we learn what is love

말해줘 내게 What is Love?

 

His heart feels as if it would beat its way out of his chest. Sehun put his right hand over it and breathed deeply to calm himself. He decided that today was the day he'll approach Luhan and end this rift between them. Well, he decided that yesterday and the day before was the day but he somehow always loses his nerve every time he walks through the Voice Department's entrance.

But this time he'll do it. He couldn't take not being able to talk to Luhan anymore. Sehun walked slowly towards Luhan's practice room. He was at the door when he heard two people talking. He took a peek inside the room and what he saw, and heard, broke his heart.

Minseok's back was to Sehun. He was sitting on a stool and infront of him was Luhan.

"Do I have it say it out loud?" Luhan asked.

"Of course." Minseok answered.

"I love you!" Luhan half-shouted the confession. Then he smiled. "That kinda felt good."

Sehun heard Minseok laugh as he left the scene. He left because he couldn't take it.

He told Chanyeol its okay if Luhan didn't love him back but what a lie that was. Sehun ran and went to the park swings. He thought he could find some sort of comfort there in his favorite place but he was wrong. All he could think about as he sat there were the times Luhan and him were together, laughing about everything and nothing. He remembered how he would tie the front of Luhan's bushy hair with a rubber band so it won't go to his face when he rides the swings. He can still remember the feel of Luhan's hand in his own as they held hands as they swung higher and higher.

What he said was true. There was a never a time since they met that he wasn't in love with Luhan. And Sehun wanted to cry for the fact that there was never a time that Luhan was in love with him, too. "I'm a lothser..." His lisp returned but then again, who cares?

 

 

"Explain to me again why you won't come." Jongin asked Sehun. His friends were all there at the Dance practice room B - Jongin, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol- and two of them were asking him such a stupid question.

"That's such a stupid question." Kyungsoo told Jongin with a raised eyebrow.

"Thank you." Sehun told Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo glared at him. "The right question is what are you doing here?"

"But isn't that the same thing?" Chanyeol asked the shorter guy.

"No, it isn't. We all know why Sehunnie won't come to the recital. But what I don't understand is why is he here? In this particular practice room. If he doesn't want to watch, why is he still in school? Why doesn't he get lost somewhere far away from here?"

Jongin and Chanyeol looked at Sehun. "He kind of makes sense." Chanyeol said pointing to Kyungsoo.

Sehun stopped his dancing and sighed. "I just came here to practice. That's all."

"No, you came here so you could listen to Luhan without anyone knowing it. It's no coincidence that the performance hall is just next door." Kyungsoo explained.

"How desperate does that make me?" Sehun said sadly.

"That doesn't make you desperate. That just shows how much you love the guy. No one's judging you." Jongin said. "But I'm sure Luhan will be happier if you'll be there to support him. You are his best friend after all."

Sehun just stood there, torn between going and not going. He really wanted to see Luhan in his final performance before he graduates. But it was just so painful.

"It's starting." Chanyeol said as he looked at his watch. "Well, if you ever change your mind just go there. We'll be near the front and we'll save a seat for you."

Before leaving, Kyungsoo said, "I was angry at Luhan at first because he rejected a great guy like you. I still believe that he'll regret it forever. But Jongin's right. We are his friends but no one's more special to him than you."

"I said something right? You hear that Chanyeol? Kyungsoo said I said something right!" Jongin laughed.

"That was a first and a last." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at Jongin. But Jongin didn't mind as he put his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder as they walked out of the room with Chanyeol.

Sehun slumped down the floor and sighed. He heard the musicians play and the people clap as the recital started. He stood up to change clothes. It really was no choice at all.

 

 

According to the program Sehun was holding, he was just in time for the main performance of the night. A duet between Luhan and a student named Jongdae. Sehun easily found his friends seating at the third row from the stage, he went to the empty seat but was dismayed to find who was seating at his left.

"Hello." Minseok greeted Sehun with a smile. "By the way, I'm Kim Minseok, Luhan's classmate."

"I'm Oh Sehun." Sehun said, smiling tightly. "You know me?"

"Of course. Luhan always talks about you."

"He never talked about you." Sehun lied, feeling a little petty. "Well, he did but not much." He couldn't really do it.

"I bet." Minseok smiled knowingly. Does he know how jealous Sehun feels?

"Aren't you supposed to sing too?"

"I was the first to sing. I just came here a bit to watch someone special perform. You're here because of that too, right?"

Sehun was saved from replying when the music started and the spotlight hit the two singers on the stage. One was a skinny guy, wearing a gray suit and what looked like a dead animal on his shoulder and the other was Luhan, looking all angelic in his white outfit. Sehun slid a glance at Minseok and he saw the other guy's eyes fixed on the stage and smiling lovingly.

He returned his gaze on the stage where it stayed as Luhan sang the first bars of the song.

I lost my mind, Noreul choeummannasseultte

I lost my mind, the moment I saw you

 

No hanappego modeungoseun Get in slow motion

Except you, everything gets in slow motion

 

Nege marhejwo ige sarangiramyon,

Tell me, if this is love

 

Meil geudewa, Sumaneun gamjong deureul lanwojugo bewogamyo

Sharing and learning countless emotions everyday with you

 

Ssaugo ulgo anajugo

Fighting, crying and hugging

 

Nege marhejwo ige sarangiramyon

Tell me, if this is love

 

Sehun felt the words of the song swirl in his head. When Luhan sang, everything really went in slow motion. But as the closing notes of the song was played, the spell was broken. Sehun prepared himself to stand up and leave when he saw Luhan go to the center of the stage and turned to his direction. Sehun couldn't move. What was Luhan doing?

Just then Luhan, who's blushing, put his arms up above his head and made a big heart shape. Then he said out loud: "I love you!"

The audience cheered and clapped. Sehun didn't hear them. Did Luhan just confess to him? But then he suddenly remembered who was sitting beside him. Sehun's heart broke all over again and he did what he should've done 30 seconds ago. He left.