CHAPTER 2 - In which we learn how to count

말해줘 내게 What is Love?

 

LuHan felt a hot blush starting from his neck climbing towards his scalp. He really can't take it but he couldn't look away either. Sehun was once again doing that dastardly thing of waiting for him at the building entrance and making a heart sign with his hands when he sees Luhan approach. Luhan can hear his classmates whispering and pointing at Sehun and so he hurried to him to stop him from embarassing himself, and LuHan, further.

"Sehunnie, what are you doing?"

"Luhan-ssi! Just came to pick you up as usual. Let's walk home together." Sehun said with a big smile.

Luhan felt a strong urge to say no but what came out was an "Okay."

That's actually his problem. Saying no to Sehun. He just can't. Everytime he starts to say it, he chokes on the word and ends up saying yes, all the time. Maybe its because of Sehun's earnest expression or Sehun's sweet puppy eyes (Yeah, he's a er for those) or whatever. He just can't say no.

"You know, our dance department is gonna have this big, really big, showcase and I'm gonna be in it! Cool, huh?" Sehun said excitedly as they were walking outside the university gates.

"That's great." Luhan said distractedly. Sehun had his arm linked to Luhan's. He kept on noticing people looking at them and whispering. Not bragging or anything but he really is one of the most popular guys in school. Always on top of his class and very talented to boot. He was dubbed the 'Angel' of the Voice Department in their performing arts school. Aside from his extraordinary good looks, the teachers say that he can bring the audience to tears when he sings. But he feels that it's not the reason why they kept looking in his direction today.

Luhan looked at Sehun. He just entered the university having passed the auditions last semester. He is quickly becoming popular because he really is a great dancer and he has high marks in the looks department as well with his milky white skin and soulful eyes. But Luhan knows it's not the reason for the attention, either. He knows it's because they're together.

They know Luhan has been confessed to a lot. And he has kindly rejected every one of them, saying that he's focusing on his studies and he has no time for relationships right now. But seeing as how he was always with Sehun, everyone will think that he was just saving himself for him. A younger guy - a freshie who is 3 years younger than him in age and atleast a decade younger in mind.

Luhan didn't want people to think that and he had already denied that they have a relationship more than a million times. But how will they believe him if Sehun shows up everyday, dogging his heels and acts as if.. as if they were a couple. Luhan's mind shied away from the thought. He was just a younger brother to him, right?

"Your school is great! I knew I was right to study here. Not only do I get to be with you, I also really get to dance!" Sehun beamed at Luhan.

"I told you that being with me shouldn't just be your only consideration in choosing a university. What if our programs really , what would've you done then?" Luhan tried to talk some sense into Sehun.

"Well, I wouldn't care so much. Atleast I get to walk home with you everyday, that's more important to me."

"You are... I give up." Luhan shook his head and flicked Sehun's nose with his fingers.

"Ouch? That hurts a bit this time." Sehun complained.

"That's the idea."

 

Luhan felt a lot older when he went into college. It might be the environment, the people or a change of priorities perhaps? It's like he entered a new world and he has to change or else he'll fall apart. The subjects were tougher, the training more rigorous. He became more serious with his plans for his future. He had assignments to do and the musical piece for the recital to practice so he was not really sure what he was doing with Sehun in the bubbletea shop as if he has all night to relax.

"I'm getting chocolate today, what'll be yours?" Sehun asked. Luhan already tasted all the flavors about a hundred times each.

"Just choose for me."

Sehun happily sauntered off to the counter to get their orders. Luhan sat at their regular table and sighed. A year ago, Sehun told him that he wanted to go to Luhan's school for college so that they can be together more often, atleast until Luhan graduates. Luhan had some doubts if going to the same school will be okay for them both. He knew that Sehun thinks he is in love with him, everybody knows it. He started confessing to Luhan since he was sixteen and he's now eighteen. He always treats it as a joke, but Luhan knew he couldn't take much more of it. Cause what if he lets down his guard? Total disaster.

Sehun's a great guy. Anyone will be lucky to have him as a boyfriend. But Luhan's never really taken him seriously and he's got a list of the reasons why:

1. Luhan is 3 years older. (That's reason enough for Luhan cause it automatically results to number 2)

2. Sehun is younger. (In a LOT of ways)

3. Sehun is grateful to Luhan (Gratefulness doesn't necessarily translates into love which brings them to 4)

4. What if Sehun grows up and realizes that he doesn't really love Luhan? (Then they will end up in number 5)

5. Luhan will be the one to end up heartbroken cause he had to admit, he's already more than halfway in love with Sehun. The real kind.

Luhan will repeat those reasons in his head again and again whenever Sehun does something that makes him fall for his friend more. And that's tough. The heart shape (which got bigger) that Sehun makes when they see each other embarrasses him, yes, but Luhan can't deny that that's what makes him love Sehun a little bit more each time. So Luhan has to learn how to shield himself against Sehun's charms. But that shield has been taking serious hits lately with Sehun going to the same school.

His thoughts were interrupted as his friend sat down beside him and placed the drink in front of him.

"Got you chocolate, too." Sehun said with a smile.

"Sehunnie, we have to talk." Luhan began. "I'll be busy with my recital for the next weeks and I don't think you should wait for me any longer. I might go home late and..." Luhan looked up to see Sehun's shoulders slump. Somehow he became reluctant to continue. Why was this so hard?

"How late will you be?"

"I'm not really sure."

Sehun leaned closer to Luhan. "You know that's so... Great!"

Luhan was surprised to hear Sehun laugh.

"I was actually going to say that I might not be able to walk home with you until my practice for the showcase ends. But now we can actually still go home together! It's awesome, right?"

Luhan felt himself nod. This was not really going his way. But he doesn't have the heart to try to dissuade Sehun, atleast not tonight. And he realized he felt better with the thought.