IQ Of A Goldfish

Scarlet Necklace

 

Prom day soon arrived. Hyosung and Minji tried asking Yejin out to go get their hair done and whatnot, but she found no reason to. Laziness was what her two friends would call it. The perk of not going out with those two was that she could sleep in. Prom didn't start until seven in the evening. As for her hair, she had her straightener and curler at home, as for her makeup, Heechul didn't exist for nothing. Around 5, she started getting ready. Yejin took out the dress and heels Hyunsoo and Heechul got for her birthday and threw them onto her bed while she showered. She put on a bathrobe  and dried her hair, deciding whether or not to do them in a soft waves which she chose to in the end. 

"Oppa! I need help!" She hollered. Almost instantly, Heechul came running. 

"What?" He asked with wide concerned eyes. 

"Help me with my makeup," Yejin sighed. Heechul immediately looked a little more relieved. He made his way over and casually grabbed the makeup kit from her. Within fifteen minutes, he had completely transformed his sister. Not into someone who looked like she dumped her face in makeup, but someone who can stun with just a smile. Heck she didn't even need to smile. 

"You're welcome," Heechul smirked and turned her to face the mirror. 

"How are you so good at this?" Yejin asked while studying herself. She had to admit, Heechul did a really good job.

"I watch and learn. I don't simply sleep when Baekhyun's getting his makeup done, unlike you," Heechul whispered the last two words.

"Shut up," Yejin rolled her eyes and stood up. "But thanks, it's because you know stuff like this that you still don't have a girlfriend."

"How dare you," Heechul's jaw dropped dramatically. "Just wait, I'll bring home someone prettier than you sooner or later."

"I'll be waiting~" She sang while she went to the bathroom with her dress. After changing, Heechul was no longer in her room. She wore a black coat that was about an inch longer than her dress to keep warm. She put her phone and cash into a matching shoulder bag before heading downstairs. 

"I called you a cab, it's cold out, riding my bike wouldn't be a good idea. Especially when you're wearing something thin," Heechul said while pouring himself a glass of water. 

"Okay," Yejin nodded and put on her heels. She sat and waited until the cab arrived. "Oppa."

"Mm?"

"Can you walk in with me? I wasn't feeling it earlier but I'm kinda nervous."

"But then I'll have to cab back because I'm too lazy to take a bus," Heechul sulked. 

"This is your baby sister's first high school prom. Show a little support will you," she cast him a sidelong glare. 

"Whose brother would apply makeup for them? Hmm? And applied it so well even," he retorted. 

"Fine," Yejin couldn't help but pout a little. 

"You're such a baby," Heechul rolled his eyes. Yejin ignored him and looked out the window to see the cab pull up right in front. 

"I'm leaving," she stood up and shot him one last look before walking out the front door. Heechul sighed and grabbed his phone and wallet that were sitting on the table before running out behind her. 

"Move in," Yejin blinked and scooted to the other side. 

"I thought you said you weren't coming?" Yejin looked down at his attire. "Why the hell did you not change? Do you know how unpresentable you look like right now? Pink sweatpants and a spongebob hoodie, really now?"

"Miss, where to?" The cabby asked, slightly annoyed. 

"Right, Kyeonggi High School please," Yejin sat back. 

"Isn't Baekhyun supposed to be with you now?" 

"I'm meeting him in school," she answered, casually looking out the window. Soon enough, they arrived at the school. From outside, there were pink, white and blue balloons forming a path towards the main entrance of the school. Heechul paid the driver and got out with her. 

"Can you please not act like we know each other," Yejin looked at her brother on disgust. Hearing that, Heechul threw an arm over her shoulder. 

"Hey sis, I think I'll come pick you up later, what do you think?" He announced loudly. Yejin wanted to dig a hole in the ground so she could crawl into and just die. 

"You have no idea how much I want to murder you right now but for the sake of not becoming an outcast in the school I'll save it for when we get home. So you better run before I decide to make your death a slow and painful one," Yejin threatened with gritted teeth. 

"Bye, have fun," Heechul left promptly. He knew better than to provoke her even more when she was using that voice on him. Yejin took deep breaths and calml walked in. 

"Yejin!" She halted at the familiar voice and turned towards its direction. Sehun ran faster and stopped beside her. "Can we walk in together? I'm feeling a little nervous."

"Oh thank god for you. I was scared too. Let's go," the two first years stuck closely together and walked towards the gym which had been nicely decorated to become the venue.

"The others aren't here yet?" Yejin asked.

"Not that I know," Sehun shook his head. "Suho hyung is probably in there already, I remember him tell me he'd be early."

"Alright, we should look for him."

"Isn't Baekhyun hyung supposed to be with you now?" He raised an eyebrow. 

"I didn't see him outside, I was hoping he'd be inside. Then again, if he was here, he'd text me," Yejin sighed and looked around. The two nervous first years entered the gym and began looking for their fatherly figure. 

"He's over there," Sehun pointed. 

"You guys are finally here!" Suho beamed happily. 

"When did you arrive?" Yejin asked while removing her coat. 

"Half an hour before this thing officially started," he smiled.

"Why so early?" 

Suho chuckled and shrugged. "Just felt like it. Kyungsoo went to get a drink, you guys should too.

"I'm sticking to you hyung," Sehun shook his head fervently.

"Well I'm gonna go pig out over there, see ya," Yejin headed over to the buffet table and scanned over the variety of food. She stopped at the plate of mini ham sandwiches and popped one into . She wasn't sure how many she'd eaten but she was definitely starting to zone out. 

"You're going to get fat of you eat the whole plate of it," a voice whispered beside her ear. 

Yejin shivered and turned around. "What took you so long?!"

"Sorry," Baekhyun smiled sheepishly. 

Yejin slowly lifted her hand felt his forehead. "So.. Bare."

"You're weird," he laughed softly and grabbed her hand. Yejin remained silent, afraid that she would speak her thoughts out loud. His hair was so freaking y, Baekhyun in a suit definitely made him a thousand times more handsome than he already was. And that hair, that y hair. 

"I like your hair. You should keep styling it like that," Yejin mumbled. 

"I like your dress. But you should remove the stockings, I like skin," he whispered back. 

"Creep," Yejin scoffed and went off without him. 

"Hey!" Baekhyun laughed. "I was kidding, wait for me."

When they got back to the group, Minji was busy taking pictures with her Polaroid. 

"Where'd you guys run off to again?" Hyosung questioned. 

"She was being selfish and eating the whole plate of sandwiches," Baekhyun jabbed his thumb towards her, making Yejin want to bite it. 

"Hey, I'll give you two a picture," Minji called them over. 

"Films are expensive, Ji. Why do you have so many to spare?" Yejin asked, walking over to her. 

"I won like, 10 packs in a lucky draw," Minji answered while she got her camera ready. "Baek, get over here."

"Oh, coming," Baekhyun left his conversation with Sehun and made his way over. 

"We get one each?" He asked and stood beside Yejin. 

"Yup. Because I'm that nice of a person," Minji smiled. "Okay, say kimchi."

They said nothing but smiled anyways. The camera flashed and the film came out. 

"One more," Minji snapped another picture and handed Baekhyun and Yejin one each. 

"I think I'll look stupid in the second one," Baekhyun said while they waited for the pictures to develop. 

"You always look stupid," Yejin shook her head.

"That's it, we're breaking up," Baekhyun crossed his arms and frowned. 

"Go 'head. I'm gonna find me an intelligent boyfriend," Yejin shrugged and walked off with her picture. 

"Hey, I'm smart too. I know three squared is six," Baekhyun jogged after her. 

"Please, even I know that," she rolled her eyes. 

"Guys," Suho called. They stop and turned to look at him. He gave them a look. "Three squared is nine."

Baekhyun and Yejin glanced at each other and laughed before saying at the same time, "this is why we're together."

"God. Not only are you two lazy, you both have an IQ of a goldfish," Suho made a face and walked away. "Don't reproduce, please."

"Go back to your textbook, hyung," Baekhyun teased and sat at one of the circular tables with her. 

"What's that?" Yejin pointed her fork at the two boxes filled with slips of paper.

"Must be the voting box. I think they closed voting already, probably just for show," Baekhyun answered and leaned back into his chair. "It's so stuffy and boring."

"I want to go home," Yejin did the same. "Oh gosh. I just remembered something."

"What? Did you leave something at home?"

"No. You're going to be a third year next year. Soon you'll be taking your SATs," she said. 

"Aww. You're saying you're going to miss me once I graduate," Baekhyun broke into a wide grin. 

Yejin raised her eyebrows. "As if. You don't even know whats three squared. I'm worried that you're not going to graduate."

"Oh, would you not curse me," Baekhyun clucked his tongue.

"You better graduate," Yejin told him firmly. 

"You lack faith in me," he brushed her off. 

"How do you expect me to have faith in you after what just happened?"

"Hey, you didn't know what three squared was too, okay," Baekhyun retorted. 

"Because I had faith in you!" Yejin groaned. 

"This is so upsetting," Baekhyun stood up.

"I'm just worried," Yejin stood too, and they exchanged heated glares. 

"Uh, bad timing?" Sehun mumbled with a platter of sushi

"Give me that," Yejin grumbled and took one for herself. 

"Little brat," Baekhyun snapped and took another. 

"Sheesh," Sehun sighed and left the platter on the table. 

"Let's take a walk," Yejin said. She pulled Baekhyun up and they left the auditorium. The hallways were dim, which made Yejin a little nervous, but Baekhyun's presence comforted her somewhat. 

"Oh, remember that?" Baekhyun pointed at a corner. 

"What?" Yejin looked after a moment's hesitation. "Oh. It's where you had your dramatic confession. I remember. 

"It wasn't dramatic. It was sweet," Baekhyun pouted. 

"No it wasn't. You sounded like you were on drugs," Yejin snickered as they walked over. 

"We should re-enact it," Baekhyun laughed and pushed her against the wall before she could reply. 

"Genlty, you pig," Yejin winced and rubbed her shoulder. Baekhyun simply smirked and placed hand over the wall behind her. 

"Is this dramatic enough for you?" He asked.

"Continue," Yejin stifled her laughter. 

"You are my soulmate! Marry me or I'll punch JR and then punch you!" Baekhyun tried to say it fiercely, but the goofy smile on his face wasn't helping much. Yejin pushed him away and laughed so hard she crumbled to the floor. Meanwhile, back in the gym. 

"And the winner for best dressed couple is... Kim Yejin and Byun Baekhyun!" Suho and the others clapped and cheered. But when they didn't come on stage, the applause died down. "Guys? Are you here?"

Everyone in the gym looked around but those two were nowhere near the gym. 

"Oh well. We'll pick another winner then," the dean shrugged. In the hallway, Baekhyun and Yejin finally calmed down enough to form coherent sentences. 

"You wanted to punch me if I rejected you?" Yejin took deep breaths. 

"I was thinking it," Baekhyun used his sleeve to wipe the tears away from his eyes.

"How could you?" Yejin asked while Baekhyun helped her up. When they got back to the gym, some people glanced at them and laughed. 

"Why's everybody staring at us as if we have poop on our faces or something?" Baekhyun asked. 

"You guys won best dressed award. And the prize was two new iPhones," Kai filled them in with a grin. 

"Your stupid walk cost me an iPhone!" Baekhyun yelled, making Yejin flinch and cover her ears. 

"I'll buy you a new one. I promise!" Yejin yelped and scrambled away. 

"Oh yeah? When? You get back here, I'm not done with you!" Baekhyun stormed after her. 

"Yejin's going to kill you if she finds out the prize was a five dollar coupon for any supermarket in Seoul," Suho came up beside Kai. 

"She can't kill me if Baekhyun kills her first," Kai smirked and clinked his glass of orange juice with Suho's. "Cheers to the happy couple."

 

Ah.. Sorry, the last chapter was my last pre-written chapter so I had to complete this one quickly. Here's Yejin's dress if you're curious. Baekhyun's hair is the one from Dream Concert. Yup.