Serious Talking... Then Gaming

Scarlet Necklace

 

It was finally the last week of school before winter break. Her parents and Hyunsoo had once again left for China. The current talk of the town now was prom on Friday. Girls were excitedly discussing what kind of dresses to wear and guys were busy trying to ask their crushes to be their dates. The most excited person about prom Yejin knew was Chanyeol, but that guy was excited over everything. It was her first high school prom, this being her first year and all, but she wasn’t feeling all that hyped up about it. She had pictured herself holed up in her room in the hoodie she had bought for herself and Baekhyun, sipping hot chocolate and watching sappy dramas. Baekhyun didn’t show signs of excitement either, everyone was making fun of them, calling them ‘lazy couple’.

“We should be romantic more often,” Yejin muttered. She was currently ditching PE class with the excuse of cramps while Baekhyun ditched class with the excuse of going to the bathroom. They were sitting on the bleachers, leaning against each other’s backs.

“I’m not in the mood to be romantic,” he answered.

“Neither am I,” Yejin stifled a yawn. “Is that why we’re the least cutesy couple in the school?”

“Probably. Maybe it’s because we haven’t been doing PDA in a while. Wanna come over after school? I just bought Wii sports so we can play together,” Baekhyun suggested.

“Is that your idea of romantic?” Yejin raised an eyebrow.

“As of now, yes.”

“Sounds good to me. You’re buying the junk food,” she smiled to herself and closed her eyes.

“Fat pig,” Baekhyun scowled. He was always the one feeding them. Yejin’s jaw dropped and she sat up, glaring daggers at him.

Oh no. You did not just call me that,” she ground her teeth in annoyance. Baekhyun mentally cursed himself out for upsetting her and struggled to think of ways to appease the dragon. He eventually stuck to his usual tactic, aegyo. Yejin faltered at his puppy eyes and cute little pout.

“Oh so you think aegyo solves everything now huh?”

“I’ll buy you chocolate, I know you like chocolate,” Baekhyun smiled, seeing how he already won the battle.

“Go away,” her eyes narrowed into slits as she used pushed him away with her feet.

“I’ll see you later then,” Baekhyun laughed and patted her cheek before leaving the gym. PE period soon ended and they were back in class for the remainder of the school day.

“Are you going to prom with Baekhyun?” Hyosung asked.

“Do you really need to ask?” Minji rolled her eyes. “Then again they’re not called lazy couple for nothing, maybe they’re both ditching.”

“Stupid piece of meat can go to prom by himself for all I care,” she scowled and crossed her arms.

~~

School ended for the day and Baekhyun was already waiting for her by the door. She noticed and purposely took her time to pack so he had to wait longer for her.

“Do you really have to be so childish?” Baekhyun groaned and walked in. The class was now empty and she hadn’t even finished packing.

“I thought you already knew that I’m a childish fat pig,” she grumbled and shoved her pencil case into her bag with more force than needed.

“Aww come on. I was joking!” He clung onto her arm and pouted.

“Don’t make me bite you. I will,” Yejin sent him a sidelong glare.

“I’ll be your servant for the rest of the day, okay?” Baekhyun offered. That seemed to have calmed her down a little.

“You’ll do anything I tell you to?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Mhm,” Baekhyun nodded with more hope.

“You promised,” Yejin held out her pinky finger for him to seal the deal.

“Hurry pack so we can go,” Baekhyun, now smiling, simply dumped the rest of her stuff inside before dragging her off.

“To the convenience store!” Yejin announced with her fist in the air. They took a bus to his place and walked to the nearest store. Yejin made him grab a basket and started dumping random junk food into it.

“Do we really need that much?” He sighed at the mountain of assorted snacks. One warning glare from her made him zip his mouth instantly.

“You had a lot of jobs recently, I’m sure those paychecks didn’t disappear into thin air.”

“Fine, fine,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes and continued to trail after her like a lost puppy. Once shopping was done, they headed back up to his apartment. Yejin headed straight for the couch and comfortably parked herself there as if the house was hers. Baekhyun smiled to himself and sat beside her, massaging her ankles.

“Is my queen happy now?”

“Oppa,” Yejin called out.

“Mm?”

“Am I really that fat?” She suddenly asked. Baekhyun was taken aback by her question. He always found her on the thin side, too thin actually. Having such thoughts even though he called her fat as a joke was something he’d never believe.

“Fat or thin, you’re perfect to me,” He answered gently.

“What if I suddenly get fat? Would you ditch me?” Baekhyun met with her childlike eyes and his lips curved into a smile.

"I'll get just as fat and we can roll around together, how 'bout that?"

"You're unbelievable," Yejin rolled her eyes with a groan.

"What? I'm being honest," he laughe and slapped her ankle. One moment they could be mortal enemies, always bickering, always picking on each other. Then the next they could be all loving and sweet. This was something Baekhyun loved. No matter how much they fought, at the end of the day, they knew their love was strong and would never fade.

“Can I ask you something?” Baekhyun started off.

“You already did,” she snickered.

“I’m being serious,” Baekhyun gently slapped her leg.

“Okay, what?” Yejin laughed and waited for him to ask.

“What does it feel like to be surrounded by people who love you all the time?” Her smile faltered as she studied his expression.

“Why would you ask that?” Yejin sat up, her eyebrows pinched together in concern.

“Whenever I walk the streets, those happy families seem to be the only people I see walking around. I wonder, if my parents were still alive, would I be that happy too?” He slowly lifted his eyes from the floor to meet hers. Yejin’s mind went blank for a second.

“But you are surrounded by people who love you. Suho, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Kai and Sehun? Aren’t they people who love you too?”

“I mean, they’re like brothers to me, but it’s just not the same, you know?”

“Do you think they’d feel good hearing that their best friend thinks this way? They care for you, they love you and if I were you, that would be enough for me. Of course, I’d miss my parents dearly and I want to have both my parents and friends by my side. But sometimes, Baekhyun, you can’t have the best of both worlds,” Yejin gently squeezed his hand. Baekhyun remained quiet. “So you’re saying my love for you isn’t enough?”

“No! That’s not what I mean,” Baekhyun quickly defended.

Yejin smiled. “I was kidding. But is that what’s been bothering you lately?”

Baekhyun nodded.

“I’m sorry,” she said softly.

“What for?”

“Because I can’t give you the best advice or make you feel better,” Yejin glumly looked down.

“Hey, that’s not true,” Baekhyun pulled her closer and wrapped his arms around her waist. "But what's with this gloomy atmosphere."

“You started it!” Yejin laughed and slapped his knee.

“Hey that hurt."

“Wimp.”

Baekhyun gasped. “Take that back.”

“Take what back? That you’re a wimp?” Yejin smirked.

Baekhyun’s jaw dropped. “Yah. You seem to forget that I’m older than you.”

“And so?” Yejin raised an eyebrow. Baekhyun shot her a brief glare and climbed on top of her.

“You,” his eyes narrowed into slits. “You owe me an apology kiss.”

No,” she snapped.

“I’m just gonna have to do it the hard way,” Yejin swallowed, waiting to see what his ‘hard way’ was. Now that she thought of it, he actually looked really y from this angle. All thoughts were immediately dismissed as he suddenly tickled her sides, making her jump violently and burst into a fit of girly giggles that she normally wouldn’t have let escape .

“S- Stop.. Before… I k-kick you,” she said between her laughter.

“Apology kiss then,” Baekhyun answered stubbornly.

“O- Okay,” Yejin finally surrendered. He stopped with his tickling and she finally could breathe properly.

“I’m waiting,” Baekhyun reminded.

“You’re such a kid sometimes, you know?” She smiled softly and ran her fingers through his hair.

“That’s why you like me isn’t it,” he chuckled.

“That’s right,” Yejin leaned up and softly kissed the corner of his lips. “Happy now?”

“Very,” Baekhyun nodded and got up. “Hurry up, I want to beat your in tennis.”

“As if you could ever win me,” Yejin rolled her eyes as they set up the consoles together.

~~

It was around evening when they arrived at her doorstep. They had spend the entire afternoon bickering and playing around.

“You’re my date for prom, you know that already right?” Baekhyun asked.

“Mhm,” she nodded and keyed in the passcode.

“What are you wearing? It better not be some revealing tube dress or something. I’ll kill you,” Baekhyun warned while playing with the locks of her hair.

“Obviously not. I don’t know too, maybe the dress oppa bought me,” Yejin pushed the door open. “Wanna come in?”

“No, I’m sick of seeing your face. Bye kid,” Baekhyun fought to keep his laughter in at her dumbfounded expression. He quickly turned and walked away before she could literally murder him at her doorstep. He walked a few steps before he heard the door slam shut angrily.

“Yejin! Dinner!” Heechul demanded from his room.

“Order your own damn takeout, you brat!” She snapped and slammed her room door shut.