One year closer to death

Scarlet Necklace

 

It was mid November which meant the start of the winter season. The weather was a little chilly, which meant time for comfy hoodies, cute beanies and knitted sweaters from grandma! Kidding about the grandma part. Yejin and Baekhyun both loved the winter season, though it was cold, having snowball fights was better than sweating your off during the summer. They never had a serious fight ever since the short break up they had. If you don't count the petty child's arguement that Jokwon and Ga-in always had, everything was pleasant. But we all know good things don't last forever. The end of the year brought the End of Year Examinations which were every student's nightmare. Everyday was just study until you drop. Everyone was stressed and cranky, Yejin's good mood didn't help much. 

"Let's go for lunch together," Baekhyun suggested. It had been a while since they last went on a date, the couple had to admit, they were slowly drifting apart.

"Can't. I'm meeting Minji right after school," Yejin answered, irritatedly canceling out her mistakes on her paper. 

"To do what?" Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. 

"To study! If not go party?" Yejin snapped. He flinched at her outburst but it was understandable. 

"Then some other day," he muttered and left her classroom. Yejin looked up and watched him leave before frustratedly putting her pen down. She knew she shouldn't have snapped at him like that, but really, it was never in purpose. A deep sigh escaped as she picked up her pen again and continued with her work. Yejin would have to talk to him again later. 

Baekhyun went back to the cafeteria where all the others were. Half of them had really horrible eye bags from the late night studying. It was expected, the exams were in barely a week's time. Baekhyun couldn't help but feel a little upset about just now, he was a sensitive person after all. He did snap at her once or twice before, she wasn't the only one. But still, it bugged him a lot. 

"What should we do for Yejin's birthday?" Hyosung asked. She was one of the few who didn't have bags under their eyes since she was born a genius. Studying? Psh. 

"We should cake her. She will explode I tell you," Kai continued. To be honest, Baekhyun kinda forgot about her birthday..  He sure as hell wouldn't be admitting that out loud.

"If the first paper is on the 21st, our last paper is on the 30th, which is her birthday," Minji reminded. "We can only cake her after the papers end, how are we gonna hide the cake?"

"We'll figure it out when the date gets nearer. For now, the exams are our top priority, even for Yejin," Suho concluded the whole topic. Everyone else nodded in agreement. 

~~

Finally.

Yejin sighed contentedly as the teacher dismissed all of them after the last test paper was collected and accounted for. Everyone else was chatting about what they would do and where to go now that the exams were over and they were free. Baekhyun already bought the cake and started setting everything up as soon as his classmates had left the classroom. But Yejin's first objective was to look for him and go on a much deserved date together. 

"Yejin! Follow me," Minji grabbed one arm and Hyosung took the other before they dragged her to the vending machine for a drink to stall time. 

"What should I get.." Hyosung purposely dragged time on. 

"I want a coke, buy it for me since it's my birthday and you two misers didn't even get me anything," Yejin took a seat at the bench beside the machine. While the other two tried their best to keep her busy until the all-clear text from Suho was sent, JR's class just got dismissed. 

"Oi," Ren playfully called. 

"Hello, Ren," Yejin rolled her eyes. 

"Happy birthday, sorry I didn't get you anything so here's my love," Ren blew her a kiss while she grabbed it with her hand and threw it back to him. 

"Heeeey, that's not very nice," Ren pouted. 

"Shut up. Where's Jonghyun?" She asked, scanning the place for her friend. 

"Looking for me already?" JR appeared leaning on the doorframe of his classroom.

"Hey hotstuff," Yejin shot him a greasy look. 

"Ugh, still didn't change," JR shook his head and handed her a paper bag. "Here, your birthday present. Happy birthday."

"Aww, you actually got me something," Yejin smiled and gratefully took the bag while giving her two friends still standing in front of the vending machine a look. "Thanks for the present, it's so nice that somebody actually got me something.

"Dammit, just wait until we smear her face with whipped cream," Hyosung grumbled just as Minji's pocket vibrated. She opened the message and gave Hyosung an affirmative nod. 

"Okay birthday girl, let's go look for your Baekhyun, he's in class," Minji said. 

"Finally," Yejin rolled her eyes and bid JR and Ren goodbye before going to look for him. She approached his class and twisted the doorknob. As soon as she stepped in, party poppers exploded around her while the six grown males were wearing Pororo party hats erupted into a deep and husky birthday song. Sehun creeped up behind her and put on one of the party hats for her, accidentally letting go of the elastic band that snapped her skin. 

"Ouch, Oh Sehun!" Yejin shot him a glare. Sehun quickly ducked behind Chanyeol.

"Make a wish, eighteen year old!" Chanyeol held the cake out for her. 

I wish that mom and dad, Hyunsoo and Heechul oppa will be happy. Also for all my friend to be happy and that Baekhyun and I will keep going on strong. 

Yejin opened her eyes and blew out her candles. Within a heartbeat, Minji and Hyosung grabbed her arms back while Kai hastily removed the candles. 

"Happy birthday!" Chanyeol chortled and smashed the cake into her face. 

"YOU ARE ALL DEAD I TELL YOU, DEAD," Yejin broke free and forcefully grabbed Sehun and smeared all the cream on her cheek onto his face. "Alright, who's next?!"

Instead of running away and being afraid of the horrible things she could do to them, all eight took out their cellphones and snapped pictures of her left and right.

"Ugh, I hate all of you, seriously," she went over to the table and wiped everything off with a napkin. "Fess up, who's idea was this."

All fingers were pointed to Kai.

"You," Yejin narrowed her eyes but smiled after. "Thanks, I've actually never had anyone throw a surprise party for me."

"What a loser," Kai jokingly clucked his tongue. "Congratulations on becoming one year closer to death, though."

"I'm trying to be emotional here, oh god someone slap him for me," Yejin groaned. "Ugh, I'm going to get pimples because of this. I'll go wash my face."

While she left, the others pulled out whatever gifts they got for her from under the table. Yejin came back five minutes later and broke into a wide grin at the sight. 

"You guys are making it hard for me not to cry! I hate all of you!" Yejin took deep breaths to calm herself down. 

"Don't cry, you idiot," Baekhyun smiled. After receiving all her presents, the others left after cleaning up, leaving the two alone. 

"Let's go, I'll take this," Baekhyun took half her load and they left the school together. A cold gust of wind stung their cheeks as soon as they stepped out, making them shiver slightly. 

"Are you wearing anything else inside?" He asked. 

Yejin shook her head. "Too lazy."

Baekhyun gently pushed her head to the side. "Can you please take care of yourself? What of you get hypothermia or something?"

"It's not even snowing yet and the temperature's not even below ten degrees celsius," she stated flatly. "And stop pushing my head."

"Why? You hate it?" Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. 

"Well I don't hate it.." Yejin muttered. "You're pushing my meager amount of intelligence out."

"Glad you know you have an IQ of a brick," Baekhyun snickered. 

"I have such a wonderful boyfriend," Yejin smiled up at him. 

"Stop smiling like that," Baekhyun glanced at her briefly before tearing his eyes away. 

"Why? I can't smile on my birthday?"

"Not that."

"You hate it?" She asked in the same tone he did earlier. 

"Yes I hate it so much that I have to kiss you in public to get rid of that smile," Baekhyun answered.

"I will kick you where the sun don't shine if you do it. You know I'm not kidding," Yejin gave him a sidelong glare. 

"Your loss, not mine," Baekhyun simply shrugged. 

"Why's that?"

"No babies for you," he gave her a pointed look. 

"I hate babies anyways," Yejin scowled and turned away.