Who's That?

Scarlet Necklace

 

“What’s with Jung Hana? Doesn’t she know that he’s already got a girlfriend? Gosh, poor Yejin,” Yejin’s ears perked up at her name and she turned to look at the two girls.

“I know right? I feel so bad for Yejin. Just because she’s rich. Ugh, hate people like her,” the other said.

Jung Hana? What's she doing with him again?

Her question was immediately answered when she caught sight of Baekhyun and the same second year walking towards her direction.

“Look. She’s at it again,” the same two girls stared at Baekhyun and Hana. Yejin was a bit bothered by her clinging to Baekhyun the whole week. Why didn’t that girl stick to him before Baekhyun and her started dating? Why now?

Hana let out a surprised squeak when accidentally stepped on her undone shoelace and almost fell. Baekhyun flinched and instinctively caught her before she fell to floor.

“You okay?” Baekhyun helped straighten her up.

“Yeah. Thanks,” she nodded. The two girls gossiping about Hana left first and Yejin decided to eavesdrop on Baekhyun and Hana’s conversation for a while.

“So about what I asked you earlier..” Hana started off.

“I don’t know. I feel like I’m doing Yejin wrong,” she recognized Baekhyun’s voice.

“She doesn’t have to know.”

“Okay. But make sure nobody finds out about us.”

“Don’t worry.”

I didn’t see anything, I didn’t hear anything.

Yejin turned and walked the other direction, a million thoughts flooding her mind. She didn’t even go to the bathroom like she had planned to in the first place. Baekhyun caught sight of her familiar back view and happily called out to her.

“Yejin ah!” She stopped in her tracks and turned to face him. Baekhyun left Hana behind and ran towards her.

“Ice cream together after school?” He suggested.

“S- Sure,” Yejin nodded and turned to leave.

I trust Baekhyun. He wouldn't do this to me... Right?

~~

Baekhyun and Yejin met by her locker as usual and headed out together.

“The company’s having a party Saturday night..” Baekhyun started off. They were at Ben n Jerry’s for ice cream.

“Isn’t that tomorrow? What’s the occasion?” Yejin asked, focused on her mint chocolate chip ice cream.

“Just a little company function,” Baekhyun shrugged .

“Oh really?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Come with me,” he smiled.

“Heechul oppa would be there, right?” Baekhyun nodded.

“I already asked them whether I could bring a friend. They said yes. Please, please?” He pouted.

“How can I say no when you pout like that,” Yejin laughed. “Is it formal?”

“Not exactly. Just don’t come in like a hoodie and shorts or something,” Baekhyun suggested and ate his ice cream.

“Mm okay,” Yejin nodded and casually wiped the ice cream on the corner of his lips.

“You should’ve kissed me like in the dramas where the boy kisses the girl when she has cream on her lips!” Baekhyun huffed.

“Like you said, the guy is supposed to kiss her. Not the other way round. Besides, we’re not in a drama, it’s not even cream, it’s ice cream and I hate—” Her words were cut off by a sweet kiss on the lips from him.

“Cheesy stuff. I know,” he smiled. “That’s why I like to do it even more.”

“Aish. You,” Yejin rolled her eyes but didn’t hide her joy.

“Ready to go?”

“Yup,” they stood up and left the ice cream parlor and headed to the nearest bus stop in comfortable silence.

“It’s been a while since we went out together,” Baekhyun started off.

“Mm,” Yejin mumbled absentmindedly.

“Are you a stupid girl with lots of fears and is extremely short?” Baekhyun tested her.

“Mhm,” she blankly stared ahead. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and flicked her forehead to bring her mind back to earth. “Ow! Idiot.”

“You’re not paying attention!” He said, a little on the whiny side.

“Sorry,” Yejin muttered. “What were you saying again?”

“Not important for now. What were you thinking so hard about that you can’t even pay attention to me?” He asked.

“Nothing! Just.. Spaced out,” Yejin fibbed, playing with the straps of her backpack.

“Fine. I was saying, we haven’t been on a date for a while. How about Sunday? We can shop, I still have money left over from the prize, and then dinner?” He suggested.

“Boring. But okay,” Yejin shrugged. Baekhyun sent her to her doorstep and left on his own.

“I’m home,” she called out while removing her shoes.

“I overheard Baekhyun asking whether he could take a friend in the office. Is that friend you?” Heechul asked from the kitchen.

“Yeah,” she answered, heading upstairs.

“Coming with us?”

“Yep,” Yejin answered once more and went to shower.

~~

Saturday evening came soon enough. The siblings were in the middle of preparing for the event. Though it wasn’t exactly something formal, it’s still rude in a way to come dressed too casually.

“Have you seen my socks I bought from Dongdaemun anywhere?” Heechul yelled.

“Even if I did, you have so many pairs of identical ones. Just wear what you find,” Yejin rolled her eyes.

“But those socks are comfy!”

“If you take too long I’m just going to leave without you.”

“Nooooooo,” Heechul whined. “Okay, I’ll just wear whatever!”

Yejin ended waiting for Heechul to be done. Usually, the girl takes a longer time. Yejin did take quite a bit of time to dress up, but if you’re talking about Kim Heechul, he’d be the one to take forever to dress up. When he did come down, he inspected Yejin’s outfit.

“Skirt’s too short, change,” Heechul said simply.

“Shut up, let’s just go,” Yejin rolled her eyes and left the house with him trailing behind.

“The weather’s nice! Let’s just walk there,” Heechul suggested. Yejin shrugged and went with what he said. Fifteen minutes later, they arrived at the company’s function room. She was a little worried that her outfit was too much, but luckily there were others who were more.. Outstanding. It wasn’t some fancy high class event or anything, just a normal party.

“That’s my boss,” Heechul whispered, pointing to Jungsoo.

“He looks the same age as you are. Look at the difference between you two,” Yejin playfully shook her head.

“Shut up. We’ve been friends since middle school,” he said. Heechul pulled her over to say hi. Instead of boring formal handshakes, Heechul blatantly went up to him and tapped his shoulder with his index finger ready to poke his cheek when he turned.

“Not falling for it, Heechul,” Jungsoo said flatly. Yejin snickered quietly beside him.

“Aish,” Heechul grumbled. Jungsoo turned and gently patted his cheek.

“Your date?” He pointed at Yejin.

Mine, actually,” Baekhyun showed up beside her and casually held her waist.

“Not in front of me!” Heechul exclaimed and wedged himself between them.

“Don’t be an idiot, Chul. Give them some space. You can go hang out with Jinhee,” Jungsoo nodded at the receptionist that’s been flirting with Heechul ever since he started working here.

“Ew, no,” he made a disgusted face.

“Or you can hang out with me,” Jungsoo smiled greasily and dragged Heechul away.

“Cool boss,” Yejin nodded approvingly.

“I know,” Baekhyun smiled and took her hand in his. “Come on, there’s food over there.”

They walked over to the refreshment table. While Yejin was getting them a cup of fruit punch each, Baekhyun received a text message.

From Hana:
I’ll see you tomorrow then. Thanks a lot.

“Who’s that?” Yejin asked casually and handed the plastic cup to him, wondering why his expression darkened.

“Just a classmate,” Baekhyun smiled reassuringly and kept his phone.

"Oh really?" Yejin cast him a skeptical look.

"Yes," he chuckled and slung an arm around her shoulder. The party ended around 9 and Heechul decided to go out for a few more drinks with Jungsoo and his other friends. Baekhyun and Yejin left the office and he walked her back.

“I can only make it for dinner tomorrow," Baekhyun said.

"How come?"

"My cousin's having her 9th birthday party tomorrow afternoon, I kinda have to be present," he explained, feelinga pang of guilt within.

"Alright, wish her happy birthday for me," Yejin smiled.

"Of course. I'll see you at COEX around.. 7?"

"Sounds good," she nodded and hugged his arm as they walked home.

Forgive me, Yejin.