Squad

Scarlet Necklace

 

“I’ll be back Saturday afternoon, or night. But Saturday. See ya, oppa,” Yejin put on her shoes and left the house. The walk to the bus stop where they’d meet was short. Seeing he wasn’t here yet, she sat one of the empty seats and waited.

“Guess who~” Baekhyun covered her eyes.

“Bacon Prince,” she smiled and removed his hands.

“Heh,” he climbed over from behind and sat beside her.

“You know the way, right?” Yejin rolled up her earpiece and put it into her bag.

“Nope,” Baekhyun shook his head. Yejin slowly looked up at him with mouth slightly open. “Kidding. Obviously I know the way.”

“Haha. Very funny,” Yejin rolled her eyes and continued to zip her bag up. Their bus came and they sat way at the back. It was going to be a half hour ride, so Baekhyun pulled out his iPod and earpiece so they could share.

“Brace yourself,” Baekhyun said softly as he held her hand. “The never ending session will start as soon as we arrive.”

“Chh. Doesn’t bother me,” Yejin smiled and closed her eyes.

~~

“Suho-ho-ho hyung!” Baekhyun greeted happily.

“Late, late, late!” Suho pointed at the two of them.

“It’s 7.53, not late,” Yejin rolled her eyes and went to steal Sehun’s kimbap while he wasn’t looking.

“Who’s not here yet?” Baekhyun plopped himself on the couch and scanned the place.

“Kyungsoo, Minji and Kai,” Suho passed him a can of soda. “Go change into your heart print pjs.”

“For the last time, I do not wear pjs with hearts printed on them. The last time was an accident, I couldn’t see in the dark so I just grabbed whatever I could,” Baekhyun scoffed.

“Doesn’t change the fact that you own a set,” Chanyeol joined the conversation.

“Really, Yeol? Palm trees?” Baekhyun rolled his eyes at his ridiculous choice of clothes.

“Kai gave it to me for my birthday, don’t be dissing something as precious as this,” Chanyeol pouted and continued stuffing his face with Oreos. The six who were already here (minus D.O, Kai and Minji) decided to punish the last person to arrive.

“Add more salt,” Sehun urged.

“Vinegar too!” Chanyeol suggested.

“Guys, I know what I’m doing,” Yejin sighed in frustration. She was in charge of making the deadly concoction of soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper into the plastic cup of coke. Once done, Sehun put it on the coffee table so the unlucky chosen one would just grab it without suspicion. They warned everyone else who was already here not to take it, if they did then too bad for them. D.O and Minji escaped punishment by arriving first and second respectively and were informed of their evil plan. Their sacrificial lamb was Kai.

“What took you so long?” D.O asked innocently as he opened the door for Kai.

“I swear I took time to prepare, I just always end up late everytime!” Kai sighed and parked himself on the couch. “Oh, is the coke for me?”

“Yep,” Yejin nodded. Kai smiled and reached out to take the cup. To avoid suspicion, Chanyeol was also drinking from another cup.

“It smells funny,” Kai said.

“It does?” Baekhyun leaned over and sniffed it. He nearly gagged from the smell but shook his head. “It smells fine.”

Kai shrugged and took a big gulp. The others cracked up at his scrunched up expression. He got up and ran to the kitchen before spitting it out at the sink and rinsing his mouth over a thousand times.

“Yah! I barely stayed here for five minutes and you guys do this to me,” Kai said and grabbed the bag of barbecue flavored chips to rid the taste.

“Who told you to be late,” Suho sighed in content. Soon, they all gathered in the living room and Kai had somewhat simmered down.

“Okay so we’re gonna play a game. Loser can pick two other people to make food for the rest of us. Any suggestions?”

“Let’s just settle this like adults,” Yejin said. Within a heartbeat, they were huddled together to play scissors, paper, stone.

D.O, Hyosung and Suho escaped from punishment in the first round. Sehun, Chanyeol and Baekhyun in the third and Yejin in the fourth. It was now down to Minji and Kai.

“Kai, it’s not your day!” Yejin chortled when Minji put out rock and and he put out scissors.

“Aish!” Kai frustratedly punched the pillow. “Alright, I get to pick two people.”

The room immediately turned silent.

“Who came up with the idea of punishment?” He smirked and scanned their nervous faces. All of them pointed at Suho.

“Yejin made your poison, though,” Suho casually pointed out, earning a slap on the back from her.

“Yejin, let’s have fun cooking together,” Kai smiled.

“Ugh. Suho oppa!” Yejin scowled and hit him with the cushion.

“I volunteer as tribute!” Baekhyun raised his hand.

“Haha, so I can be the odd one out? No way,” Kai stuck his tongue out. “Suho hyung.”

Those who weren’t picked cheered and dispersed to play with the different game consoles lying around.

“It’s so hot and I hafta slave over the hot grill,” Yejin shot a sidelong glare to Kai.

“We can bond,” Kai slung an arm over her shoulder as they walked to the backyard with Suho lugging all the barbecue tools out by himself.

“Come on, gramps, I'll help,” Yejin shrugged Kai’s arm off and went back to take the grills from Suho.

“Appreciate the help. But I’m not all that old to be called gramps,” Suho pouted. “Kkamjong! Aren’t you gonna help?!”

“Oh right!” Kai scrambled back and took the bags of charcoal. The three spent the next half hour huddled over the barbecue pit, trying to start a fire.

“Come on, baby..” Kai muttered, using his hand to make sure the tiny flame wouldn’t go out.

“Finally!” Yejin wiped the sweat off her forehead when the flame begin to get bigger.

“Is anything done yet?” Sehun called from the sliding glass door.

"Yes, we got the fire started," Yejin brought over the grill and placed it over the pit.

"Only?" He pouted.

"Wanna help then?" Kai raised an eyebrow.

"Nope," he disappeared into the house in a flash.

"Are your parents like on a holiday or something?" Yejin asked while skewering the meat.

"Yeah. I told them that you guys were coming over, don't worry," Suho laughed while he fanned the flame.

"Hyung, do you have another pair of scissors?" Kai asked from the kitchen.

"Yes it's in the drawer all the way to the left," Suho answered back.

"I can't find it!"

Suho huffed. "Alright, I'm coming."

Yejin shook her head and took over fanning the flame for him. Her hand accidentally touched the grill while reaching over for another paper plate to speed up the fanning.

"Ah hot," Yejin blew on her finger.

"You okay?" Yejin looked up to see Baekhyun running over.

"How long were you watching me?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Just," he grinned and examined her finger.

"I'm fine, there's no blister whatsoever," Yejin smiled and handed him the paper plate. "Make yourself useful."

"You're useless, Kai. Is it really that hard to open the left drawer," the two came back bickering.

"How would I know if it's your left or my left," Kai huffed.

"Then open both! Hey! You two, separate!" Suho pointed at Yejin and Baekhyun.

"Chanyeol! They're trying to do PDA over here!" Kai called out. Almost instantly, Chanyeol and Sehun came running towards them shouting 'red alert'. He lifted Baekhyun up like a sack of rice and brought him back into the house. Yejin shot them both death glares before returning to her job.