The Ant Works All Day

The Ant and The Grasshopper

The hallways were bustling with students all eager to get to their classes in time. All the students how to appreciate being able to sitting in one of those chairs. Not everyone gets accepted into Yonsei University after all. And no one knew that better than a female student squeezing her way in between a crowd students. She kept her heavy textbooks close to her chest and mutter a small "excue me" as she made her way to the next class. She sat down near the front so she could see everything the professor was doing. 

"Hey Seohyun!" Seohyun turned around as two other girls sat next to her. It were her two close friends Tiffany and Taeyeon. Tiffany was the one that greeted her and Taeyeon just gave a friendly wave. "Sitting up front again?" The older girl smiled and Seohyun could see her eyes curve up.

"Um, yes Unnie... I like sitting in front so I can see the professor." Seohyun replied softly as she looked through some papers.

"Listen Seohyun-ah," Taeyeon affectionately said, "me and Fany are gonna go karaoke with some friends after school! Why don't you come along?" Taeyeon's face just begged for a yes.

"Sorry Unnie, I'd love to but there's a book that I have to read by the end of this month. Plus I need to study what we learned this week." Seohyun replied reluctantly as she saw the two girls' faces fall to disappointment. 

"Come on Seohyun, why don't you take a break? You already study 24/7, anymore and your youth will just fly by!" Tiffany said, adding a sweeping hand gesture for emphasis. "Your younger than us and I hate seeing you sending it in a dorm with your face in some notes or a textbook." Seohyun could hear the genuine concern in her friend's voice. But Seohyun knew that she couldn't fool off like her friends and classmates. She had worked very hard to get into this university and she wanted to make sure that she worked hard enough to meet its expectations. Besides, she can have fun after she graduated right? School should be spent studying to get good grades and if that means no free time, Seohyun decided a long time ago that that was fine.

"Don't bug her about it too much Fany..." Taeyeon put a small hand on Tiffany's shoulder.

"But Tae-" Tiffany tried to argue but Taeyeon had placed a finger on her lips. Tiffany knew that there was no arguing now. She let out a soft sigh. "Well... Maybe this is for the best..." By then the classroom had filled up and the professor started his lesson.

 

Seohyun walked home that day by herself, nose in a textbook. This was nothing new to the young college student. She walked into the dorm room where she saw a young girl and a young man sitting on one of the couches together. They were holding hands and seemed to be deep in conversation about something. As Seohyun came closer to get a drink from the water fountain near the couch, she could hear their "deep conversation."

"I love you baby." The girl said to her boyfriend, carressing his chest gently.

"No, I love you more. When your done with school why don't we rent a home together?" He asked as he the side of her hand with his thumb.

Seohyun felt her face heat up as she quickly left the scene, forgetting about her drink of water. "Wh-What are they talking about? B-Being so focused on a relationship while one of them is still in school!" Seohyun muttered to herslef as she made her way up the elevator and down the hall to her dorm room. "I mean, I want a boyfriend and all but... School has to come first right?" Seohyun pondered as she took out a key from her bag and opened the door. "Right, if I do good in school I can a get a good job and a good husband!" Seohyun smiled softly to herself as she walked into her empty dorm. She was home but more importantly, she needed to study.