The Birds and the Bees: Emotional and Burning Version 1

Jung Family One-shots

Yonghwa looked up from his work as he heard young voices outside the window. Little Hyunnie and Jonghoon were both out playing in the sun. Yong appa smiled fondly as he listened to their conversation.

"Doctor, doctor I am sick. Can you help me?" little Hyunnie said. Yong appa smiled widely as he imagined her acting like a patient.

"I'm a doctor," Jonghoonie said, sounding like a robot. Yonghwa grinned as he imagined himself teasing the little boy's father later.

"How can I help you?" the little boy continued.

Hyunnie made some sounds.

"My tummy aches, doctor. Please make the pain go away," the little girl said.

Yong appa nodded his head several times in approval. Wow, my little girl's got some skills, he said to himself proudly.

"Okay, I'll give you some medicine for that," the boy-doctor replied in his monotone.

"But first I need to give you a checkup," he continued. "Now take off your clothes--,"

Yonghwa shot up from his seat and ran to the window.

"Kids! Snack time!" he shouted as he opened the windows wider.

The two kids looked over at him as he frantically waved at him.

"But we're playing appa!" Hyunnie called out as little Jonghoonie took out his toy stethoscope and proceeded to put it inside her shirt..

"Jonghoooooon!!! Your appa's on his way here, come in for some cookies before you go home!" Yonghwa cried out as he jumped out the window, landing in some bushes below.

He landed cleanly on his , but he barely brushed off the leaves and dirt before he ran to the two kids under the huge tree in the yard.

"Let's go!" he said, trying to keep his tone light as he picked up the two kids, one in each arm, and walked into the house.

Yah, Jonghyun-ah! he muttered under his breath, as if sending a telepathic message to his friend. Get your over here!

¤ • ¤ • ¤ • ¤ • ¤ • ¤

Emotional drummed his fingers on the table. Burning tapped his foot on the floor, his knee striking the underside of the table. Both fathers waited for the other to speak first as they watched their kids eat their snacks.

Yonghwa rubbed a hand on his nape and closed his eyes as he tried to think of what to say.

"So kids!" he heard Jonghyun say.
"What were you playing before I got here?"

"I was the doctor appa!" Jonghoon answere as he dipped a cookie into his milk.

"Wow, a doctor! Good for you!" Jonghyun praised, ruffling his kid's hair.

"And I was the patient, uncle Jonghyun!" little Hyunnie piped up, biting into a cookie daintily.

"Awww, you were?" Yonghwa cooed as he pat the top of her head.

"SOooo...," Jonghyun said, then paused, not knowing what to say next. He shot a wide-eyed look at Yonghwa, motioning his head towards the little kids busy with their cookies.

"So kids! Why'd you choose to play that game?" Yonghwa asked lamely. He shrugged his shoulders at Jonghyun, who rolled his eyes at him.

"We were tired of playing Prince and Princess, uncle Yonghwa," Jonghoon answered.

"Appa, Jonghoonie's not a good prince, he doesn't have a white horse!" Hyunnie complained to her appa.

The two fathers looked at each other and tried to hold their laughter.

"Ahh, we'll try to get a horse for Jonghoonie, sweetie," Jonghyun answered the little girl sweetly.

"Uhmm what where you doing when you played doctor today?" Yonghwa suddenly injected into the conversation.

"I pretended to have a tummy ache, appa," Hyunnie said proudly, beaming at her father. Yonghwa couldn't help but smile back.

"I checked her tummy!" Jonghoonie answered in a loud voice, his hand raised up in the air.

"Ahh really?! That's my boy! I mean--," Jonghyun paused as he saw his hyung's glare. "How'd you check her tummy, son?"

"I had to open her clothes for that. But uncle Yonghwa called us, so I didn't get to check her tummy. Maybe later," Jonghoon said as he looked at Hyunnie and nodded his head.

Jonghyun covered his grin with a hand as Yonghwa raised a hand to his nape and closed his eyes.

"Ahh son, do you really have to open Hyunnie's clothes?" Jonghyun asked as he gave his boy another cookie.

"Of course appa, I'm a doctor, I have to see her tummy," the little boy replied confidently.

Yonghwa raised an eyebrow at the father. "But Jonghoonie, Hyunnie's a girl," he said.

"What's a girl?" the little boy asked, puzzled.

Jonghyun pointed to Hyunnie.

"She's a girl, son," he said.

"But that's Hyunnie," the boy answered back.

"But Hyunnie's a girl, and you're a boy," Yonghwa replied, pointing to each kid as he explained.

"Why is he a boy, while I'm a girl appa?" Hyunnie asked, her eyes wide in question.

Yonghwa struggled to figure out how to answer her.

"Well sweetie, you're pretty and he's not," he finally answered.

"I'm not pretty?!" Jonghoon suddenly whined, dropping his cookie on the table.

Jonghyun quickly picked it up and placed it on the platter, then proceeded to comfort his wailing son.

"Of course you're not pretty, son, coz you're handsome!" he decreed, mopping at his boy's tears.

"I'm not handsome?!" Hyunnie wailed in turn, and dropped her head into her appa's arms.

The two fathers were flabbergasted at the situation, and they didn't know what to do next.

Yonghwa then turned his little girl's face toward him and explained.

"Sweetheart, you're a girl, just like your omma. Jonghoon's a boy, just like appa. Girls are pretty, boys are handsome. Okay sweetie?" he said clearly, hoping the little girl understood.

The little girl finally nodded, and Yonghwa saw Jonghoon nod his head, too after his father whispered something in his ear.

"Appa, I think I know why Jonghoonie is a boy," Hyunnie said after gulping down her milk, a white mustache on her upper lip.

"What is it, sweetie?" Yonghwa asked as he wiped dry.

"It's because he has a thingy, right appa?" Hyunnie asked, again her eyes wide and bright.

Yonghwa froze and dropped the paper towel in his hand. He snapped his head towards Jonghyun, whose mouth was hanging open.

Dang. Where's Joohyun-ah when you need her?!

¤ • ¤ • ¤ • ¤ • ¤ • ¤

Seohyun paused in the hallway as she heard adult male voices from the dining room. She smiled as she imagined the two fathers taking care of the kids.

She grinned as she realized what was happening.

She covered to keep from laughing as she listened to the fathers' desperate attempts to explain.

She finally decided to save them.

"I'm home!" she called out as she entered the dining room, quickly swooping in to kiss her husband and baby.

"Finally!" Yonghwa cried out, followed by a big sigh of relief.

"Omma! I'm a girl, and Jonghoon's a boy!" Hyunnie shouted as she jumped in her seat.

"Ahh, really sweetie?! That's good!" Seohyun said excitedly, clapping her hands as she went to pick up her daughter.

"Yeobo, has she seen Jonghoon's--" Yonghwa looked at Jonghyun and his son before proceeding to whisper, "thingy?"

Seohyun grinned and pat her husband on the shoulder.

"Of course, yeobo! They've played together in the pool before, remember? They've seen each other--" she paused and whispered, "."

Jonghyun finally convulsed into laughter, surprising his son, who dropped his cookie again.

Yonghwa's eyes widened in shock, his jaw dropping.

Seohyun smirked as she turned around to leave the room.

"They're babies, yeobo! Just babies. You've got at least more than 10 years before you should be worrying about them seeing each other ," she called out before finally leaving through the doorway.

Yonghwa glared at Jonghyun, who was still laughing loudly as he wiped off crumbs from his son's face.

Yonghwa closed his eyes and rubbed a hand on his nape.

I hope Hyunnie stays a baby for a long, Long, LOOONNNGGG time...