Four Girls and a Boy

Jung Family One-shots

 

characters:
Jung Yonghwa - Appa, Yong choding, manager appa ;)
Seo Joohyun - Mrs. Jung, Omma




kids:
Hyun Ae (meaning "smart, clever, loving") - eldest unnie; smart, sweet and responsible (Hyun the 2nd) 10 y.o.
Hwa Young (meaning "beauty" and "flower) - twin set with He Ran; mischievous and boyish (Yong choding the 2nd) 5 y.o
He Ran (meaning "grace" and "orchid") - twin set with Hwa Young; shy, sweet and girly; total opposite of twin 5 y.o
Mee Yon (meaning "beauty" and "lotus blossom") - maknae; adorable baby
 10 mos. old



Very early morning...


"Yeobo, I'm leaving now," Seohyun said as she took out her car keys from her bag.

"Are you sure you don't need me to drive you over to the airport?" Yonghwa asked as he came out of the bedroom, pulling along Hyun's luggage.

"No, it's ok. I told you I'm carpooling with Yoona unnie. Besides, you can't leave the kids home alone," Seohyun said as she kissed Yong on the cheek.

"I can call Jungshin or Minhyuk over to watch over them for a while."

"It's ok yeobo. You and the kids can pick me up when we get back ok?" Hyun patted Yong's arm as they walked down the stairs. "Are you sure you'll be okay while I'm gone?"

"Come on, how hard can it be? Will YOU be okay while you're gone?" Yong asked, wriggling his eyebrows.

"Hmmm... maybe I shouldn't go?" Hyun started...

"Yeobo, we've talked about this a million times," Yong said, pulling his wife into his arms. "All the Soshi unnies are going, too, leaving their families. They need their maknae there. Go and enjoy that schedule, alright? Besides, it's Japan... We love Japan, remember? We'll be fine..."

"But..."

"Don't you trust your nampyeon?"

"Well..."

"Yah, Joohyun-ah!"

"Hihi, alright ALRIGHT. Should I wake them up before I leave?" Hyun said, hesitating.

"You've talked to them last night, remember? It's better this way, the baby might cry when she sees you before you go. Let them sleep."

"Aigoo.. Okay then. I left a list on the refrigerator door, just in case... you know..."

"Yah, Joohyun-ah, you're not the only parent here, you know..." Yong replied, pretending to be hurt.

"I know, I know, but it's your first time being alone with them all by yourself." Hyun answered.

"We'll manage." Yonghwa said, trying to keep a straight face.

"Fine. I can hear Yoona unnie's car outside. Promise me you'll call if something comes up," Hyun said, giving last minute instructions as they walked outside. "If it gets too much to handle, call your omma, or my omma, alright? No heroics, Yong."

"Arasso, arasso! Got it, SIR!" Yong saluted.

Yong helped Hyun into the car and waved until they were out of sight.

No heroics?! Bah... Dads were supposed to be Superman to their kids.

Rubbing his hands together, Yong locked the front gate and entered the house.

Let's do this.

***


Breakfast

"Appa, I want pancakes." Hyun Ae said as she entered the kitchen. She went to her appa directly and gave him a peck on the the cheek and a hug on the waist.

"Alright, little miss, pancakes coming up." Yong said as he pulled out a chair for his eldest daughter. Playing a waiter, he placed a towel over his left forearm and waved his right arm towards the table.

"While you graciously wait for your pancakes to be served, please feel free to choose among our wide array of cereals, ma'am."

Giggling, Hyunnie sat like a proper lady. "Thank you, sir. I'd also like to have some fresh fruits along with my pancakes and cereals."

Bowing 90 degrees, Yong continued with the act. "Your wish is my command, ma'am."

Loud running steps were suddenly heard before two little girls burst through the kitchen door.

"Pancakes! Pancakes! I want pancakes appa!" the twins cried out in unison. They ran to Yong appa and kissed his cheeks from opposite sides and hugged one leg each.

"Yes, yes, pancakes are coming! Settle down now. Hyunnie, give your sisters some cereals and milk please while I check on the baby."

Yong shook his head as he chuckled to himself on his way to the nursery upstairs.

This isn't too bad. Buin must have been exagerrating with all the worry.

Yah, this is Jung Yonghwa, musician extraordinaire, Super daddy to his kids.

***

"Appa, we'll be late for school. Finish your breakfast, please." Hyunnie reminded her dad.

"It's alright sweetie, I'll eat later. Just need to finish feeding little Mee-mee here," Yong replied as he tried to feed the baby.

"But appa, you have to eat. Omma always said we can't miss breakfast. You'll get sick." Hyun pleaded.

"Arasso, I promise I'll eat later after driving you to school, alright?" Yong said, to soothe his daughter.

"Promise? Pinkie-promise appa?" Hyun said, holding out her pinkie finger.

"Yes sweetie,  I promise." Yong said, sealing the deal with his own pinkie finger.

"Appa, appa I wanna go to school, too, appa, please?" Hwa Young called out.

"Me, too, appa, me too!" He Ran echoed her twin.

"Soon my babies, you'll go to school, too." Hopefully not too soon...

"Goo goo goo ga ga," little Mee Yon gurgled as she threw her spoon.

"Eeeeeehhhh Mee Yon-ah," Yong cried out as he picked the spoon off his hair.

"Appa, we gotta go, we can't be late for school!" Hyunnie said as she went off to get her bag.

"Alright, alright. He Ran, Hwa Young get into your coats and shoes. Everyone's going to school today," Yong instructed his daughters.

"Yahoo!" Hwa Young celebrated.

"We're just dropping off Hyunnie-unnie, pabo." He Ran told her twin.

"Come on girls, let's get into those coats," Hyunnie said, pulling along the twins to the front door.

"Thanks sweetie," Yong sighed with relief.

I'm starting to feel like SNSD's manager APPA. Why couldn't I have boys?

***

Car ride

"Seatbelts please girls," Yong instructed as he put on his seatbelt.

"Done, appa!" answered the three unnies. Yong chuckled to himself, so proud of his three mini-Seohyuns.

"Goo goo ga ga ga!" Mee Yon answered as well from her carseat.

"Appa HwaYoung keeps poking me!"

"Am Not!?!"  "Are TOO!?!"  The twins kept bickering from the backseat.

"Ah chincha, you want me to leave both of you home alone?!" Yong commanded, trying to keep order as he drove.

"Goo goo goo! Kyaaaaa!!!" MeeYon gurgled, seeing something outside the window.

"Appa Appa Appa!!! Can we go to McDonald's?! I want a hamburger!" HwaYoung begged.

"We just had breakfast Young-ah," answered Yong while keeping his eyes on the road.

"Omma's gonna get you, you know we can't eat hamburgers!?" Hyunnie said, turning from her seat in the front.

"Oh yeah, how'd you get a hamburger Young-ah?" Yong asked, looking at the rearview mirror.

"Jungshin chingoo!" He Ran answered for her twin.

Yah, Jungshin-ah, you can't pamper my kids like this. Seohyun will kill me, Yong thought, laughing inside. Kekeke, hamburgers...

"Ah, chincha, Appa! Young-ah is still poking me!"

"HwaYoung-ah!!!"

***

"Appa let's play," He Ran said as she peeked into the bathroom.

"Sure sweetie, just finishing MeeYon's bath here," Yong replied as he shampooed the baby.

"Yey! Promise, Appa?! This is gonna be fun!" He Ran shouted as she ran back to her bedroom.

"Goo goo goo!" Mee Yon laughed as she splashed happily in the tub.

"Hmmm, can't you say anything else baby? Why not try Appa. A~pa. Say it baby, A~pa."

Baby MeeYon laughed and splashed water in Yong's face. "Goo goo goo!!!"

Aigoo, Yong sighed...

***


After a disastrous lunch (Hwa Young spilled juice all over the dining table)...


Finally MeeYon's asleep.

"Appa, you promised you'd play with me." He Ran whispered from outside the nursery door.

"Appa appa play with me, too!" Hwa Young said from behind He Ran.

"Ssssshhhh... keep it down, girls. Why don't we all just play together?" Yong asked as he walked out of the nursery.

"But Appa, HeRan wants to play dress up!? I want to play the guitar, appa!" HwaYoung complained, the corners of going down.

"We'll do both, girls. What do we do first?" Yong sighed, sitting tiredly on the twins' bed.

"Guitar appa, guitar!"   "Dress up, appa. Please?"

"Alright, let's do guitar first." I don't really wanna play dress up, sweetie... Yong thought to himself.

"But appa..."   "I promise, we'll play dress up after, ok sweetie?"



***
Finally, the twins are napping. I can finally work on my new song, Yong thought.

"Goo goo goo appa pa pa pa!!!"

Yong stood rooted on the spot, so shocked by what he heard.

"Ap-pa! Goo goo pa pa pa!!!

Yong ran to the nursery and saw little MeeYon banging her bottle on her crib.

"Did I hear you right sweetie?!"

"Appa! appa appa appa!" MeeYon repeated happily as she continued banging her bottle.

Yong picked up the baby and hugged her tight.

"You have no idea how happy Appa is right now. You said Appa first! Your unnies all said Omma first, huhu. I love you all, but just between the two of us, you're my favorite now, alright?" Yong whispered and kissed the baby on the forehead.

He high-fived the baby as he carried her downstairs.

"Now, crawl around first while Appa fixes your bottle, ok?"

Yong whistled happily as he prepared a new bottle for the baby. He smiled to himself as he heard the baby's laughter. Turning around he couldn't help laughing himself.

 Oh no, I forgot to keep my shoes again, sorry Joohyun-ah. kekeke...

Yong brought the baby to his music studio.

"Let's get you all milked up while Appa works on his song, ok?" Yong placed MeeYon in her playpen. He couldn't wait to work on a new song that's been playing in his head since morning...

***

"Appa I'm home!" Hyunnie called out as she got in the front door. Uncle Jonghyun followed from behind, along with his son JongHoon.

"He's probably in the studio, Uncle Jonghyun." Hyunnie said after searching the kitchen and living room.

"Alright Hyunnie, thanks. Jonghoon, wait for me ok?" Jonghyun said

"Arasso appa, Hyun Ae and I will do our homework first then," his son replied.

Jonghyun chuckled. Yonghwa hyung's daughter was a good influence on his kid.

"Hyung, busy?" Jonghyun said, entering the studio without knocking.

"Hey, Jonghyun, you're here!?" Yong answered as he looked up from the music sheets he was writing on.

"Yeah, brought your kid home, as usual. They're doing their homework now. I'm telling you, hyung, your girl's good for my boy, eh?!" Jonghyun teased, wriggling his eyebrows.

"Yah Jonghyun-ah, they're just kids!" Yonghwa flared.

"I'm just kidding! haha.. How are you holding up?" Jonghyun asked. He laughed when he saw little Mee-Mee in the playpen.



"So, we get another musical prodigy, eh?!" Jonghyun laughed, pinching MeeYon's cheeks.

"Keke, I guess so. She was a big help today to Appa," Yong replied proudly. Then, suddenly looking crestfallen, "But today was crazy. I feel like I'm SNSD's manager Appa. Why couldn't I have boys like yours?!

Hyunnie came in with some fruits and juice.

"Here's a little snack, Appa," she said, kissing Yong on the cheeks before she left.

"Thanks sweetie," Yong said, glowing from his daughter's kiss.

"I'm telling you hyung, I want her for Jonghoon. Please?" Jonghyun teased, more serious this time.

"Yah, Jonghyun-ah!"

"Arasso, arasso!" Jonghyu laughed, clearly enjoying his hyung's discomfort.

***


"Appa, please eat," said Hyunnie.

"Aww sweetie, don't worry about Appa. I need to feed you guys first, then get you to bed," Yong replied as he tried to shoot some food into the baby's mouth.

"I'll see to the twins, Appa. Please, finish your dinner," Hyunnie said as she stood up from the table.

"Arasso, Hyunnie. See? I'm eating," Yong said as he shoveled two mouthfulls of his dinner.

"Goo goo goo appa appa!!!" Mee Yong laughed, banging her spoon on her high chair. "See? MeeYon approves." Yong laughed along with the baby.

Remembering something, Yong teased his daughter.

"By the way Hyunnie, do you like Jonghoon-ah?"

"Eww Appa, he's a boy. Yuck."  Hyunnie squirmed in her seat and wrinkled her nose.

HwaYoung piped up, "Jonghoon, Unnie, sitting in a tree, K~I~S~S~I~N~"


"Yah, Young-ah!"
Hyunnie started.

"G!" Yong finished for HwaYoung.

"Everybody now! Gee-gee-gee-gee baby, baby..." Yong stood up and played his air guitar.

The girls giggled at their Appa's antics.

***

"Appa, appa..."

"Brush your teeth properly, HwaYoung-ah."

"Appa, appa."

"Hyunnie, sweetie please  help HeRan-ah with her PJs."

"APPA!!!" HeRan screamed to get her Appa's attention.

Everyone looked at her. "Sweetie, I'm sorry, but we don't allow screaming here," Yong began sternly.

"I'm sorry Appa..." HeRan hung her head and turned to go to her room.

Yong sighed and gave the baby to Hyunnie. He ran over to HeRan and knelt beside her.

"I'm sorry sweetie, what did you want?"

HeRan had her hands behind her, shifting from one foot to the other.

"I just wanted to ask for a bedtime story, Appa. It's been a long time since you did it with us...? Please?" HeRan asked without looking at him.

"Hmmm... alright then. Tonight, everyone's sleeping with me on Appa and Omma's bed. I'll read to you a very special story, ok?!" Yong announced.

The twins jumped up in joy, MeeYon gurgling her baby sounds again.

"Not me, Appa. I'm a big girl now," Hyunnie said huffily, handing him MeeYon and pulling HeRan's hand.

Yong shook his head and smiled. Ah, Hyunnie-ah...


"Well, maybe I'll sit in for the story, Appa. But I'm sleeping in my bed!" Hyunnie called over her shoulder.

Yong's cheeks burst happily.

***


Bedtime

"Once upon a time, there was a Prince named Yo~ong and a Princess named Hyu~un..."

"Ah chincha Appa," Hyunnie cut in. "Does it really say it like that?!"

"Keke Hyunnie, as I said, this is a very special fairy tale. Just listen ok?" Yong laughed.

"Appa, I'm going to be a princess when I grow up," Hyunnie said shyly.

"But you're already a princess now, sweetie. You're all Appa's princesses," Yonghwa answered, looking into his daughter's big eyes.

"Really Appa? I want a princess dress, Appa!"

"Tomorrow sweetie, we'll play dress-up again."

"I wanna ride a horse Appa!" HwaYoung said, raising her hand to be heard.

"Someday baby, when you're bigger."

"Can we get back to the story now?" Hyunnie said, getting impatient.

"Sssshhhh not too loud Hyunnie, MeeYon-ah's nodding off," Yong whispered.

Little MeeYon was cradled in Yong's left arm, on her pacifier, her eyes drooping and closing slowly. The three unnies giggled at the cuteness that was MeeYon.

"Alright then," Yong whispered. "Let's get on with the fairy tale..."

***

"And they all lived happily, ever after." Yong said, closing the book as he finished reading.

He looked over at his daughters and gave a very satisfied smile. Everyone was asleep, except for Hyunnie, who was looking at him with big, sparkling eyes. Her mother's eyes.


"That was your story, right Appa? You and Omma?" she asked.

"Yes, sweetie, that was our story. Your Omma made this book, actually," Yong answered, looking at his daughter lovingly.

Hyunnie sighed as she stood up.

"
When I grow up, I want to meet someone exactly like you, Appa."

She gave him a kiss on the cheek and hugged him tightly.

"Good night Appa, I love you."

Yong's cheeks burst as his emotions got the better of him. Feeling a lump in his throat, he simply smiled and nodded in reply to his daughter.

Hyunnie kissed her three dongsaengs as well, before leaving for her room.

Ah, Hyunnie-ah, someday, you'd make a lot of boys cry, Yong thought to himself.

He frowned as he remembered Jonghyun's son. He would have to watch out for that boy.


His phone suddenly began vibrating on the nightstand. It was Seohyun.

"Hello?"

"Yeobo, how's everything? How are the girls? I miss you guys."

"We miss you, too, Yeobo. Just one question, Joohyun-ah..."

"............"

"How do YOU do it?!"

***

Thousands of miles away, Seohyun burst out laughing.


***

Hyunnie took out a piece of pink scented stationery from her diary before going to bed. It was a note from Omma before she left for Japan.

My dear Hyunnie,

While Omma’s away, please watch over Appa for me, ok? Here’s a tiny list:

  1. Make sure Appa eats properly.
  2. See to it Appa gets to rest well.
  3. Keep Appa entertained.
  4. Kiss Appa every chance you get.
  5. Hug Appa all the time.
  6. Make sure Appa goes to bed early.
  7. Kiss your sisters good night for me.

I love you and I’ll miss you ^^ Omma

Hyunnie snuggled under her blanket as she turned off her lamp.

Someday Omma, I'm going to be exactly like you. I'll marry a choding, too ^^