Almost Heaven

Jung Family One-shots
Almost Heaven
 
"Appa, appa."
 
Yonghwa opened his eyes to the urgent tone in his young son's voice. For a moment he was confused about his whereabouts. He looked around at the greenery and foliage that surrounded him and finally realized where he was. He'd been lazing about in the hammock hanging under the trees of their backyard.
 
It was a blessedly cool summer afternoon, with a light breeze in the  atmosphere. He had been working on his compositions since morning, but the weather looked too inviting through the window. Leaving his messy table in his studio, he grabbed a bottle of banana milk and jumped into the hammock.
 
He must have fallen asleep, because the sun was now hanging lower in the sky. It was still shining brightly, though, with a fluffy bit of cloud covering it just enough to keep the brightness and heat at bay.
 
Gathering his wits together, he turned back to his son standing beside the hammock.
 
"What is it, my Yongyong-ie?" he said, matching his voice to the gravity in the little one's. He gestured for the little boy to climb up onto the hammock with him.
 
Yongyong carefully climbed into the hammock, placing one chubby leg in first before lying on his tummy and pushing himself in. Yonghwa grinned at the adorable sight. He gave a slight pull on Yongyong's overalls to settle him inside the hammock.
 
The little boy gave his father a proud and satisfied grin after his small feat. He then nestled himself at his father's side, lying on his back with his father's arm for a pillow. For a few moments father and son lay quietly together, relaxing in the smooth swaying of the hammock in the late afternoon breeze.
 
"Appa."
 
"Yes?"
 
"What does Heaven look like?"
 
Yonghwa felt as if he'd stopped breathing for a while. He was so surprised with his son's question.
 
This is what you get for having smart kids. Where's Joohyuy when you need her?!
 
Yonghwa pat his son's head as he tried to come up with a suitable answer. Or at least distract the little boy with something else.
 
"Appa, you're not answering me," Yongyong said as he tried to stop his father's hand from patting his head.
 
"Well son..."
 
Yonghwa quickly wracked his brain. He vaguely remembered something about Heaven having streets of gold, and how it was always spring all the time... Dang, I should've paid attention during Bible school.
 
While trying to come up with an answer, he heard a voice singing from across the yard. Looking around, he discovered his lovely wife hanging some white sheets on the clothesline. She looked so beautiful and peaceful, wearing a simple white cotton dress and surrounded by flapping white linen. Her long, black wavy hair cascaded  down her back, fluttering in the breeze. Without knowing it, he was soon smiling widely.
 
"Appa?"
 
Yonghwa turned to his little boy and pointed towards Seohyun.
 
"Can you see that angel over there?" he asked. Yongyong excitedly sat up and looked. "An angel?! Where Appa, where?"
 
"Over there, in white, singing," Yonghwa said as he sat his boy on his lap.
 
"Eh Appa, that's just Eomma singing," Yongyong said, disapppinted that his father was just playing with him.
 
"But... your Eomma sings like an angel right?"
 
To that, Yongyong nodded his head in agreement.
 
"Eomma is also kind, and beautiful, and loving... just like an angel," Yonghwa continued to whisper, as if keeping a secret with his son, who was nodding his head vigorously.
 
"Actually, son, your Eomma IS a real angel. People just don't know about it, because it's a big secret. Can you keep a secret?" Yonghwa asked. Little Yongyong's eyes were now wide with wonder, and again he nodded about keeping the secret.
 
"But Appa, where are her wings?" Yongyong whispered, his eyes trained on his mother.
 
Yonghwa was again at a loss for an answer. "Ahh, wings? Uhmm.. her wings are invisible when she's out of heaven, but it's there. You just can't see it."
 
Yonghwa slapped his palm on his forehead. He was making things up, but he knew it was the only way he can satisfy the little boy's curiosity. He'll explain when the boy gets older.
 
"So Appa, what about heaven?"
 
Yonghwa stopped and stared at his wife, who was oblivious to the father and son conversation.
 
A warm feeling spread across his chest as memories throughout the years suddenly popped into his head. He shook his head and smiled before turning to his son.
 
"Well, no one really knows. But I do believe son..." He hugged his boy around the shoulder and pointed again towards the lovely angel singing.
 
"Where there's an angel, there's heaven. Or at least we can say son, that THIS is almost heaven..."
 
**********
 
"What was that all about?" Seohyun asked curiously as she slid into the hammock beside her husband, wrapping her arms around him and leaning into the crook of his neck. It fit just perfectly.
 
Yonghwa turned in and placed a chaste kiss on his wife's forehead before bringing her in for a bearhug, making her scream and giggle like a school girl.
 
"Now what's THAT all about?!" she yelled as she tried to breath from his tight hug. She tried to get back at him by tickling him at his sides. He gave up immediately. She knew his weak spots.
 
Seohyun slapped him gently on the chest before turning to him again and repeating her question.
 
"Honey, what were you and your son talking about a while ago?"
 
Yonghwa widened his eyes exaggerratedly. "What?! Did he say anything?! I told him to keep it a secret," he said with a straight face. Seohyum could see he was having difficulty keeping it straight, though.
 
She hit him again, a bit harder now than before.
 
"Eoww that hurt!?" Yonghwa cried out, rubbing on his chest where she hit him. He smiled as he watched Seohyun's face turn into its usual I'm-getting-annoyed-my-nostrils-must-be-flaring mode. He kissed her playfully on her pursed lips.
 
"He was just asking about stuff. You know how curious that kid is," he said, gathering her again in his embrace.
 
"But what exactly did you talk about? He said something weird to me," she said, prodding her husband with a finger.
 
"What did he say?"
 
"Well..."
 
*********
 
Ten minutes ago...
 
"Yongyong!!! Come here and give eomma a kiss," Seohyun gushed as she lowered herself to eye-level with her four-year-old.
 
He stopped a couple of feet from her and stared. He just stood there and stared at her face for a few seconds. Seohyun reached out her arms and gestured for him to come to her. He gave a sweet little smile and ran into her embrace.
 
"Awww my lil boy is so sweet, here give eomma a kiss," she said offering her cheek. Yongyong planted a loud wet kiss on her right cheek and turned her face with his hand to kiss the other one. Seohyun giggled and kissed him back, tickling him on his sides just like she does to his father.
 
"Eomma wait, stop," Yongyong squealed and giggled  as he wiggled out of her arms and ran towards her back. She felt his little hands on her shoulder blades for a bit.
 
"Eomma, I'm a big boy now. I don't want you to carry me anymore," he declared with all the pride of a toddler. Seohyun turned around and found him with his hands on his hips, his feet planted apart. She decided to play along and stood up, copying his pose.
 
"And why is that, my YongSun-ah?" she asked with the same tone he'd used.
 
The little boy ran to her and hugged her legs tightly with his chubby arms.
 
"Because I don't want to hurt your wings," he whispered shyly before turning and running into the house.
 
Seohyun stood there watching his retreating back, open in surprise. She closed it after a few seconds, but not long before a smile tugged at one corner. In a few more seconds, she was smiling widely and shaking her head. She had to find her husband.
 
Ahh... kids say the darnest things... but she knew an even bigger kid who says the sweetest words.