Chapter 29

Seducing Nerdy Chanyeol !

(A/N) First, let me thank you all. I reached 500 subies and it makes me extremely happy to know that so many people read my story. I want to hug all of you and thank you so much for all the support. I really love you ! ヽ(;▽;)ノ

__________________________

 

 

On the way leading to the café, Chanyeol kept on blabbing and blabbing, desperately trying to conceal the embarrassment of the kitchen's episode and fix Sehun's mess. Hands buried deep in the pockets of his jacket, he was sincerely apologizing for what happened and swore his friend wasn't acting like that usually. He was still young and sometimes acting like his age. Chanyeol didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable by bringing you at his place, he hoped this would be quickly forgotten as well as his nickname "Yeollie".
But to be honest, you weren't listening to any of the words he was saying. The head in the cloud (or probably more into the grave), you were trying to brace yourself for what was going to happen. Each step was leading you closer and closer to what you had postponed for so long : the confession.You didn't know how to do it, or when, or what to say. In short, you didn't know anything about what were supposed to do. All you knew was that it was certainly going to end in a ridiculous and very embarrassing way. Because it was you and it couldn't be otherwise. 
You wanted to make it quick and clean. No cheesiness, no lovey-dovey stare, none of those awkward stuffs. You weren't in one of those cheesy drama. Besides you weren't really good at acting cute and seductive. Awkwardness was your only weapon for this. Hopeless but still determinated, you decided to opt for straightforwardness and try to make it as less weird as possible. And maybe that way Chanyeol would say yes. 
 
 
 
 
 
« So, what do you want to drink ? » Chanyeol asked, absent-mindedly reading the café's menu.
 
You were quietly observing him from the other side of the table, lost in your thoughts. When you had stepped in the café, you had made sure nobody from school was there to witness the worst fake love declaration of the history. Luckily for you, the café was pretty empty and the few customers present weren't paying attention to you. But unfortunately, this also meant you hadn't any excuse back up this time. The confession had to be done right here and right now. You couldn't please Kai by acting like a coward. 
 
« Hm ? » Chanyeol questioned, lifting his eyes from the plastic card since you weren't replying.
 
He spotted your eyes on him and raised a curious eyebrow while you looked away and grabbed the menu in front of you. Without even reading the suggestions, you picked the first name you saw and closed the card. 
 
« I'm taking a Cioccolata Calda. » You said, the unfamiliar Italian name weirdly rolling in your mouth.
 
Chanyeol smiled, putting his menu aside before crossing his fingers on the table.
 
« I'll take the same. »
 
And then, you both waited in silence.
 
 
To avoid rush of nervousness and stress, you tried to focus on everything you could possibly focus on, except Chanyeol. Your eyes wandered in the café. It was one of those comfy places with wood, plants and soft indie music. Some jar filled with coffee seeds were exposed on the bar and the scent of incense was fluttering in the air. This place was had nothing in common with Chanyeol's loud and high colorated personality and you wondered if he actually came here often or if he just randomly suggested this place. If he did come here, was he coming alone or with his roomates ? Was he usually sitting here or at the bar ? Was he usually ordering the Cioccolata Calda or did he just do it to be polite ? But more than anything, you wondered if he would say yes. If there was a slight (but still possible) chance for him to say yes. If he would accept to let things evolve between you two, if he would actually like to become your boyfriend. You could pretend as much as you wanted that he was just « business » and this was just a stupid deal, but your heart was beating fast and you never felt so nervous of your life. Not even with Baekhyun.
Your attention got back on your table, tucked in a corner of the room.
 
« Nice place. » You commented.
 
Chanyeol smiled, happy to see you liked it.
 
« Yes, » he nodded.
 
His long fingers were drumming on the table, waiting for the waiter to come for your orders. Maybe you could take that silent moment as the opportunity to finally confess to him. Maybe the time had come. You clenched your sweaty fist under the table and took a deep and unsteady breath. Not thinking was the key. If you started to think, make assumptions, imagine stuff, this was going to fail. And you couldn't afford any failure, right ? But before you lips even had the time to move and panic to flood your mind, a waiter popped up with a small notebook and a soft smile, ready to take your orders.
 
« Good evening ! May I take your orders ? »
 
Your fist unfolded with a sigh as Chanyeol spoke for both of you. He ordered the way a regular customer would and even add a little « Thanks, Ace » at the end of the order. The waiter, or as Chanyeol called him, Ace wrote everything on his notebook, nodding and letting few « Uh-uh » escape from time to time. He then clicked his pen and left with a smile.
 
« I come here often, » Chanyeol explained, even if you didn't ask anything.
 
You nodded and clasped your sweaty and slightly shaking hands together. You couldn't say if the moment had to come now, but from the way Chanyeol was simply smiling, you thought that maybe it had and that grin was an invitation from your destiny. Your fist clenched again against your thigh as you tried to keep calm. It was just Chanyeol. Not Baekhyun, not Kai or anyone that mattered. It was Chanyeol, and he would surely say yes. Kai was right, he was an easy target. You now knew each other for long enough to not make it suspicious. Besides if he didn't like you, even a tiny bit, you two wouldn't be here. Right ? He wouldn't hang with you at school either or skip a day of school for the noble sake of your birthday. Besides, you highly doubt he was that nice to do things for you without even somehow liking you. But was the « somehow » enough to date you? That what you had to figure out. You tried to convince yourself that you had your chance by mentally enumerating proofs that Chanyeol was « somehow » liking you. But you quickly stopped, because once again, you were starting to think too much and it wasn't helping.
The time had come.
He was here.
You were here.
Around a wood table in a nice café.
And the time had definetely come.
 
 
 
Or maybe not yet. You could at least taste your drink before ? No ?
You both remained strangely silent until the waiter came back with a large plate and two steaming mugs on the top of it. He gently placed your drinks on the table before winking at Chanyeol and disappearing. 
 
« Well, » Chanyeol exclaimed, rubbing his hands. « Let's taste it ! »
 
You curled your fingers around the warm mug and smiled. Drinking before going to the fighting. It smelled really good and the whipped cream looked awfully tempting. You raised your eyes to Chanyeol who was already sloppily drinking his. The Adam's apple in his throat was going up and down so fast and you kind of dumbly stare at it before realising how creepy and inappropriate it was from you. You shook your head and thought this whole confession thing was making you do really strange stuff. Raising the mug to your mouth and about to taste your drink, you stopped as Chanyeol's closed eyes suddenly opened up. He moved the cup away from his lips, like he was about to say something important.
 
« Wait, we forgot something. »He said in a hurry. « We didn't clink our drinks. »
 
And with that, he raised his cup to you with a bright smile. You frowned but laughed.
 
« Oh, right. »
 
You raised yours.
 
« What are we cheering for ? » You asked.
 
Chanyeol pinched his lips and narrowed his eyes, intensely concentrating.
 
« Uh...good question. » He dumbly replied, a little disappointed.
 
You sighed and banged your mug against his with a smile.
 
« To us ! » You cheered, trying to calm your fastly beating heart.
« To us ? » Chanyeol repeated with a raised brow, not really getting it.
« To us. » You nodded before taking the first sip of what was the best and most memorable hot chocolate of your life.
 
 
 
 
 
You banged your empty mug on the table with a sigh.
 
« Chanyeol, » you whispered. « I think I'm in love...»
 
On the other side of the table, the poor boy almost choked with his drink not expecting this. At all.
 
« What ?! » He cried with difficulty, cleaning his mouth with the back of his hand.
« … with this chocolate. » You finished your sentence.
 
Chanyeol frowned, a little abashed and feeling extremely stupid. For one second, he thought you were going to say something else. Something that may or may not have made his heart violently hammer against his chest. Because he was a boy, and you were a girl. And sometimes... But,  oh right, you already had Kai and there were no « sometimes » between Chanyeol and you. Just English project and working sessions.
Skilfully hiding his destabilization with a smile, Chanyeol vigorously nodded his little head.
 
«Oh... » He said, trying to hide what sounded like disappointment. « Yeah, told you. This is the best chocolate you'll ever find in Seoul. »
 
You crossed your arms on the table and your lips, still tasting the aroma of that heavenly good drink. Ok, right... Yes, you had made that mental promise to not use any of the those cliche seducing tactics such as languorous hair flipping, intense glaze or lips . You bet it looked gross and stupid on you. But there was a time when you promised to yourself to only date people you'd really love and never play with their feelings. Seemed like not all the promise could be kept and sometimes promises were just words and ideas, just as great as untenable under some extenuating circumstances . Besides Chanyeol wasn't paying attention to you anyway, too busy looking away.
You stopped tasting your lips to sigh. Now that the drink was drunk, that the intimate atmosphere was set and that all you had left to do was opening your mouth and finally speak. You closed your eyes to find the energy to finally act. Not think, just act. 
And when you opened them back, Chanyeol's eyes met yours and he looked funny at you.
 
« What ?» You  frowned.
 
He gently put his mug on the wood table, his lips drawing a smile. As he pointed something on your face, his face tilted to the side.
 
« Uh, you have something here.» He explained, now pointing at his own cheek to show you the exact spot.
 
You hand reached your cheek (or rather, smashed against it) and started to rub your blushing skin. This was uhm... embarrassing. Chanyeol shook his head.
 
« No, a little upper.»
 
Your fingers travelled but not close enough.
 
« No, just here ! » he said, pointing at his cheek to show you.
 
Your eyebrows met.
 
« Ah ! Let me do it. » He laughed, rolling his eyes.
 
He bend over the table as you cringed in your seat by reflex. His long arm reached your face in an instant and you felt the cold fingertips of his gently brushing your cheek. You stared at him, a little surpised and very dumbfounded. Every of his touch was making you feel uncomfortable. 
 
« Wait, don't move. » he whispered with the very low voice of his.
 
You stayed still as he bend closer to you. How couldn't he feel the heat radiating from your face ? 
 
« There ! » He whispered with his deep voice.
 
His fingers brushed a last time your skin before leaving you. He sat back on his chair and just smiled, obviously not sharing or aware of the surrounding awkwardness. Like usually, you thought.
Chanyeol was about to drink another sip of his hot chocolate when, finally, you decided to act. This couldn't last forever and the fact that wipped milk off your face was the wake-up call you were waiting for. By dating him today, you would put an end to the deal and get it over with the weird, uncomfortable and awkward moments packed with Park Chanyeol. Acting now was a long-term investment.
 
So before you had the time to think or regret anything, you opened your mouth and called him, you heart beating fast.
 
«  Chanyeol ? »
 
The cup stopped its journey to the boy's lips and his eyes met yours.
 
« Yes ? » He asked.
 
You inhaled. 
 
« I hum... »
 
You exhaled.
 
« I... »
he frowned.
 
« You ? »
« I ... » You heavily sighed, not believing what you were just about to say.
 
And especially to him, to Park Chanyeol. The weirdo, the giant idiot, the tall uncool kid, the freak with a creepy smile, the genius in math class, the secret singer of a pretty cool band, the cookie addict, your project partner, the boy with messy hair, the nerdy looking boy, the guy with cheesy jokes, the really tactile boy, the guy who skipped a day of school for you birthday, the one who bought you a birthday cupcake, the boy you had to seduce, the only guy able to make your heart beat like that.
 
« You ? » He repeated, curiousity written all over his face.
 
You were so close to say it. The first syllab was dancing on the tip of your tongue. It was there, just there... All you had to do was to let it free, to let it escape from your lips. It was easy. It was simple. It was fake. And yet, once again, the courage left you.
 
« Nothing, forget about it. »
 
Chanyeol frowned, confused. You were acting really strange today. Or he was just imagining things.
Shrugging, he grabbed his warm mug and hold it tightly. But when he heard a soft and quiet « I think I like you » escaping from your lips, he brusquely froze and almost let it drop.
Used to imagine stuff easily, Chanyeol was not sure if he had heard correctly this time. Partly because the music which had seemed to be turned up right at this moment, but mostly because his heart was performing a like a brass band in his chest and he couldn't think anymore.
 
You stared at him from the other side of the table, looking for a stare, a smile, a frown, anything. But Chanyeol's remained perfectly still, wearing an unhelping poker face. Didn't he hear what you just said ? You sighed. Saying it once was hard and painful enough. Why did he had to inflict this to you.
« Chanyeol ? »
 
The sudden call of his name made him snapped back in reality. 
 
« H-Hm ? » He blinked.
« Do-..Did you hear what I just say ? » You asked with a frown.
 
Chanyeol's cheek turned into a flashing bright shade of red. The panic one, to be more precise. He nervously laughed, too loud to be credible, and shook his head and his hands as well. He already made a fool of himself earlier and he didn't want to reiterate the experience.
 
« What ? Oh you said something ? Nope, no I didn't hear anything.  »
 
You silently nodded, biting your lips. Guess you had to go for another round. But, now that the first (and most difficult) words had crossed the barrier of silence and nervousness, all you had to do was to « go with the flow ».
 
« I said that hum... well... How should I put it ? » You made a little pause to let you the time to find the right words. « We've been partners since a good moment, right ? We didn't really know each other before this whole project thing and hum... I think it kind of gave me the opportunity to know more about you. I guess spending so much time with you made me realise how nice you are. Because you are Chanyeol, you really are. And I really like you. Like, a lot. You're always so happy and encouraging, I really like it you know. You're smiling all the time and your smile is like a ray of shine. No ! It's the sunshine ! »
 
Did you just compare his smile to a freaking sun ? 
 
« I really like working with you, being with you. It feels good to have someone like you and I guess falling for you was just a matter of time. Because you're a wonderful person and you never fail to make me smile. Your stage name is really accurate, you're like a Happy Bacteria- »
 
« Virus. » Chanyeol briefly corrected. 
 
« Oh right, Virus. Thanks. Anyway, my point is... » You looked at your hands and blushed a little too much. « I like you Chanyeol, I really do... »
 
Chanyeol kept his eyes on you the whole time, his mouth left hang opened. He stared at you, his mind totally numb. All he could focus on was the worrying speed of his heart right at this moment and... and that was all. He vaguely wondered if someone had put caffeine in his drink because it was beating unnormally to fast and he was too young to die from a heart attack. It was drumming against his chest so fast that it was threatening to explose.
He tried to focus on your words, he really did. But it sounded so unreal. Was he imaginating things again ? 
 
Your eyes refused to meet his. You didn't mean to sound so cheesy and silly. Awkwardly playing with the sleeve of your shirt, you tried to stay calm. Uneasy task when your heart was jumping in your chest and something, what you could only associated to butterflies, were dancing in your stomach. You didn't really get why you were in such a state. It was fake. It wasn't for real.
 
« And I wondered if you felt the same about me... » You shyly added, avoiding his eyes.
 
Your heart was beating unreasonabily fast. 
And as much as you wanted to see his reaction, you physically coudn't. So you waited.
And waited a little longer. 
It was so silent at that you thought maybe he had leave.
Which maybe could have been better than hearing what he replied. 
Because it started with a :
 
«...I'm sorry. » 
 
And, sadly it also ended with a :
 
« I.. I don't like you. »
 

__________________________