Review

The Heir's Love Story

Sun beamed unexpectedly high for a typical September day. It supposed to be rather rainy weather, or a humid autumn day, but it seems that the morning weather forecast was inaccurate. Add the pressure that it is Midterm exam week and it is almost finals, you can call it very stressful.

“Yah! It almost killed me!” Sooyoung expressed her frustration while stretching her arms as she exited the exam room.

“You’re done Sooyoung-unnie. Only Yuri-unnie is inside. I hope she’s answering each items really well.” The maknae expressed her high hopes for the tanned girl who was taking the Hematology exam inside the exam room.

“I think she’s perfectly fine, she reviewed a lot this past week. Well she told me she did.” The shikshin expressed her confidence towards their last companion.

“We did, we only slept for four hours because Yul forced me to review her over the phone. She was serious, it’s Hematology her hole.” The doe-eyed girl spoke up.

“How was maknae’s test? You were put in the very front together with Jong-In, you were really too fast you only took the test for 32 minutes.” Sooyoung shifted the topic as she rested her chin on the maknae’s shoulder and back hug her.

“I think I answered it fairly.” She humbly responded.

“Good to hear that, but its quite surprising ‘coz you usually finish second or third to the last.”

“Jong-In-ssi and I have been mock reviewing for quite some time; I think every laboratory sessions we throw questions to each other. That’s why I was very confident answering each questions this midterms.”

“Seems that you two have gotten really close? I’m really going to run out of blood sooner!” Yoona joked out as if she was about to faint.

“Seriously is that the result of being arranged together?” Sooyoung started becoming giddy as well.

“Unnie, it’s not like that!” the maknae broke from Sooyoung’s back hug.

“Why so defensive?” Sooyoung interrogated as she shifted to the choding, “Yoong! Look at Hyunnie’s reaction!” she started to tease.

“Omo! She’s blushing!” Yoona pointed to the maknae with an epic expression and burst into her alligator laugh.

“I’m not!” she hid her face in her palms as her face turned hot and their accusation of her blushing came true.

“Omo! She really is!” the shikshin started o laugh hard as well.

“Someone might hear us unnies. It’s not true.”

----------

Few minutes later, Yuri finally came out from the exam room. She found her prankster companions teasing their youngest member hard.

“Let’s go.”

“How’s the exam? Still alive?” the shikshin asked.

“Of course yes. I only checked if there’s anything I missed.” The tanned girl replied with confidence.

“We know right Yul.” Yoona pulled the tanned girl close to her.

Yuri noticed the youngest face flushing pink. “What happened to Hyun?”

“She’s blushing isn’t it obvious?”  The doe-eyed-girl answered.

“I’m not Yoong-uunie!” Seohyun blurted out as the exhaled hard from her nose.

The tanned girl was not able to control herself and bagan laughing, “You annoyed her like this?”

The shikshin shrugged her shoulders, “We’re only teasing a little, and we haven’t even did anything yet.”

As expected, Kwon Yul’s arrival really indicates the completion of the prankster trio.

Their teasing just went louder that Jong-In who was browsing his notes on his Ipad few meters away from them was not able to tolerate their noise.

“Hyunnie is getting annoyed because we’re teasing her to Jong-In.” the doe-eyed girl teased as the young gentleman unexpectedly walked passed to them.

“Shhh.” The young gentleman signalled them to keep their voice low by putting his index finger on his lips.

“Unnie!” the poor maknae helplessly shrieked from embarrassment.

“You did better, but you’ve interchanged the answers from 86-89.” He shot back to his future wife and left.

“How d –“she wanted to ask but got frozen for realizing that he was there the whole time and was hearing all her unnies brutal gags.

“I think he heard everything.” The shikshin realized the same thing. “Maknae, Yul, Yoong. Let’s just go to the cafeteria in the architecture building.” she pushed the three of them quickly.

‘Now unnies, I’m really dead. I’m already helpless and you’re making me feel desperate.’ The torture ran into her head as they walked on their way to the said cafeteria.

----------

Three hours have passed and Seohyun finished their Clinical Chemistry 30 minutes ahead of the others along with Jong-In. she needs to go home earlier than her three older friends because Histopathology and Blood Banking needs longer review time.

‘Unnies, I need to go home earlier for tomorrow’s bloody set. Fighting! You three can do it!’ she sent a voice message to the here girls who were still taking exams.

On her way of walking into the bus stop, a black executive Audi car stopped before her – it was one of Jong-In’s car.
The heir went out of the car and opened the backseat entrance for her. “Let’s review together for tomorrow, shall we?”
“I-I’m but… I am more comfortable studying alone.” She attempted to decline stuttering.
Jong-In grabbed the notebook she was carrying, and suddenly let out a chuckle. “I want to review with you today.”

She attempted to get back her notes from his possession, but he is quiet tall. She never knew that the heir has a playful side, “Give that-“but Joo Hyun was cut when he raised her notebook even higher.

“Okay. I’m going to give it back but you need to study with Me.” he was making a deal with her as he childishly show a grin.

“Jong-in-ssi I’m not kidding. I’m in need of a longer study time. Reserve those pranks after midterms!” she began to lecture.

“I told your mom and dad that you’re going to review with me today early this morning. And they said it’s okay.” He sends out few more childish chuckles.

“How come? You did that? I can’t believe it you’re really something.”

“So let’s go?” he grabbed her from her wrist into the car like a playful child.

It was her first time seeing his bright side in contrast with his serious facade at Dongguk.

----------

Few minutes later, they arrived in the mansion. Butler Kang Ho Dong welcomed them, “Welcome home Young Master, and welcome Ms. Seo.”

The butler then bowed down along with the three dozen house keepers and younger butlers. She never imagined such extravagant house even in her dreams.

The heir portrayed his usual cold manner towards the servants and just passed on them, while the young lady was frozen on where she was standing. He was already in the mid part of the enormous entrance hall when he noticed that they weren’t walking side-by-side.

“Ms. Seo, feel free to enter the mansion.” Butler Ho Dong eased the young lady and guided get to enter the mansion.

The young master went back and met her halfway. He then grabbed her from her wrist and led her inside. “Faster, I haven’t eaten lunch I’m already starving.”

“You shouldn’t have gone back and head into the dining area if you’re hungry.”

“That can’t be, we need to study… we should start studying right now.” he loosens up his grip and shifted his hand to hers and led her to his room on the second floor of the enormous mansion.

She was bewildered with his shifting statements, ‘You’re hungry but we need to study now? Jong-In-ah…you could be nuts at times.’

“Are we going to the dining hall?” she wondered if the dining hall is located in the second floor.

“Just follow me.” he smiled and escorted her inside an enormous room that seemed to be an executive suite of a CEO like in most Korean dramas.

“…An executive suite inside this mansion?” Her jaw dropped as soon as she set a foot inside the ‘executive suite.’

“This is my room.” He said, still holding her hand.

“Just your room?” she noticed that their hands were still together so she quickly retracted not to feel the same awkwardness anymore.

But it seems that awkwardness between them cannot be easily dissolved as Jong-In was the one who felt weird and reacted.

“Uhh-“he cannot utter a proper word and just scratched his nape after her retraction.

 

As soon as she feels his awkwardness, she too felt the same. “I think we should get going. Time is ticking.”

‘My fault. Sorry.’ He mentally apologized. “Yes. We should get going.”

He led her in his study area where the two of them can concentrate reviewing for the midterm exams. Seohyun chose to sit on the floor with all her notes and books on the short glass table, while Jong-In sat comfortably in-front of his study table.

Three hours have passed, and it was already 5pm. Jong-In have completely forgotten about his hunger. He already skipped lunch and snack time, while Seohyun felt her eyes were already tired of being too concentrated reading for 3 straight hours.

“Mianhe, I’ve completely forgotten to send in lunch here.”
“No need. I did not notice the time either. I was able to finish reviewing Blood Bank.”

“Same here.” He stood up from his seat, “I’ll just call Butler Ho Dong so the savants can bring us food here. What do you want?”

“Anything that’s available.” She replied.

“Okay. I’ll decide for you this time.”

Foods arrived inside the room after 20 minutes. It was like a feast of Chinese and Japanese cuisine which Jong-In really love.

“Young master, everything is set. You and Ms. Seo can eat not at the mini dining area.” Butler Ho Dong informed them.

“Thank you Butler Ho Dong.”

“Thank you Mr. Butler Ho Dong.” She gave a warm smile to the butler.

“Have a nice meal! Young Master, Ms.Seo.” And the butler left the scene.

She was completely in awe for seeing a well prepared meal for the two of them. She usually pictures this kind of scene in dramas where there is a middle aged CEO married to a late-twenties lady who are starting their family life. In their case, the lead role is Jong-In and she’s the female lead.

While they were in the middle of eating their meal, she asked, “Why don’t you let them join us?”

“It’s inappropriate Joo Hyun-ssi.”

“This is too much for the two of us. What are they going to do with all the left over?” she shot another question.

“Maybe, throw it out.” He replied unsure.

“Throw away?” she stopped eating, and looked at the amount of food that will be wasted once the helpers of the household throw the left over.

“Can't they really join us so nothing will be wasted?”

“No.”

“But aren’t those servants starving doing chores in this mansion nonstop?” she asked again.

“All of those servants you’ve seen graduated from the finest Hotel and Restaurant management institutes, and those butlers were not just simply butlers they we trained to do managerial work and knows self-defence like agents. And we highly compensate every helper in this household, not just them but their whole family as well.”

She remembered his grand father who worked for Grand Master Kim before he died. What he said was true, their restaurant will never be established if her grandfather never became a part of the Kim’s household.

Jong-In noticed her sudden spacing out. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. I just remembered my harabeoji.”

“Head Butler Seo?”

“Neh.” She nodded.

“Grandpa always talked about him when I was young. Based from his stories, your grandfather seemed to be a great apprentice to my grandfather. He really felt the loss when he parted from us.”

“Really? For me he is also a great man. He worked for us until he reached 72, and even provided the money for the restaurant’s land.”  She recalled.

----------

Several minutes later, they started reviewing for Histopathology. Jong-in decided to join her reviewing on the glass table while sitting on the floor. Minutes and hours have passed; they kept on reviewing while throwing questions from time-to-time. It was almost midnight when they finished studying their lessons.

Seohyun’s eyes were about to drop from being heavy when she threw her last question to Jong-In.

“You never missed to answer my questions, how can you manage being like that?”

“Focus, Will and Determination.” He uttered, but his partner has already dozed off in the table the moment he turned to her again.

His eyes were also heavy that his body was too tired to move around. He closed and arranged the books that they used on the table and put a throw pillow on the table where she nuzzled her head off.

Few minutes later, he followed Seohyun in dreamland as he laid his head on the same glass table.