Another Used To Be

The Heir's Love Story

It has been three days since they got back in Korea, and the fifth day since Seohyun started to avoid being with Jong-In alone as much as possible.

“I prayed that He would prolong the 365 days allotted for us, how about you Joo Hyun-noona?' the question lingered inside her head making her feel incredibly uneasy whenever her husband is around.

She knew herself that she doesn’t hate the fact that she heard those words from her husband. In fact, she find that particular day the happiest day for the both of them. But for some odd reasons she suddenly felt afraid and guilty. Possibly because she was the one who decided that it will be over for them after a year, and she declared it final even when she saw how he responded towards her during that night they made an agreement.

Hence, with her avoidance she let him feel another denunciation.

 

That morning, she was having her usual ethics class with Mr. Wu in the main lounge of the mansion. When she saw her husband glanced at her as he walked his way down to the main staircase.

Their eyes met for a millisecond but he then immediately retracted, and walked straight out of the hall seemingly avoiding her.

'I cannot blame him since I was the one who initiated this.' she pondered as she spaced out for a moment heaving a deep sigh of guilt for avoiding her husband in the first place.

"Mmm...Joo Hyun." the ethics instructor called her attention.

She heaved a heavy sigh once again, still not paying attention to their lesson.

"Ahem, Milady Kim." the ethics instructor intentionally coughed to get her attention.

She then snapped out front day spacing out and pulled her self together.

"Y-yes M-Mr. Wu?" she responded stuttering.

He shook his head giving her a disappointed look, and started lecturing her. "Joo Hyun-ah your focus, you're spacing out again. You’ve been acting like that since yesterday.

He then asked, "Tell me, is there anything wrong?"

"N-Nothing Mr. Wu." she was obviously denying from him.

He raised an eyebrow looking to where the heir headed to, and started prying her. "Anything wrong that happened between you and Jong-In?"

"N-nothing really Mr. Wu!" she denied once again letting out a sheepish smile.

Unsatisfied with her answer, he then uttered. "If you're going to bottle it in again, then it will keep bothering you 'til you explode."

He then reminded her, "By the way, I told you to call me Wu Fan-oppa, right? Have you forgotten?"

She almost forgot that he let her address him that way when they're alone together since they're companions.

"Ah-yes Wu Fan-oppa." she uttered awkwardly.

Hearing her address him in a more comfortable manner, a small yet handsome smile briefly crept on the ethics instructor's face.

As her gaze met her instructor's eyes she then remembered the secret she read in the former milady's diary.

'Wu Fan-oppa, you're Jong-In's older brother. Do you know about it? Can I ask you things regarding this matter?' she mentally noted, as she hesitated questioning the latter regarding the matter.

Her eyes were too pure that it cannot hide what she was feeling, it gave him the feeling that his student has something deep in her thoughts, and by the way she strikes her gaze at him, there was definitely a question she gravely wanted to ask him.

"Joo Hyun." his facial expression has gotten tighter and serious. "You tell me if there's something wrong, or if you want to ask me something instead of bottling it in."

She flinched from her seat with the latter's tone. 'He's reading me again.'

She was hesitant but to no avail since she knew her ethics teacher's ways of prying she cannot hide it for long,

"A-about you and Jong-In." she turned her gaze to the ground. "I knew something b-between you two."

"Huh?" by the tone of her voice, he knew it was something important, something grave because it's something left unfolded. He then gave her an extra serious quizzical gaze. "What is it Joo Hyun?"

'It's better to be this bold than nothing.' she braced up herself and shot him back with a deep questioning stare. "Do you perhaps know the fact that you are Jong-In's older brother?"

Greater than what he thought she would ask, he was taken aback by the sudden question.

"Well Wu Fan-oppa, if you do-"

"Yes Joo Hyun I knew it very well from the start." he admitted.

She did not know what to say, his last sentence was brief, hence was also sharp. He was bold admitting that he knew it all in front of her, but what was really bothering was the fact that he was just remaining all silent along.

‘So you knew it Wu Fan-oppa? You knew it all along but you never told him the truth, what hinders you? What are you hiding? If that’s how you put it more accurately?’ she mentally pried the latter with her rather interrogating facial expression.

“If you’re thinking why I’m all silent all along, I also have to admit that I only have the guts to look over my brother like what I used to do before. But the story behind why do I have to keep quiet should be kept that way so everything will remain to its normal place.” He definitely read what she wanted him to perceive.

Once again, she was pierced with his answer; she tried her best though she could vaguely associate what she has read from the milady’s diary to his manner of reasoning. “Is it because Lord Yunho chose to be with Milady Taeyon and Jong-In though he knew that your mother had you, and she killed herself after knowing that they cannot go back to each other anymore?”

Though Milady Joo Hyun is the most caring and most careful person he knew in his life he still felt stung with the fact she just stated. Hence, it all happened in the past, it already hurt everybody who was involved, it already stung him gravely being aware of how his mother suffered and died because of that fact. But since it was all in the past, and time already mended the wounds and those wounds already turned into scars, he knew himself very well, that those reasons were not grave enough to keep his real identity to his own brother.

“I must admit you’re right, but I have so much more reasons why do I have to keep myself from him.” He averted his gaze from the sight seen on the windowpane near them.

“And what are those reasons?’ she immediately shot back, getting oblivious of what the latter could feel. “Is it because if you analyze the situation carefully you are Jong-In’s older brother, and technically you’re supposed to be the sole heir?”

Undeniably she was full of wit however; she was forgetting to consider the latter’s feelings and was being too straightforward.

“Being the sole heir.” He paused for a moment containing his whole being, and pondered for it for a moment. “I also know that for a fact, but even if it was supposed to be me, fate has brought me to become Mr. Wu, and that for the record is much better than being the sole heir.”

She was rash of becoming too curious of his answers, that she even asked a seemingly improper question for that moment, “Wu Fan-oppa, have you ever thought of taking the sole heir’s place from Jong-In?”

The inquiry just ripped open the door leading to his guilt he once became selfish when he did not consider his younger brother’s state during their Taekwondo sparring many years ago. He listened to his Grandfather Wu that time and what he brought to his own brother was immense pain.

“I’d be a liar if I tell you that that matter never crossed my mind. Once, I became selfish in my life, and what I got was all pain in the neck.” He tried to answer lightly; hence, his words were needed to be read in between the lines.

“If only you would let Jong-In know how good you are Wu Fan-oppa – “before she could even finish her she got cut with his words.

“There’s so much more you need to know about me before saying that Joo Hyun. The fact that I’m the mysterious gentleman in this mansion, you still need to dig lot more information about me.”

She could not fully grasp what he exactly wanted to convey. But all she knew from her innocent mind that, that her ethics teacher is a good person, and her good friend.

“I trust you Mr. Wu.” She mindlessly uttered as she extended her hands and held his.

Truth is, if she would only keep on reading the former milady’s diary she might take back what she just uttered.

“Thank you for that Joo Hyun, but before you say those kinds of words please do think twice.”

He does not have any bad intention to her, nor to his brother, but the fact that he was trying to run away from the shadows of his grandfather Lord Wu for not wanting to obey his commands to be known as the first son of Lord Yunho, and pilfer the title of sole heir to his younger brother, hence, keeping his real identity to his own brother he knows that he could not be counted as a good person even if the milady tells him that he is.

“Running away, and keeping things still make me a bad person though.” He uttered.

Unfortunately, the milady was not really able to grasp what he really meant, and came to have another thought again.

“Wu Fan-oppa. If you’re the original sole heir, then you and I – “she could not help herself but to halt with her own conclusion.

He has his faint smile written on his face when he suddenly gripped tighter to her and uttered, “Yes Joo Hyun, I was supposed to be the one to marry you.”

And with his straightforward words another used to be fact was disclosed.