Equestrianism

The Heir's Love Story

Semester break is almost the same as a summer vacation the only difference is that semester break only lasts for three weeks and the longest is for a month.

Unlike any other students the husband-and-wife was busy doing their commitments as the heir and the milady of the most affluent household in Asia. Jong-In needs to work for their company while Joo Hyun needs to take ethics classes to qualify herself to become a full-pledged milady before the household makes her known as the official milady of the Kims to the whole world.

Things were not easy for the both of them. If they we're just a stereotype early-wedded couple they would have just probably have typical lunch dates or movie dates or any kind of dates, but unfortunately they're not.

One Wednesday morning, Mr. Wu's ethics lesson was Equestrianism - the art of riding a horse by affluent people. Or if you simply put it, he's lesson was to teach the milady horseback riding.

"Mr. Wu, I think this is fun but dont you think that Silver is too big for me?" Seohyun was quite bothered with her horse's size since she had hard time from riding on it. Now she was doubtful if she will be able to direct its maneuver.

"Silver is the tamest horse out of the many horses of the household milady. If you want you can use Jong-In's Lucas, but I wonder how could you control such horse, its like its owner." Mr. Wu explained how difficult to manage the other horse.

"Silver's meant for whoever the milady of this household will be. So technically Silver is your horse.” He added.

"Hello Silver, I'm milady Seo - I mean Kim Joo Hyun. Please be nice so I can ride on you more often." she awkwardly greeted her owned animal childishly as she established her control and made it walk according to her lead.

"Mr. Wu, just please dont release the rope, okay?" she requested her ethics instructor to hold on the rope that mainly leads the horse's to its way.

"Later after two rounds of walking around this mini jockey area I will release it and you try to maneuver Silver alone, okay?"

The milady merely nodded her head. She was nervous, it was her second time to ride on a horse’s back in her whole life and the first horse she rode was even a short stature pony which was really incomparable to Silver possessing a good and tall stature.

While walking around the vast horse course Mr. Wu started his equestrian lesson.

 

"So, Joo Hyun how do you call the art of riding on a horse during the Roman era?" he asked testing the level of basic knowledge that the milady have.

"It's called Equestrianism Mr. Wu." she briefly answered as she was trying to make her dressage more comfortable and consistent.

"Fair enough.” he bluntly praised his student. "So, remember three things that you should remember aside from the meaning of Equestrian alone."

"I understand Mr. Wu." she responded as an obedient student that she is.

"Maneuvering the horse according to its body signals is termed dressage. What you're familiarizing now is dressage, and what you're doing now is called equitation." he informatively explained.

She was intently listening and just nodded.

"Later once you learn the proper dressage, I'm going to teach you how to fasten the pace of your equitation Joo Hyun."

Understanding perfectly what her instructor meant, nervousness started to raise in her heart out.

"Y-you mean you'll be teaching me how to make Silver run?" she asked stammering.

"At least you should know how to control Silver. It's included in the milady's poise."

'Milady's poise, again.' the phrase that makes her felt nostalgic every time they have their ethics practical. The ethics instructor really knows how to give pressures to her really well.

She merely nodded, as the horse went a little jumpy as they walk around.

"Hooooeee." the mysterious gentleman calmed the horse from being jumpy. "Now you try to establish a good dressage."

The ethics instructor released the rope that was guiding the milady's horse all along.

The horse turned into different directions before she was able to completely establish its dressage.

"Mr. Wu, Mr. Wu please hold the rope again!" she was half pleading and half-panicking as the horse kept turning its head to different directions.

As soon as he saw his student not performing the proper dressage, he climbed up on the horses back and sat down at the back of the milady and assisted her to handle the horse bridal (the rope that was slightly inserted inside the horse's mouth that controls the movement of the horse) controlling the horse.

 

He then directed the horse to fasten its pace and showed the milady the proper equestriation.

Few moments later, after butler Kang informed that the milady will have a horseback riding lesson with her ethics professor, Jong-in intentionally followed his wife at the mansion's mini jockey stadium riding on his black stallion Lucas.

Right there and then he saw the mysterious gentleman and the milady riding on the same stallion sprint walking all-over the jockey course.

It was not really a very pleasant sight to see since he was having an instinct that his Kris-hyung is harboring feelings for his wife.

He then fastens the equitation of Lucas to get their attention and cause them a little distraction to their small equestrian lessons.

They slow down their pace as soon as they heard heavy steps of a running stallion.

"Jong-In." she called her husband as soon as she saw him riding the black stallion that was running, her eyes were widened and her lips were agape in amazement of how her husband was really good in such sport.

The heir intentionally passed by them.

The ethics instructor tried to get the milady's attention again, but she can't help but to admire the heir for his commendable equestrianism skills.

As he finished running a lap on the equestrian ring, the heir slows down his pace near to them.

"Joo Hyun." he bravely called his wife in front of the instructor. "How's your lesson with Kris-hyung going?"

"F-fair enough." she replied stammering still amazed for how cool her husband looks like when riding a horse.

Jong-In gave a sharp look at the ethics instructor for a millisecond and averted his attention back to his wife. "Would you like me to teach you instead?"

His question was intended to get into the ethics instructor's nerves.

"Huh?" the innocent milady was clueless of what was her husband wanted to convey but felt that she was caught between them.

The heir let out a proud little smirk, "I'm just kidding. Just go on Kris-hyung and later I want to give my wife a real equestrian ride treat." then he drove his stallion Lucas to run again.

'I'm sensing your challenge Jong-In. Let's see your confidence until the end.' the ethics instructor thought as he watched the heir go farther and make another lap again.

"Mr. Wu, do I have to learn how to ride a horse like him?" the milady suddenly asked.

"Well not really for this day, but in time maybe you can ride on Silver like that." then he asked, "Why do you ask?"

"Nothing. I just wondered if miladies should also be as good as the heirs."

"You don’t really have to, those things were meant for gentleman. We're ought to be great in everything we do. As for you, you need to focus how to acquire the milady poise."

"Ah, I see."

"As for now, hold this horse bride well and let me teach you how to fasten your pace." the ethics instructor held her hand and guide her to control her horse Silver.

She definitely find it really awkward. If Jong-In is not so touchy, Mr. Wu is less touchy than her husband, riding on the same stallion with him already drew her ill at ease the more when held her hand and went closer to her when he was instructing her to fasten their pace.

"Mr. Wu." she called him as their stance to each other was really that close, that if Mr. Wu is just a bit shorter his chin would be on her shoulder.

Good thing the mysterious gentleman knows how to sense the milady's awkwardness and went a little backward for her comfort.

From the other corner of the mini jockey stadium, the heir was quietly observing them with his eagle eyes.

He let the mysterious gentleman do his task of being his wife's instructor. As a gentleman he cannot be reckless, and he could only be sport even with annoying contenders.

Moments later a voice of a familiar girl called the heir's name from a short distance. "Jong-In!"

He then turned to the direction of where familiar voice came from - it was Krystal his long-term laboratory companion.

He drove his stallion to the heiress direction as she was walking with her own stallion and met with him halfway.

"Jung." he called the heiress by her surname. "What makes you come here?"

"Just got bored in our place. Dad doesn't permit me to visit Mom in California that's why I'm here." she explained as she hopped on her stallion's back.

"Duke be a good horse okay? We're here to make that straight face a loser for today." she patted her stallions head.

"Loser?" the heir let out a smirk. "Jung, even if you're an heiress I won’t get easy on you, this is horseback riding and you're inside my jockey course." he forewarned her.

"Let's just see. Let's compete here in your small jockey ring." she projected her cat-eyes with full-competency.

And with their eyes fully competent to each other they drove their hoses for a friendly race.

At first Jong-In was leading as he took the heiress not seriously but not until they got into the middle of the horse track that the heiress almost stood and made her stallion run in full speed. In the end, the heir was defeated in a close fight.

"Told you. Never underestimate Samsung's heiress." she proudly smirked on the heir as she stops her stallion and controlled its dressage.

He chuckled and reasoned out,” It’s because I was not that serious."

"Care for another round?" the heir initiated the challenge this time.

"Bring it on."

And they began racing again.

 

From not so far distance, the milady and her ethics instructor took a short break as she was watching her husband race with another person. It was until the racers pass near them that her husband was racing with a girl - a wealthy looking one.

As soon as they finish a lap again, the heiress made her stallion leap to win the race. For the second round, she won over Jong-In.

"I told you. Duke and I is going to make you a loser for today." she went down from her stallion.

"You’re doing good I bet you're practicing your horse riding skills." the heir took his loss optimistically and complemented the heiress for her victor.

"At least once a week, I ride on Duke so I got a lot better than before."

He then also got off from his stallion and went near to the heiress direction.

"Yah Jong-In you better practice if you don’t want to become a loser for life on me." she started to tease as she elbowed the side of the heir.

"Ice-Krystal, stop that. a heiress doesn't do that to her lab partner." he started to back.

They kept their warm conversation as they walk their way to the jockey shed.

The milady was watching them chat all along. She felt ill at ease seeing the heir having good time with another girl. She was still riding on her stallion when she accidentally hit it hard on its limb that made it went wild and uncontrollable. The worse part was it ran furiously on the jockey ring that even Mr. Wu was not able to it's rope before it ran wild.

"Mr.Wu!" the milady's screamed loudly.

"Joo Hyun!" the ethics instructor ran to her direction as he chased the angered stallion.

Not from a far, the other two saw the commotion and the heir immediately ran to the recue.

"Yah! Joo Hyun!" he shouted as he chased the wild stallion. "Kim Joo Hyun!" he screamed the name of his wife once more.

"Jong-In! Help!" she cried as her stallion kept running furiously and scares her to death.

He knew that riding on Lucas and chasing her angered horse-Silver would just give him a lot more pressure since his stallion was the most aggressive amongst the household's horses.

He was left with no choice but to stand in the middle of the jockey course and stop the angered horse with his arms widely extended.

"Joo Hyun-ah tightened your grip on Silver's horse bride!" he shouted.

And when the angered stallion was approaching he instructed his wife to jump off as he gives her the signal.

"Joo Hyun-ah! You jump! I said jump off of it.!" he shouted as the distance between him and the angered stallion was nearing.

"I can't" the milady cried her out loud.

"Trust me, jump!" he shouted once more.

The milady was so scared and was very hesitant to do what her husband told her to do that when she jumped off of her stallion the heir was not able to catch her properly and fell his back flat on the muddy ground of the jockey course.

She was on-top of him when they fell on the ground.  She thought it was already her death when she jumped, but fortunately the heir was able to catch her even if he failed to maintain his balance.

She was still crying on his chest when the heir hushed her, “Yah, stop now. You’re already safe.”

He then tried to push himself to sit up, but his lower back suddenly irked. Good thing the heiress and the ethics instructor were already there to help them stand up.

“Milady Kim are you okay?”  Mr. Wu asked her in a worried tone as he pulled her both arms for support.

“Jong-In, stand up now.” The heiress put his arm around her shoulders and helped him stand up.

“My back! It hurts.” The heir irked in pain when attempt to stand from the ground. She then let him sit on the ground for the moment.

“Yah! Jong-In, what’s wrong with you?” the heiress started to panic as she held a side of the heir’s face.

“My back! I can’t almost feel it anymore.” he cried.

“Are you okay?” the ethics instructor asked his pupil as he remove the dirt on his student’s trousers but the milady was worried she was not able to answer him and went to her husband’s side.

“What happened to Jong-In?” she asked he heiress almost sobbing.

“I don’t know either, his telling me that his back hurts I think he broke his back!” heiress Jung answered panicking.

“Jong-In –ah.” The milady cupped the face of his husband. “I’m sorry.”

“No need for that, at least you’re safe now, but please let’s go home I want to see the doctor.” He pleaded.

The milady then pulled herself together, wiped her tears and helped the heiress support his husband to stand up.

“Wu Fan, aren’t you going to help us?” the heiress asked the ethics instructor in her icy tone.

As soon as he heard the heiress request he pulled himself together for being dumb-founded by the milady and helped the young ladies to support the injured heir.

“Let me carry him.” He volunteered to carry the heir on his back, and he did.

The four of them went back to the mansion and made the physician look at the heir’s damaged back.


While waiting for the doctor’s check-up results the two young ladies were able to talk to each other. The milady was trembling for worrying about her husband’s condition as the heiress took the initiative to talk to her.

“Jong-In’s tough don’t bother that much.” The heiress gave her reassurance.

“How can I when I know it’s my carelessness that made him like that, what if something bad happens to him?” Seohyun reasoned out.

“Well, I guess that can’t be helped since you’re his wife.” Krystal massaged her nape. “To be honest I’m also worried about my partner I’m aware of his condition he already had an injury in his lower back when he was still young.”

The information just made her even feel worse, Jong-In never told her about his condition even before and now that an accident occurred it scared her that something seriously bad might happen to her husband.

“W-What happen back then?’ she asked stuttering.

“I don’t really know the exact story but it involves Wu Fan.”

“Wu Fan?” the milady wondered who the heiress was talking about.

“Wu Fan, young master Wu Fan of the Wu family. The one who helped you stand up few moments ago.” The heiress wondered why the milady did not know about the man she was talking about.

“You mean Mr. Kris Wu?”

“Exactly.”

“He is my ethics instructor, why do you call him Wu Fan?”

“That’s his Chinese name, he’s the young heir of the Wu family in China. Don’t you know?”

“So you mean that Mr. Wu is also an heir like Jong-In?’

“Obviously it’s a yes, except for the fact that Jong-In the wealthiest amongst us.” The heiress let out her hand to the milady and introduced herself, “I haven’t formally introduced myself to you. It’s Jung Krystal.”

The milady wiped the remaining tears on her eyes and shook her hand, “My name is Seo - I mean Kim Joo Hyun.”

“I’m sensing it right, you two weren’t really in that kind of relationship.” She unexpectedly uttered as she gently retract from their handshake.

“Well yes.” She shyly admitted.

The heiress averted her attention to the heir’s room, “But it seems that my partner is taking care of you very well.”

“But you two appear to be close to each other.” Seohyun expressed herself in an obvious low tone.

“Quite much, I’m his dongsaeng and we’ve been partnered all the time before he got married.” The heiress shrugged the fact coolly. “So technically you’re older than me – an unnie.”

“Well yes.” The milady shyly replied because of the obvious wits and poise that the heiress has.

Inside his bedroom the doctor was already done examining his lower back and was giving Jong-In precautions.

“I’m afraid you’re lower back injury may come back again, now it’s triggered. One wrong move and it will so please take care.”

“And what if it occurs again Ortho-nim?” he tried to ask coolly.

“I’m afraid that this time it will be more dangerous since you’re older and your bones cannot regenerate well like when you were younger.” The physician forewarned him.

“So what shall I have to do now?”

“Take a good rest for a week, don’t do extreme activities and do not even attempt to dance.”

“Dance?” he paused for a second, the reminder brought him what he lost year ago. “Okay.” He answered in an obvious disappointed tone.

“We’re all done so I will take my leave. Please take care of your self Jong-In.” the physician bid his farewell.

But before the physician got out of the room Jong-In asked him a favor, “Please don’t tell it to my wife, I don’t want her to worry about me.”

 

The physician just nodded and took his leave.


As soon as the physician got out of the room the milady and the heiress immediately approached him.

“Ortho-nim, how’s Jong-In?” milady Kim worriedly asked.

“He is – He is okay now, you don’t really have to worry Milady Kim.” The physician lied.

“Told you Jong-In’s tough.” The heiress then gripped on the milady’s wrist and pulled her inside the room. “Ortho-nim thank you very much.”

 

The heir was staring blankly on the ceiling thinking of what the Orthopedic just told him when the two young ladies entered the room.

Joo Hyun was hesitating to go near her husband and decided to stay in a corner as she was worried that she might cause him something bad again while the heiress immediately went beside his bed.

“Jong-In, you freaked us out. Good thing you’re tough.” The heiress started to brighten up the mood.

He was completely spacing out as he noticed the presence of his close friend. He then coldly replied, “He said I am already okay.”

He lied.

“But what’s with the straight face again if you’re okay?” she then held his cheeks with her hand and started to puff it as she .

He then averted his gaze to the heiress and ride on her jest to shrug of the forewarning of the physician, “Admit it Jung, you’re just worried about me.”

“In your dreams.” She let her tongue out.

He heaved a sigh, “You’re too full of yourself you know.”

“Well we have the same thinking Partner.” She emphasized the last word.

“Is that the way you look after an injured person?”

“If it’s you.” She started laughing.

Joo Hyun was silently watching the moment of the two in the corner when the heiress taught about her, “Your wife she’s with me.”

Jong-In averted his gaze to the door’s direction and saw his wife silently standing and was looking down on the ground.

“Joo Hyun-ah.” He called her name.

She then averted her gaze to his husband, she was half sobbing.

“Come here, are you okay now?” he asked her in a worried tone.

“I am.” She faked a smile, as she thought, ‘The heiress - she looks good with you.’