The Healer

Into Your World (너의 세상으로)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Into Your World (Angel) - EXO-K (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bewParlnTQ)     ------------------------- Naeun’s P.O.V:     I’ve hated the hospital ever since I can remember.   The smell made me nauseous, the bright, fluorescent lighting made me cringe, and the of dying patients, mothers in labour, and crying kids gave me restless hours of sleep as a child.   I can’t remember how I got there, or what exact age I first checked into the hospital, but I remember why I was there.   At a young age, I developed the cancer of the blood. I did not have any recollection of my parents whatsoever, so my childhood was just one big blur.   Of course, I didn’t quite know what my illness was back then. I was only six, after all. Nurses would gossip and stare at my condition in sympathy. I would be scared and lonely most of the time.   But the worst pains were both physical and emotional. Therapy and thick needles were filled to the top with medicine that hardly worked. It was so agonizing that I had lost the will to live.   Imagine that. Losing the will to live at age six. How pitiful.   Throwing up for a day without anything but a few minutes of body pains and dizziness would be a lucky day for me. Those days, I was thankful that there was nothing more.   When I first came into the hospital, I only had memories of crying. No one was there to support me or help me except a couple nurses and a few doctors that were constantly on-call. I had never asked for this disease. I had never wished for it. So why did I have to suffer so much as a small, innocent child?   My hair would fall out and I would occasionally wear bandannas on my head to cover up the baldness. A very kind doctor at the hospital would go out with me to the hospital’s gift shop and buy them for me.   If it was because of sheer pity or genuine kindness, I would never know.   Every night, I would look outside the glass window from my bed, looking out wistfully into the outdoors. I wanted to experience nature. I wanted to feel the touch of snow melt onto my fingertips. I wanted to rake up the leaves and jump into the piles during fall. Feel the soft petals of flowers and the hum of buzzing bees. Swim in the water just once…   But mostly, I wanted to make friends like any other kid at school and play together at recess.   However, I was locked.   Trapped.   Cooped up in that cage of a hospital in a comatose state, not even able to do anything unless I had a nurse or companion by my side.   Then one day, I had decided to finally leave the hospital and venture outside.   Although my heart seemed weak, my instincts told me to go for it.   I listened to my instincts.   With much thought on that bright sunny morning, I leapt out of my bed and yanked the tubes and IV needles off of me, sneaking silently out of the room.   When a doctor spotted me, my eyes widened and I pushed past a couple of nurses, running as fast as I could for the first time in my life.   “CATCH HER!”   “She’s gonna give out!”   “RUN! HURRY!”   I looked over my shoulder as they continued to tail me. I felt afraid… so afraid… But I just knew I had to run. If I was gonna die, I wasn’t gonna die in the hospital. I would die trying to escape this jail of mine… Die yearning to experience the outdoors at least once…   Just once…   When I reached the outdoors, a swirl of trees surrounded me. I winced as I tripped and fell down onto the soft patches of grass outside. I went tumbling.   Ouch. My fragile body felt like it had just broken into a million little pieces.   I laid down there, frozen for a second. *Is this it?* I wondered. *Is my life over so soon?*   Then a voice chortled, “Is she dead?”   “Hush, you.” Another snapped.   “She’s… pale. Very pale. Should we call the doctors here?”   “Are you kidding? And risk our identities?
Please log in to read the full chapter