Day 2

A Little Too Late

               You open the door to you and Yi Xing’s apartment. The lemon and guaiac wood scent of Yi Xing’s cologne still lingered in the living room. The missing piece of him already hurts you, a lot. You quickly walk into the bedroom and take your suitcase out, plopping it on the bed. The closet was hanging a lot of clothes, some that belonged to you and some that were Yi Xing’s. Your fingers trace the fabric of his clothes, reminiscing when he and you would use to cuddle on the sofa all night. You would lie on his chest and rub your cheeks against his clothes, remembering the touch of the soft cotton. He would then wrap his arms around you and you two will talk until one of you slowly falls asleep.  You quickly pull back and snap the memories out of you mind. “It will all be over soon…” You mumble yourself and continue to pack, folding your clothes neatly into the suitcase.

               Already finished packing, you sit at the dining table and stare at the chandelier that you begged Yi Xing to get. However, it didn’t shine as much anymore, looking dull under the lonely atmosphere of the apartment. The life that the light brought didn’t glow anymore; it slowly disappeared like your close relationship with Yi Xing.

               You take a deep sigh and take one last glance at the apartment that you and Yi Xing worked hard for. Your eyes fall upon a picture of the both of you on your 21st birthday. There was whipped cream all over you and Yi Xing’s faces and he held you in his arms tightly.

                                                                                            

             “Zhang Yi Xing!” You scream and run after him with your hands full of cream. “I’m going to get you.” You laughed evilly with a crackle.

             “Wait, wait.” Yi Xing tries to hold his laughter and puts his hands out to stop you, but you approach him slowly. Your fingers slab the soft sweet white texture across his cheeks as you giggled crazily. You drop a cherry on his hair and smile at your final product.

              “I should decorate cakes, I’m a born professional.” You smile smugly at him.

               Yi Xing grins and wraps his arms around your waist. “Let’s spend the rest of our birthdays like this, maybe even with our children.”

               “Who says that I’m going to marry you?” You scoff and look away.

               “Do you think I’ll ever let you go?” Yi Xing laughs and pinches your nose. “You’re mine forever.”

                                                                                                        

                What happened to us…

                 You slam the door close before any more memories get to you and pressed the elevator button. The taxi driver downstairs immediately takes your suitcase and puts it in the back trunk while you get into the front seat.

               “Changsha Airport please.” You mumble.

               “Yes m’am.”

               The car starts leaving the quiet neighbourhood and enters the louder portion of Changsha. You peer out the window and start remembering your conversation with Yue Mu. (This is means mother in law in Chinese)

                                                                                            

               

                “__________, you don’t need to tell me anything, I know what you are about to say.” Yue Mu smiles gently at me.

               “Yue Mu…I’m sorry…” I whisper, “I just don’t know what to do anymore.” Yue Mu smooths my hair with her hands softly.

               “I should be the one who’s sorry. My stupid son isn’t smart enough to appreciate the treasure he has in front of him. You are a wonderful girl, _________, my son is also a good man, but he doesn’t understand how to treat a girl properly.” Yue Ma sighs, “I’m so glad that you stayed with him in his hardest moments as a trainee. Thank you, _________, thank you.”

               You look at Yue Mu and hug her, feeling your tears drip down your cheek.

               “Remember __________, you will always be my daughter in law, even if you and Yi Xing don’t have a happy ending.” Yue Mu pats your back and whispers in your ear.

               You nod your head, “I know, thank you.”

                                                                                            

 

               You realize that your eyes were getting a little wet as well. You quickly wipe it off with the sleeve of your sweater. You stare hard outside as the taxi slowly comes to a stop. The door opens and you slide your feet out. The chilly, cold wind of Hunan hits your cheeks like needles.

               “I’ll miss the chilliness here.” You mumble as you stride to the trunk and get your own luggage out. The taxi driver seems surprised by your quick actions and stands there awkwardly while you do everything yourself. You hand him $250 rmb, “No change.” You smile and walk away, ready to take your flight back to New York.