Night 160

A Little Too Late

             White was the only thing Yixing could make out.

             White walls, white tiles, white uniforms. The sickly color makes him want to puke in disgust. The hospital shows no signs of life, not at this moment. It was like a gate to him, the entrance to life, also the exit to life. This thought makes his heart bang violently against his ribcage. No, there is no way that he will let her slip out of life.

             “What room is _______ in?” Yixing catches his breath as he runs to the front counter.

             “You have to fill this form first.” The nurse replies, handing him a piece of paper. It was a simple form that asks for the name and relationship to the relative.

             What is their relationship now?

             Boyfriend?

             Lover?             

             Friend?

             After printing the information clearly, Yixing hands the sheet of paper back to the nurse.

             “Room 1501.”

             Yixing runs along the hallway, desperately looking for the 4 given digits on the door.

             “1508…1505….1503….1501.”

             Without another thought, Yixing turns the doorknob and opens the door.

             All the figures in the room turn to the sudden appearance of him, eyes red from tears.

             Yixing’s eyes fall onto the bed, where you are lying, sleeping without any signs of disturbance on your face. Yixing takes another step across the room, observing the silent angel, hoping that his eyes were playing tricks on him. However, when he leaned in, there was no doubt that it was you on the bed, the once-red lips now pale as ever, the flushed cheeks now sick and gray.

             “W-what happened?” Yixing’s voice breaks as he attempts to swallow the lump in his throat.

             “She…she fell off a yacht and her head hit the edge of the boat, putting her into a coma.” Her aunt’s voice stutters, “One of her major nerve system got damaged, but the doctors were able to fix it. However, the lapse of time of having no nerve connected to the retina permanently impaired her eyesight.” She manages to whisper the last part loud enough for Yixing to hear.

             Permenant.

             It can’t be.

             You.

             Blind.

             Visually impaired.

             Unable to see the lively sparkle in your eyes.

             Unable to show you the most beautiful sights in the world.

             Unable to watch him perform.

             “How did she fall off a boat in the first place? Wasn’t there anyone looking out?” Yixing’s tone rises, almost sounding angry. He couldn’t help it, he felt rage, disappointment, and guilt. If he realized earlier the importance of your existence, then you wouldn’t have gone to New York. You wouldn’t have started a new life. You wouldn’t have gotten into an accident. You wouldn’t have been blind.

             “Oh god.” Yixing digs his face into your soft cotton sheets, holding your hand tightly and shudders in frustration with himself.

             “She was trying to retrieve something from the deck. A necklace…” A foreign voice speaks, “I should have been there…I should have stopped her.” He mumbles.

             Yixing’s head jerks to the direction of the voice, taking note of his appearance. “What kind of necklace can possibly mean so much to her to risk her life like that!” He screams silently, biting his tongue to control himself.

             “This one.” The man dangles a small silver chain necklace with a diamond studded star. Yixing flinches in surprise and softens. It was the necklace that he had given you on their 1st Christmas together. The man drops the necklace into Yixing’s hand, “You’re her ex-boyfriend right?”

             Lay looks at him. He was able to recognize look in the stranger’s eyes.

             “Yes.”

              There is no doubt that the stranger looks at you with nothing but love and affection in his eyes. Yixing could feel that the man before him was deeply in love with you. But, he was unsure of your feelings for this man. “Are you…” Yixing looks down, “Are you her boyfriend?”

             The stranger looks almost surprised for Yixing’s bluntness, then his eyes start to gleam with determination.“No, not currently. But I intend to make her mine.” Jason looks at Lay in the eye, exposing his jealousy at once.

             “Don’t keep your hopes up.” Yixing returns with an equally subtle threatening yet soft gaze. The man turns his back and exits the room without saying another word. Your aunt gives a small squeeze to Yixing’s hand.

             “We’ll be heading home now. We will come back tomorrow.” She forces a small smile and leaves with your uncle.

             Standing there alone, watching you lie there lifelessly. Yixing feels useless, there was not one thing he could do to help you. He pulls a chair from the side and sits beside your bed, his hands wrapping around yours.

             “_________, I’m here.” Yixing whispers, “Please wake up…” His voice starts to choke, tears coming out of his eyes. “I’m so sorry, I shouldn’t have let you go. Please tell me I’m not too late, please.” Yixing’s fresh tears trickles down his cheeks, landing onto your bedsheets. However, you still made no movement and response to his words. Your body laid there as if you were a life size doll, no warmth, no life.

             Yixing caresses your cheeks softly with his thumb, swallowing the tears and creating that salty wet flavor in his throat. “After I read your letter, I was so lost and confused, making stupid mistakes…Fortunately, Kris brought me back together and then I was able to realize how much you mean to me…how your smile makes my day, how your childish complaints make me love you a little more each time, how your lame jokes put a smile on my face.” Yixing lets out a small chuckle. “Seriously, and my members tease me for being lame, wait till they hear your jokes.”

             “Did you know? Last week EXO-M won album of the month, everybody was celebrating and oh, Xiumin got so drunk that he started wailing at Han for always calling him a Baozi.” Yixing starts to laugh, going through his memories. “EXO-K was there too, the members were hyperactive as usual and Chanyeol started to have a beatbox competition with D.O. and insisted for me to join but in the end he got so drunk as well and fell asleep hugging Baek like a teddy bear.” Yixing pauses, wiping his tears while chuckling. “You should have been there _______, it was hilarious.”

             Yixing’s voice turns solemn again. “Please wake up ________. It is fine if you can’t forgive me, I just want to see you up and well again. Even if you lost your eyesight, you will still be the only one in my eyes. There are so many people who misses you, your family, your friends in Hunan, my mother, EXO, and….me. I missed you so much it hurts.”

             Yixing stands up, taking a deep breath. The whole room is filled with suffocating emotions that he can no longer handle.

             Softly closing the door behind him, he walks to the bench across the hallway. Yixing hides in face into his hands, unable to accept and deal with the harsh and painful reality.

             “It was successful.”

             Yixing’s ears perks up as he overhears a conversation at the end of the hall.

             “The patient lost a lot of blood throughout the surgery but he was able to make it.”

             “So do you mean…?” Another voice joins in.

             “Yes, Mr. Wellings has overcome the heart transplant surgery.”

             The sounds of muffled cries of happiness echo throughout the hall, bringing a temporary warmth to the depressing atmosphere.

             “Thank you, thank you Doctor!” An old couple starts hugging the man in front of them, crying tears with joy.

             “Don’t thank me, thank the donor.” The Doctor smiles softly at the two.

 

a/n: SORRY GUYS

HAVEN'T UPDATED FOR AGESSSSSSS