First Day

A Little Too Late

You run to the airport carts and pulled one out. The wheels were a bit crooked making you put pressure to the right to keep it straight. Yi Xing takes his luggage one by one out of the taxi’s trunk and places it on the cart. You observe Yi Xing’s annoyed face as one of the straps on his suitcase gets stuck in a net in the trunk. He aggressively pulls it out by force. You take the money that Yi Xing gave you and hands it to the driver. Once Yi Xing closes the trunk door, the taxi drives away with any hesitation.

               “What a bastard, he didn’t even offer to help.” Yi Xing mutters in his leopard face mask. You give him a small smile and push the cart into the airport. You and Yi Xing wait in line for the check-in, making sure he brought everything he needs.

               “Your mom and I made some marinated eggs for you to eat on the plane.” You open your bag and take out a box with warm food inside. Yi Xing rolls his eyes slightly and pushes the box to you.

               “I told you guys not to make me anything, the smell is too strong…” Yi Xing sighs with a hint of an annoyed tone. You obediently nod your head and put the food back into your bag. Soon enough, one of the attendants call you and Yi Xing over to counter #3.

               “Passport please.”

               You give Yi Xing’s passport to the attendant with a small smile as Yi Xing unloads his luggage and puts it on the baggage registration.

               “Only one for Mr. Zhang Yi Xing?” The agent asks. You give her a small nod.  She looks at you and Yi Xing then continues doing her paperwork behind the counter.

               You take out a pen and help Yi Xing write the tags for his luggage.

               “Miss?”

               You look up, “Yes?”

               “Please enter Gate 58 before 11:20.” She smiles and hands the boarding pass and passport to you. You thank her and walk to find Yi Xing who was putting as the airport cart.

               “When did she say I have to go by?” Yi Xing asks.

               “Before 11:20, we still have half an hour.” You reply, hoping that he would decide to stay with you for a little while longer.

               Yi Xing takes a quick scan of his watch, “I should get going.”

              “Oh. Okay.” You mumble. The two of you walk in silence to the entrance of the security check.

               “Take care of yourself and my mother okay?” Yi Xing finally gives you a small smile.

                “Make sure you eat enough and don’t overwork yourself.” You can feel tears running to your eyes, “Don’t be lazy and not wear a jacket when it’s cold outside.” You quietly remind him.

               “Yeah, of course. _______, it isn’t my first time returning to Seoul from a break.” He laughs quietly.

               You stare at him and he pulls you into a small hug.

               “Be careful, I’ll miss you okay?” You whisper in his ear.

               “I know.”

               Yi Xing releases the hug and looks around making sure that nobody saw the two of you hugging. He then takes hold on his passport, getting ready to end the farewell.

               “Wait!” You pull out a card from your bag and hands it to Yi Xing, “Yi Xing, open it after a week in Seoul.”

               Yi Xing gives a bit of an irritated look, “A Letter? Are we children again?” He tries to hide his impatience with you by letting out a small laugh.

               “Just…read it, please.” You mumble.

               “Yeah, okay.” Yi Xing smiles slightly and carelessly stuffs your letter into his bag. “See you soon, ________.” He hesitates, “Love you.”

               You give Yi Xing a bittersweet smile, “I love you too.” You whisper and watch your tears blur your vision of Yi Xing’s figure disappearing through the crowd of people.

               I’m sorry Yi Xing, I just can’t say “See you later” to you. Because, just now was be our last moment together.