Dance Studio

What is love

 

The bell rang before the teacher could even finish discussing the last question. All the students were already halfway finish packing their bags.

The teacher sighed and closed her own book. “Don’t forget to revise this chapter!”

 

 

I unhook my bag that is hanging at the side of my desk and started putting my things inside. I was one of the last to leave the classroom.

 

I stood up and found myself looking down at a small white box with blue ribbon next to my shoes. I picked it up and saw a tiny card on it.

 

 

My dear Yuni.

 

 

Yuni? Isn’t she the girl who sits behind me in class?

 

 

I ran out of the classroom when I realised she wasn’t around anymore. The moment I was out in the crowded corridor, I was pushed around.

 

It wasn’t hard looking for her, since she was famous for having the curliest hair on earth.

 

She was talking to a boy when I tapped on her shoulder. She turned around and stared at me with her big eyes.

 

I handed her the box. “Here. I think you dropped this.”

She snatched it away and opened the box immediately, letting out a gasp. “Ommo! It’s gone!”

“What?” the boy next to her said. “What’s gone?”

“The necklace.” She cried. “The necklace you gave me!”

 

The boy took the box away and examines it before turning towards me. “Hand it over.”

“Huh?” I shook my head. “I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“The heart shape necklace in the box!”

“I…I didn’t even open the box.”

 

“Liar!” Yuni said and pointed a finger at me.

I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh. “Look. I saw the box on the floor with your name on it so I picked it up. I did not open it, okay?”

 

She grabbed onto the boy’s arm, who I assume it’s her boyfriend and starting whining. The boy grabbed my bag from my hand and started ping it.

 

“Hey!”

 

He poured all the contents out on the floor and kicked them apart with his feet.

 

Before I could even process what I was doing, the book in my hand has landed on his shoulder.

 

He looked up in pain, clutching his shoulder with one hand.

 

“How dare you!” Yuni screamed and slapped me on my face. My glasses flew away from the impact.

 

 

 

Oh crap. I’m officially blind.

 

 

Ignoring the pain on my cheek, I dropped down and started feeling my hands on the floor. It’s useless, but that’s the least I can do right now, since no one is helping.

 

The boy let out a frustration yell and kicked my books further away. And how do I know that? Because the book just hit me on my back. Damn him.

 

 

He started yelling something, demanding that I hand over the necklace. What necklace? I didn’t even open the box!

 

I swear someone had just waltz passed in front of me for a second, but I ignore that feeling and continue looking for my glasses.

 

Then, someone came over and grabbed my hand away from the floor. I shook my head quickly, try to pull my hand away from the person but his grip was too strong.

 

 

“I’ll take it from here.” Someone said. No, not just someone, I know that voice.

 

 

“Kyung Soo hyung?” The person who was holding my hand gasped. Wait a minute…I know this voice too.

 

 

 

“J-jong In?”

 

 

I stopped struggling for a moment. “W-what? What’s going on? Did you found my glasses?” I asked them both.

 

 

 

“N-no.” Jong In replied. “Hyung, stay with Hana. I’ve got this.”

 

“Got…what? No…Just find my glasses!”

 

 

Jong In ignored me and stood up, hands slipping away from mine. Kyung Soo held my shoulder and asked me to stay put before walking away to Jong In.

 

 

“Hello lovely Yuni.”

 

 

I can’t help but to roll my eyes. What the heck is Jong In doing? Doesn’t he know that’s her boyfriend right over there?

 

 

While they were conversing, someone grabbed my face and I felt something poking my ear.

 

 

“Oww!” I yelped and pushed the person’s hand away. When I open my eyes, I could finally see clearer…er…a bit.

 

 

Well, that’s because the lens on the left side is broken and the frame has isn’t straight anymore.

 

 

I adjusted my glasses so it won’t fall off and looked up. Joon Myun mouthed a hi and helped me up on my feet.

 

 

“Sorry it’s broken. At least I found it.” He smiled at me sheepishly. I just nodded my head and quickly turned around to look at the two boys.

 

 

“Ah.. Heart shape necklace you say” I heard Jong In speaking. “That sounds really familiar. Don’t you think so, Yuni?”

 

 

“She stole it didn’t she. The girl over there stole it right?” the boy said and pointing his finger at my direction. 

 

 

Kyung Soo took a step forward and held his hand out. “Don’t accuse Hana. She would never do such a thing!”

 

 

 

 

Those words made me felt warm and happy. Kyung Soo just defended me. No, now it’s not the time to giggle.

 

 

 

“She?” Jong In said and shook his head. “Nah. It’s right here.”

 

 

He pulled out a golden heart shaped necklace from who-knows-where and tossed it to her boyfriend. Students started gasping and whispering again.

 

 

“Confessing to me with a gift from your boyfriend?” Jong In said and shook his head. “You’re worse than I thought.”

 

 

 

“Huh?” I blurred out and looked at Joon Myun, who just laughed and shrugged his shoulders.

 

 

Jong In and Kyung Soo walked back towards my direction, leaving the couple to settle their own bickering.

 

 

“By the way.” Jong In said out loud and turned towards the crowd. “If I ever see any of you making fun of this girl over here, you will answer to me.”

 

I tighten my grip on Joon Myun’s arm and leaned closer to him. “What the heck is he doing.” I muttered under my breath.

 

 

“Hmm….Protecting you?” he replied. “I didn’t know you both were close.”

“That’s because we’re not!”

 

 

Kyung Soo grabbed onto the hood of Jong In’s coat and yanked him over to us before pushing him towards Joon Myun. He pulled my hand away from Joon Myun’s and dragged me away from the crowd, down the stairs.

 

 

“W-wait I need to go to the library. I need to go up!”

“You’re going home.” He hissed and slung his arm over my shoulder before pulling me with him.

 

“Hey.. Ow!” I cried and pushed him away. “You’re hurting me!”

 

He ignored me and practically dragged me down the stairs with him. I peered up and took a look his expression. His eyebrows were furrowed and his lips were pressed together and are tightened.  It looks like he was trying to control his anger as he exhaled through his nose loudly.

 

 

I missed a step on the stairs and went sliding down. Kyung Soo caught my waist on time and spun me around.

 

 

“Careful!” he almost yelled.

 

I wrapper my arms around his back and leaned my cheek against his chest.

 

“That was….scary.” I breathe out. He pulled me closer in his embrace.

 

“Shh…..I got you.” He whispered softly. “I’m sorry though.”

 

 

I could feel his heartbeat against my ears. As much as it sounds weird, it calms me down even more.

 

 

Well, just for a few seconds.

 

“Yah! No hugging!”

 

 

I was pulled away from Kyung Soo into another person’s embrace.

 

 

“It’s Kyung Soo hyung for you Jong In, not ‘yah’.” Joon Myun chuckled at us. “And why are you hugging her?”

 

It took Jong In a few seconds to register that he has his arms wrapped tightly around my shoulder. He cleared his throat and pushed me away.

 

 

“N-nothing.” He mumbled, avoiding eye contact with me.

 

 

I fixed uniform and sighed at my broken glasses. “Oh, I have library duties.”

 

 

“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” Kyung Soo asked, looking concerned.

 

“Do you have to go?” Jong In added.

 

“Yes.” I replied. “There are some new books that need labelling. I have to go.”

 

I pushed up my glasses until I could see more clearly through the crack. “Thank you for…..erm… earlier. I still have no clue what just happen back there.”

 

“Me neither.” I heard Kyung Soo muttered at the corner.

 

“Are you sure you want to go for duty? You can’t even see properly.” Joon Myun frowned.

 

“I’ll be fine.” I said.

 

“Where are you contact lenses?” Jong In suddenly asked. “Go change them.”

 

“I….I don’t have them with me right now.”

 

“What?” He said. “How are you going to dance later on? We have practice.”

 

“Well, I have a set in my locker in the dance studio.” I said.

 

Jong In sighed and walked closer towards me. “You know what? I’ll help you with this….whatever you need to do in the library.”

 

“B-but…you don’t have to-”

 

“It’s fine.” He said and turned me around so that I was now facing the stairs to walk up. “We can go to the dance studio together.”

 

“I didn’t know you both dance.” I heard Joon Myun’s voice behind, sounding amuse. Oh when is he not amuse.

 

“Don’t push her.” a gentler voice called. Jong In stopped pushing my shoulders and I stood still at one spot on the staircase.

 

Kyung Soo appeared next to me and gave me a soft smile that makes my heart flutter ten times. “I can drop you off at the dance studio. I’ll help you with your duties too.”

 

 

Jon In mumbled something under his breath before pushing me up the stairs again.

 

 

 

“Hey, don’t leave me alone!” Joon Myun hollered from behind again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

~(Kyung Soo POV)~

 

 

This is weird.

 

Jong In has never been interested in anything around him. He would rather spend time all alone.

 

This is the first time I had ever seen him getting so involved in a person, and even volunteer to help her. But of course, he is still Jong In.

 

 

“Get your smelly shoes off the books!”

 

 

Jong In yelped when Hana hit his legs with a ruler.

 

 

“Yah! I was trying to sleep!”

 

 

“Who sleeps with their legs on the table?” she hissed. “You’re no help at all.”

 

 

“At least I’m keeping you company right?” he said. Hana stared at him dully and sighed.

 

 

“You’re not even helping when you said you would.”

 

“Well I’m trying to make sure that you won’t get lost on your way to dance practice with that spectacle of yours.”

 

 

“Kyung Soo oppa is sending me there, how would I get lost?”

 

 

The warm feeling and flip flopping heartbeats are back. I get it every time she calls me oppa. I’m so weird…..

 

 

They continue to bicker with Hana pointing the ruler at him every time she said something.

 

 

“Urgh, you’re so annoying!” she groaned. “I really don’t like you.”

 

 

My hand froze mid-air from reaching for the book stamp. I quickly looked up at Jong In.

 

His eyes were blank, as always. He suddenly stood up and walked towards the pile of books that was placed beside Joon Myun.

 

 

“J-jong In, I’m sorry. I didn’t-”

 

“Are these the ones that need to be coded?” He asked with a monotone voice.

 

“Erm….yeah.” Hana said, looking worried that she had just said a sensitive word to Jong In. “But you don’t have to, I mean….”

 

“How do you code th-”

 

Hana placed her hand on top of his when he reached out for a book. “It’s okay.” She said softly. “You look tired. Take some rest?”

 

Jong In stared at their hands for a moment before sighing. “Sorry.” He muttered. “I’ll…I’ll help too. Teach me.”

 

I called him over and taught him how to stamp the new books while Joon Myun and Hana started coding the books. We all work in silence, only the sound of pen scribbling and book flipping were heard.

 

 

The ride to the dance studio was quite too, none of us spoke. It was only when we had arrived they both thank me and left the car.

 

“They look quite close. Don’t you think so?” Joon Myun said after the car took a turning.

 

As much as I hate to admit, they did look close. Even closer that how I feel to Hana.

 

He chuckled and patted my arm. “Are you jealous?”

 

“What?” I bite my lip and turned away. “W-why would I be? There’s nothing to be jealous about them. I mean they are dance partners, so they should be close, right? I mean-”

 

 

“You’re babbling.” He said, eyes on his phone screen with a smile. “You’re jealous.”

 

 

“I’m…not.” I sighed. “Who are you texting anyways?”

 

 

The car pulled over in front of Joon Myun’s house. He dumped a heavy book onto my lap before opening the car door himself.

 

 

“Enjoy reading that book.” He laughed and waved at me.

 

 

I stared at the worn out black book with gold lining on the side before realising why I had that book in the first place.

 

 

I rubbed my cheek with my fist and sighed. I had forgotten to give her the book.

 

 

I’ll just give it to her tomorrow.

 

I looked down at the book on my lap and then to my phone that was inside my bag.

 

 

 

Nah. I’ll just give it to her tomorrow.

 

 

But there was a voice nagging behind my back that tells me to make a detour back to the dance studio.

 

 

 

I wouldn’t mind. I thought. In fact I feel like seeing her again. I didn’t even get to talk her her since Jong In and Joon Myun were around the whole time.

 

 

What if I look like a stalker?

 

 

But I’m her boyfriend after all. That won’t make me a stalker right?

 

 

My eyes widen and I slapped my face a few times with both of my hands.

 

 

No..nonono…I did not just call myself that. Nonono….

 

 

“Is it hot in the back sir? Should I turn up the temperature?”

 

 

 

“W-what? No I’m fine.” I exhaled shakily. “I’m not sweating.”

 

 

 

“Your face is really red though.”

 

 

I shook my head and buried my face in my palms. They do feel hot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

“Hey.”

 

I stopped talking to the girls and turned around. “Oh. Hi Jong In.”

 

The corner of his mouth lifted as he wiped his sweat with a towel. I turned back to the girls and told them which technique they need to focus on.

 

“See you both tomorrow at 4.”

 

We bid each other good bye before retreating to the locker room.

 

 

“Hey.”

 

I jumped a little when I realised that Jong In had quietly followed me all the way here.

 

“Sorry.” He said and paused in front of a locker.

 

“Do you need anything?” I asked him politely. He pressed a finger on his lips and shook his head.

 

“Oh okay.” I said and open door of my locker.

 

It wasn’t intentional. I didn’t mean to call him annoying, but he really is at that moment in the library.

 

He didn’t walk away though this time. He just sat there next to Kyung Soo, quietly stamping the books.

 

 

“I kept my legs straight.”

 

 

I swallowed a mouthful of water. “Huh?”

 

Jong In eyes were still glued at his locker. “The cabriole. I keep my legs straight.”

 

“Oh. That’s….good.”  Why was he telling me this?

 

 

“I….I took your advice.” He continued. “I didn’t lift my leg too high this time.”

 

 

“Ah…er…Good for you then.” I said softly.

 

 

What was I supposed to do? Applaud? Pat him on the shoulder? That would be awkward.

 

 

He suddenly laughed and it sounded dry. “Sorry, I don’t even know why I am telling you this.”

 

 

“No.” I said. “It’s okay. It’s good that you-”

 

 

 

 

There was a blue light blinking from my phone. I totally forgot what I had wanted to say when I saw the name on the screen.

 

 

“Hello?” I said as I accepted the call.

 

“Erm…Hana?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Are you….are you still in the dance studio?”

 

“Yes.” I replied.

 

“Oh. Oh that’s a relief.” He chuckled.

 

“Is everything alright?” I asked him.

 

He cleared his throat before answering, “Are you free right now?”

 

 

Even if I’m not I would still make time for you.

 

“Yes.” I forced out a word rather than spilling my real thoughts.

 

“Oh. Okay. Erm… Can you come out and meet me?” he asked carefully.

 

“What? Where?”

 

 

I could see Jong In frowning from the corner of my eyes.

 

“Hmm…the small café at the side of the entrance? I’m right there.”

 

“Is everything okay? Why did you come back?”

 

“Y-yeah. Yeah everything is fine. 5 minutes. It won’t take long.” He said, laughing nervously.

 

“Okay. I’m on my way.” I said and hung up.

 

“Who was that?” Jong In asked as I shut the locker door, holding only my phone.

 

 

I responded to him while running out of the room, not caring whether he heard me or not.

 

 

 

 

“It’s Kyung Soo oppa.”

 

 

 

 

-

~(Kyung Soo POV)~

 

I had no idea why had I decided to make a detour back here. I could have just given it to her tomorrow. It’s a good thing she’s still around, or I would make a fool out of myself.

 

I shifted my weight from my left feet to the right, biting my lips and hugging the heavy book that was safely tucked under my arm.

 

 

No, I am not a stalker. I’m just……giving her a book. Yeah. A book.

 

 

“Kyung Soo oppa!” her voice called. I inhaled deeply before turning around to face her.

 

 

I blinked my eyes a few times and stayed mute until she waved a hand in front of my face.

 

“Oppa? Hello?”

 

She was wearing a cream coloured long sleeve sweater, a white ballet skirt with white tights underneath. Her hair was tied up in a braided bun.

 

 

And she wasn’t wearing her broken glasses but contact lenses.

 

 

She looks so different right now. But it wasn’t bad, she looked more…..feminine.

 

 

“What is that?” she pointed at the book that I was holding. I held it out to her.

 

“I wanted to give this to you.”

 

She gasped and practically grabbed the book away from my hands. “Oh my gosh!”

 

I scratched my head and smile. “Yeah. For you.”

 

She looked like a kid that had just receive a Christmas present. “You borrowed it for me?”

 

I nodded my head shyly. No, no blushing. You are a man!

 

“I…..I…Thank you.” She whispered. “Thank you. OH gosh thank you!”

 

She looked so happy, it makes me happy too. It made me realised that I wanted to see her smile often.

 

“You could have just given it to me tomorrow or something.” She laughed and hugged the book close to her chest. “Thank you so much.”

 

“You’re welcome.” I beamed at her.

 

Hana flipped through the pages of the book until her phone started ringing. She spoke hurriedly before hanging up. “Sorry. I have to go now.”

 

“That’s alright. I was just about to leave too.” I said, feeling a little disappointed.

 

“Okay.” She exhaled, still tapping something on her phone.

 

“You look different without your glasses.” I said.

 

“Yeah?” she said and looked up at me. “People say I look better without them.” She chuckled. “But I hate wearing contacts.”

 

 

 

“I think you look prettier with glasses.” I blur out before I could stop myself.

 

 

Both of our eyes widen at the same time and she looked away with a shy smile.

 

“You think so?” she asked. I open my mouth and closed them back in case I said something embarrassing again.

 

Her phone rings again and she gave me an apologetic look. “Sorry, I need to go. I still have a class to supervise.”

 

 

“Go.” I chirp out. She raised her eyebrow before laughing.

 

 

“Thank you so much!” she lifted the book and walked backwards. “See you tomorrow, oppa!”

 

 

 

 

This time, I let myself blush freely and grinned widely like an idiot.

 

 

 

“See you tomorrow, Hana.” 

 

 



 

I’m sorry for updating after one decade or something. I’m really stressed out right now with school and lots more stuff. I’m sort of a spontaneous writer, I plot out whatever I think of as I write. I don’t really have a full plan for my stories.

 

 

Yeah. So sorry to make you guys wait for so long =( Thank you for waiting though =D

 

You can read my other stories while waiting. But then again, I don’t update them often too haha. Yeah I know I . =(