chapter fifteen.

The Geek and The Jerk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a26KbAKbCs


You sighed as you looked at yourself in the mirror. You weren't as perky and happy as you were as usual. There was a knock on your door. "Jiji, 5 minutes until we have to go," Xiumin said, and you heard the sound of footsteps descending away. You laid down on your bed and let out a sigh. *Umma... Today's graduation day... I wish you were here to see me walk on the stage and receive my diploma.* You turned to your side and glanced at the happy family in the picture that was on your nightstand. Just you, Xiumin, your dad, and mom. Smiling.


Luhan exhaled and fixed his tie of his polo shirt. "Knock knock~" a voice called from Luhan's door.
Luhan chuckled. "Come in, mama," he replied.
His mother walked inside with a big smile. "There's my son. The valedictorian~" his mother squealed. Luhan smiled and sat down on his bed. His mother sat next to him. "Hannie, have you thought of what college you're going to?" his mother asked.
He beamed. "Peking University."
His mother's smile dropped. "I-in Beijing?" He nodded. She let out a hesitating laugh. "Luhan, dear. I don't think we can--"
"It's okay mama. I have everything sorted out. I even bought us a small apartment in Beijing, then we don't have to be separated. I can come home everyday where you can take care of me. And I can see Jiyoung a lot, too. You won't have to worry about me."

She softly smiled at her son, but hesitated. "Sweetie, I know that you're excited to go to Beijing and study.  But, the only reason you're going back there is because you just want to be with Jiyoung, isn't it?" she asked. Luhan didn't reply. His mother sighed. "And, you're old enough to not have me take care of you. I've seen you take care of yourself when you were young. And you seem better off without me taking care of you. What are you going to do without your friends then? Sure you're going to have Jiyoung and make new friends, but the boys know you more than anyone else. Even more than me."
"They're coming with me, mama," he said, lowering his head.
His mother put her hand over his. "Maybe they are. But they can't just follow where ever you're going. They will soon have a family and their own lives to take care of." She paused. "And what about Jieun? Aren't you guys friends?"

*Friends. Pft, yeah right...* He sat there in silence.
His mother sighed once more and patted his hand. "Maybe you should think over the summer about where you're going to study. I'll leave you alone for a moment. We'll be leaving in 5 minutes." She got up and closed the door shut as she walked out of Luhan's room.
Luhan sat emotionless on his bed, head lowered. *Friends.*

"Call me oppa," he said.
You looked at him. "What?"

He rolled his eyes and sighed. "Must I have to repeat everything I say?" You blinked. He groaned. "Just call me oppa!"
You looked at him when he shouted the word 'oppa' at you. "Why should I?"
He shrugged. "I know you well enough. It seems as if we're close enough, like friends," he said.
"We're not 
that close! I wouldn't even call you as my friend."
Luhan looked at you. "Oh really? The times that you've been treating me at your house, it seems like you really wanted me to be your friend," he said.
You started to change the subject. "You didn't tell me where you were going for college. Where are you going?" you asked.
"None of your business," he said.

You pouted. "Oh come on! I thought you said that we were friends! And friends tell friends things! OPPA! TELL ME!" you said.

Luhan scoffed. "Now you say we are?" he said and shook his head, getting up. "I'm going to a college in Beijing." He took a step foreword, getting ready to walk away, but his leg was caught. He looked down and saw you hugging his leg.
"NOO!! You're leaving me too?!" you cried. Luhan tried to get out of your grip, but you held him back. "SOME FRIEND YOU ARE! LEAVING YOUR FRIEND BEHIND IN SEOUL!" you started to fake a sob.
"Let go, Piggie," he said coldly.
You shook your head stubbornly. "NO!"
He sighed. "Let go!" he said a little louder.
"Okay," you said and let go of his leg.
Luhan shook his head. "Weirdo," he mumbled and walked away.
You pouted. "He really left me?!"


"Jung Jieun," you heard your name called. You sheepishly walked up on the school's stage and walked towards the principal, receiving your diploma. Claps and cheers were made in the audience. You turned to glance at your brother and father's seat. Your brother was there. But not your father. You frowned and walked off stage.
You met Sori and Hara once you've gotten off the stage. They gave you a tight hug before you walked away. You looked up and saw Lay. You pressed your lips into a firm line and walked away before he could come up to you.
You walked up to the school's roof and sighed as you gotten up there. You looked over to the sun setting over the horizon and sighed again. "You're here too?" a voice behind you asked.
You turned around and met Luhan. "Oh, yeah..." you said. "Sorry, I'll leave now--"
"What would you do?" he suddenly asked.
You looked at him. "Huh?"

Luhan lowered his head. "What would you do, if you were planning to go somewhere just to be with the person you'd want to be, but you're not with the friends who known you for your whole life?"
His question suddenly made you think of Seyong, but then you glared at him. "Hello! You're asking the dumb one here. Ask someone who's smart," you replied.
He sighed. "I'm serious. How would you react if someone told you that they'd be leaving you and will soon make new friends and have a better life than it is now?"
You looked down. "I don't know..." you mumbled and sighed. "I would... Feel sad that they're leaving. It's like as if a big part of my heart is missing... A big gap in my chest..."
Luhan looked at you and realized that you started crying. His eyes soften and sighed. "You're thinking of your mother aren't you? And.. Perhaps maybe Seyong?" he suddenly said.

You quickly wiped your tears. "O-of course not Seyong... But my mother... Yes..."
"You miss her don't you?"
You slightly nodded. "She was always there for me when I was just a child.. But today, she won't be able to see her own daughter graduate. Or to be able to be part of the crowd to cheer for me..." You sighed as more tears fell.
Luhan hesitated, not know what to do. He walked away, left you crying.

"Jieun..." a voice behind you said.