Chapter 3: New York, New School

My English Teacher

 

Finally, it was the start of freshman year.
 
"Good morning all freshmen. I am the Dean of Columbia University. First off, I'd like to introduce you to this year's orientation team, consisting of Serena, Chuck, Blair and Nate. I know some of you are foreign, which is why I have arranged this buddy system for all students of different nationalities to be paired with someone of their own nationality or the closest possible, to help you cope with schoolwork and learn English well. Work hard, and enjoy these few days of orientation! " 
 
" Hey freshies! Blair here. We're your orientation team for today. For the next three days, all of you will be assigned to buddies, who will bring you around the school . Your buddy will most probably be the same nationality as you, or he/she will be local. There are currently no classes yet fo freshies, but you guys can feel free to attend any electives and consider your elective options!" Blair explained.
 
Taeyeon felt slightly bewildered - she had nearly no idea what anyone was saying, and she couldn't find any of her friends - oh wait, she thought - Yuri and Jessica enrolled here 6 months earlier - they would have been in the earlier batch intake of this year. Suddenly, she felt an arm link around hers.
 
"Guess we're buddies. I'm taking you to my postmodern music elective module. After that, I've been excused from my lectures to bring you around, and we can have lunch together. " A strangely familiar feeling of deja vu overwhelmed Taeyeon, as she stood next to the girl who was unnervingly close to her, but she felt relieved that she knew someone here now.
 
"Tippany-sshi, it's nice to meet you! Thank you for showing me around. I had fun with you on Saturday. Please take care of me!" Taeyeon said to Tiffany. 
 
*Aww, how cute. The way she pronounces my name is really adorable even though it's wrong.*
 
"Let's go then!" Tiffany skipped along with Taeyeon,arms linked, to their first class of the day.
 
 
"Dear class, for today's lecture, we'll be discussing Kpop and the Hallyu Wave. Are there any Koreans in this class who would like to sing a little for us and introduce us to some hit songs?"
 
Tiffany nudged Taeyeon, telling her what the professor had asked and told her to sing, as she had lived in America all her life and hardly knew any Kpop.
 
"Sure professor." Taeyeon raised her hand.
 
"Class, my name's Taeyeon. I'm a freshman here at Columbia. I will first introduce you to T-ARA's Roly Poly. We can all stand up to learn the moves to this dance. I will guide you!^^" Taeyeon excitedly said. 
 
Slowly, the classroom became a dance studio and after 30 minutes, the lecture hall was filled with students dancing to the catchy chorus of Roly Poly.
 
"New student, that was great!! Your name is Taeyeon right? Do you have any other songs for us? Something more soulful?"
 
Taeyeon replied," Yes. I will sing for you guys a song by 2NE1, called Lonely."
 
"Baby I’m sorry neowa isseodo nan lonely
saranghagin naega bujokhanga bwa
ireon motnan nal yongseohae
 
I’m sorry ige neowa naui story
sarangiran naegen gwabunhanga bwa
ne gyeote isseodo
 
Translation:
Baby I’m sorry, even when I’m with you, I’m Lonely
I must be lacking when it comes to love, please forgive this person horrible person I am
I’m sorry, this is your and my story
I must not be worthy of this thing called love, even though I’m by your side
 
Baby I’m so lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely
Baby I’m so lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely
Baby I’m so lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely
Baby I’m so lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely"
 
 
Taeyeon sang soulfully and gave her all for the song. After she ended, the whole class erupted in cheers. She was feeling depressed as she remembered Wooyoung.
 
After the class, the two girls walked for minutes in silence, with Tiffany occasionally piping up about the various landmarks and buildings in the beautiful campus. 
 
"Taeyeon, gwenchanha? You look quite pale, do you want me to drive you home to rest for today or have some lunch? "
 
"Sorry Tiffany, I was just thinking about…" Tears glistened in her eyes.
 
Noticing, TIffany hugged her and said, "Taeyeon, I know that that song was personal, and if you want to, I'm willing to listen to your story behind that emotion. Your voice was simply captivating." Tiffany comforted Taeyeon, rubbing her back.
 
"Let's get you home, I'll cook you a meal and maybe teach you some English for today. We can get to know each other better. You must still be suffering from jet lag. " Tiffany then got the keys to her car, and while in the car, coincidentally, Lonely was playing on the radio again. Taeyeon only heard the first few bars, and all of a sudden, burst into tears.
 
Tiffany didn't notice till they reached Yuri's apartment, when she suddenly realized that Taeyeon was crying again.
 
Kissing Taeyeon on the forehead, she said," Don't worry, just tell me all about it when you're ready. "
 
Both girls shared a long hug, and after futile efforts to try and make Taeyeon eat, they fell asleep on the couch, Tiffany Taeyeon's hair as she went to sleep.