19

Haunted

Baekhyun insisted that even though I was just released from the hospital, he should take me out for a date. I wanted to turn him down, but his pleading eyes got the best of me. 

"I guess I should change then..." I said looking down at my home attire. 

"Yes, that would be wise of you."

I stood up and walked to my closet. I didn't really know what was appropriate to wear on a date since I hadn't really been on one in a couple years. Well, at least from what I was able to remember. I decided that a simple dress would be okay because it seemed to fit in with wherever we'd end up going. I turned around to still see Baekhyun casually sitting on the bed.

"Aren't you going to leave?" I asked. 

He blinked at me a few times and let out a chuckle. "Why? I've seen all of you before."

My eyes widened. "We've... done it?

"Well, we did used to take baths together when we were younger," he said, shrugging his shoulders.

"So we haven't done it?" 

He stayed silent and awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, I'll be downstairs when you're ready," he said a bit too quickly before dashing out of the room.

I should have known. Of course we would have done it. We were dating for so long, how could we not have done it? I felt a bit uncomfortable not remembering any of it and hoped that he didn't have any hopes of doing it because it definitely wasn't happening any time soon. At least not while he was still a complete stranger to me. 

I shook my thoughts away and focused on getting ready for our date. After half an hour, I was ready to go. I walked downstairs and Baekhyun was in the living room playing video games with Sehun and his friend Kai. Apparently in the time I was getting ready, Baekhyun was able to go home and change into a button down. I cleared my throat, but all of their eyes were still glued to the screen. 

"Just wait a minute, babe. I'm so close to beating them," Baekhyun said, pressing away on his controller. Babe. I felt tingles running through my veins. I had only been in one relationship before Baekhyun, and Yongguk had hardly every used terms of endearment, so this was something I definitely needed to get used to. My thoughts were interrupted as Sehun and Kai let out groans and Baekhyun lifted his arms in victory. "Thanks for the game guys, but I have a date to be getting to now," Baekhyun said standing up and walking over to me. 

He extended his arm out and I hesitantly linked my own with his. "Where are we going?" 

"We're just going to grab a bite to eat and then linger around the city. You know, the usual," Baekhyun said was we got into his car. "Well, I guess you don't know," he chuckled. I wanted to be offended by his comment, but his smile distracted me from the comment I was about to make. 

---

"I hope dinner was okay. You didn't really say much," Baekhyun said. We were just casually strolling around the city. I still didn't feel comfortable enough holding his hand, but I managed to be okay with holding onto his arm.

"It was more than okay. After eating hospital food for so long, I almost forgot what good food tasted like," I said with a chuckle. "Hey, can we go in here really quick?" I said pulling him over to a cafe. It was the one I had previously worked at. 

"Well, you're not giving me much of a choice," he said, opening the door for me. I lightly smiled at him as we walked inside. 

It hadn't changed a bit since I'd last been inside. It was still the same cutesy cafe it was when I left it. We walked over to the counter and saw a familiar face. 

"Luhan!" I greeted brightly. 

He looked up from the cash register and smiled. "Hey, you're out of the hospital!" he said brightly. 

"What happened to wearing the pink apron?" I asked with a pout. I remember seeing Luhan wearing a frilly pink apron made work much more tolerable than it ever could have been.

He looked down at his attire and chuckled. "Mrs. Lee hired a couple more boys to attract more female customers and decided it would be best if she didn't emasculate us men anymore. The girls still wear the same cute little dresses you love though," he said, hinting at my return. 

"Hm, do you think I can still come back and work here?" 

"Obviously. You were always Mrs. Lee's favorite. She always complains to us how she hasn't found an employee that's not as good as you. I'm surprised she isn't paying you while you're on break." As if she heard us talking about her, Mrs. Lee popped out of the back room. 

She looked at me and a smile immediately came upon her face. "I thought I heard your voice." She ran around the counter and embraced me in a tight hug. "I'm so glad you're okay!" 

"Its nice to see you too Mrs. Lee," I said, pulling away. "I hope you haven't replaced my position... I'd love to work here again." 

"Of course not! No one is capable of replacing you. You're so diligent and your beauty always brought in more male customers!" she said pinching my cheek. "Even if the whole town knows that you're taken by Baekhyun." 

My eyes widened. I forgot all about Baekhyun. I looked over my shoulder and he was no longer standing next to me. "It was nice talking to you Mrs. Lee, but I think I should go find him... I hope tomorrow is okay for me to start?" 

"No problem at all. I hope 5:30 isn't too early for you," she said giving me a hug goodbye.

"Uh, I can try and deal with it," I said with an unsure smile. "See you tomorrow, Luhan!" I said, waving at him as I jogged out the door. I found Baekhyun standing outside leaning on a light post. "Hey, why'd you go outside?" I asked as I approached him

"I, uh, had a phone call," he said, standing up straight. Something seemed a bit off about him, but I shrugged it off because I didn't know enough about him to consider his behavior as 'off'. "Let's just head home now," he said as he started walking. 

I watched him walk off. Something was definitely wrong. He had been treating me like a princess all day and all of sudden he just walks off without a word. I assumed it was probably the phone call he had taken. I caught up with him and asked, "Is everything okay?" 

He took a deep breath and without looking at me, he said, "I'm fine." I frowned at his short answer. I expected him to be able to tell me what was wrong. I was, after all, his girlfriend. But maybe he was starting to view me the same way I viewed him: a stranger. Maybe he was starting to realize that I wasn't the same girl he fell in love with. 

The car ride was uncomfortably quiet. Baekhyun only kept his eyes on the road and didn't say anything at all and I couldn't help but feel subpar to my previous self. Was I really that different from who I was a few months ago? 

When we pulled up to my house, Baekhyun walked me to the door. We awkwardly stood on my porch for a while before he placed a hand on my shoulder and said a quick, "Goodnight." I watched him walk back to his car and felt even worse about myself. Even if I probably wasn't ready to kiss him yet, I expected more than a simple shoulder touch goodbye. 

I walked into the house feeling a bit dejected. I thought a shower might help me feel better and drain any bad feelings down the drain. As I walked out of the bathroom, I heard voices downstairs. 

"Do you think I should just let her go?" Baekhyun? I thought he left earlier... I sat on the top step and eavesdropped his conversation with Sehun. 

"No! Why on earth would you do that?" 

"You didn't see her earlier. The way she looked at Luhan... It was the way she used to look at me." My heart dropped. That was why he was upset. 

"So you're just going to break up with her because she 'looked' at Luhan?" 

Baekhyun heavily sighed. "It's not that. She probably spoke more to Luhan in ten minutes than she did the whole night!"

"Are you forgetting that she doesn't even know who you are? Obviously she'll have more to talk to with somone she actually remembers. I'm sorry if I'm being a bit harsh, but she's my sister. I know her better than she probably knows herself. You didn't see her during those three months that you were gone. She was a complete mess. She obviously loves you so much. Just give her some time. I know she'll come around." 

"Its just... I don't want to force her to love me just because she loved me before. Its selfish of me." 

"It hasn't even been a day yet. Aren't you jumping to conclusions a bit early?" 

"I don't know." There was a long pause. "I just want her to be happy."