16

Haunted

Everyone in the room stared down at me, faces full of concern. I didn't understand why everyone was so shocked. Why would I let someone I've never met before just kiss me? 

"How-"

"Let's not raise any more questions about this," the doctor said raising his hand up. "She's been in a comatose state for quite a while. She just needs some rest is all." 

"I've been 'resting' for nearly a month. I think I've gotten enough rest, Doctor," I said, feeling my temper rise. I didn't enjoy the fact that no one was explaining anything to me. Just because I've been in a hospital for a while, doesn't mean I've lost the ability to think properly. 

The doctor sighed and said, "Yes, of course. You should be able to return home today, but only after a session with Dr. Seo, okay?" I silently agreed and the doctor nodded his head. "I'll have her come down here in an hour or so. In the meantime, try not to get to worked up about why you can't remember certain things, okay?" I lightly nodded at the doctor as he walked out of the room. 

My mother sat on the bed and gently moved a strand of hair out of my face. I slowly looked up at my mom and whispered, "Can I talk to you alone mom?" 

She nodded at me before kindly shooing out everyone in the room. I couldn't help but notice how crestfallen that Baekhyun person looked. His head was hung low and his feet seemed to be dragging on the tiled floor. 

Once the door was closed, she looked back down at me with concern filling her eyes. "What is it?" she asked.

"Who is Baekhyun?" 

A troubled look came upon her face as she sighed. "You really don't remember him, do you?" I shook my head. She took hold of one of my hands and lightly smiled. "Do you want me to tell you about him?" I eagerly nodded my head, wanting to know the reason behind why everyone was so overwhelmed by the fact that I didn't know this boy. 

Apparently he was the son of our neighbors across the street. My mom said that she became pregnant with me shortly after Baekhyun was born. Her and Mrs. Byun would always say that their kids would end up marrying each other. After I was born, we were practically inseparable, which seemed a bit strange considering that usually all babies want to do is be with their moms, but apparently I always wanted to be with Baekhyun. When my mom was at work, I would be across the street with Baekhyun and his grandmother and when my mom got home from work, I never wanted to leave. 

Things started to change once Baekhyun entered school. Since he was a year older than me, he entered kindergarten first. That year, it was only me and Baekhyun's grandmother while my mother was at work. Baekhyun didn't enjoy taking care of me and playing with me anymore. In fact, he did the opposite. He would get home and pick on me until my mother came to pick me up. I used to never want to leave his home, but I started to never want to come over in the first place. 

When I started school myself, things didn't change much. I no longer had to go across the street to be babysat, but Baekhyun's tormenting continued at school. On the first day of school, his friends allegedly tried to throw me in a trash can, but Baekhyun caught it happening and stopped them. He said that only he was allowed to bully me and that his friends weren't allowed to touch me. My mom said she felt relieved when she heard this because she knew deep down that Baekhyun would never physically hurt me, but her theory was proved wrong a few years later.

In third grade, Baekhyun pushed me down the stairs and I ended up breaking my arm. He only intended to scare me with a light push, but being the clumsy person I am, anything could send me off balance. Both of our parents were extremely angry with Baekhyun and he couldn't go out with his friends until my arm was fully healed. Although I didn't really see the severity of the punishment because what raging parties could a fourth grader go to? 

Even though Baekhyun was punished, he still didn't stop picking on me. He blamed my whole arm breaking on myself because I'm too clumsy and decided that his parents just misunderstood the whole situation although it entirely was his own fault. He never did anything physical though because my broken arm probably did get to him.

Although he wasn't hurting me physically, he was definitely hurting me mentally. When my arm was broken, I guess I couldn't be as active as I was before and I ended up gaining quite a bit of weight. Even when my arm fully healed, I was never really able to drop the weight. Baekhyun would always insult me because of my weight and I would cry every time. Then he would make fun of me for crying and call me a baby, which only made me cry more and tell on him. Which also led to me being called a tattletale...

His teasing didn't really end until we were both in middle school. He finally matured enough to realize that teasing a girl wasn't really the manliest thing to do and being manly was something middle schoolers strived for. We were finally able to get along and this was when we decided that we would be best friends. We told each other everything and he always stood up for me when people made fun of my weight.

By the time high school rolled around, I was finally able to drop all of my extra weight and my female assets were fully developed.  My mom told me that although she enjoyed the fact that I was becoming a lady, she was worried that too many boys would start to notice my new body and she told me to be extra careful around boys. 

On the first day of 9th grade, Baekhyun came over so that we could walk to school together and his jaw supposedly hit the floor when he saw me. When I walked through the halls of the school, the boys catcalled and whistled, while the girls glared at me. Baekhyun told me to ignore them and always stay by his side so that he could protect me from anyone that would try to hurt me. 

Baekhyun walked me to and from every class. The people in my classes didn't really harass me as much as the upperclassmen because most of them knew me since elementary school and mostly because they were scared of Baekhyun who was a grade higher than them. Even though I did actually have girl friends, most people saw me around with Baekhyun and started to assume that we were dating. 

I didn't enjoy the fact that people thought that me and Baekhyun were dating because I always only thought of him as a friend and a friend only. To prove people wrong, I decided it would be best that I found a boyfriend. It didn't take me long either. When the captain of the football team heard I was looking for a boyfriend, he immediately courted me and within a week we were the talk of the entire school. What was a popular junior doing dating a freshman like me that had absolutely no experience in dating? 

I started mingling with the popular crowd and eventually drifted away from Baekhyun. He no longer had to walk me to and from class because I had a boyfriend to do that stuff for me. I wasn't the only one changing though. Baekhyun had also gotten himself a girlfriend. She was a cheerleader and also fairly popular. Both of our relationships lasted through the summer until the night before the first day of school. 

My boyfriend was throwing a final summer party. I was having fun enjoying myself with a few of my friends. When I went to go use the bathroom, I was faced with the horrifying scene of my boyfriend half making out with a girl propped up on the sink counter. When I asked what was going on, he told me that he was going to be a senior and that he had no means being with a sophomore during his senior year. The girl, who turned out to be Baekhyun's girlfriend, said that my boyfriend took too long breaking up with me considering that I didn't even have with him. Before I could hear anymore from the two, I quickly turned around and rushed out of the house. But not before bumping shoulders with a crestfallen Baekhyun. 

I spent the rest of that night crying in my room. I wouldn't even tell my mom what happened. As I was sobbing into my pillow, a knock came upon my door. My mom poked her head into my room and before I could tell her to go away, she told me that I had a visitor. She opened the door wider and revealed a thrashed Baekhyun. I immediately shot up in bed as I stared at the cuts and bruises forming all over his body. 

I led him over to my bed and asked what had happened as I treated his cuts and had him ice his black eye. He told me that he punched my ex-boyfriend in the face as soon as I had left. They fought each other until the police came and shut down the party. Baekhyun told me that he obviously was no match to the captain of the football team, but what he did made him so angry that he didn't care about how beat up he would get. I assumed it was because his girlfriend cheated on him, but he told me that he didn't really care about his girlfriend because he was really just using her to try and get over another girl. 

I tried to think about who Baekhyun would be trying to get over. I could always tell when Baekhyun had a crush on a girl, but no one really came to mind. But then it hit me that the girl he was talking about was none other than myself. His girlfriend wasn't the reason he started a fight with someone ten times stronger than him. It was me. I stared at him for a while before lowering the ice he was holding up to his eye and placing a small kiss on his lips. It was then that I realized that I didn't really care about my previous feelings of thinking that Baekhyun would only be my friend. He was more than the captain of the football team could ever be. 

That was the night when he first sang me to sleep. And that was the night when I called him my boyfriend. 

People at school didn't think we were dating when they first saw us. We always hung out with each other before I got a boyfriend, so it was nothing new when they saw us walking down the halls together again. Although, when people saw us sharing kisses and holding hands everyone realized that we obviously weren't just friends anymore. 

Baekhyun graduated a year before me and his parents decided to take him on a trip around the world before he decided what to do with his life. I didn't really have a problem with it, until they told me that the trip would last 2 months. I practically begged his and my own parents to let me go with him, but they said that we spent too much time together, and that the time apart would be beneficial to our relationship. 

I thought our parents reasoning behind it was stupid, but when they came back from their trip, I realized how wrong I was. Living across the street from each other was something we took for granted and we never really had a chance to actually miss each other. 

By the time I graduated, our lives were all planned out for each other. He was going to a prestigious music school, while I would go to an art school to study fashion. He would become a famous singer, while I would be the one styling his outfits.

A year after that was when he was hit by a car. Our lives were going by so perfectly and the tragic accident really threw everything off track. I apparently thought that Baekhyun had died, when he actually was just sent to China for three months to undergo surgery. When he returned, I was so shocked that I actually had to be checked into the hospital and undergo therapy. When I was finally going to be released, I somehow ended up in a coma for a month.

"And now that you're awake, you don't remember who Baekhyun is at all," my mom said, finishing her story. 

I took a minute to soak in everything she had just said. "Wow, we went through a lot, didn't we?" She nodded her head. "But how do you know all of this? I really told you all of that and you remember it all?" 

She uneasily rubbed the back of her neck. "You see... I kind of read your diary while you were in a coma..." 

My eyes widened. "YOU WHAT?" 

Someone knocked on the door and Dr. Seo walked in. "Well, what do you know, Dr. Seo is here to talk to you. I'll be going then," my mom said rushing out of the room. I rolled my eyes and fell back onto my bed. It was a lot to take in, but it everything my mom said was true, this Baekhyun person was a very important person in my life. A very important person that I can't remember at all...

 

 

 

Is this chapter too long and boring? lol well even if it is, I thought that their history together was kinda important... 
...and I kind of needed something to distract me from a raging concert that was happening... >.> LOL I STILL WATCHED THE LIVESTREAM OF SMTOWN ANYWAY. UGH but It was a bad idea letting people I know in real life follow me on tumblr. They all think I'm freaking weird and pathetic for being so emotional over a bunch of Koreans. -.- Which isn't that far from the truth (LOL) but they don't have to judge me so hard. T_T Oh well, I'm getting over the fact that I didn't see exo at disneyland or go to the concert. At least they got to have a fun little vacation in california after working so hard back home. c:
Anyways, I'll see you all after finals week! o_o