La Campanella

EXO Scenarios

I quickly slung my bag over my shoulder as I hurriedly left my house to piano practice.

Dammit, I'm late.

It's not my fault that my alarm didn't wake me up on time. Yes, as if my piano teacher would accept that pathetic excuse.

Piano's my life. It's always been. Usually, parents would force their children to learn piano at a fairly young age so they could achieve that musical talent thing that they most absolutely want their children to have. And sometimes kids don't even like playing the piano. But I for one love it. My parents weren't like the rest of them. They couldn't really care less about that kind of stuff. All they want for me is to be happy. And I begged them to get me a piano teacher, because that's what's going to make me happy. So yes, I've been learning the piano for almost 11 years now.

And me being late for the umpteenth time is surely gonna earn a slap on the head by a paper fan.

"I'm here, I'm here! Sorry I'm late!" I barged into my piano teacher's home like nobody's business. My piano teacher grunted and lazily got up his couch after taking a sip of coffee.

"Saying sorry won't change anything." He said as he picked up his paper fan from the table. "You still wasted a whole half hour of piano class."

I braced myself for the slapping. "I'm sorry, Sir.." Instead of using it to slap me on the head, he actually used its purpose. He fanned himself.

"The airconditioner's broken it seems." He said. He slammed the fan on the table again and stretched his arms. "No more dillydallying. You have to practice for next week's recital."

My piano teacher's name is Kai. He's actually only a year older than me, and the fact that my former teacher quit to move to Japan made my parents somewhat desperate and decided to hire whoever was available, which was Kai. I didn't understand their logic, considering a huge amount of choices that was laid out upon us. But, Kai's a talented pianist, and he teaches well, so I have no problem with that. Except that he's acting like a total douche who thinks that he's at an extremely high position that he can do whatever he wants with me, and that is slapping me with a gigantic paper fan whenever I'm late.

I sat down in front of the upright and took a look at the piano sheets laid out.

"La Campanella." I read it out loud.

"By Franz Liszt." He continued as he stood beside me. "It's a beautiful piece."

I read the notes and hummed it. It had a soft and melancholic melody at the start, by the middle it became livelier and more cheerful, and at the end it was strong and powerful, yet still has that soft and haunting sound in it as well.

"I.. don't know how to play this." I looked up at Kai, who seemed to have an unimpressed look on his face. He walked away from me and headed to the bookshelf beside the upright. He took out a record and played it.

"Your note reading comprehension is improving." He said. "Sounds exactly like this one."

"Thanks." I said.

The piece was finished and I continued to stare at the piano keys in front of me.

"Well?" He asked, crossing his arms.

I placed my hands on the keys, and started to play the piece. Kai was definitely right when he said that it was beautiful. I felt all sorts of emotions through playing this composition of Liszt. Although my train of emotions were suddenly stopped by a slam on my right shoulder.

"Wrong." He said sternly.

"Then how do you play it?" I stood up, annoyed at him and gestured him to sit. He rolled his eyes and sat down as he cracked his fingers. He started to the play the piece.

The way he played it was astounding. It was perfect. Just like always.

He stood up with a satisfied expression, as if he wanted to rub it in my face that he did it perfectly, and I didn't.

"Okay okay." I said as I sat down again, but beside him this time. "Teach me."

He held my hands and placed them on the keys. "You start there."

"Now play." He said. I played the first few notes and he immediately made me stop.

"No, that's not how it's done." He said then he showed me the right way. "There. Now try it."

I played it again and he nodded in approval. "Good. Now continue."

This went on for the next 25 minutes. Of course, it was not enough practice time.

"Well, practice is over." He stood up and stretched his arms. "Be here again next week. But be on time, please."

I nodded and waved goodbye at him. "Bye, Kai!" I said cheerfully.

"Bye, Jihyun! See you next week okay?" He said with a huge smile plastered on his face. "Oh right, I already said that. Ah, whatever. Bye!"

We do this kind of thing every week.

We're going to be extra cold and professional towards each other and by the end of the day we'll resort back to our normal, friendly selves. It's funny, to be honest.

*-*-*-*-*

The day before my next practice, I wanted to visit my friend named Yixing at a local dance studio. We haven't seen each other for a whole month, so I just wanted to see how he's been doing.

As I was walking in the hallway outside the studio, I heard music playing. I peeped inside to see Yixing sitting at the corner, drinking a bottle of water. He saw me and immediately stood up and opened the door for me.

"Jihyun!" He exclaimed. "I can't believe you're here."

"I just wanna see how my little dancing machine's doing." I said.

"Come on in! I'd like you to meet someone." He said as I walked in with him. I looked over at the guy who was dancing really powerfully and yet gracefully to the music.

It was Kai!

"Kai?" I asked and he stopped dancing to see me, wide eyed and shocked to see him here.

"Jihyun?" He took a towel and wiped his sweat off. "Jihyun! It is you!"

I looked over at Yixing who was just as surprised as I am. "You two know each other?" He asked.

"Yeah. I teach her piano." He answered him. I nodded as a yes.

"You know piano?" Yixing asked him. "Ugh. I don't know anything anymore."

"You two know each other?" Kai pointed to me, then to Yixing.

"Yeah. We've been friends for like, forever." I said.

"Sweet." He said and nodded.

"I didn't know you could dance!" I exclaimed. He smiled brightly and chuckled.

"Well now you do!" He answered. I nodded.

"I should get going! Ummmm I'll see you tomorrow..." I said awkwardly.

"Bye Jihyun!" Yixing called as I walked out of the studio.

                                                                                                         *-*-*-*-*

I knocked on the door of Kai's house. I was actually on time today!! He opened it and smirked.

"On time I see!" He stated.

"Hello to you too!" I said as I stepped into his house. We made our way to the piano and I sat down infront of the keys. I pushed my hair all to the left and placed my fingers on the keys. I started to play slowly, trying to get every note perfect. It was going fine until Kai slammed his hand on the keys.

"YAH!!!" I screamed.

"You screwed it up!" He said. I rolled my eyes and placed my hands on my hips.

"Then teach me! Your supposed to be a teacher! Yet all you do is complain when someone screws up!! You are the worst tea-" I never got to finish my rant because he crashed his lips onto mine. My eyes widened in shock. He finally pulled away and rested his forehead against mine.

"Am I still a bad teacher?" He whispered. I gulped and moved backwards a bit.

"Did I stun you?" He asked.

"ARE YOU ING CRAZY!?!? HUH!?!? WHAT THE WAS THAT FOR!?!" I screamed.

"YAH!! IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO GET YOU TO SHUT UP!!" He yelled at me. I grabbed my bag and stormed towards the door. Tears were threatening to fall from my eyes as I slammed the door.

He stole my first kiss.

                                                                                                          *-*-*-*-*

Kai's POV

I watched Jihyun walk out of my house and sighed. I hit my hand against the piano in anger.

"You idiot Kai..." I muttered. I grabbed my car keys and quickly ran to my car. I had to find her. I started the car and sped down the street. I could see her near the end of it, about to turn the corner. I put my foot down hard and went even faster. 

Thats all I can remember before the pain struck.

                                                                                                          *-*-*-*-*