Blank Canvas

EXO Scenarios

I stared at the blank canvas in front of me, with my paintbrush at hand. Nothing. Nothing's coming in my mind. I held the paintbrush tighter, trying to think of something to put on that wide, blank, piece of paper in front of me. I'd be lying if I'd say that there's still nothing. In fact, I lied when I said that there was nothing at all before. There was one thing, one person, that kept running in my thoughts. It was Mina.

Mina was perfect. She was perfect in my eyes, at least. She always has this sparkle in her eyes that indicates absolute joy and pureheartedness that I always get lost in them. She stayed true to herself, and stood by to whatever she believes in, which is really remarkable. She has this inner and outer beauty that always leaves me speecheless. She's just... amazing.

But suddenly, that sparkle in her eyes faded. Permanently.

"Mina." I tapped her shoulder. She seemed really quiet. "Are you okay?"

She turned around to look at me. I noticed something extremely different with her. Not the good different. "I'm okay, Yixing."

"You don't look okay." I replied, touching her cheek. She was cold. "I'd better get you to the hospital, Mina."

"You really don't have to." She said, holding my hand, giving a dry chuckle. "I'm okay. Just a little tired, that's all."

I can clearly see in her eyes that she lost that spark. And I miss it so much. I miss her so much. I didn't realize that tears were streaming down my face as I kept staring blankly at the white canvas.

"Dammit!" I threw the paintbrush to the wall and wiped off my tears. This has been going on for three whole months. It's terrible.

"Hey, Yixing!" Luhan came barging into my room, looking obnoxiously happy, as usual. "I got you more paint!"

I glared at him, hoping that he would realize that I don't really need paint, or his company, for that matter.

"Have you made more stuff yet?" He asked. No such luck.

"No." I answered bluntly.

"Why?" He asked.

"What do you think?"

He continued staring at me with those doe eyes. Hopefully he's figured it out.

"You need to get over this whole Mina thing." He said. "I mean, it's been a few months already. You should be--"

"How dare you?" I pushed him to the wall. How dare he? He's been my best friend for how long? And he knows full well how much Mina means to me, and he goes around barging into my place, saying that I should get over her? Who does he think he is?

"I don't mean it like that I just.." He mumbled.

"You just what?" I asked, holding onto his shirt collar. "You just think that it's so ing easy to get over someone you loved who just died? Huh? Is that what you meant?"

"I-I'm sorry." He stuttered. "I'm sorry, Yixing."

I sighed and tried to keep my anger to myself. I released him and I sat back down on the couch.

"I'll just leave these here then." He placed the cans of paint on a table. "See you later, Yixing." He left and closed the door gently.

I feel like a huge idiot. I'm an idiot for believing that things would go perfectly in my life. I believed that I would live with Mina happily. Actually, whatever I'd go through, if it's with Mina, it'd be perfect. But no. Life just decided to be a huge and ruin everything for me. I don't even know if I could go on.


It's been almost a year since Mina's death. I still can't believe I got through it all without killing myself. But I did try. I tried like, a billion times. But there's this voice in my head that keeps saying that I should still live. It could be Mina. Or Jesus. Heh, whatever it was, it was keeping me alive.

I decided to walk outside, get some fresh air. I also decided to give up art. Why? Because I've lost all inspiration for painting. When Mina died, everything just seems like a blank canvas to me. Empty.

I was walking in the park, taking in the cool breeze. Everybody there looked really happy. Oddly enough, they're couples. An old couple was sitting together on a bench, pointing to the swaying tree branches. They looked so in love. Two kids were running around, chasing each other. They were really energetic and happy, it reminded me once of me and Mina when we were little. Now there was a couple about my age too. I remembered that I was as happy as the guy who was with the girl before.

I sat down under a tree to take the scenery in. Maybe if I do, I'd feel better and think of not killing myself. I breathed in the air and closed my eyes to feel the wind. It was soothing and painful at the same time.

All of a sudden, I felt something weird. Weird as in I feel like someone's in front of me. I opened my eyes and saw a girl sitting down in front of me, staring at me with big eyes. I grew shocked.

"I'm sorry if I scared you." She said. She had a soft and gentle voice.

"It's okay." I said, scratching the nape of my neck. Something's weird about this girl. Why would she stare at me while I'm sitting under a tree with my eyes closed? It's as if she read my mind and practically answered my question.

"It's just that I usually sit under this tree and you know, do sketches and stuff." She said, holding onto a sketchbook and a pencil. "I didn't expect someone to have the idea of sitting here too."

"Oh." I said. I decided to leave and I stood up, but she pulled my arm.

"You don't have to go." She said. She looked up at me with those eyes and my God, did they remind me so much of Mina. It was as if those eyes were luring me into her world.

"Okay, then." I sat back down and looked at her closely. She had the gleaming eyes. She had the long, brown hair and small, pale frame that resembles Mina. It was sort of freaky. The girl stood up and sat beside me and deeply inhaled the breeze.

"I guess you like this spot 'cause of the breeze." She said. "Or probably the shade. Both perhaps?" She grinned at me.

"Yep." I nodded. I held out my hand for a handshake. "I'm Yixing."

"Ria." She said and shook my hand lightly. "It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too." I replied. Her hand was soft and delicate. She opened up her sketchbook and flipped through the pages. I observed the sketches and they were impressive. Very impressive.

"Are you an artist?" I asked her.

"Um, not really." She said, shaking her head as she kept flipping the pages. 

"You're not an artist?" I asked. She shook her head as a no. "But, your work's great. Why aren't you an artist?"

"Ah, you know how it is. Parents wanting you to be some bigshot doctor-lawyer." She said, playing with her pencil.

"But do you dream of being an artist?" I asked. She nodded.

"I want to be an artist more than anything." She said. "It's my life."

"Then don't be a doctor or lawyer." I said, taking her sketchbook. "May I?"

"Sure." She handed me her sketchbook and I took a look at what she's already made. They were amazing.

"These are incredible." I said.

"What do you know about art?" She asked me, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm an artist, actually." I answered her. "Well, I was an artist."

"What made you quit?" She asked.

"Uh.." I hesitated answering the question. I wouldn't say the real reason behind it to some total stranger, even if she was kind and pretty. "I just lost inspiration, I guess." It was true, but at least I didn't say that my girlfriend died and I have no reason to do art anymore.

"How would you lose inspiration?" She asked skeptically. "It's everywhere. The world's full of inspiration."

"I look at the world a little different." I said, handing back her sketchbook.

"How do you see the world then?" She asked.

"Like a blank canvas." I answered. "Empty."

"But isn't a blank canvas supposed to give you more oppurtunities to make it better?" She said. "A blank canvas's purpose is for people to change it's plain appearance into something wonderful and amazing. The world's already that. It's not empty."

This girl sounded like she knew what she was talking about. She talked like a true artist. If she only knew why I thought of the world was empty. It was empty because Mina's gone. Mina's my whole world. Now she's dead.

But this girl.. this.. Ria. She's interesting. I want to know more about her. She seems, special.


A/N: Hai guys. Lol I left it hanging, again. I'll be writing the second part someday, maybe. XD