Childhood's friend

Blessing From Above [하늘에서 내려온 축복]

“Umma~~~~” Yoorim ran to the back of the store and called for Yoona.

“Yes Yoorim?” Yoona answered

“Umma, do you know what? A stranger just talked to me, a stranger! But I remembered what you told me and I didn’t talk to him.” Said Yoorim

“I’m very proud of you!” smiled Yoona, “Now let’s go up and eat something, you haven’t eat breakfast.”

“I want a mickey mouse pancake!” requested Yoorim

“Sure, sit at the table and I’ll cook for you right away.” Yoona kissed her daughter on the cheek.

It was around 10 in the morning, not many customers now as Yoona already finished all the pre-ordered cakes. Suddenly the wind chime created some noise, and a young, handsome man walked into the bakery.

“Good morning! May I help you today?” Taeyeon asked.

“Oh, I just want to have some cake. Is there any left?” the young man asked.

“Of course, we always have cakes for customers all day long.” Taeyeon said, “Here’s the menu.” Taeyeon handed the menu over to the young man.

“Can I get the chocolate cheesecake? That’s my favorite. Thank you.” Said the young man.

“Please wait for a moment, your cake will be ready right away!”

As Taeyeon went to the back to get the order, the young man noticed Yoorim sitting across from his table.

“Hello, why are you here alone? Where are your parents?” he asked.

“Umma said not to talk to stranger…” Yoorim answered.

“You must be a very well behaved little girl!” The young man laughed.

Taeyeon went back with a piece of chocolate cheesecake a minute later, she handed the cake to the young man.

“Hope you enjoy the cake!” said Taeyeon.

The young man took a bite, then he smile. He turned to Taeyeon and said, “Can you please tell the baker to go out and see me?”

“Why? Is there something wrong with the cake?” Taeyeon asked

“Nothing wrong, in fact it’s really delicious. I just want to meet the person that made this cake.” The young man said.

“My sister made this cake. I’ll call her up” said Taeyeon

“Yoona~ A customer wanted to see you!” Taeyeon called out her sister

“I’m coming up!!” Yoona answered.

As Yoona entered, the young man looked up and gave her a very big smile. His eyes sparkled with happiness.

“Hello! I hope you enjoyed my cake! I heard that you wanted to see me?” Yoona asked the young man.

“Don’t you remember me?” The young man asked back

“I’m sorry, but you are…?” Yoona was surprised by his question.

“It’s okay that you don’t recognized me, it has been too long since we last saw each other. Let’s see…18 years? Time flies!” he laughed.

“18 years? 18 years ago I was still in the orphanage…the orphanage…you are??” Yoona looked at the young guy while trying her best to remember who he was.

“I’m Khun, Nichkhun, your friend from the orphanage. We always sat together for lunch and dinner remember? And whenever my adoptive parents visited and gave me cake, I always gave it to you. Remember now?” the young man said.

“N…Nichkhun? Oh my God!! How have you been? I remember you got picked up one day and that was the last time we met!” said the surprised Yoona.

“Yes…” he laughed, “And that day I made a promise to you that I will go back and look for you! Now I’m here to fulfill that promise.” Khun said

“Where did your adoptive parents took you to?”

“They took me to America. I cried for a whole week because I couldn’t see you!” he laughed again, “How about you? Did any family picked you up?”

“Yes, this is my adoptive sister” Yoona introduced Taeyeon.

“My adoptive mother picked me up about a month after you left.”

“That’s a relief, I was worried that you will be there alone, since we were the only two kids that under age 10 there!”

Yoorim got up and went behind her mother. She shook Yoona’s hand and whispered…

“Umma~ I thought you said not to talk to stranger!” she looked at her mom.

“Don’t worry, he’s not a stranger, he’s my friend,” and Yoona continued, “Say hello to him!”

“H..hello…” Yoorim said then hid behind Yoona

“Who is this little girl? I saw her sitting here for awhile…” Khun asked in curious

“She’s mine. She’s my daughter, Yoorim.” Yoona answered.

“Your…daughter? You already got married?” Khun asked with eyes wide opened. His heart suddenly crashed.

“I’m still single…but she’s my daughter” Yoona gave out a force smile.

The store became awkwardly silent. Khun looked at Yoorim then Yoona, he could see the sadness in her eyes…

“I’m sorry for asking about it,” said Khun, “But your daughter is adorable!”

“Thank you”

“May I have dinner at your house today? I want to know where you live.”

“You’re more than welcome! We will close the store 2 hours earlier today then.” Yoona smiled at Khun.

 

---

Yoona and Taeyeon closed the store at 4 in the evening. They got to the kitchen to cook right away after they reached home. Little Yoorim sat quietly looking at her mom’s new friend.

“Yoorim” Khun called Yoorim

“Y..yes..” Yoorim answered quietly

“May I ask you something? About your dad…”

“Umma doesn’t like to talk about appa!”

“But why? Have Yoorim ever meet appa?”

“Umma said appa is bad! Appa wasn’t nice to umma!”

“Does Yoorim want to see appa?”

“I don’t want to see appa, because umma doesn’t like it. Umma will be sad.” 

“Then how about a new appa for Yoorim? You can call me Khun appa!” Khun smiled at Yoorim.

“Really? Yoorim can have a new appa? Khun appa?” Yoorim asked innocently

“Yes~ I’ll be your new appa! Khun appa!” Khun said

“Does Khun appa nice? Khun appa nice to umma?”

“I will, I will keep Yoorim and umma very happy!”

Yoorim ran to the kitchen with excitement and told Yoona that she got a new appa. Khun followed her to the kitchen.

 “Umma~ Yoorim got a new appa! Khun appa!!” Yoorim yelled. Yoona looked at Khun with confused eyes.

“Oh just that she is so cute, so I want to be her God father.” He smiled.

“Really?” Yoona gave him a smile back, “Yoorim, how lucky you got such a handsome appa!” she joked.

“Khun appa!!” Yoorim called him with excitement.

 

---

After dinner, Khun left his phone number and information; said that he will now stay in Seoul for a while, and she can look for him anytime she needs help.

“Goodnight, Yoorim~” Khun said to Yoorim

“Goodnight, Khun appa~”

“Goodnight, Yoona~ I’m so glad so see you again.” Khun said to Yoona.

“Me too, I’m glad. Goodnight!” said Yoona.

Khun walked to his car with a huge smile on his face. He got on the car and couldn’t stop thinking about what just happened today.

 

“Master, you found her?” Khun’s driver asked

“Yes, I found her. I found my first love.” Khun answered with a smile.