Land of Childhood

Blessing From Above [하늘에서 내려온 축복]

“Unnie, I’m home~” said Yoona, as she walked in with Yoorim sleeping on her shoulder.

“Oh, you’re home!” Taeyeon greeted back. “How are you? Are you feeling okay?”

“I’m fine” she smiled, and then Yoona went to her room to tuck Yoorim into bed. Taeyeon followed her.

“I was so worried about you.” said Taeyeon. “Thankfully, Taecyeon was there!”

“Unnie, I think…” Yoona hesitated.

“What’s the problem?” Taeyeon asked

“I think I found him…”

“Found who?”

“Him…Ian…”

“What? Are you serious?” Taeyeon was stunned

“I’m not sure though…so I’m very confused right now.” Said Yoona, as she looked into her sister’s eyes, searching for advices.

“So where is Ian?” Taeyeon asked

“He is…Taecyeon…I think…”

“What?”

“Taecyeon. Ok Taecyeon”

“It’s really him?”

“I found these at his house” Yoona showed Taeyeon the notes.

“These are…?”

“Remember I told you Ian brought a notebook to the orphanage one day? We wrote a lot of stuffs in there. These are some of the pages.”

“Meaning he is Ian…”

“But because he doesn’t remember anything about his childhood time, I can’t confirm it with him. I asked him about it, he said he doesn’t have any impression with these notes.” said Yoona

“Then how he got these?” Taeyeon asked 

“He said someone sent it to him”

“So you’re not one hundred percent sure that he’s Ian?”

“Yes…what can I do? He might be and he might be not…”

“How about take him back to the orphanage, to see if he can remember anything?” Taeyeon suggested.

“I take him to the orphanage?”

“I think that could be the fastest way for him to remember.”

“Can you go with us?” Yoona begged

“I have to take care of the bakery! Also, wouldn’t it be better if it’s just the two of you? I wasn’t there when you guys met” Taeyeon explained

“I’m not even sure if he’s Ian.” Yoona excused herself

“But I know your heart is, Yoona.” said Taeyeon. “Call him, ask him to go with you tomorrow. I’ll help you take Yoorim to school, okay? I’m going back to my room. Remember to call him.”

Taeyeon went back to her room. Yoona took out her cellphone, stared at Taecyeon’s number for a while. She kind of wanted to call him, but could not bring herself to press the dial button. She didn’t know what she should say. She thought it would be strange just to ask him to go to the orphanage with her. Why the orphanage? Why all of a sudden? She was afraid he might ask those questions and she won’t know how to answer.

“Whatever!” Yoona decided to press the dial button. She nervously waited for him to pick up.

“Hello?” Taecyeon picked up the phone.

“Hi, it’s Yoona.”

“Hi Yoona, any problems?” Taecyeon asked. He was surprised that Yoona called him for the first time ever.

“Oh…I just want to ask, are you free tomorrow?” Yoona carefully asked Taecyeon.

“Yes, I’m free. Why?”

“Can you go to a place with me?”

“Sure, and if you don’t mind me asking, where are we going?”

“I will tell you tomorrow.” said Yoona

“Then what time should I pick you up?”

“You don’t have to. We’re going by the bus. So just come by 8AM tomorrow”

“Okay, then see you tomorrow!”

“Goodnight, Taecyeon…”

“Oh, good night to you, too!”

Taecyeon indeed was wondering about the place Yoona said she wanted to go tomorrow, but nevertheless this phone call from Yoona made him happy.

“I’m looking forward for tomorrow!” Taecyeon said as he tucked under the blanket.

 

---

*Ding Dong*

“Yoona, I think Taecyeon came!!” yelled Taeyeon.

“I’ll go get the door. Yoorim, hurry up and finish your breakfast or you’ll be late to school!” said Yoona

“Umma, I want to go too…” Yoorim begged

“Hi Taecyeon” Yoona opened the door. “Please wait a little bit. I’m trying to get Yoorim finish her breakfast. She’s not really listen to me now.”

“Aigoo, our Yoorim is giving umma a hard time?” Taecyeon smiled and walked in.

“Yoorim ah~~ appa is here!” Taecyeon spread his arms wide open. Yoorim got off her seat and ran to him for a hug.

“Appa!!!” Yoorim yelled

“So I heard you’re not being a good girl!” said Taecyeon

“Yoorim wants to go with umma and appa too but umma doesn’t let me!” she pouted.

“But you have school, you must go to school!” said Yoona.

“Umma!!!” Yoorim cried

“Yoorim ah, how about we will buy something you like when we get back?” Taecyeon tried to calm her down.

“No!” Yoorim continued to cry

“Yoorim, you’re being bad!” said Yoona

“Yoorim, how about ice cream? You like ice cream!!” Taecyeon still trying to soothe his daughter

“…Ice cream?” asked the sobbing Yoorim

“Yes, ice cream! I know umma didn’t let you eat it much, but appa will buy for you, okay?” Taecyeon smiled

“Shhh” Yoorim put her little index finger to her lips, signed Taecyeon to be quiet, then she whispered, “Must keep it a secret!”

“Alright, it’s a secret!!” Taecyeon whispered back. “Ok, now finish your breakfast and go to school” he said. Yoorim listened to him and went back to the table to finish up her bowl of cereal.

“What did you tell her? She totally listened to you!” Yoona asked

“She’s easy to please” Taecyeon smiled

 

---

They left the house and walked to the bus station nearby the playground.

“You still haven’t let me know where we are going…” said Taecyeon

“To my orphanage” said Yoona

“Your orphanage? Why all of a sudden?”

“Because I want to show it to you”

Taecyeon was taken aback by Yoona’s answer. Considered the orphanage was a very personal place in her life, now she wanted to show it to him. “What is her reason?” he thought.

“Then…can I count this as a date?” Taecyeon joked

“Well, you can…since it’s only the two of us…you can think like that if you want…” Yoona walked faster as she said. Taecyeon was satisfied with the answer.

“So I’ll see this as a date then!” Taecyeon said with a smile as he ran to catch up with Yoona. 

 

---

Taecyeon and Yoona reached the bus station. They waited for about ten minutes until the bus finally arrived. Yoona let Taecyeon get on the bus first, and he walked straight to the back seats.

“Their choice is the same…” said Yoona. She followed him to the back and sat next to him.

“Why did you choose the back seats? The other seats are open too” she asked him

“It’s because you can see the scenery through the back window. It’s bigger and you get the full view” he smiled

“Their answer is also the same…” she thought.

“You know, my friend also like to sit at the back because he said he likes to view the scenery through the back window” said Yoona to Taecyeon

“Really? So I’m not the only one! By the way, how long is the ride to the orphanage?”

“Usually 45 minutes by car, but by bus I guess near to 1 hour?”

“I see, we’ll get plenty of time to watch the scenery.” He smiled

The bus stopped every five minutes to pick up and drop off people. More people get on the bus than get off so the bus quickly became crowded. An old couple walked to the back and was looking for empty seats. Taecyeon and Yoona stood up and gave their seats to the old couple.

“You two are so polite. Thanks!” said the old granny

“We should!” they replied

“Aigoo, are you guys on a date?” the old granny asked. Taecyeon looked at Yoona to see her reaction.

“Yes” Yoona answered the old granny, which surprised Taecyeon.

“I thought kids these days don’t like the bus anymore. They like to go by car, especially on a date.” The old granny laughed.

“Even though the bus is slower, we can enjoy the scenery around us more since none of us has to drive.” Yoona answered politely, then she coughed for a few times. The old granny looked into her bad, and took out a piece of ginger candy.

“Here, take this. It will help your throat”

“Thank you.” Yoona politely received the candy with 2 hands.

The bus suddenly stopped for it next stops. Since Yoona didn’t hold onto anything, she lost her balance. Thankfully Taecyeon was fast enough. He quickly wrapped his arm around her and pulled her back.

“Look at your boyfriend! He’s quick!” the granny teased. “Back then when we were in the same situation, you wasn’t quick enough!” she told her husband.

“Kids these days are more romantic. I would just help you by pulling your arm or something” the granny’s husband laughed

“So you must learn from them” said the granny

“Well, we’re old. Just leave those romantic parts for the kids to do, but I can cook you your favorite food when we reach home~” said the granny’s husband. They both smiled at each other.

Taecyeon and Yoona were embarrassed by what the old couple said. They pulled away from each other and pretended to look at the scenery outside.

The old couple wished them a good date, and got off the bus. They sat back down to the seats. Taecyeon looked at the scenery for a while then he fell asleep. Yoona used this chance to observed Taecyeon. She noticed his ears, they were quite big; which reminded Yoona of Ian’s joke about his ears were as big as elephant’s ears. She chuckled.

They arrived at the orphanage. The ride there was almost one hour, just like Yoona’s guess.

“So this is where you spent your early life!” said Taecyeon as he looked around.

“Let’s go inside” said Yoona

“Oh- That church!!” Taecyeon pointed at the church not too far from the orphanage.

“You know that church?” Yoona asked

“My parents got a picture of that church in the living room at their house.” Taecyeon explained

“I see~ Now let’s go!”. They walked inside the orphanage and Yoona called out her nanny.

“Nanny!!”

“Oh Yoona!! You came for a visit?” the nanny smiled

“Nanny, I brought along my friend”

“Hello, my name is Ok Taecyeon. Nice to meet you” Taecyeon bowed to the nanny.

“Hello dear, you can just call me nanny like Yoona. Have we met before? You look kind of familiar…”

“I’ve never meet you before…”

“Then never mind. I’m old” the nanny let out a laugh.

“Nanny, where are all the kids?” Yoona asked

“They’re at school. They will be back in an hour.” The nanny answered.

“We will just go around then. Nanny, you can continue with your work.”

“Alright, I’ll go back to the kitchen to help the other nannies. I’ll cook for you two something special! Taecyeon ah, feel free to look around!”

"Thanks nanny~” said Taecyeon.

“Come with me!” Yoona said to Taecyeon. She took him out to the backyard and showed him the neighbor’s house.

“You see that dog? When I was small, her grandma chased me” Yoona pointed at the dog in the neighbor’s house.

“You got bit?” Taecyeon asked

“No. Fortunately my friend was there and saved me. He ended up being a victim though, and I always felt guilty about that.”

“Don’t worry. As long as he got the right treatments, it will just leave scar. See, like mine!” Taecyeon showed Yoona the scar on this right arm.

 “He also got bit right there” said Yoona 

“Oh, what a coincidence!”

“You see the tree right there? We used to just sit there and talked about anything” Yoona pointed to the only big tree in the backyard.

“So how was your early life?” Taecyeon asked

“Well, nothing exciting really. Except those months in 1993’s summer. I met a friend. Those were happy times.”

“The friend, was it the boy from the picture? His name is Ian, right?” As soon as Taecyeon said the name Ian, Yoona looked at him, and asked with suspect.

“Have you ever heard of that name before?”

“Only when you mentioned it to me” Taecyeon answered

“I haven’t seen him again since 1993” she sighed, “He promised to look for me again but he never did.”

“Maybe there is something that prevented him from looking for you?”

“You think so?”

“If he’s like what you described, I believe he’s not the type that will break his promise. Probably there is something that prevent him from looking for you again”

Yoona took a deep breath.

“So for now, I can help him looking over you” Taecyeon smiled

“Yoona!! Taecyeon!! Lunch is ready!!” the nanny called out

“Anyway, let’s go in for lunch.” said Yoona.

The nanny prepared a delicious lunch for them. She made dumplings; those are Yoona’s favorite.

“Nanny’s dumplings are the best!” Yoona hugged her nanny.

“Aww my little girl! Eat as much as you can! You too, Taecyeon! Hope you like my dumplings”

“Thanks nanny for the lunch~” said Taecyeon

 

---

Taecyeon and Yoona enjoyed the nice lunch prepared by the nanny. The kids got back to the orphanage from school. They spent the rest of the days playing with the kids and helping them with homework. When they looked at the clock, it was already 9PM.

“Taecyeon ah, I think we better go. I didn’t know it is this late already. Yoorim probably crying at home.” said Yoona

“Oh no, I promised to buy her something” Taecyeon realized he forgot their ice cream promise.

“What did she ask? We’re going by bus so we can’t stop at places we want”

“Then I’ll get it when we reach your house”

“Nanny, we’re going!!” said Yoona

“Be safe!! It’s pretty dark outside since we don’t get much lights in this area.”

 

---

They walked out to the bus station and waited. The nanny was right, the area doesn’t have much lights; which was unfortunately for Taecyeon since he couldn’t see anything clearly.

“I couldn’t see anything clearly” said Taecyeon

“I didn’t know your eyesight are bad. Why don’t you wear glasses or contacts?”

“Because I don’t have to drive today, I didn’t wear my contact. I can see fine in the morning, but at night not so much”

“Ah~ When is the bus coming!!” Yoona frustrated. She took out her phone and called Taeyeon.

“Unni, how is Yoorim?” Yoona asked Taeyeon

“She’s at the radio station with me. She’s fine so don’t worry. People in here adore her.” said Taeyeon

“Sorry unni, we’re coming back. The bus is so late though.”

“Okay, be careful. See you at home!”

“See you, unnie”

“Yoona, why don’t we call a taxi?” Taecyeon suggested

“The taxi fare is expensive!”

“Don’t worry, I bring enough cash” said Taecyeon, “I’ll call the taxi”

 

---

20 minutes later…

“The taxi is just as long as the bus” said Yoona

“Weird, taxi should be everywhere. Why they’re taking so long!” Taecyeon complained. By then, Taecyeon saw a light coming to their way.

“Yoona! that must be the taxi! It’s so dark here, I wonder if the driver will see us” and Taecyeon decided to come out to the road.

“Taecyeon, what are you doing?” asked Yoona

“So that the driver can see us and stop” Taecyeon said

“Taxi, we’re here!!” Taecyeon waved both of his hands, while standing in the middle of the road. The taxi drove faster. Yoona suddenly had a presentiment that something bad is going to happen.

“Oh no…” she said

“Taecyeon, Ok Taecyeon, come back!! Go back in here!!” Yoona yelled

“Why? It’s coming” Taecyeon looked at Yoona.

“Taecyeon, NO!!!” Yoona yelled out, and as Taecyeon looked back, the car’s lights dazzled his eyes.

“IAN!!!” Yoona ran to Taecyeon just in time the taxi came. In the darkness, the only sound could be hear was the sound of the car trying to stop, but the car was too close to not leave any damage. Taecyeon and Yoona were lying there.

 

“Master!! We got a problem!” Minjae said to Khun through the phone

“What’s the problem?” Khun asked

“I didn’t know the girl would run out and shield him!!”

“What? So how’s she now?”

“I don’t know, she just lay there. No movements from both of them.”

“I told you not to touch the girl!!!” Khun said in angry

“As soon as I saw her, I stopped the car, but the car was too close so I hit them” said Minjae

“Call the police, and leave right away!!” Khun ordered. 

 

 

 

------

my longest chapter so far? haha

sorry i took so long

if any of you have twitter, please add me (kt1171) i usually tweet about my progress on there

to clear thing up...the accident wasn't that bad since Minjae stopped the car (but because it was too close, they still got hit, but not so bad)..so they fainted, not in unconscious state ^^