How To Be Awkward

My Long Lost Memories

 It was finally Saturday, the only day where Chunji could do as he pleased. Chunji was awoken from his precious sleep by the annoying beeping of an alarm

clock. Chunji groaned loudly and threw his blanket as far away as possible. This was indeed not how he liked to start his morning off. He turned his head,

fixing his eyes on L.Joe who was trying by all means to find the ‘snooze’ button on the damn alarm clock with his eyes still closed. Chunji was amused by the

sight and forgot all about being grumpy.

 

L.Joe had managed to kill the beeping sound by now and sat up rubbing his eyes quite violently. The boy looked at Chunji with surprise clearly marking his

face.

 

’’´You awake?’’ He asked as if it wasn’t obvious that he was in fact looking at him at the moment.

’’Don’t I look awake to you?’’ Chunji said in a rough, raspy voice.

 

L.Joe just shrugged and laid back down with a sigh.

 

’’So…What’s the deal with disturbing me at 7:00AM on a freaking Saturday?’’ Chunji said noticing that a small amount of ‘grumpiness’ was still left behind.

 

L.Joe stayed quiet for a while but then rolled onto his side before he answered.

’’I like waking up early, besides…This is the first time my alarm clock has managed to wake you up.’’ L.Joe said innocently, smiling slightly at Chunji’s messed-up sleeping face.

 

He had a pretty good point now that he thought about it. Chunji’s face turned into a pout as he realized that it wasn’t an option to go back to sleep

– Chunji likes to sleep.

 

Chunji felt L.Joe sending him sideways glances as he tried to get up from his bed soundlessly. That strategy was hopeless though due to the fact that Chunji’s

hearing could easily be classified as ‘sublime’.

 

’’So…’’ Chunji broke the silence making L.Joe freeze. ’’Where are you going?’’ He added suspiciously.

’’To the bathroom to get ready, like I always do around this time every morning.’’

 

The other boy was still in his frozen position; balancing on one leg and one arm stretched out towards the door of the bathroom. Chunji bit back a chuckle and tried to withhold his strict face.

 

’’Now that you woke me up I think I should have the privilege of using the bathroom first.’’

Chunji stood up as well, feeling grateful to himself for choosing the bed which was closer to the bathroom.

 

L.Joe changed from his frozen figure to one that mirrored a beast ready to attack something, and he looked at Chunji with challenge shining in his rich

chocolate-brown eyes. Chunji understood the message which was never spoken and took a somewhat similar position to L.Joe’s

– Except Chunji looking like a tired packed-up donkey instead of a feisty beast like L.Joe.

 

Within seconds both of the boys jolted forward and collided with an enormous force. They were stuck in the doorway and the non-stop wiggling only made

the situation worse. The violently flailing limbs were of great danger if one was to make a single wrong move, and their legs were beginning to tangle up.

 

’’Get a grip on yourself, will you!’’ Chunji was getting more and more frustrated from being unable to move freely.

’’It would help if you would just stop being all over the place!’’ L.Joe shot back at Chunji with a similar frustration evident.

 

Chunji obeyed L.Joe’s order but what came next was definitely not planned.

 

The lack of movement from Chunji didn’t result in the solution to the two of them being stuck.  Instead Chunji lost his balance because of their still tangled up legs and as Chunji fell to the floor he took L.Joe with him. Chunji heard a very audible ‘bump’ as if a big boulder was dropped onto the floor, but he didn’t feel even the slightest pain. He lifted himself from the ground, only his arms supporting his body. He opened his eyes and realized why he wasn’t harmed.

 

L.Joe was pinned to the floor right below him and Chunji felt tempted to roll his eyes because of the very awkward and cliché moment.

 

L.Joe’s eyes were squeezed together tightly as he groaned in pain from cushioning Chunji’s fall. Right now he kinda looked like a sneezing dog - and even though Chunji felt bad for inflicting pain on L.Joe, he just couldn’t hold back a goofy smile.

 

Chunji was still hovering above L.Joe as he opened his eyes slowly. Chunji didn’t notice the faint pink blush tinting the orange-haired’s face before he looked away quickly.

 

’’Are you hurt?’’ Chunji asked carefully while admiring the boy’s facial features – He really did look like a cute puppy.

’’Your fat body is crushing me, get off.’’ The tone of L.Joe’s voice not clarifying whether he was mad at Chunji or not.

’’Oh, sorr—WAIT A SECOND! I AM NOT FAT!’’ Chunji exclaimed finally finished analyzing what L.Joe had said.

L.Joe pushed Chunji off gently and stood up putting a frown on his face.

 

’’So… do we have to do this all over again or will you let me use the bathroom first?’’ He looked down at a very childish Chunji who had crossed his arms still offended by L.Joe calling him fat.

’’Yeah whatever, just go,’’ He said not afraid to make it obvious that he wasn’t satisfied with the outcome.

 

L.Joe simply shook his head while walking off to the bathroom.

 

Chunji had a strange feeling inside, like something was moving inside his stomach. But not in a gross way - butterflies or something like that. He was feeling a bit uneasy and embarrassed for having laid on top of his roommate without even thinking about moving away.

 

_______________________

 

Chunji and L.Joe had finally finished their morning rituals and were ready to head off to the entertainment room where a movie would be shown – Saturdays were to be used as an occasion to make new friends via joint activities.

 

As the two roommates made their way towards the big, assembly hall, they found it strange that they didn’t see anybody else heading the same way as themselves. Thinking they were late, they exchanged a quick glance and quickly sped up their walk.

 

They soon figured out why it seemed like they were late.

 

Everybody had already gathered and the buzzing of talking was quite deafening. The seats upfront along with the couches had been taken by the ones who

were wise enough to show up early, leaving the many rows of chairs to choose from. Chunji and L.Joe tried to spot a pair of decent seats, but a loud, deep

voice interrupted them.

 

“Yo, L.Joe! Get over here brat!” L.Joe looked in the direction of the voice and chuckled slightly before pulling Chunji along by the wrist.

 

*Oh nononononono! Of all times why does C.A.P have to show up now?*

 

Chunji could only watch in dismay as L.Joe was leading him closer and closer to the person he had been warned against. The red-haired boy sat down on an empty seat as quietly as possible as he watched C.A.P ruffle L.Joe’s hair and put him in a headlock.

 

“Stop it, stop it!” L.Joe burst out trying to hold back laughter that would match his eye smile - and to Chunji’s surprise, C.A.P let go instantly and made L.Joe sit down instead.

“What have you been up to, man? Haven’t seen you around here before just now!” C.A.P said accusingly raising one eyebrow. “It’s that new rap piece isn’t it? How’s it turning out?” He added in a softer tone.

“Ahhh, that…” Was all L.Joe managed to say before Chunji cut him off.

“Rap Piece? What’s that about?” Chunji said.

L.Joe stuttered a bit before laughing stiffly, eyes darting around the room. The red-faced boy suddenly found his hand very intriguing and left Chunji without an answer.

 

In the meantime, C.A.P quickly noticed a third person’s presence and also recognized Chunji.

 

“Hey…You’re that kid from the other day who bumped into me…” He said, making an intimidating impression on Chunji.

Chunji mumbled curses as he exhaled, catching the attention of L.Joe as he returned from his own little world.

 

“Guys?” L.Joe said as if stating that an explanation was indeed needed.

“L.Joe, who exactly is this guy?” C.A.P narrowed his eyes.

L.Joe sensed the atmosphere tense up and looked from one boy to the other.

“C.A.P, this my Chun..-Roommate!” L.Joe said awkwardly, head jerking towards Chunji.

 

C.A.P stayed silent as he stared at Chunji with a genuinely curious look. Chunji could only sit still, making sure that he didn’t do anything to furtherly tense the mood of C.A.P

 

“I think we met under unfortunate circumstances,” C.A.P said, sounding like a completely different person. “I feel like I caused this uncomfortable mood we have going on here, so let’s just say that this is the first time we met, huh?” He smiled at Chunji, clearly wanting them to put the small incident behind them.

 

Chunji nodded and tried his best to make his smile look natural and sincere – It would take some time for him to get adjusted to this friendship.

 

L.Joe had a satisfied look on his face as he put his arms around the shoulders of Chunji and C.A.P.

“And just like that, another friendship was made thanks to this camp,” L.Joe said staring into thin air, while the remaining two boys grimaced at the cheesiness.

 

However, the peacefulness didn’t last long.

 

 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~

AN

So...

I won't even pretend I had a good reason to leave this story to rot for the past 5 YEARS! 'cause I don't!

But I plan on bringing this story back to life. I won't be promising weekly updates or anything but I feel like this story deserves to be finished properly.

 

And yeah, I'm ending the first update with a cliffhanger >:)